MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Soszynski Recovering from Surgeries, Eyeing UFC 131 Spot

After having surgery on both knees in January to repair meniscus tears, Krzysztof Soszynski is hoping to return in June.

The UFC light heavyweight was seen walking without a limp at the L.A. Fitness Expo just a week after the surgeries.

“I guess my pain tolerance is pretty high,” Soszynski said with a laugh during a Sherdog Radio Network interview conducted at the January fitness event. “From what I’ve been told by my doctors after the surgeries, I should be on my feet right away. It’s the best way to get back right off the bat. The very next day I was already walking around the house and moving a little bit. They had me on crutches for about a day or so, 24 hours, but after that I was able to start moving around. I was back in the gym three days later, helping out some of my teammates.”

Soszynski said he has talked with the UFC about returning June 11 at UFC 131 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

“I feel that’s enough time for me to rehab and get back into the cage,” he explained. “As far as opponents, I’ve always been wanting to fight Stephan Bonnar for the third time. I think the first fights have been great and I think that if we step into the cage again together, it will be one for the ages. Also guys like Forrest Griffin, [Vladimir] Matyushenko, a guy like Matt Hamill -- I would love to step into the cage with those guys and see if I belong in the upper echelon of the top 10.”

Soszynski also said that he has about seven months remaining on his current UFC contract. He is 5-2 since participating on the eighth season of “The Ultimate Fighter.”

“I’m really looking forward to hopefully signing with the UFC on my second contract and having some security for my family,” Soszynski said. “We all do this because we love it. We also want to provide security for our family. … So far, with the way I fight and the exciting fights I’ve had, I don’t think Joe Silva will be coming for me and giving me the pink slip anytime soon. But all it takes with the UFC is that one bad fight, and you might be out.”

In the meantime, Soszynski plans on rehabbing wisely and enjoying his time off.

“Last year was a grueling year for me,” he said. “I had three wars. Two with Stephan Bonnar and a three-rounder with Goran Reljic, all three really tough fights. I’ve been fortunate enough to win a couple of bonuses as well. … It really helps me out to be able to kind of sit back a little bit, heal my body first and most importantly before I jump at the chance to fight right away. I’m not a young guy. I’m 33 years old. My body’s not the 25-year-old machine it was back in the day when I was able to go through anything and everything. I’m going to take my time. I’m going to heal 100 percent before I do any crazy physical activities.”

Feb 7, 2006
Jimmo-Newton Title Rematch Bolsters MFC 29 Line-Up in Windsor

It's a big rematch for the "Big Deal."

Canadian standout promotion Maximum Fighting Championship announced Thursday that its April 8 card in Windsor, Ontario -- MFC 29 "Conquer" -- will feature a light heavyweight title co-feature in which rising prospect Ryan Jimmo will stake his MFC 205-pound crown in a rematch against former champion Emanuel Newton.

Jimmo and Newton met at MFC 23 "Unstoppable" in December 2009, with the former Canadian national karate champion Jimmo earning a unanimous decision victory.

The 29-year-old Jimmo, a Maritime native now based in Edmonton, Alberta, won the vacant MFC strap on Feb. 25, battering hard-swinging Dwayne Lewis. Jimmo broke Lewis' left orbital bone, causing a ghastly hematoma that forced the bout's end in the third period.

On the same MFC 28 card in Enoch, Alberta, Newton took an impressive submission over UFC veteran Rodney Wallace, choking him out in the second round. Newton, 27, earned MFC's light heavyweight title with a unanimous decision over Roger Hollett in December 2008, but lost the title to rugged veteran Trevor Prangley in his first title defense five months later.

The April 8 bill -- one of the first sanctioned cards in the newly-regulated province of Ontario -- takes place at The Colosseum at Caesars Windsor and will air live on HDNet. The card will be headlined by welterweight ace Douglas Lima defending his title against UFC veteran Terry Martin.

In lightweight action, UFC veterans Drew Fickett and Hermes Franca square off, while in his promotional debut, Marcus Davis takes on Kajan Johnson in a lightweight affair.

Feb 7, 2006
Faber on Cruz: ‘He Chose Me as His Enemy, and I Accept’

It is no secret that Urijah Faber is not a big fan of Dominick Cruz.

During Wednesday’s UFC 128 media conference call, the former World Extreme Cagefighting featherweight king reiterated that point, stating that if he seems uncharacteristically talkative about the UFC’s 135-pound champion, it is because he is speaking the truth.

“I’m the kind of guy who follows my heart. When people ask me questions, I’ll tell them the real answer,” said Faber. “I don’t really like [Cruz] very much. You keep hearing about it, because everybody keeps asking about it. The bottom line is I think the guy kind of chose me as an enemy, and I accept. We fought once, and we’re going to do it again.”

The pair first met in March 2007, when Faber defended his 145-pound title against the WEC-debuting Cruz by guillotining “The Dominator” in 98 seconds. A Cruz-Faber rematch has been widely anticipated since “The California Kid” made the cut to bantamweight last November.

With the 14th season of “The Ultimate Fighter” set to feature bantamweights and featherweights, many have speculated that Faber and Cruz would be natural fits to coach opposite one another on the reality show, and then square off for Cruz’s title.

Before Faber gets his crack at the belt, however, he must first defeat fellow former WEC champion Eddie Wineland. In their respective UFC debuts, Faber and Wineland will lock horns in the co-main event of UFC 128, which goes down March 19 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

Though Faber does not anticipate any Octagon jitters during his debut with the WEC’s big brother organization, the 31-year-old isn't ruling them out.

“I’m excited about the debut, but to be honest, I’ve been in some big events before. It’s not too much different for me, really,” said Faber. “But then, you can always say that. Once you get there, it could be a whole different story.”

In Wineland, Faber faces the WEC’s first-ever bantamweight champion. Though Faber admits that Wineland’s punching prowess is impressive, the Team Alpha Male founder believes he’s simply the more complete fighter.

“I’m excited to fight Eddie. We both are fast-paced, and we go for the kill,” said Faber. “I think Eddie has extremely fast hands, and he’s got real straight punches that land. I think, because they are so straight and they have so much structure behind them, that they’re powerful. I would say that he’s a well-rounded fighter, but not compared to me. I’m very good at wrestling, jiu-jitsu and striking. I think he’s very good at one thing, and I think that will be the difference.”

Faber’s first appearance in the UFC will come in just his second bout at 135 pounds. After fighting at 155 and 145 pounds for much of his career, Faber decided to drop to bantamweight after losing three of four fights, as well as his featherweight strap. While much of Faber’s early career was focused on putting on the pounds, he now must keep an eye on his weight for the exact opposite purpose.

“When I first started fighting, the UFC didn’t have a 155-pound weight class, and no one had 145- or 135-pound weight classes. So, I had to go up two weight classes, and I’ve been constantly trying to put on weight for years. I kept getting opportunities to fight for world championships, and I’m never going to let an opportunity like that slip,” said Faber. “I’m able to really eat clean and I feel incredible. I feel stronger walking around at 151 than I did at 157, because I was so stuffed all the time.”

If Faber does defeat Wineland, he will likely receive his shot at the elusive Cruz and his championship belt. Should Faber be successful in his venture, the bantamweight believes he will enter a realm reserved for only an elite list of fighters.

“I think when people look back at the [top] pound-for-pound guys, they are going to ask, ‘Who were champions in different weights?’ I’m going to be one of those guys. I did the hard part first, which is the heavier weight class. Now I get [a shot] at the lighter weight.”

Feb 7, 2006
Inside Shooto’s Scandal, Legacy and Future

Since its inception in 1985, Shooto has provided a comprehensive and sporting account of mixed martial arts. However, that reputation and legacy are now part of a heated backroom debate encircling the world of Shooto.

Recently, former Shooto world champion Noboru Asahi has led the charge in shaking up the Shooto regime. A recent petition from Asahi -- signed and supported by various Shooto fighters and gym leaders -- inquires into the financial operations of the Japanese Shooto Association, the International Shooto Commission and the role of one of its principal members, Taro Wakabayashi, in those affairs. According to Asahi, the necessity of this petition arose over concerns of Wakabayashi’s unofficial autocratic control over the association and its non-public finances.

