MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
SERRA SAYS HE SIGNED TO FIGHT TRIGG AT UFC 109

Matt Serra on Wednesday confirmed his next fight, posting on his official facebook page that he has signed to fight Frank Trigg on Feb. 6 at UFC 109. The event is scheduled for the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

“Signed to fight Frank Trigg on Feb. 6 in Vegas (UFC). Should be an exciting fight!!!” wrote Serra. “I love the UFC... they keep hooking me up with the most arrogant guys to punch in the face!!!”

Serra (9-6) is currently on a two-fight skid, losing the UFC welterweight title to Georges St-Pierre and then dropping a decision to former champion Matt Hughes in May of this year. He is 1-2 in the Octagon since making his return via “The Ultimate Fighter 4: The Comeback.” Serra was granted a title shot for winning the reality series, taking full advantage by taking the belt from St-Pierre before losing it in their rematch.

Trigg (19-7) made his return to the Octagon at UFC 103 in Dallas, where he quickly suffered a TKO loss to Josh Koscheck in the opening round. Having captured titles in many smaller organizations, he is currently 37 years old and making what is likely his last run at success in the UFC.

Contacted for comment, Trigg said via text “nothing confirmed” in regards to signing a bout agreement to face Serra.

May 17, 2004
UFC cuts welterweight Brock Larson following UFC 106 loss

"It's probably a good thing," Larson stated via text message. "I was having a hard time getting motivated for my last two fights. I needed a change. The undercards just didn't do it for me."
wow thats a pretty awful excuse. to get to the main card youre going to have to win some fights impressively. and him losing his last 2 fights to relative unknowns is the opposite.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Report: UFC 108's Gabriel Gonzaga out of Junior Dos Santos fight due to staph

UFC heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga (11-4 MMA, 7-3 UFC) has been forced out of a scheduled bout with Junior Dos Santos (9-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) at January's UFC 108 event.

The report comes from Yahoo! Sports' Steve Cofield, who stated Gonzaga has a staph infection. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) could not immediately confirm the report.

The UFC hasn't officially announced the change to the bout, which was part of the event's Jan. 2 pay-per-view main card and set to take place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

This the latest in a long string of injuries and illnesses that have plagued the UFC over the past few months. The Gonzaga vs. Dos Santos bout was a pivotal one for the UFC's heavyweight division, and the winner could have earned a title shot.

Gonzaga was returning to the cage for the first time since an August win over UFC newcomer Chris Tuchscherer. "Napao" cracked the UFC rookie with a low blow early in the fight, and Tuchscherer never full recovered. Regardless, Gonzaga had climbed back into title contention with a 3-1 record in his past four UFC contests and was looking for a win over one of the UFC's top prospects.

Dos Santos has quickly climbed up the ranks of the UFC's heavyweight division with three-straight stoppage wins in the organization. Just 25 years old, Dos Santos earned TKO wins over Fabricio Werdum and Stefan Struve before forcing Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic to verbally submit to strikes at a UFC 103 main-card contest in September.

UFC officials will likely keep Dos Santos on the card with a replacement fighter.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Did Tito Ortiz's return lead to Dan Henderon's possible UFC departure?

With his vicious knockout of Michael Bisping at UFC 100, Dan Henderson fulfilled the terms of his previous contract, and a new one doesn't seem likely.

After butting heads with UFC president Dana White, who said Henderson's contract demands were "unrealistic," the veteran fighter could sign with a rival organization, most notably Strikeforce.

But when discussing the series of events as an in-studio guest on MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com), White pointed to a potential and surprising culprit for Henderson's decision: Tito Ortiz.

Over the past couple months, Henderson (25-7 MMA, 5-2 UFC), a former top UFC middleweight and light heavyweight contender (who also simultaneously held two PRIDE belts), has remained in a state of limbo. Although White declared earlier this month that he was positive Henderson had signed with Strikeforce, no deal has been announced.

