MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 30, 2003
Idk about always, nobody knew who he was b4 the anderson silva fight, he does have a I don't give a fucc mentality tho, as you can see it got to silva in their fight, total opposite next time, think anderson will be better prepared
new fans didnt kno who he was... mma fans kno who chael sonnen is.... dudes a fuckin beast

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Strikeforce inks welterweight Paul Daley to multi-fight deal

Paul Daley's long-rumored Strikeforce deal has come to fruition.

Strikeforce officials today announced the welterweight fighter, a UFC vet who defeated Jorge Masvidal at this past weekend's Shark Fights 13 event, has signed a multi-fight deal with the promotion.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, and though a debut date wasn't announced, Daley has his sights set on welterweight champ Nick Diaz.

A British fighter who appears in many top-10 lists for the welterweight division, Daley (25-9-2 MMA, 1-0 SF) has won six of his past seven fights. The lone loss came to Josh Koscheck earlier this year at UFC 113, and due to a post-fight piunch, Daley was released from the organization immediately afterward.

Daley fought once before under the Strikeforce banner. At the 2007 "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Baroni" event, he knocked out Duane Ludwig. It's one of 18 career knockout wins on his resume.

"I am a striker; there is no secret about that," stated Daley, a former Cage Rage champion. "I like to knock people out aggressively and quickly. That's my game, and no opponent's going to change that. Almost all my fights are exciting and memorable with nonstop action."

Although Daley wants a shot at Diaz's belt, the champ first fights K.J. Noons next month at Strikeforce's upcoming Showtime event.

With a thin 170-pound division and few top contenders, Daley theoretically could find himself in contention rather quickly.

Coincidentally, Strikeforce also this week signed Masvidal, as MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently reported. However, he'll return to the lightweight division, so a rematch with Daley under the Strikeforce banner appears unlikely anytime soon.

Dec 19, 2006
ANTONIO SILVA FED UP WITH POLITICS, WANTS FIGHT

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12580&zoneid=2

A fighter's job usually starts and stops with training and then walking into a cage or ring, putting in a night's work, and then going back home again. A fighter is usually not pulled into the world of promotional politics, but that's exactly where Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva is stuck right now as he waits to hear word about his next fight.

The Brazilian fighter who recently picked up a one-sided win over former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski has heard all the same rumors that the fans have heard about. Fedor Emelianenko wants to fight Alistair Overeem or Fabricio Werdum. Alistair Overeem wants to fight Fabricio Werdum or Fedor Emelianenko, and the list goes on and on.

The frustration has reached a boiling point with Silva, who believes fighters should fight whoever is put in front of them, and nobody gets to hand pick any opponent.

"A professional athlete should fight whoever they put in front (of them). That's how real fighters react," Silva said recently when appearing on MMAWeekly Radio.

There are of course inner workings at Strikeforce, as they try to hammer out a new deal with M-1 Global to extend Fedor Emelianenko's services beyond the final fight he has on his current contract. Add to that heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem's desire to continue his K-1 kickboxing career, and Fabricio Werdum is on the sideline following surgery. Everyone can start to understand why Silva is getting a little hot under the collar.

Still, Bigfoot believes it's up to the higher ups at Strikeforce and Showtime to lay down the law to say who fights whom.

"The president of Strikeforce should have the last word of it, and dictate who fights who, and if you don't like it you can lump it," Silva stated.

The biggest factor for Silva is simply putting food on the table. As a professional fighter, this is his only job and sitting out for several months starts to lessen the amount of steaks in the freezer. The American Top Team fighter wants to fight, he wants to fight soon, and he will fight whomever they put in front of him.

"It's always hard for a pro to not know when he's fighting next," Silva said. "It's training, it's supplements, it's a bunch of stuff, and I hope to fight as soon as possible. Maybe here, maybe in Japan, I really want to fight as soon as possible."

Going to Dream is a distinct possibility for Silva, who has fought in Japan before. The promotion actually had the offer on the table for a major heavyweight fight involving Silva, but Strikeforce didn't allow it to happen.

"We actually had an offer to fight Overeem in Dream, but Strikeforce didn't let that happen because he's obviously the champion. So they didn't want that fight to happen in Dream," Silva explained. "I want to keep on fighting. I'm among the ten best in the world and I want to go 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1."

Silva doesn't stop short of saying that he'd love a shot at the heavyweight title, but he feels that's a long shot right now. Not because he doesn't deserve it, but because the champion wants no part of it.

"If Overeem doesn't keep on picking opponents, I'd love to fight him," he said.

Silva's manager, Alex Davis, explains that there are always many working parts to putting a fight together, but it's also sometimes just a matter of the promoter telling someone what to do, and at the end of the day they have to do it.

"There's a financial side, the guy has to pay his bills. I've been doing this a long time, I've been doing this over a decade, and I know the characteristics of our sport is uncertainty," Davis explained. "It takes a little while to get the fights lined up, and you've got to be a little bit patient, but at the same time I do think the Strikeforce situation has to be straightened out in the politics department.

"Because it's not fair to one fighter if other fighters don't agree to fight. I don't want to point fingers at Strikeforce, but in the UFC you don't have that opportunity. You can't go denying fights, and I agree with Antonio that Strikeforce has to have a stronger hold on the way they match make."

Davis doesn't say Strikeforce is at fault with situations like the one with Fedor Emelianenko, but ultimately he believes the fighters are there to fight, not play games.

"They should have more of a say than the athletes," Davis commented about Strikeforce.

Time will tell what's next for Antonio Silva, but the big Brazilian is starting to get angry, and his next opponent will face the brunt of that anger whenever his next fight finally happens.