With a multi-tiered amateur and professional system in place, both in Japan and worldwide, Shooto has long prided itself on building fighters from the ground up. It is a sentiment inherent in the two kanji characters that comprise the Shooto name itself, meaning “learn combat.”

Its overseers, fighters and fans view Shooto not as a promotion but as its own sport. Shooto is thus governed by regional associations and an overseeing international commission comprised of Shooto pioneers and officials who operate its amateur circuit, license amateur and professional fighters and cooperate with independent promoters to hold sanctioned Shooto events. Its goal is to provide professional transparency in the name of sport.

The driven and opinionated Asahi has rallied support to bring major changes to Shooto and its governing body. Leader of the Tokyo Yellow Mans gym and trainer of both UFC alum Yoshiyuki Yoshida and Shooto veteran Hiroshi Nakamura, Asahi has been an active proponent in Japan’s Shooto community despite not being an official part of it for the past seven years.

Asahi was removed from the Japanese Shooto Association (JSA) in August 2003, owing to what he claims were his strong opinions that Shooto needed to co-promote with fellow grassroots promotions such as Pancrase and Deep; Shooto had a longstanding rivalry with the former until 2009, due to its origins in professional wrestling and questions about the legitimacy of some of Pancrase’s early bouts. Until recently, the JSA maintained that any licensed Shootor who competed in Pancrase would have his licensed revoked, while Pancrase forced competitors who trained out of official Shooto facilities to use pseudonyms for their gyms in official Pancrase press material.

Familiar with Shooto politics, Asahi has now stepped forward to challenge Wakabayashi and investigate Shooto’s balance books.

“I’ve been outside of the association for almost eight years, but I’m standing up now because others in Shooto have been coming to me for years, telling me about problems and asking for help,” he said. “They tell me that I’m the only one who can talk to Wakabayashi about this.”

The petition’s chief allegation is financial fraud on Wakabayashi’s part. Until January, Wakabayashi’s official position in the Shooto Association was as “chairman for the spread of the [Shooto] amateur system.” It is not an executive position by design, nor a position designed to handle Shooto’s finances. However, Shooto gym leaders that have participated in association meetings distinguish Wakabayashi as being in charge of all facets of Shooto’s operations, including the management of Shooto’s money.

“In attempting to justify the conversion of association funds into private property, Wakabayashi shut out the voices of those around him,” claimed Shooting Gym Hakkei’s Yoshihiko Watanabe. “We have requested, mainly through Asahi, that Wakabayashi explain these matters to us, but Wakabayashi has remained silent from beginning to end. We’ve thus dismissed him from the association.”

In 1992, a 27-year-old Wakabayashi left his job at Japanese advertising company Dentsu Tec to become a staff member of Akira Maeda’s Rings Fighting Network and, later, K-1 in its infancy. In 1994, he entered the world of Shooto as a matchmaker and went on to become the driving force behind its comprehensive amateur system, as well as serving as a referee and a judge.

Sherdog.com’s requests for comment from Wakabayashi have gone unanswered, as have attempts by Shooto’s officials to contact him. However, one of his close friends, Shooto legend and former 154-pound world champion Yuki Nakai, has continued to speak on his behalf.

“First of all, the assumption that Wakabayashi was diverting funds for his personal use is still currently unproven,” Nakai said.

According to Nakai, based upon consultation with Japan’s national tax office, the Japanese Shooto Association is not a formal and legally recognized corporate body by the Japanese government. As a result, it has no legally recognized bylaws or corporate statutes, thus leaving financial liability and rights to its nominal leader. By default, that leader for the past decade has been Wakabayashi, his title as amateur Shooto chief notwithstanding.

Thus, whether or not Wakabayashi appropriated funds from Shooto earnings, Nakai says the national tax office is only concerned with the proper reporting of revenue such that it can collect its taxes, regardless of who claims that revenue.

“The national tax office requires whoever received money to report their business earnings within the next five years. There’s a possibility this may have already been done,” says Nakai.

Though the law is unconcerned with where the money goes so long as it collects its taxes, the notion that Wakabayashi may have mishandled Shooto’s funds remains a point of contention for the Shooto community. Further, if Wakabayashi could legally mask Shooto’s financial activity unchallenged it also highlights another controversial matter: what is alleged to be his complete authority over what is, in theory, a community enterprise. This point was a hot topic amongst Japan’s tight-knit community of Shootors in the Kanto region.

Kanto is home to several prefectures and the capital city of Tokyo, where much of Japanese government, industry and modern culture are focused, MMA included. The petition thus reflects a heavy Kanto-based contingent of Shootors and gym leaders, such as Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto, Takanori Gomi, Hayato "Mach" Sakurai, Shinichi "B.J." Kojima, Shuichiro Katsumura and “Wicky” Akiyo Nishiura.

Perhaps most profound, the petition also holds the signature of Shooto’s greatest icon and resident hero, Rumina Sato. Another famous Shootor, former Shooto 168-pound world champion Sakurai, was outspoken in his opinion of the Wakabayashi-era Shooto association.

“The association members were awful, and they were unable to clearly show how the money flowed. It was also terrible that the association head [Wakabayashi] used the money without clearly showing how or why he did it,” said Sakurai.

“When Shooto parted ways with Satoru Sayama, veteran Shootors created a new system with Wakabayashi as its chief planner,” said another former Shooto world champion, Gutsman gym leader Naoki Sakurada. “As the Shooto association grew, however, it never developed official protocols and Wakabayashi managed Shooto with complete authority for almost 10 years. A community of discontented Shooto members grew as a result.”

In compiling signatures for the petition, Asahi traveled throughout Japan from August to December 2010. Collecting signatures in the Kanto region from a discontented Shooto community was simple enough, but while he found many outside that agreed with the petition, collecting their signatures was far more difficult.

“It was difficult for people outside of the Kanto region to sign because it’s harder for them to realize what’s going on here. They’re not always well-informed living outside of Kanto,” Asahi explains. “Some people outside of Kanto told me they believe in what we’re doing here, but that they didn’t want to sign for fear of getting in trouble. For many of them, Wakabayashi is like god.”

Flanked by Sato and Watanabe on Dec. 23, Asahi and company personally presented the petition to open Shooto’s finances to Wakabayashi at the East Japan Amateur Shooto Opening Tournament in Tokyo. A video posted to YouTube by a spectator documents the event and shows Wakabayashi responding to Asahi with a middle finger. The subsequent fallout may have resulted in Wakabayashi being removed from his position and relieved of duty on Dec. 28.

While information regarding Shooto’s finances over the years was not made available even after Wakabayashi’s removal, Asahi and company were able to discover how much money the association bank account contained in a Jan. 10 emergency association meeting.

“The only people who can check the association bank account are Wakabayashi and Nakai. The account is under Wakabayashi’s name as ‘Taro Wakabayashi: Shooto Association.’ At the last association meeting, when we asked Nakai how much money we have, he told us 200,000 yen (approximately $2,400). This was just after the East Japan Amateur Tournament, which should have brought in an additional 500,000 yen (approximately $6,000),” said Asahi.

As co-founder and co-owner of Japan’s most prolific chain of Brazilian jiu-jitsu schools, Paraestra, Asahi claims Nakai and Wakabayashi’s long-term affiliation as business partners enables Nakai access to Wakabayashi’s business documents -- documents that Asahi and company have been pushing to be made public. Once Nakai divulged the amount of money in Shooto’s account, Asahi and the petitioners were taken aback, as the total was far less than they
had expected.

“By our estimates, Shooto should profit at least 2,000,000 yen ($24,000) a year. There’s a lot of money that cannot be accounted for since a lot of it comes in as cash. Where did it all go?” Asahi asked.

In the wake of Wakabayashi’s dismissal, then-Association president Nakai apologized to the Shooto community for not having examined Wakabayashi’s actions more closely, offering his resignation at the Jan. 10 meeting. Though showing a willingness to help, Nakai also relinquished responsibility to Asahi and company for further investigation into Shooto’s finances. However, according to Asahi, Nakai is not helping the investigation as much as he could.

“We told him that we were going to the national tax office to inquire further, and he strangely responds, ‘Thank you very much,’” said Asahi, incredulous. “I don’t understand why. The point is for him to help us because he’s the only other person besides Wakabayashi that can. After we heard this, Watanabe and I asked each other, ‘What can we possibly do now?’”