And while White said he and Henderson have discussed a potential new contract with the UFC, the executive said "Hendo" hasn't been serious.

"Dan is in I-don't-want-to-make-a-deal mode," White said on the Nov. 20 edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio. "There are some deals in which you go in and negotiate and make a deal. You know you want to make a deal. ... Dan Henderson knows he does not want to make a deal."

That's when White pointed to Ortiz, who recently ended a 16-month holdout and re-signed with the UFC, as a potential reason for Henderson's alleged stance.

"The [expletive] that Dan came in and said in my office and what he wants, it's unrealistic, and he knows it," White said. "And it's basically based off of, 'I heard this guy is making this, and I heard this guy made (this much).' Basically, what everybody gets pissed off about is Tito. 'Oh, I heard Tito is making all this money, and Tito is this and that.' And it's because Tito likes to go out there and stay stuff like that or somebody in his camp did.

"That's how [expletive] gets started. "

While no deal no seems imminent, and though Strikeforce officials have expressed interest in signing Henderson, White isn't shutting the door on getting a deal done – with Henderson or any other fighter, including Fedor Emelianenko.

"Doors are never closed," he said. "I'm in the fight business. We put on fights. Doors never close.

"Never say never. Dan could call me tonight. Fedor could call on three-way with him. We could sign them both up tonight if they want to call."

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
fter recent win, Strikeforce's Shane Del Rosario seeks main-event status

Not all first-round submission wins are made equally – just ask undefeated Strikeforce heavyweight Shane Del Rosario (9-0).

Del Rosario needed just 2:57 to defeat Brandon Cash (5-1) at "Strikeforce Challengers IV: Evangelista vs. Gurgel" earlier this month, but as the California resident recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio), the quick win was anything but easy.

"He hit me pretty good," Del Rosario said. "They told me the ref was about to stop it."

Del Rosario's first round submission victory only came after fighting through a vicious right hand that instantly knocked him to the canvas. After falling to the ground, Del Rosario utilized his guard to buy time as Cash began to launch a vicious ground-and-pound assault.

"I was in a bad situation," Del Rosario admitted.

However, as Cash began to quickly tire, Del Rosario saw the opportunity to capitalize with a submission attempt.

After securing Cash's arm, Del Rosario worked up from his back and locked in an oma plata attempt. Cash was unable to escape the hold and tapped out at the 2:57 mark of the first round.

"Once I pushed [Cash] over to his side and swung my leg over his back ... I grabbed his other arm and pulled really hard," Del Rosario said.

The rarely used oma plata seemed to confuse the lumbering Cash, and Del Rosario ended up with a surprising finish from a hold he had only hoped to use as a sweep.

"He was unfamiliar with the position," Del Rosario said. "Actually, I didn't think that he was going to tap from it, but I wanted to use it to get out from underneath him to get his back."

Unable to escape from the maneuver, Cash was forced to tap from the pressure on his shoulder.

Del Rosario said he's looking forward to his next fight with Strikeforce.

"[Strikeforce] picked up my EliteXC contract, so after the [Cash fight], I have two more fights left," Del Rosario said. "I definitely want more fights."

Although he looks forward to a headlining fight with a contender, Del Rosario is the first to admit he needs more experience.

"I have had nine MMA fights and nine Muay Thai fights," Del Rosario said. "I want to get to at least 15 or 20 MMA fights before I start being a contender or [start] fighting the best.

Finishing his opponent with a rarely seen submission after nearly being finished himself was a great way for Del Rosario to earn some recognition, but the heavyweight has his sites set much higher than a main-card slot on Showtime.

"I hope to be in a main event card or a CBS card within a year or so," Del Rosario said.

Time will tell is the Team Oyama fighter can attain that goal. In the meantime, Del Rosario said he lans on enjoying his hard-fought victory with some well-deserved time off.

