MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
MiddleEasy's Sunday Morning Rumor Mill

M-1 Global has been in talks with Astra on having Fedor Emelianenko fight in a NYE event held in Korea. No opponent was named.

This is more of a little known fact and not a rumor, but Fedor Emelianenko only has one fight left on his M-1 Global contract.

If Ryan Bader can get past Lil Nog, the UFC will most likely pit Jon Jones vs. Ryan Bader for the #1 contender spot after Rashad Evans.

After UFC 118, Frankie Edgar was asked if he would be open to moving up in weight to fight GSP. His response was 'Sure, why not' but this could be attributed to whatever surge of elation that was running through Frankie after his first title defense. Would be an interesting fight nonetheless.

Sexyama is planning on opening a steakhouse in Korea sometime in 2011.

M-1 Global lost a lawsuit against a honey company in Korea. M-1 sued the company for using fight footage of Fedor Emelianenko in one of their television ad campaigns. Apparently Fedor has lost some popularity in Korea since the failed lawsuit.

More in the M-1 Global news train, it looks like the company's main investor is reducing the funds being pumped into M-1 due to some 'questions' that need to be answered by Vadim Finkelstein.

Roy Nelson has been trying to talk his way into a fight with Shane Carwin, and as of this week it may have worked. Look for a fight announcement to be made sometime this month.

Joe Warren will be taking his Bellator belt to his Dream 16 bout with Omigawa.

There's still a lot more news that will leak regarding TapouT being sold at the beginning of this month.

Beef between Roger Gracie and Robert Drysdale is getting pretty thick. Last month, Drysdale was in talks with UFC but it appears that the company wanted him to go through TUF in order to get in the UFC. If Robert Drysdale signs with Strikeforce to make a fight with Roger Gracie happen, don't be surprised.

Heard this from an anonymous source so I'm not sure how reliable this is, but shortly after his UFC 118 bout with Randy Couture, the IRS confiscated all or some of James Toney reported $550,000 fight purse. In 2004, Toney filed a voluntary petition and the IRS was listed as a creditor. He then moved to dismiss the petition. Not sure what happened after that, but it's not that far-fetched that the IRS could have confiscated the money earned at UFC 118.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Shinya Aoki vs. Marcus Aurelio among three contests added to DREAM.16

With just about three weeks until DREAM.16, the Japanese-based organization has started to reveal a few details about the fight card.

While a light heavyweight title fight between mini-grand-prix finalists Gegard Mousasi and Tatsuya Mizuno was already assured, three additional contests were announced overnight.

The new contests include Shinya Aoki vs. Marcus Aurelio, "Lion" Takeshi Inoue vs. Kazuyuki Miyata and Hideo Tokoro vs. Joachim Hansen.

DREAM.16 takes place on Sept. 25 at Nippon Gaishi Hall in Nagoya, Japan, and airs in North America on HDNet.

Aoki (24-5 MMA, 8-2 DREAM), the DREAM lightweight champion, fights for the first time since a July submission win over Tatsuya Kawajiri. "Tobikan Judan" suffered a high-profile loss to Gilbert Melendez in April, but he still stands at 4-1 in his past five contests.

His opponent, Aurelio (20-8 MMA, 0-0 DREAM), is probably best known for choking out then-PRIDE champ Takanori Gomi in a non-title affair in 2006. "Maximus" also fought six times under the UFC banner and now makes his DREAM debut.

Inoue (18-4 MMA, 0-0 DREAM) returns to action for the first time since a split-decision loss to Hatsu Hioki under the Shooto banner in May. Inoue relinquished the Shooto belt in the clash, his first loss in five outings, and now makes his DREAM debut.

Miyata (9-7 MMA, 2-1 DREAM) carries a four-fight win streak into the event. While his pedestrian record may not impress, Miyata's career is marked by clashed with quality opponents such as Luiz Firmino, Royler Gracie, Joachim Hansen, Vitor Ribeiro, Genki Sudo, and Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto, among others.

Hansen (19-10-1 MMA, 3-4 DREAM) looks to snap a current three-fight losing streak. Once considered among the best lightweights in the world, "Hellboy" is now hoping for a successful run in the featherweight division.

Meanwhile, Tokoro (26-22-1 MMA, 3-4 DREAM) looks to rebound from a May loss to Akiyo Nishiiura under the DREAM banner. A 10-year veteran, Tokoro is currently mired in a 2-5 slump.

Dec 19, 2006
Thiago Silva vs. Brandon Vera targeted for UFC 125 in January

A pair of light heavyweights looking to rebound from recent high-profile losses will likely meet in January in what could easily be viewed as a "must-win" for both contestants involved.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the contest that the UFC is targeting a matchup between Thiago Silva (14-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) and Brandon Vera (11-5 MMA, 7-5 UFC) at UFC 125.

At least one of the contestants has agreed to the contest, but bout agreements have yet to be distributed.

While not yet officially announced by the promotion, UFC 125 is expected to take plan on Jan. 1, 2011, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

Silva returns to the cage one day shy of a full year since his most recent outing, a UFC 108 loss to Rashad Evans in the evening's main event. Prior to that fight, rumors of an ankle injury spread throughout the MMA community, but Silva's camp confirmed after the contest that was actually an ailing back that slowed the Brazilian.