“It is the opinion of one of the attorneys [Wakabayashi] consulted that, as far as the association [legally] stands at the moment, there is no compelling reason to open up its records to a third party. It’s perhaps better to look toward the law for some kind of resolution,” said Nakai.

While there is no pressure outside of the Shooto community compelling Wakabayashi to turn over his records, responsibility will fall to Paraestra and Nakai at the next association meeting, according to Asahi. Should Nakai unwilling or unable to produce those records, however, there is not much else the community can do, outside of removing or blocking all Paraestra personnel from the association. Unless the national tax office intervenes with its own investigation, the association’s financial history may never be known.

“Nobody knows where the money went, and nobody is saying anything. Wakabayashi isn’t standing up for himself, and the tax office has no idea [about it] because no one is sure if he paid taxes,” said Enson Inoue, another former Shooto world champion.

In the midst of this turmoil, the JSA has had its cabinet dissolved, making way for a newly elected association to take effect in April. According to Asahi, the creation of the new association will serve as the first time members will be voted in by the Shooto community, rather than arbitrarily selected and appointed by Wakabayashi.

“Transparency is the most important thing to the people that signed this petition,” said Asahi. “I’ve seen and been involved in other sports, and transparency and accurate accounting are absolutely integral to operation. If everything remains as vague as it has been over the years, Shooto cannot survive. We’re doing this for the benefit of Shooto’s future.”

It is a sentiment and goal with which Nakai agrees.

“Bringing transparency to the operation, taxation and financial reporting of the association is a natural and right thing to do. Even though we do not collect participation fees from the official Shooto gyms, we still collect participation fees from amateur Shooto applicants, and thus have betrayed their collective trust. There really is no excuse for that,” said Nakai. “I think we were all too involved in the operation of Shooto as a sport. Last June, when I was asked to become the association president, I thought it would be the perfect chance to finally achieve these goals, but just as we were about to make progress, these issues came up.”

In spite of the allegations, Wakabayashi is a difficult figure for many in the Shooto community because of his overwhelming success in fostering Shooto’s much-celebrated amateur system across all 47 Japanese prefectures and beyond.

“Even though his title was simply chairman for the spread of the amateur system, he almost single-handedly managed the operation and business affairs of amateur Shooto,” Nakai said.

Traveling 365 days a year to every corner of Japan to coordinate amateur tournaments, Wakabayashi was a one-man army that mobilized generations of young Japanese to pursue amateur Shooto in the hopes of one day becoming licensed professional fighters and, eventually, stars in the world’s largest promotions. Last October, the 45-year-old workaholic Wakabayashi, exhausted and overburdened, suffered a stroke. Wakabayashi was temporarily relieved of refereeing and coordinating responsibilities in order to undergo rehabilitation, which continues to this day. The stroke may have been a sign that, despite his best intentions, the days of Wakabayashi’s hand paving Shooto’s path alone were over. No longer could his health take it, nor could those in the Shooto community.

“We believe that Wakabayashi’s actions count as criminal activity. However, we haven’t thoroughly pursued the matter to its end because we feel some forgiveness for him,” said Watanabe.

Regardless of his fate, Wakabayashi contributed a great deal to cementing the foundation of one of Japan’s most important MMA institutions, one which has survived the cycles of prosper and debt that have toppled so many promotions. It is not a fact lost upon his contemporaries.

In addition to voting in a new association for April, Asahi and the current provisional association are taking this opportunity to further evolve Shooto and guarantee its place in MMA for years to come.

“We’ve come to a point where we must rethink our organizational structure and procedures. I think this is a chance to grow further and to receive recognition from the legal and social worlds,” said Sakurada.

“From now on, I believe that the association and Shooto must look to raise fighters toward the goal of competing with UFC and world-ranked fighters,” said Watanabe. “These past few years, it has been Wakabayashi and those who followed him that have dictated how the sport of Shooto is conducted. The result is that Shooto has become isolated from world trends, becoming a Japan-only kind of combat sport.”

One of the primary targets in Shooto’s look to the future is its rule set, a constant bone of contention within the Shooto community. For example, it was not until 2009 that pro Shooto abolished its knockdown count, seen as a particularly archaic bit of legislation. The provisional association -- currently comprised of Asahi, Watanabe, Sakurada, Alive’s Yochi Suzuki, K’z Factory’s Kazuhiro Kusayanagi, Chokushinkai’s Junji Ikoma, Paraestra’s Takashi Ochi and Purebred Omiya’s Hisao Ikeda -- is looking to gather different MMA rule sets from around the globe for evaluation as the next evolution in Shooto’s rules.

In a Jan. 30 blog post on the official Shooto News blog, temporary Association president Yoichi Suzuki outlined some coming changes for the Association.

In particular, there will be an expanded role for official Shooto gym leaders as Association members, as well as eligibility to be voted into the offices of Association president, vice president, and auditor for two-year terms. The goal is to ensure official Shooto gyms will have a voice in the conduct of Shooto and its Association.

In the realm of amateur Shooto, the operation of the various amateur tournaments will proceed as they have in previous years, but registration fees will be coordinated by the new Association board to be voted in at the end of March, and handled initially by regional amateur event promoters for the months prior.

Hayato Sakurai is personally campaigning to reform the amateur system by adding a greater range of competitive classes to its current dual class amateur and professional ranks, which feature two levels of amateur competition, classes D and C, and two levels of pro competition, classes B and A. Further, “Mach” hopes to see the banning of headgear, as well as the application of Vaseline for cut prevention -- a practice still largely unemployed in Japan -- and the allowance of ground-and-pound in all bouts.

Asahi’s own proposal is one that will significantly change the look and feel of Shooto while preserving its intent, if ratified and approved by the new association.

“I want to introduce the Unified Rules of MMA and a cage to Shooto. I’m only one man, but now my voice can finally be heard and we can discuss it,” Asahi said with a grin. “Japan is fairly isolated, so we don’t realize how behind we are. I’m someone that has always said that we need to use the unified rules and a cage because we’re behind. Until now, the only person to understand this was Watanabe because we both have had fighters [Yoshida and Takeya Mizugaki] in Zuffa promotions. We’ve seen how they perform there, but no one else has that same experience.”

Asahi posits that adopting the unified rules will help further a global standard of MMA, as well as answer the desire of many young Japanese fighters to acquire cage experience in preparation for someday fighting in the UFC -- a promotion Asahi compares to Major League Baseball in relation to Japan’s Nippon Professional Baseball.

“If they go abroad and lose, it’s for a reason. How can we survive in a system we’re not brought up in? Japanese people today don’t understand that the UFC is the best league in the world now. We need to catch up. All the best fighters are there, and they’re getting paid,” Asahi said, citing recent UFC acquisitions like Yamamoto and Michihiro Omigawa as evidence that Japan’s best are going stateside rather than sticking around in their homeland.

The hope is for future changes to secure Shooto’s place in Japanese MMA’s future now, while Japanese MMA is seeing much turmoil. It is fitting that leading Shooto promoter Sustain has titled its 2011 event series “Shootor’s Legacy.”

“We may not be able to make a promotion here that can compete with the UFC anymore, but we can at least make great fighters that can compete there successfully,” said a hopeful Asahi. “It doesn’t really work the other way around. You don’t see [Alex Rodriguez] coming from the MLB to play in Japanese baseball. The best are in the UFC now, so why not create our best fighters here and send them over to the United States? Someday, we’ll have an MMA version of Ichiro [Suzuki] or [soccer player Shinji] Kagawa.”

Feb 7, 2006
Defying doctors' expectations, UFC 128's Kurt Pellegrino ready to test ruptured knee

Kurt Pellegrino would rather do things the hard way in his next fight.

He wants to go the distance with Gleison Tibau – and not because he wants to play it safe. He wants a knockdown, drag-out brawl that wins a "Fight of the Night" bonus check. He wants to be very, very sore the next day.

A 15-second knockout would be a severe letdown.

Pellegrino's life hasn't exactly been easy in the past 10 months, but he's convinced that it's better this way. In his most recent fight, he went 15 minutes with his knee torn three ways. There's nothing that can be worse than that.