"I'm going to just enjoy the holidays – hopefully head out to Hawaii for Christmas," Del Rosario said.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Wagnney Fabiano likely to face bantamweight Frank Gomez at WEC 46

After watching his Nova Uniao teammate, Jose Aldo, claim the WEC's featherweight title, top contender Wagnney Fabiano (12-2 MMA, 2-1 WEC) made the decision to drop to the 135-pound class.

Now his debut in the bantamweight division has been set.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the organization that Fabiano has agreed to meet Greg Jackson's MMA product Frank Gomez (8-1 MMA, 2-1 WEC) at "WEC 46: Varner vs. Henderson." Bout agreements for the Jan. 10 event in Sacramento, Calif., are expected to be finalized shortly.

Fabiano has long been considered among the best featherweights in the world, and the fight with Gomez will be his first at 135 pounds. The drop also comes as Fabiano tries to rebound from a shocking and disappointing loss to Mackens Semerzier at WEC 43 in October.

Prior to the loss, Fabiano had carried an eight-fight win streak, including WEC wins over Fredson Paixao and Akitoshi Tamura. Prior to his current WEC run, the Brazilian held the now-defunct International Fight League's featherweight title.

Meanwhile, after suffering a submission loss to Scott Jorgensen in his WEC debut – the lone loss of his nine-fight professional career – Gomez currently holds a two-fight win streak. Gomez earned a unanimous-decision win over Seth Dikun at this past week's WEC 44 event, as well as a submission win over Noah Thomas at June's "WEC 41: Brown vs. Faber II."

Six of Gomez's eight career wins have come by stoppage. The three-time WEC veteran relies on a strong wrestling base built over a lifetime of competing in the sport that includes a brief stint at San Francisco State University, a Division II program.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Report: Georges St-Pierre vs. Dan Hardy targeted for UFC 111 in New Jersey

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported earlier this month, the UFC is planning a return trip to New Jersey in March.

Now it appears the main event has been selected, as well.

Georges St-Pierre (19-2 MMA, 13-2 UFC) will put his welterweight title on the line against British challenger Dan Hardy (23-6 MMA, 4-0 UFC) at the as-yet-unannounced event, according to a report by AOL FanHouse.

MMAjunkie.com could not immediately confirm the report.

The New Jersey event is expected to take place at the Prudential Center, which was home to UFC 78 in November 2007, and presumably would be dubbed UFC 111.

However, the UFC has made no official announcement regarding the show. Additionally, though "there have been discussions about a date and location," Nick Lembo of the New Jersey Athletic Control Board told MMAjunkie.com no event has been finalized.

In a recent appearance on MMAjunkie.com Radio, UFC president Dana White had stated the St-Pierre vs. Hardy bout would take place in February. Coupled with comments made at a UFC 106 Fight Club Q&A session, White's comments fueled speculation that the contest could take place in Australia, though the organization has typically contested title on U.S. soil.

St-Pierre carries a six-fight winning streak into the contest. By March, the Canadian will have been on the shelf for eight months while recovering from a groin injury suffered in a July contest with Thiago Alves.

St-Pierre recently appeared in the U.K. at a UFC 105 Fight Club Q&A session and proclaimed himself 100 percent fit.

Meanwhile, Hardy has won seven-straight contests overall. That streak includes a perfect 4-0 mark in the UFC. The British slugger defeated Mike Swick earlier this month at UFC 105 to earn his way into the welterweight title match.

Josh Koscheck, who defeated Anthony Johnson in impressive fashion at this past week's UFC 106 event, has openly questioned why Hardy was selected as St-Pierre's next opponent. White told MMAjunkie.com after the event that while Koscheck's performance put him "in the mix," Hardy was indeed the next title challenger.

"We already announced the Hardy fight," White told MMAjunkie.com in the post-fight presser. "Hardy gets the next fight. But when I say Koscheck is in the mix, he'd be in the mix anyway. He's one of the best 170-pounders in the world and has been for a while."

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Strikeforce offers discounted "Evolution" tickets for Black Friday

Strikeforce fans can cash in on Black Friday without ever leaving the house.