Silva was then scheduled to face Tim Boetsch at August UFC 117 event, but the former title contender re-injured his back and was forced to withdraw from the event.

Despite opening his octagon career with four-straight stoppage victories, Silva is just 1-2 in his past three contests. Due to various periods of inactivity, Silva has registered just one UFC win in the past 27 months.

Meanwhile, Vera fights for the first time since a March loss to fast-rising prospect Jon Jones. "The Truth" was overwhelmed in the contest and suffered multiple facial fractures in the 3 minute and 19 second affair.

Once considered a top prospect in both the heavyweight and 205-pound divisions, Vera is now mired in a two-fight slump and is just 3-5 since December 2006.

Dec 19, 2006
Todd Duffee responds to being dropped from the UFC

http://www.cagedinsider.com/ufc/fighters/todd-duffee-responds-dropped-ufc/trackback/

It was breaking news yesterday, UFC heavyweight newcomer Todd Duffee was dropped from the world’s biggest MMA organization. We heard from Duffee’s manager Alex Davis, but not until earlier today did the fighter respond to what had happened. Check out some of the quotes taken from his interview.

“I’ve had every emotion there is to have,” Duffee told MMA Junkie. “Right now, I’m just kind of numb.”

“I don’t know what happened. I first heard from my manager, Alex Davis, about a week ago that I might get cut. I have some friends that fight for other organizations, and they actually told me they had heard a rumor that I was about to be released, too.”

“On Tuesday, I got the confirmation email saying I had been cut because I lost my last fight.”

“Emotionally, I’m hurt. I’m hurt more than anything because I don’t know why. As a man, you just want to hear why so you can understand.”

“They had talked about me fighting Madsen. I asked if I could get some time.”

“I had a knee injury going into the Russow fight. I’m not making any excuses because I lost that fight, and all props to Mike, but I definitely feel like it affected my gameplan and my mentality going into the fight. I didn’t want that to happen again with Madsen. I wanted to be able to go out there and fight to my full potential instead of just boxing, basically. I asked for more time, and as far as I knew, they had granted it to me.”

“Maybe I rattle off three more wins real quick, and the UFC changes their mind and decides to re-sign me.”

“I think the best is yet to come. I think this is a part of it, and we’ll just kind of see what happens. In five or six years we may just look back and laughing about this. That’s my goal.”

“I guess I can say I shouldn’t have dropped out of college – stay in school, kids,” Dufee joked. “This is my dream. It’s just a bump in the road. I got to where I was at a little sooner that a lot of people. Now I have to go enjoy the journey. I definitely would like to get back the opportunity that I had in front of me just a few days ago. We’ll just see where the road takes me.”

“I know the UFC is running a business, and they’re going to do what’s best for them at the end of the day. I’m not going to harbor any hard feelings or anything like that. I’m just going to roll with punches. It’s been a year of a lot of tough losses, but I think you grow from that. It’s been a good run of bad luck. I’m just trying to stay positive and learn from these life experiences.”

Dec 19, 2006
On Fighters and Luck

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/09/09/on-fighters-and-luck/

Shortly after his heartbreaking loss to Anderson Silva via fifth-round submission, a dejected Chael Sonnen sat down at the post-fight press conference and made a simple proclamation to everyone who was eager to chalk the loss up to a lucky finish for the champ: "The better man always wins."

At the time, it seemed like a magnanimous statement from the walking insult generator. Even though he won 22 minutes of the 23-minute fight, and even though he'd taken all four rounds on every judge's scorecard, it didn't matter in Sonnen's eyes. Silva won, and that's the only metric that matters when it comes to determining who the superior fighter is. So he said.

But as much as we hear about how anything can happen in MMA, how the four-ounce gloves are known to conjure a certain type of magic in the cage, aren't there times when you just get lucky and win one you shouldn't? Does the better man really always win?

"Definitely not," said Jason "Mayhem" Miller. "But what else is there?"

It's a fair point. It's not like we can open up each guy's brain and find some magic formula that will tell us exactly how good he is. Good is a changeable commodity in the fight game. Some nights you're better than others. Some nights things just don't go your way.

"You get one chance, that one night, and you can get lucky," Miller said. "I think the better guy usually wins. Just mathematically it works out that way. Usually, it's who's better that night. I've had so many fights where afterwards I was like, dude, I shouldn't have won. Either because I was sick or f----d up or whatever. And then there were others where I did lose and thought, well, I can't believe I even did this because I was so hurt or sick I was going to pull out. That's life, though."
I don't think, in my opinion, that anybody really knocks someone out with what they thought would knock them out.
-- Pat Barry
But this presents a problem for outside observers. Most of the time we never know if fighters are hurt or sick or just not all there, because they've learned that it's not worth the trouble of trying to explain it to us. They take their loss and move on.

Then, there are also the times when nobody's sick or injured, but one guy just catches a fortunate break. Kenny Florian can remember one time when he was that guy.