If there is, Pellegrino (15-5 MMA, 7-4 UFC) will try to find it next Saturday when he meets Tibau (21-7 MMA, 7-5 UFC) on the preliminary card of UFC 128, which takes place March 19 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The March 19 bout streams live on Facebook in advance of the event's pay-per-view card.

People were telling Pellegrino that his career as he knew it was over. He had torn his ACL – an injury that strikes fear into the heart of every athlete – and he would be out for a year at the minimum. He could get better and fight again, but it would never be the same. Or it would take him a long time before it was.

That pissed him off, of course. There was no way he was going to let a serious injury derail a career he had worked so hard to build over a decade. He would get back into the gym, like the week after he blew out his knee in the first round of a fight with George Sotiropoulos at UFC 116.

He would lift weights, take long incline walks on a treadmill, and get on the stationary bike. He would document it on video and send it to his manager to get a booking. Twelve months on the bench? Yeah, right.

Pellegrino is the guy who smiled like a goof after biting a hole in his lip due to a kick to the face. He dyes his hair all colors of the rainbow. He posts pictures of himself in costume on Twitter. And he's the guy who agreed to a fight what many would say is a bad matchup for post-ACL life at a time earlier than most would choose.

In short, he's kind of crazy.

"One-hundred-fourteen days ago, (UFC matchmaker) Joe Silva calls me and says, 'Hey, you want to fight Gleison Tibau?'" Pellegrino told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "And I was like, 'Oh, a southpaw that's ginormous, super-strong – biggest lightweight in the division and runs everybody over? Yeah, I'll fight that guy.'

"Good thinking."

He jokes, but there's a reason he took the fight. His true aim is to prove wrong the people who told him he was damaged goods. So he's taking on a guy who undoubtedly will test the stability of his knee with takedown after takedown. That's to say nothing of the punches and kicks that will fly his way.

"You couldn't stack the cards against me any more than Gleison," Pellegrino said.

This could all backfire. His knee might not be as strong as he thought. He could blow it out again in the first round of the fight, as he did with Sotiropoulos. That would leave him with back-to-back losses in the UFC after a four-win streak that had him on the cusp of breaking into the lightweight division's upper tier. But he doesn't think about it that way. After months on end of rehabilitation and systematically willing himself to get better, he said he's going full steam against Tibau.

"I'm not a weak individual," Pellegrino said. "There are a lot of people out there – when they fight in the UFC or whatever organization they fight for – when they lose, they go to doing drugs and go feeling sorry for themselves.

"Losing is the greatest thing that could ever happen to any human if you're a true champion. When I lost that fight, I knew that wasn't me fighting. That was just me living that day. I just took everything he had, and I had no answer for him because I couldn't answer for myself."

Now that he's healthy, he plans on answering everything that's thrown at him next Saturday.

Hopefully, Tibau will agree to fight the full 15 minutes.

"I've got to tell you – I'm ready," he said. "I'm so excited for the challenge that I don't think I've ever trained like this in my entire life."

Feb 7, 2006
Fans invited to Friday's Bellator 36 weigh-ins in Louisiana

Fans are invited to Friday's official fighter weigh-ins and the pre-event press conference for Bellator 36.

The festivities take place at Shreveport Municipal Auditorium in Louisiana beginning at 6 p.m. ET (5 p.m. CT local time).

The same venue hosts Saturday's MTV2-broadcast event, which features the opening round of the organization's eight-man lightweight tournament.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) will have a live stream of the weigh-ins and presser, as well as live weigh-in text results, on Friday.

Bellator 36, which is the second event of the organization's 12-week fourth season, is the fifth to take place in Louisiana but the first held in Shreveport. Co-headlining the show are former WEC champ "Razor" Rob McCullough vs. Patricky Freire and two-time tourney runner-up Toby Imada vs. Ferrid Kheder, both of which are tourney fights.

The tournament winner earns $100,000 in total pay and a title shot with current champ Eddie Alvarez.

The full Bellator 36 card includes:

MAIN CARD

* Patricky Freire vs. Rob McCullough (lightweight tourney quarterfinal)
* Toby Imada vs. Ferrid Kheder (lightweight tourney quarterfinal)
* Carey Vanier vs. Lloyd Woodward (lightweight tourney quarterfinal)
* Mike Chandler vs. Marcin Held (lightweight tourney quarterfinal)

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Kelly Leo vs. Chad Leonhardt
* Kevin Aguilar vs. Matt Hunt
* Kalvin Hackney vs. Josh Shockley
* Booker Arthur vs. Javon Duhon

Feb 7, 2006
Friday's Shark Fights 14 lineup finalized, five bouts slated for HDNet

The lineup for Friday's Shark Fights 14 lineup is official with 13 fights, five of which air live on HDNet.

Headlining the event is a middleweight bout Matt Horwich (26-16-1) and Danillo Villefort (12-3), and female notables Tara LaRosa (19-2) and Carina Damm (15-5) meet in the co-headliner.

HDNet's carries the event live at 10 p.m. ET (7 p.m. PT) with broadcasters Mike Schiavello and Frank Trigg calling the action.

The event, which is the latest from the Texas-based promotion, takes place at Fair Park City Coliseum in Lubbock. The show, which is the first of 2011, marks the debut of Shark Fights on HDNet.

Horwich, a former IFL champ who's fought for the UFC and Bellator, makes his Shark Fights debut. Since a career-worst 1-5 skid from 2008 to 2010, he's won two of three fights, including a submission victory over one-time UFC title-challenger Thales Leites and a TKO win over three-time NCAA Division I national wrestling champion Jake Rosholt.

Villefort fights for the second time under the Shark Fights banner. The one-time UFC and WEC fighter took a bout on a week's notice and scored a decision victory over veteran Joey Villasenor at Shark Fights 13 in September. It was his third straight win and his eighth victory in nine fights.

LaRosa, meanwhile, saw a 15-fight win streak come to an end with a 2010 split-decision defeat to Roxanne Modafferi. The BodogFIGHT veteran, though, rebounded in November with a unanimous-decision victory over recent Strikeforce title challenger Takayo Hashi. The win earned LaRosa the DaMMAge Fight League 125-pound women's championship.

Damm, a fellow BodogFIGHT vet, looks to snap out of a two-fight skid. After posting a 10-fight win streak, Damm suffered a submission loss to Hitomi Akano at Strikeforce Challengers 10 and then a TKO defeat to Cat Zingano at a December regional event in North Dakota.

The full card includes:

MAIN CARD

* Matt Horwich vs. Danillo Villefort
* Carina Damm vs. Tara LaRosa
* Mike Bronzoulis vs. Lucas Lopez
* Alex Cisne vs. Eric Davila
* Joseph Sandoval vs. Sean Shakour

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Layne Hernandez vs. Gabe Vasquez
* Donnie Frye vs. Quaint Kempf
* Derek Cansino vs. Larry Garcia
* Ryan Benoit vs. Matt Espinoza
* Gino Davila vs. Matt Dodgen
* Mark Martinez vs. Jonathan Valencia
* Tommy Gomez vs. Cesar Rodriguez Jr.
* Jeremy Gauna vs. Matt Hobar

Feb 7, 2006
Officials confirm "UFC 130: Edgar vs. Maynard III" main card, ticket on-sale date

Officials today confirmed the pay-per-view main card for May's UFC 130 event, which features a third meeting between lightweight champion Frankie Edgar (13-1-1 MMA, 8-1-1 UFC) and Gray Maynard (10-0-1 MMA, 8-0-1 UFC).

Other PPV bouts include light heavyweights Matt Hamill (10-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (31-8 MMA, 6-2 UFC), heavyweights Frank Mir (14-5 MMA, 12-5 UFC) vs. Roy Nelson (15-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC), heavyweights Travis Browne (10-0-1 MMA, 1-0-1 UFC) vs. Stefan Struve (21-4 MMA, 5-2 UFC), and middleweights Jorge Santiago (23-8 MMA, 1-2 UFC) vs. Brian Stann (10-3 MMA, 4-2 UFC).

Tickets for the May 28 event go on sale March 19, though a pre-sale period begins March 17.