From Friday, Nov. 27, to Monday, Nov. 30, Strikeforce is offering up a 25 percent discount on select lower bowl tickets for the promotion's Dec. 19 event, "Evolution," at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Tickets for the event are currently on sale at Ticketmaster.com, though a special promotional code available to all "Strikeforce Insider" e-newsletter subscribers will allow access to the discount during the promotional period.

For those without access to the newsletter, the coded needed for the discount is "TTS09."

Featuring a lightweight title unification match between current champ Josh Thomson and interim title holder Gilbert Melendez, "Strikeforce: Evolution" will also showcase the return of former middleweight champ Cung Le against fellow striker Scott Smith, as well as the promotional debut of top prospect Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal.

Tickets for the event range from $30 to $400. The lower bowl tickets featured in the promotion are priced between $50 and $150 before the 25 percent discount.

The full lineup for the event currently includes:

* Champ Josh Thomson vs. interim champ Gilbert Melendez (lightweight title-unification bout)
* Cung Le vs. Scott Smith
* Matt Lindland vs. Ronald "Jacare" Souza
* Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal vs. Mike Whitehead*
* Robbie Lawler vs. TBA
* Antwain Britt vs. Scott Lighty*

* - Not yet officially announced

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Brendan Schaub's special Q&A for "The Ultimate Fighter 10"

What's up Junkies?! This week's episode of "The Ultimate Fighter" was a rerun of last week's episode, so like I mentioned in last week's blog, I decided to answer questions you guys have sent me. Thanks to some great feedback, you guys made my job of writing this blog a lot easier. You guys are great! I think I answered the most common questions asked.

What was the most memorable moment for you in the house?

The most memorable time in the house was when the quarterfinal matches were over and all the guys could let their guard down and just relax. All the drama and stress was over for almost everyone. Guys where barbecuing and drinking by the pool. It was good to see and realize that we were all part of something unique.

How was the spike crew behind the scenes? Did they interact with the fighters a lot?

The camera crew and sound guys where all really cool. The fighters and the staff got to know each other really well since were around each other 24/7. They weren't allowed to talk to us at all, so whenever I wanted to know what was going on outside the house, I would slip the camera guy a piece of Kimbo's BBQ chicken, and he would whisper information like, "Michael Jackson died today," or, "Shaquille O'Neil was traded to the Cavs." Then he would disappear. It was pretty funny. Everyone got along with the staff, but if someone got out of hand – like one night some of the guys got drunk and started throwing beer bottles at the neighbors house – this little guy with red hair would come running into the house and just tear into the guys. He would always wear those tight emo jeans, and we would laugh our asses off watching him.

What do you think was the best fight of the whole season?

The best fight of the season so far was Justin Wren vs. Roy Nelson. It was an even matchup and a fight that could of gone either way.

Who do you think, out of the 16 fighters, could really make an impact in the UFC (other then yourself)?

I think there are a number of guys who could compete at the UFC level from the show. Roy, Justin, Jon Madsen, James McSweeney, Marcus Davis, Demico Rogers, and Kimbo, to name just a few. I think a lot of the guys' best shot at success would be to cut to 205 pounds and compete. I get a lot of questions regarding myself cutting to 205; here is the dilemma with that: I walk around at 240-245 pounds with around 8 percent body fat. I think, and my coaches agree, that it would be extremely tough and harsh on my body to make 205 pounds. Plus, my advantages at heavyweight outweigh them at 205. I feel like I can compete with anyone at heavyweight in regards to strength, speed, and quickness by being a smaller heavyweight. Also, my cardio plays a huge role at heavyweight. I'm stuck at a tough weight cause 205 is not possible and neither is 265. I would be all for a 225-pound weight class in the UFC.

How do you see the eventual fight between Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Rashad Evans going down?

I think a fight between "Rampage" and Rashad would be a great matchup. I think Rashad would win if he mixes up his wrestling with striking and wore "Rampage" out to set up his striking. That being said, you can never count out "Rampage." He's a legend in the sport.