"I guess the Chris Leben fight, certainly, that was probably the only fight where I felt like I was losing and got off easy. I got that cut. I wasn't winning the fight by any means. He was a guy with probably literally ten times as much experience as me at the time. He was much bigger, much better, and maybe even deserved to go through [the "Ultimate Fighter" tournament] over me, but he didn't. That's probably the only time that happened to me. It's rare, but it happens. Out of my twenty fights or so, that's the only time it's happened."

The lucky cut is somewhat rare, as is the lucky submission. But the lucky punch? That's a trope that's as old as punching itself. It couldn't have been long after the first caveman learned to ball up his hand and use it as a weapon that some other outmatched early man knocked a bigger, stronger foe unconscious with a shot that was more of a hope and a prayer than a tactical assault.

Pat Barry has flung enough punches at other humans' heads to know how that goes. The way he tells it, knockout punches are almost never the carefully premeditated affair many of us assume them to be.

"I don't think, in my opinion, that anybody really knocks someone out with what they thought would knock them out. I think knockouts happen, for me anyway, when it's usually kind of accidental. I mean, you always throw the punch with the hope and intention of knocking someone out, but you never know it's going to happen. I've thrown punches before that were just supposed to feel guys out, then it lands and the guy falls down unconscious. At the same time, I've also thrown power shots on people that I knew were going to land, and they've done nothing."

For instance, there was the right hand he floored Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic with. Barry felt sure that one was a fight-ender. It knocked Filipovic down, but it also broke Barry's hand in the process. Talk about bad luck.

But then, there have been times in Barry's career where the pendulum has swung in the other direction.

"I've had kickboxing matches in China where I went in going, this is not going to be good. I'm not ready for this, I'm not there, and I just don't feel prepared. Then the bell rings, I throw a punch, and the guy goes down unconscious. ...There's a sense of relief, honestly."

MMA is somewhat unique when it comes to the element of luck. In football maybe you can get lucky with a hail Mary pass that bounces off someone's helmet and lands in your receiver's arms in the end zone, but in order for it to matter the game has to be close to begin with. In MMA, you can lose every second of the fight and still win it at the end. As long as there's time left on the clock, you have a chance.

"The more punches you throw out there, the luckier you tend to get," said "Mayhem" Miller. "That's part of mixed martial arts. That's why we love it. You have that ability at any time to end it."

But it leaves us with the same question we started with: if you can get lucky and win a fight, does that mean you were the better fighter? If you lose 99% of the fight and still win, does that necessarily make you the better fighter even on that one night? Is the end result all that matters?

Maybe not, but as "Mayhem" points out, it's all we have. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes luck is the intersection of perseverance and opportunity. It's not something you can plan for, and it's not something you can ever remove from the equation entirely. All you can do is keep plugging away and hope for the best.

Maybe tonight is your lucky night. Then again, maybe it's the other guy's.

Dec 19, 2006
TRILOGY: PENN VS. HUGHES 3 AT UFC 123

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=12589&zoneid=13

Trilogies have become a part of great film series and great fights.

The latest trilogy to happen in MMA will take place at UFC 123 when former welterweight champions B.J. Penn and Matt Hughes settle the score as they meet in the co-main event of the November 20 event in Detroit, Mich.

Rumors about the bout began to circulate on Monday when Hughes posted on his official website that UFC president Dana White had contacted him with an interesting proposal for the November card in Detroit.

With B.J. Penn previously stating that he had also been contacted about a potential return in November, the pieces started falling together and the two legends were put together for a third fight. On Monday sources confirmed the rumors that Penn and Hughes had agreed to meet, and MMAFighting.com was the first to officially report the bout.

Penn originally met Hughes in January 2004, when the former lightweight decided to make the trip to 170lbs and meet arguably the most dominant champion the weight class had ever seen at that point. While Penn went into the bout as an underdog, he was more than happy to shock the world as he submitted Hughes with a rear naked choke in the first round.

The two met again in September 2006, and after a back and forth war early, Hughes eventually got Penn down, trapping him in a crucifix position and hammered the Hawaiian with punches before having the fight stopped. Hughes got the win, and now in November the pair will finally put their rivalry to rest.

Hughes had stated after his August win over Ricardo Almeida that he intended to take some time off and return in 2011, but he's said numerous times that he doesn't turn down the UFC when they come calling and this appears to be no different.

This will be the first trip back to 170lbs for Penn since he ran into Georges St. Pierre at UFC 94 in January 2009.

The bout between Penn and Hughes will serve as the co-main event on the card headlined by former light heavyweight champions Lyoto Machida and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

Dec 19, 2006
Chael Sonnen Q&A

Heres Chael at UFN 22 saying if he beats Silva he wants Shogun and/or GSP,also talks Silva ,Bisping,GSP,fighters and takes a shot at Strikeforce

EDIT: heres the HL vid

Feb 10, 2006
Idk about always, nobody knew who he was b4 the anderson silva fight, he does have a I don't give a fucc mentality tho, as you can see it got to silva in their fight, total opposite next time, think anderson will be better prepared