UFC 130 takes place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. It's the sixth straight event the UFC has hosted in Las Vegas on Memorial Day weekend, and the PPV will be the second to air at a new time of 9 p.m. ET (6 p.m. PT). The earlier timeslot debuts in April with UFC 129.

Officials had already revealed all of the UFC 130 PPV bouts, as well as preliminary-card fights of welterweights Thiago Alves (18-7 MMA, 10-4 UFC) vs. Rick Story (12-3 MMA, 5-1 UFC) and bantamweights Brad Pickett (20-5 MMA, 0-0 UFC) vs. Miguel Torres (39-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC).

The public on-sale period for the event begins at 1 p.m. ET on March 19. UFC Fight Club members can purchase tickets on March 17 at 1 p.m. ET, and UFC.com newsletter subscribers can buy their seats March 18 at 1 p.m. ET. Tickets range from $75 to $800.

The latest UFC 130 card includes:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard (for lightweight title)
* Matt Hamill vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
* Frank Mir vs. Roy Nelson
* Travis Browne vs. Stefan Struve
* Jorge Santiago vs. Brian Stann

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Thiago Alves vs. Rick Story
* Brad Pickett vs. Miguel Torres

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 128's Anthony Njokuani ready to continue WEC vets' winning ways

When Zuffa LLC officials closed the doors on the WEC and moved most of the fighters to its sister promotion, the UFC, WEC vet Anthony Njokuani heard the rumblings about the overlapping lightweights.

"We're the redheaded [stepchildren] like everyone called us, right?" Njokuani recently joked while a guest on MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

But following recent UFC victories by fellow WEC notables Donald Cerrone, Danny Castillo and Shane Roller, Njokuani (13-4 MMA, 0-0 WEC) now hopes to continue the streak when he makes his own UFC debut against Edson Barboza (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at next week's UFC 128 event.

Njokuani and Barboza, two prolific strikers, meet March 19 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. Their bout is one of two airing on a Spike TV "UFC Prelims" special prior to the night's pay-per-view broadcast.

"I knew we had the skills to hang with each and every one of the UFC fighters," said Njokuani, who went 4-3 with a record three consecutive "Knockout of the Night" awards in the WEC. "The only thing is that we needed the opportunity, which we got. And we're doing well now. I can't wait to get in there and show everyone what I've got."

Six of Edson Barboza's seven MMA wins have ended via knockout, and 22 of his 25 kickboxing victories have ended in the same manner. Meanwhile, eight of Njokuani victories have been registered by knockout.

The smart money is on their UFC 128 matchup resulting in a similar outcome.

"I know this is going to be a headbanger fight," Njokuani said. "I'm so looking forward to it. Edson Barboza is a great fighter, and I like a challenge. He's a challenge I want to go in there and conquer. ... We're going to splash a lot of blood out there."

Following consecutive TKO wins over Bart Palaszewski, Muhsin Corbbrey and Chris Horodecki (all of which earned "KO of the Night" awards), the Nigerian-born Njokuani was within arm's reach of a WEC title shot. But losses to Roller and Maciej Jewtuszko put his WEC career in jeopardy before he rebounded for a final WEC victory over Edward Faaloloto.

That two-year run in the organization, which included a main-card fight on the WEC's first and only PPV broadcast, has him confident heading into the UFC and MMA's biggest stage.

"The octagon jitters won't hit this brother," he said. "I won't feel them at all."

With height and a long reach, his knockout power, and a crowd-pleasing style, Njokuani quickly become a fan favorite in the WEC. But his lack of a solid ground game soon was exposed, especially in a quick loss to Roller at WEC 48.

Despite facing a fellow striker in Barboza, Njokuani said he's drilled his jiu jitsu extensively ahead of next week's fight.

He thinks fans will see a more complete "African Assassin" come UFC 128.

"I'm extremely confident (in my ground game) now," he said. "I've been working with all those black belts at Sergio Penha's gym. I'm not getting caught in anything. I'm playing it smart in the game. My ground game has come up a couple notches for sure."

Feb 7, 2006
Jay Hieron Using Bellator Tournament To Show Everyone He’s Back

Even after being out of MMA for a year, when Jay Hieron made his return this past Saturday at Bellator 35, he felt like he had never left.

“It felt great,” exclaimed Hieron. “I went through a rough year last year, but I got back in there and felt like I hadn’t lost a step, it was just right back to business.”

While Hieron feels like he hadn’t missed a beat, he told MMAWeekly.com that the time off wasn’t easy.

“I’m human,” he said. “I got down for a bit because when you can’t really make a living from your job doing something you love and it’s taken away from you and you’re not working, it’s rough.

“I had a lot of emotion, but throughout the whole time I stayed in the gym and kept working hard and stayed positive knowing it would turn around.”

Unable to get in the cage, Hieron spent the time working on his game.

“That’s definitely one thing I can say is that in the time off I had a chance to step back and push the reset button on everything and get all my skills sharper,” he stated.

“When you’re training for a fight you really don’t have a chance to learn new techniques and try new things because you’re always on that grind.”

While Hieron was successful against Anthony Lapsley, defeating him via rear naked choke halfway through the first round, the fight is not without dispute.

“A lot of people are saying it was a controversial stoppage, but it is what it is,” commented Hieron. “Regardless, another 30 seconds, another minute, he would have been out of there.

“He would have been unconscious for sure. It was getting tighter and I’m a fighter, not a ref, but from my standpoint, he was going out.”

Considered one of the top welterweights in the world prior to his year off, many feel this season’s welterweight tournament is Hieron’s to win or lose, but he doesn’t see it that way.

“That’s not me saying that, that’s the media and everybody else’s predictions,” he stated. “I don’t pay attention to that or listen to that. I’m just another guy in the tournament trying to make my mark, trying to move forward and basically just fight one fight at a time.

“I’m not looking past anybody. My next fight is Brent Weedman and that’s all I’m looking forward to right now.”

Hieron’s outlook is nothing new to him, as it’s the one he’s had his entire career, top ranking or not.

“I’m a guy who doesn’t look too far past my next fight,” he said. “That’s how you slip on banana peels. I’m definitely focused and I’m one fight at a time.

“People keep asking about (Ben) Askren and all these other guys that are in it; they’re not even on my radar right now. I’ve got one guy on my radar and that’s Brent.”

Having continued where he left off, it could very well be Hieron’s time again to shine in 2011.

“I’d like to get a shout-out for my team Xtreme Couture and all my sponsors,” he concluded. “All my fans, follow me on Twitter @jayhieron. I appreciate you guys supporting me.

“I was off the radar for a minute, and this is a nice little way to return. MTV2 and Bellator’s a great showcase for my talent. It’s time to let everybody know that I’m back.”

Feb 7, 2006
Four Fighters Leave American Top Team Amidst Apparent Contract Dispute

Four of the top fighters from American Top Team have split with the Florida based program and are now training independently for their upcoming fights.

Danillo Villefort first broke the news when appearing on MMAWeekly Radio prior to his fight in Shark Fights 14 against Matt Horwich.

“No,” Villefort answered when asked if he was still with American Top Team. “Now I’m just working with JZ (Cavalcante), Jorge (Santiago) and my brother Yuri (Villefort).”

Sources have indicated to MMAWeekly.com that contract issues were at the heart of the fighters leaving American Top Team, but no further details have been released at this time.

Representatives from ATT did post on the Underground Forum, simply stating that the fighters left the gym on their own accord, and were not kicked out as some rumors had originally stated.

“Just saw the thread about JZ, Jorge and the Villefort brothers leaving ATT and the questions that arose. To be clear, these four made the decision to leave ATT. They were not asked to leave. They requested a meeting with team management, advised that they wanted to train elsewhere, and requested that ATT release them from their agreements. We accommodated their request. Any rumors regarding them being kicked off of the team are untrue. We wish them the best of luck in the future.”

All four fighters who left the gym had been mainstays of American Top Team for several years. This also adds onto Strikeforce heavyweight Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva who split with ATT last year as well.

While Villefort is training for his main event fight in Shark Fights 14 this weekend, Santiago is preparing for his return to the UFC in May in a bout against Brian Stann. As of now Cavalcante and Yuri Villefort have not scheduled their next fights.

Villefort did state that the foursome will continue to work together in Florida for the time being, but no word has come yet if they will form a new team starting in the Sunshine state or work with new trainers.