What do you think the odds would be on a Brendan Schaub vs. Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson match? do you see yourself as the favorite?

A fight between Kimbo and myself would be a great fight! I think I would be the favorite in this matchup for sure. I feel like I have more tools to win and would have an advantage in striking and on the ground. I would love to fight Kimbo; he is a great dude.

What is you personal opinion of Wes Sims?

Wes is a guy who comes off as crazy and plays into the role very well. He was the reason this season of "TUF" was easier to get through than most, I bet. Wes and his crazy ways were better then television. Although Wes comes off as a crazy guy on the show, outside of his gimmicks he's actually very cool and smart when it comes to MMA. He helped me out with a number of techniques for a fight in the house.

Will Darrill Schoonover ever be able to shake the nickname "Titties," or will he be stuck with that his whole career?

Man, for Darrill's sake, I hope he can lose the nickname "Titties," but I don't see it happening. I spoke with Darrill a few weeks ago, and he did an appearance in New York, and told me everyone came up to him for autographs and referred to him as "Titties." The crappy thing about "Rampage" being mean to Darrill is that before the teams were picked, Darrill's favorite fighter was "Rampage," and he preferred to be part of "Rampage's" team. I think that's why he let "Rampage" get away with the name calling at first.

Does alcohol significantly interfere with physical conditioning? Does it slow down the results? How much do you drink? Do I need to completely abstain to see results, or can I get away with a beer or two per day and a few Jacks on the weekends, as long as I'm training 3 or 4 days a week?

In regards to alcohol and competing, I guess you have to ask yourself how serious or far you want to go in MMA. If you can't cut out alcohol for an eight-week camp, you might be in trouble. I know some fighters that have one beer a night or one on the weekend, but they never get drunk during a camp. I personally cut out all alcohol three months out from a fight, I feel like it takes discipline to compete at a high level, and if you don't have enough discipline to cut out something that won't help you win the fight, you're probably not disciplined in other areas such as diet, training, and sleep, either.

What's your diet like? Do you completely stay away from bread, rice, pasta and other carbs, or can you get away with eating carbs thanks to the amount of training you do?

My diet is pretty strict but nothing crazy like the smaller guys who have to cut weight. A lot of heavyweights eat whatever they want, and it shows by seeing them with their shirts off on the show. I have to consume a lot of carbs and protein, but I get it from lean meats and good sources of carbs. Usually in camp I'll have a cheat day on Saturday or Sunday. I'm like a Ninja Turtle: I love pizza!

Can you let us know how you help guys like Shane Carwin train for their upcoming fights?

Shane and I have been training partners for almost four years now. We are each other's main training partners. We spar 12 rounds a week and usually for eight of them we are matched up. We have a relationship where we push each other to another level that others can't. We are both so competitive that we are always trying to out-do one another. Trevor Wittman gets calls all the time from heavyweights that want to join our camp, but Shane and I feel like we have all the right tools and right training in place to succeed with each other. I would not be where I'm at if it wasn't for Shane, and I would imagine he feels the same way.

What will you do and how will you feel if you have to fight James McSweeney in the finals?

Fighting a teammate is never fun, and "TUF" is notoriously known for making teammates fight. It was definitely a topic that James and I talked about in the house. Our goal was to meet in the Finale if we had to fight each other. That being said, I wasn't in the position to turn down fighting James if Dana matched us up on the show. It's a business, and I can separate friendship from business. The only fight I would absolutely never agree to is a fight with Shane Carwin. Everyone else I can understand and would fight.

Please make sure you join my Web site (www.schaubmma.com), or follow me at twitter.com/brendanschaub and stay tuned for any news pertaining to me. Please leave your suggestions in the comments below for the coming blogs, and thank you again for allowing me to write these for you, MMA junkies.