Sep 16, 2008
Ok i went to King of The Cage: No Mercy last night at the MGM in Connecticut, the punk ass promoter put Ray Mercer on the flyer and there wasn't even a mention of his name the whole event :-/. I saw some good fights though, I'm going to catch the re run on HDnet haha

Dec 9, 2005
Good luck to my boy and trainer Darren "Bonecrusher" Uyenoyama this weekend! He's fighting in Shooto against Shuichiro Katsumura. Both guys are sick grapplers, Darren has been working with some guys from 10th Planet recently, so I'm sure he'll be ready.

Oct 27, 2008
Good luck to my boy and trainer Darren "Bonecrusher" Uyenoyama this weekend! He's fighting in Shooto against Shuichiro Katsumura. Both guys are sick grapplers, Darren has been working with some guys from 10th Planet recently, so I'm sure he'll be ready.
the date i'm seeing on the event is the 23rd?

http://nightmareofbattle.com/?p=3688

either way hit us with a video link after its done, & good luck to him..

as for the bigfoot article--- strikeforce is signing barnett, right?? that sounds like the fight they need to make then, since they seem intent on keeping the fedor/ubereem match-up alive.

strikeforce would be foolish to lose bigfoot the same way they lost shields.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Darren Uyenoyama def. Shuichiro Katsumura by TKO (punches) - Round 2, 3:53
Junji Ito def. Jesse Taitano by TKO (Punches) - Round 3, 4:50
Hiromasa Ogikubo def. So Tazawa by unanimous decision
Yusuke Yachi def. Jin Hyun Kim by unanimous decision
Masaki Yanagisawa def. Hyo Ryong Kim by submission (heel hook) - Round 1, 0:53
Hiroshi Osato def. Masumi Tozawa by majority decision
Akira Okada def. Yoshinori Suzuki by unanimous decision
Yo Saito def. Yoshifumi Nakamura by majority decision

He's gonna have Ueda coming after him next, and Ueda's my boy lol

Dec 19, 2006
Fedor’s Return Pushed Back Until Jan. 2011

http://www.mmahq.com/blog/2010/09/27/fedors-return-pushed-back-until-jan-2011/

MMA superstar Fedor Emelianenko will not fight for Strikeforce before the end of the year, and his M-1 management team is expecting an early 2011 return. A comeback during a Strikeforce event on Dec. 4 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis is no longer possible, though he could return for Strikeforce on Jan. 29.

The former #1 heavyweight and pound-for-pound king will look to rebound from his second career loss, and many consider the his first loss, a TKO due to a cut, to be a mere technicality.
Strikeforce and M-1 are trying to iron out a contract and co-promotion extension as soon as possible. I expect a deal to be finalized quickly as both sides try to prevent a possible holdout, although it should be interesting to see how much negotiating power M-1 has due to the loss.

After his surprising 69-second loss to Fabricio Werdum in June, Emelianenko and his camp faced immediate criticism from MMA fans looking to see the famed Russian in the UFC.

Meanwhile, there was concern that M-1 would fold due to Emelianenko’s loss, but those rumors have since been proven untrue. It’s hard to believe that a big company such as M-1 would suddenly run into financial burden, even though MMA fans mistakenly believe Emelianenko is the only thing they have going for them.

Dec 19, 2006
Paul Daley vs. Scott Smith Official for Dec. 4 Strikeforce Event

In a matchup with fireworks written all over it, kickboxer Paul Daley will take on slugger Scott Smith on Dec. 4 at Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu in St. Louis.

First reported as in the works by CSNCalifornia.com, MMAFighting.com on Tuesday received confirmation from Strikeforce that the welterweight bout is set to go.

A crowd-pleasing fighter known for a trio of incredible come-from-behind wins, Smith (17-7) will be dropping down to welterweight after fighting the majority of his career at middleweight. Smith is 3-2 with the Strikeforce organization and is coming off a TKO loss to Cung Le in June.

Meanwhile, Daley (25-9-2) fought earlier this month and defeated Jorge Masvidal in a close decision at Shark Fights 13. Shortly after the win, Daley signed a multi-fight contract with Strikeforce. Daley, who this year was a fight away from challenging for the UFC welterweight title, is on a two-fight win streak since his loss to Josh Koscheck at UFC 113 in May.

The Dec. 4 Strikeforce show features Dan Henderson taking on Renato "Babalu" Sobral in the main event as well as the return of former NFL star Herschel Walker. Tickets for the event at the Scottrade Center go on sale to the general public Friday.

MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani and Mike Chiappetta contributed to this report.

May 17, 2004
In a matchup with fireworks written all over it, kickboxer Paul Daley will take on slugger Scott Smith on Dec. 4 at Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu in St. Louis.

First reported as in the works by CSNCalifornia.com, MMAFighting.com on Tuesday received confirmation from Strikeforce that the welterweight bout is set to go.

A crowd-pleasing fighter known for a trio of incredible come-from-behind wins, Smith (17-7) will be dropping down to welterweight after fighting the majority of his career at middleweight. Smith is 3-2 with the Strikeforce organization and is coming off a TKO loss to Cung Le in June.

Meanwhile, Daley (25-9-2) fought earlier this month and defeated Jorge Masvidal in a close decision at Shark Fights 13. Shortly after the win, Daley signed a multi-fight contract with Strikeforce. Daley, who this year was a fight away from challenging for the UFC welterweight title, is on a two-fight win streak since his loss to Josh Koscheck at UFC 113 in May.

The Dec. 4 Strikeforce show features Dan Henderson taking on Renato "Babalu" Sobral in the main event as well as the return of former NFL star Herschel Walker. Tickets for the event at the Scottrade Center go on sale to the general public Friday.

MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani and Mike Chiappetta contributed to this report.
i cant watch any more scott smith fights. hes going to be looking like ali in 5 years time.