Feb 7, 2006
Lil' Nog willing to put $ on Shogun to beat Bones Jones

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira is so confident that Mauricio Shogun Rua will beat Jon Jones that he is willing to put money on it.

Jones provides the first challenge of Rua's light-heavyweight championship reign at UFC 128, and the young American is favourite with the bookies to clinch the title. Wins over the likes of Brandon Vera and Ryan Bader have got experts labelling Jones the fighter of the future, and his wrestling is seen as a major advantage against Rua on March 19.

However, Shogun is one of the most lethal strikers ever seen in the UFC. He has destroyed the likes of Lyoto Machida and Rampage Jackson, and Nogueira sees the Brazilian adding another victim to that list.

"Jon Jones is the guy now, people are creating great expectations about him, but I particularly disagree," Nogueira told Tatame. "In my opinion, Shogun has a sharper boxing than Jones, and he has got more game.

"Jon Jones is talented, has a great reach, but he hasn't confronted a guy like Shogun. I believe Shogun will win this one, I'd bet on him, because I believe he has got more game than Jones."

Feb 7, 2006
Feijão on loss to Henderson: “Unfortunately, that punch landed”

Nothing went like Rafael Feijão planned on his bout against Dan Henderson, on Strikeforce. On the beginning of the fight, the Brazilian almost knock his opponent out, but Henderson turned it up, tighten the bout and, on the third round, writing his 13th victory over Brazilians with a knockout. Back to Brazil without Strikeforce’s belt on his waist, Rafael chatted with TATAME and commented the loss to the American and revealed that Strikeforce hasn’t offer him the bout with Roger Gracie, talked about his future on the event and the possibility of Fedor Emelianenko changing to the light heavyweight division to fight Henderson.

What went wrong with your plan?

That punch was what went wrong, that’s to begin with. I was doing fine on the bout. I was taken down unnecessarily, and it’s pretty hard to take me down. He set a good game plan and fought well. He’s a clever guy, he knows how to fight, he’s experienced, and I thought my good conditioning would make a difference, and I was feeling fine, and I’d move forwards on the fourth round, but he’s dangerous… Unfortunately, that punch landed, but I was following my game plan, trying to work on the medium and long distance, avoiding to be on a danger zone. He uses his mind a lot when he’s fighting. The first coup that he launched on me was that, and you saw what happened, right? I can’t say anything.

On the first round you almost knock him down with that powerful right-handed punch, taking Henderson down, and he’s known for his almost unbreakable chin. You could have finished things there, couldn’t you?

I see it for the good side. It was a knockdown, but he was right there, I could see in his eyes, he knew what was going on, and that why I didn’t try to finish it right there, I didn’t want to tire me up for nothing. I wanted to tire him up a little more because of his age and my good conditioning… I was using it in my favor, letting it go.

Were you expecting him to hold you on the grid, using the clinch to beat you down with his right-handed swing punch?

I did. That grid fight, for me was good. It’s a situation on which I feel comfortable. It was better for me than for him… I knew he’d try that swing punch, but he changed. On that moment he launched the swing punch was the exact moment I tried to hit him too, so he used his swing punch inside my rounded punch… That’s why it caught me.

What did you learned from it?

I liked my conditioning trainings a lot, I felt great physically, above all. I followed my game plan. What I learned from it is what I’ve always known: MMA with gloves is a b… If the guys punched you on the right spot, it can get you over with. Our profession is like that, ungrateful. You can prepare yourself for three, three and a half months and it can all slip into your fingers in like three seconds. You have to learn a little from it. We try to defend ourselves from the coups, don’t be hit. From the moment you start to get hurt, it doesn’t worth it anymore, independently of how much money you make. The important thing is to get there, don’t get hurt, preserve yourself as an athlete…

Dan Henderson got 13 of his 27 wins against Brazilians, with only five losses against Brazilians. Would you like a rematch?

Absolutely. The world spins round and round. He was there, i was doing fine, my game plan was good, but that’s how it goes... Each fight is unique, you are only exposed if you’re up there, it’s 50-50. There’s no favoritism, favoritism ends in two seconds, when a wrist matched a chin. I believe I can beat him and we’ll meet each other soon, you can bet on it.

What do you expect to happen for you on the event? Are you considering training to regain the belt?

I was never that focused on the belt. You know that… My focus is always the next fight, my trainings, my next opponent… My focus it that. The belt, for me, is a consequence, it’s the award you earn after a successful fight. My thoughts about what happened is the same, because I never thought about the belt as a burden. “I’m defending the belt…”. That’s not what matters to me, what matters is what I learn from it, and that is something nobody can take away from me.

MMARating reported that is saying something about you fighting Roger Gracie. Did someone talked to you about that?

No. I know nothing about it, actually I’m not worried about it right now. It’s a time I’ll take to rest a while, to be near my family, that lives in Cuiaba and I’m always far from them. It’s a moment for me to see what I’ve done wrong, fix it and then prepare myself again. There’ll be a moment, later, when my opponent’s set, that we’ll be able to talk about it.

People are commenting about Henderson defending his belt against the winner between Gerard Mousasi and Mike Kyle, but there’s also the possibility of Fedor changing to the light heavyweight division and have a title shot. There’re rumors claiming that Fedor’s manager has denied it, but that’s still a possibility. How do you see this change of weight class and a possible title shot for Fedor?

I believe it’ll be a great fight. Fedor’s a tough athlete, that’s what he’s shown on the last years, but MMA is a sport that it’s evolution is pretty fast, so you can’t stop, you can’t spend a long time without fighting otherwise you’ll lose your timing. I believe it’ll be great, it’ll be a tough fight. Both athletes are tough and experienced, it’ll be interesting.

Feb 7, 2006
The 53rd Impact! New Fights Tomorrow

A press conference will be held tomorrow to announce some new DEEP 53 IMPACT. The card is already special with the Akira Shoji vs. Kazuo Misaki fight and apparently “that fighter will make his DEEP return!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”. Someone who has been active in major promotions will return to DEEP.

Feb 7, 2006
M-1 Announces 5-Fight Televised Card for March 25 Showtime Debut

M-1 Global today officially announced the addition of a middleweight title bout to M-1 Challenge 24 “Damkovsky vs. Figueroa,” completing the Showtime-televised main card of the March 25 event.

Magomed Sultanakhmedov and Tyson Jeffries will square off for the vacant M-1 Challenge 185-pound strap, given up by inaugural champion and now-welterweight Rafal Moks shortly after his 17-second heel-hooking of Sultanakhmedov in December.

Emanating from the Ted Constant Convocation Center on the campus of Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Va., M-1 Challenge 24 will mark the Russian promotion’s debut on its new premium cable home. The show is headlined by a lightweight title tilt between champion Artiom Damkovsky and 2010 M-1 Selection Americas tournament winner Jose Figueroa.

Also set for the main portion of the card is a bout pitting M-1’s top 155-pound prospect, Alexander Sarnavskiy, against Floridian Josh Bacallao; a 205-pound matchup featuring UFC veteran Vinny Magalhaes and 6-0 Jake Doerr; and a middleweight contest between Indiana-based “Vanilla Gorilla” Mark Palbykin and Russian knockout artist Arthur Guseinov.

Fresh off a second-round smashing of Plinio Cruz at M-1 Challenge 23 on March 5, Sultanakhmedov now looks to claim the belt that many expected him to win last year. Moks’ upset submission of the “White Wolf” snapped a seven-fight win streak, six of which came by way of knockout. The 26-year-old Dagestani tore through the 2010 M-1 Selection Eastern Europe middleweight bracket with a trio of stoppage wins, including one over then-unbeaten Pavel Kusch.

A native of Gresham, Ore., Jeffries won the 2010 M-1 Selection Americas 185-pound tournament in September with a third-round triangle-choking of Mike Geurin. All but one of the Team Quest product’s seven professional wins have come by way of submission.

Feb 7, 2006
‘Shogun’ Understanding of Underdog Status Before UFC 128 Defense

When the betting lines opened for UFC 128 and young gun Jon Jones was the bookmakers’ favorite to take Mauricio Rua’s light heavyweight title, many observers were surprised at the perceived lack of respect for the reigning champ.

Rua did not fall into that category, however.

“I understand if people think he’s the favorite,” said Rua during Wednesday’s UFC 128 media conference call. “He’s been winning all of his fights easily, and I certainly think he is the rightful favorite for this fight. I truly consider myself the underdog.”

“I don’t really care. It serves as motivation for me,” he added.

On March 19, “Shogun” will defend his title against the lanky and dangerous Jones in the main event of UFC 128 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. While Rua has spent about 10 months on the shelf recovering from knee surgery, “Jones” has been actively battering all who stand in his way. In 2010 alone, “Bones” disposed of Brandon Vera, Vladimir Matyushenko and Ryan Bader.

The Brazilian was originally slated to defend his strap against Jones’ Greg Jackson-trained teammate, Rashad Evans, but “Suga” was cut down by a knee injury and forced to withdraw. Accepting the title shot just minutes after he choked out Bader at UFC 126 on Feb. 5, Jones was suddenly thrust into the biggest fight of his life on just six weeks’ notice.

Despite the late change in opponent, the champion says he is going about his business as usual.

“My approach to training is always the same for any fight, because I know that I have to be well-prepared in all areas and be ready for anything. So, I have to train everything, but I also have to train for what Jon Jones does well. And that’s what I did,” said Rua. “[Jones and Evans] are somewhat similar opponents in many senses, because they are very good strikers and wrestlers. I had to change my sparring partners for the fight, but [other than that], I didn't change that much.”

In Jones, Rua faces a strong Greco-Roman wrestling specialist with effective and unorthodox striking. Known for his active use of elbows from all positions, Jones has yet to be truly tested inside the Octagon. While Rua comes from an extended layoff, Jones jumps right back into the fire of competition, a fact that the champion says is not as important as some would claim.

“I don’t think there are advantages or disadvantages. They are [two] sides of the [same] story. I think he deserves a shot at the belt. He has earned that, and I think we will both be ready to find out who is the best fighter,” explained the champion. “He is certainly a very tall guy with a big reach, and it’s hard to find sparring partners his size. But we did our best and found some big guys who have been imitating Jon Jones [so that I can] adapt my game and, hopefully, do my thing in the Octagon.”

Regarding his time spent on the sideline following his May title win over countryman Lyoto Machida, Rua asserts that he has used the break to adequately prepare for his first defense. According to Rua, the situation is far different from that of his injury-plagued early days with the UFC.

“If you look at it, I’ve been on the sidelines for 10 months, and it was almost the same difference between the first and second Machida fights,” said Rua. “When I had surgery and came back last time, I was transitioning from Pride to the UFC, and I wasn’t used to the Octagon yet. Also, I had two knee surgeries in a row, which sidelined me for, like, a year and eight months. It’s totally different from this time, and I’ve been training already for six months for this fight. So I’m feeling comfortable, and I’m ready.”

Feb 7, 2006
"Strikeforce Fedor vs. Silva" drug tests (urine and blood) come back clean

All 20 fighters who competed at "Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Silva" tested clean for performance-enhancing drugs and recreational/drugs of abuse.

New Jersey State Athletic Control Board legal counsel Nick Lembo today informed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the drug-testing results.

"Strikeforce and M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Silva" took place Feb. 12 at IZOD Center in East Rutherford, N.J., just outside Newark and New York City. Showtime aired the main card live.

The event hosted two opening-round matchups in the eight-man Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix. Antonio Silva and Sergei Kharitonov advanced to the semifinals after wins over Fedor Emelianenko and Andrei Arlovski, respectively.

The NJSACB tested the urine all athletes for drugs of abuse (such as marijuana and cocaine), as well as anabolic steroids and other performance-enhancers. The commission also conducted random blood testing on the tournament competitors.

Blood testing is considered a more accurate way of determining whether an athlete has used performance-enhancing drugs. New Jersey is the only U.S.-based commission that employs such a measure.

Feb 7, 2006
Bellator Champ Zack Makovsky Looks to Join World Bantamweight Elite

Zack Makovsky captured his first championship belt in 2010 after winning Bellator's inaugural bantamweight tournament. Makovsky's rise to glory came quietly, which is not surprising given his soft-spoken nature. Still, it was an accomplishment worthy of some bragging rights, particularly given his grinding schedule; Makovsky fought six times in eight months in 2010, winning all his fights.

With the championship, Makovsky put himself on the international MMA radar, though he hasn't been a surprise to those in the know. Among those was his Philadelphia Fight Factory teammate and fellow Bellator champ Eddie Alvarez, who told MMA Fighting that he forecasted Makovsky's success from the beginning.

"For people who don't know about Zack, you're going to find out," Alvarez said. "You don't need my words to tell you, you're going to find out very soon. The first time I met him, before I ever won a title, I said to him, 'You're going to be a world champion.' That was maybe 5-6 years ago. He just had certain qualities where you knew that he was not going to have it any other way. Some guys just have what it takes. It's not the talent, speed, strength or whatever, it's the attitude. And he had that attitude to be a world champion."

An example of that attitude is his cerebral approach to athletics. In college, Makovsky was a wrestler for Drexel University while academically, he majored biology. The latter was no accident; Makovsky took classes in human physiology, anatomy, exercise physiology, and similar topics for a very specific reason.

"Really why I got into it is that I wanted to be the best athlete I could," he told MMA Fighting. "I kind of centered my whole life around being the best athlete i could in every area. It's definitely nice to have knowledge in that area but it puts more pressure on me, too. If I get tired when I fight, I'm going to get a lot of crap from a lot of people. "

Today, it has a dual purpose for him. Not only is he a professional fighter, but he is also an assistant strength and conditioning coach for Drexel. He also tends to be the go-to guy on the subject at any gym he visits.

A career in MMA was a near-certainty for Makovsky (12-2) even while he was attending Drexel, where he won 72 matches in his career. During the wrestling season, he would focus solely on that, but in the offseason, he would train a few days a week at the the Fight Factory.

"I was always interested in it, and when I graduated, I decided to compete, liked it, and kept going," he said. "Wrestling helped me pick up grappling quickly. I started doing grappling tournaments in the offseason. Once I graduated, I had my first pro fight about six months later. It felt good, so I kept on."

That first fight came in Dec. 2006. By his fourth pro fight, he was matched up with Brazilian jiu-jitsu master Wilson Reis, who was early in his career at the time, but still a dangerous grappler. Reis tapped out Makovsky in the second round. It was a learning experience, and he's only lost once since, winning nine of his last 10 fights.

His career pace sped up dramatically though in 2010, when he won back-to-back fights in six weeks spanning from late February to early April. Then he signed with Bellator and things really got frantic. After qualifying for the Bellator tourney with a win in June, he fought three times from Sept. 2 to Oct. 14, winning each time.

"The tournament itself is pretty physically grueling," he said. "I fought three fights in six weeks. i usually have 3-4 months between fights. Thankfully, I didn't get any serious injuries, just bruises and bangs from the fight.

"I think it was harder mentally though," he continued. "After the first round of the tournament, I tried to jump right back into training and I didn't give myself enough time to recover and I got sick. so I had to pull back training more than anything else. I just focused on the details of things I wanted to work on. Focused on strategy and things like that."

The strategy worked well, as he topped Ed West in the finals to capture the belt. On April 16, he'll face undefeated Chad Robichaux (11-0) in a non-title fight at Bellator 41. But asked where his newly earned promotional title puts him in the grand scheme of things though, and Makovsky reverts to the soft-spoken type. He's a champion, but not yet a star, and though his teammate Alvarez is quick to boast about his pal, Makovsky chooses to let his resume state his case, and leave the debating to everyone else.

"I try not to really worry about that too much," he said. "Maybe it's a way for me to take pressure off myself. I just want to continue improving and being the best I can be. As long as I'm improving and working at being the best I can be, then wherever I end up in the rankings has to be fine. If I get upset at myself for not being No. 1 or No 2 or whatever, what does that mean? I just have to be the best I can, and let everything else take care of itself."

Feb 7, 2006
My First Fight: Rashad Evans

When Rashad Evans showed up to his very first MMA training session, he was pretty sure one of two things was going to happen: either he was going to learn to fight, or he was going to get robbed at gunpoint.

He was really hoping for the former, but from the looks of the alleged gym a stranger had just driven him to, the latter seemed more likely.

"It looked like a set-up," Evans says, looking back. "I looked at the building and was like, this sh-t cannot have a credible gym in there."

It was the kind of moment that one arrives at after making a series of decisions that seem reasonable enough in the moment, but when looked back upon as a whole start to seem profoundly dumb.

It began, as such things often do, with some guy in a bar. Evans had just graduated from Michigan State, where he was a stand-out wrestler, and had been trying to get a job as a police officer. In the meantime he was working nights as a security guard in a hospital and taking the occasional bouncing gig when special events at local bars sparked the need for a little extra muscle. Not surprisingly, during one such bar detail a fight broke out. After the troublemakers had been escorted out with a little help from Evans, one of the patrons referred to the move he had just witnessed as a rear naked choke.

"At the time, I was following the UFC and Pride," Evans says. "I was actually a big fan of 'Rampage' [Jackson] and I had followed it from the beginning, so I knew the terminology. But at the time it was still kind of underground, so I heard that and I was like, 'Hey what do you know about NHB?'"

The guy knew more than Evans, as it turned out, because he told the future UFC light heavyweight champ about a gym in nearby Lansing. When Evans expressed interest in checking it out, the man offered to pick him up and drive him to a training session there.

"I was thinking it would be this martial arts gym with all this discipline and stuff. It was this dilapidated, wore-down warehouse underneath a bridge in Lansing, Michigan, next to these nasty railroad tracks that nobody even used anymore. It was a bad part of town, and I walked in there like, well, I'm about to get robbed."

He followed his new friend up a rickety staircase, the smell getting thicker and mustier as they ascended. He could hear the unmistakable sounds of men yelling, punctuated every so often by the ringing of a bell.

"Then we got in there and the room was funky as all hell. There was blood and booger smear on the wall. It was like a nine-by-twelve-foot room, just really small, and these guys were rolling around like crazy, taking turns and rotating in on each other, just beating the hell out of each other. It was like a real life 'Fight Club.'"

Whatever it was, it was a long way from the Spartans wrestling room. There were no windows, and the poor ventilation and insulation made for uncomfortable sessions in the winter time, when the condensation from the heat on all the bodies would drench the walls and ceilings.

"It was this awful little room, but we got some good work in that room," Evans says.

After about six months of MMA training, Evans got talked into making his debut at a one-night, four-man tournament in November of 2003 for the local "Danger Zone" promotion in Angola, Indiana.

Officially, it's still listed as his amateur debut, with his first pro bout coming the following April, but as Evans can tell you now, there weren't exactly amateur ranks in Angola back in 2003. It was just that the pro bouts paid so little that you might as well have been fighting for free.

"I knew the stakes were a little higher than wrestling, but I was still in that mode so it felt a little bit like another wrestling match to me. But I knew the stakes were higher since we'd been beating the hell out of each other and I knew you could get caught with a punch at any time. I just didn't want to get embarrassed."

His first fight was against a guy named Kris Calmese. Evans still doesn't know what martial arts discipline he was trained in, or whether he was trained in any at all.

"He didn't really know what to do. I just wrestled him down, slammed him a couple of times, and he tried running out of the ring, so I grabbed him and pulled him back in and he ended up tapping. ...It was kind of weak."

Even though the first fight of the night didn't prove to be much of a challenge, Evans found himself surprisingly winded when it was all over. It wasn't until later that he realized why.

"It was this ring in the middle of this Bingo hall, and everyone was smoking cigarettes. I mean, everyone. And you're so high up all the smoke just rises into the ring. I was pretty much breathing smoke the whole time. I remember throwing punches and thinking, oh my God, I trained hard but I'm out of shape. I didn't realize I probably couldn't breathe because of all the damn smoke in there."

His second and final fight that night was supposed to be the big one. Evans was taking on George Crawford, who had been victorious in Danger Zone's previous event that September.

"George was supposed to be pretty good," Evans says. "He had won the tournament before. The guys who did the tournament, that was all his friends. The guy who was putting the tournament together was his uncle or something. He was supposed to win it all."

When it came to overall skills, Evans didn't have a lot of diversity in his game to fall back on. He'd punched and been punched enough by then to know that exchanging on the feet was dangerous for a guy without a lot of striking experience, so instead he put his wrestling skills to work against Crawford once things started getting hectic on the feet.

"We went at it and exchanged a little bit, then I picked him up and slammed him and then picked him up and slammed him again. One of the times I slammed him, his ribbed popped out when we hit the ground. He just started tapping immediately."

Evans had expected his pro debut to be a little tougher, but he didn't mind going home with two wins in one night, regardless of how he got them. He even got a meager payday for his work that night.

"I got $200, and I was happy. That was a lot of money to me then," he says. "I knew I'd keep doing it. It just felt like something very fun to do, because I was still active and still wanted to be an athlete. It was a good outlet. Afterwards, I just felt very, very peaceful. I had an outlet to get that aggression out. But I felt like I'd never, ever make enough money to make a living at this."

Evans would go on to win five straight fights the next year before being selected to compete on season two of 'The Ultimate Fighter.' There was only one problem: at 5'11" and just a little over 220 pounds, Evans wasn't much of a heavyweight.

"I ate mashed potatoes every single night, trying to get as big as I possibly could," he says. "There was no way I was going to pass that up."

Say what you will about the merits of mashed potatoes as a training diet, but Evans went on to win the finale as a heavyweight before dropping down to 205 pounds and eventually becoming the UFC light heavyweight champion. As for the fear that he'd never make enough money to live on as a fighter, well, let's just say those concerns have subsided too.

Feb 7, 2006
Jones, Rua Agree on One Thing: The Other Guy Should Be the Favorite

Depending on which sportsbook you consult, Jon Jones is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of a 2-1 favorite in his fight with UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 128.

Whether that's due to Rua's long injury layoff or Jones' dynamic blend of skills – or, most likely, some comination of the two – it doesn't seem to matter to the two combatants. While they disagree on what the outcome of the fight will be next Saturday night, they both seem convinced that they deserve to be thought of as the underdog.

"The fact that I'm the favorite, I think that's baloney," Jones said on Wednesday's media call. "I think the reason that I'm the favorite is oddsmakers are very smart and they probably think I'm going to lose. I think it's a smart strategy on the oddsmakers' part by making me the favorite. So the fact that I'm the favorite actually means that they think I'm going to lose. That's the way I'm looking at it. I feel as if I'm the underdog. Shogun's beaten lots of big names."

You might think that Rua, who knocked out Lyoto Machida last May to claim the 205-pound belt, would be a little annoyed to see himself listed as the underdog against a 23-year-old with less than three years experience as a professional. Not so, said Rua, who remarked that he completely understood why oddsmakers might be siding with the younger fighter.

"I actually understand that people think he's the favorite for the fight because he has been winning all his fights easily," Rua said via a translator. "I certainly think he is rightfully the favorite for the fight. I understand why people think that and how they view that, and I truly consider myself the underdog."

Of course, just because each fighter considers himself the underdog doesn't mean he expects to lose. Calling the other guy the favorite is a way of taking the pressure off one's own shoulders and hoisting it on to one's opponent's.

But while Jones said he "got a little bit of a headache" the first time he sat down to study tape of Rua in preparation for the fight, he doesn't seem to have any doubts about his own abilities, regardless of whether he agrees with the betting line.

"Now is just my time to go out there and just literally take what belongs to me," said Jones. "I feel it's my belt and I want it and I want to hang on to it and I want to start with Shogun."

Not that he's expecting it to be walk in the park, mind you – injury layoff or not. Jones described Rua as "a legend," and said he was "excited to be pushed for the first time – if I'm pushed, who knows."

Whether that sounds like a man who thinks he deserves to be called an underdog is arguable, but one thing he's not doing, Jones said, is planning on getting an easy road to the title in Rua's first fight back after knee surgery.

"I'm not looking at Shogun as being easy despite his knee injuries and his time off. I know he's a beast. I think with fighters either you're a wolf or you're a sheep. There are a lot of UFC fighters who are sheep, but I know Shogun's a wolf. I believe that I'm a wolf as well, and that's what you guys are going to see."