I want to thank my sponsors Warrior Clothing, NightRider Jewelry, fitfoods4you.com, Max Muscle Highlands Ranch, MTX Audio, PerformanceMMA, Rockwell Watches and Magnetic Marketing Associates.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Cain Velasquez targeted for UFC 110 in Australia

A highly anticipated heavyweight matchup between Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (32-5-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and Cain Velasquez (7-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) may take place Down Under.

Despite reports circulating today that Nogueira and Velasquez will meet at UFC 109 in Las Vegas, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the organization that the UFC is actually leaning toward booking the fight for UFC 110 in Australia.

Verbal agreements are in place for the contest, though bout agreements have not yet been finalized.

Nogueira and Velasquez were expected to meet in the main event of UFC 108 on Jan. 2, but a severe case of staph infection forced "Minotauro" out of the bout.

Nogueira has since undergone treatment for the infection and recently told MMAWeekly.com that he would be ready to fight in February – and that he would love to fight in Australia.

"In February, I think I’ll be in shape," Nogueira said. "I'd love to fight in Australia. If they put me on the card, I would love to fight there."

Prior to the cancellation of the Jan. 2 bout, UFC president Dana White announced that the winner of the contest would receive a heavyweight title shot.

"Nogueira vs. Velasquez is a great matchup between the present and the future of the heavyweight division," White stated. "Nogueira showed in the (Randy) Couture fight that he still has plenty left to offer at the top level of the game, and Velasquez was devastating in his win over Ben Rothwell, so with both guys in top form, we're definitely going to see a No. 1 contender emerge from this fight to take on the winner of the Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin title fight."

Nogueira briefly held the UFC's interim heavyweight title, which he earned by defeating Tim Sylvia in February 2008. Nogueira's lone loss in the UFC came in his next bout, a TKO defeat to Frank Mir in December 2008. The former PRIDE champion bounced back with a win over Couture in the main event of UFC 102 in August.

Meanwhile, Velasquez has long been touted as one of the heavyweight division's most-promising prospects. The American Kickboxing Academy product has earned five-straight UFC wins since debuting in April 2008.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Report: Elvis Sinosic meets Chris Haseman at UFC 110 in Australia

"The King of Rock n Rumble" will reportedly fight again for the UFC.

Longtime MMA veteran Elvis Sinosic (8-11-2 MMA, 1-6 UFC) meets countryman Chris Haseman (20-16 MMA, 0-1 UFC) at UFC 110 in Australia according to a report from the Brisbane Times.

The UFC has yet to officially schedule any contests for the as-yet-unannounced event, which is expected to take place Feb. 21 at Acer Arena in Sydney, Australia.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) could not immediately verify the report.

Despite limited success in the octagon, Sinosic fights for the eighth time inside of the octagon. The 38-year-old defeated Jeremy Horn in his 2001 debut for the promotion at "UFC 30: Battle in the Boardwalk," though Sinosic then lost three-straight bouts to Tito Ortiz, Evan Tanner and Renato "Babalu" Sobral.

Sinosic returned to the UFC in 2005, but he dropped back-to-back contests to Forrest Griffin and Alessio Sakara. The Australian returned again in 2007 for a main-card loss to Michael Bisping at "UFC 70: Nations Collide."

On a recent appearance on MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio), UFC president Dana White said that he wasn't sure Sinosic would fight on the card. However, the UFC exec didn't rule out the possibility and also stated that the Australian was guaranteed to be a part of the UFC's debut in his homeland.

"We had kind of kicked [the idea of Sinosic fighting] around and talked about it," White said. "I don't know where we ended up on that. (But) if he fights or if he doesn't fight, he'll be a part of our promotion over there no matter what.

"We love that kid. He's the best. He's always been such a good kid to us."

Meanwhile, Haseman returns to the UFC for the first time in eight years. The 26-time Rings veteran lost a unanimous decision to Tanner at 2002's "UFC 38: Brawl at the Hall." Haseman has fought just four times since the loss including a November 2008 win that marked his first action in more than four years.

The 40-year-old Haseman's record is spotted with some of the legends of MMA, including Murilo Bustamante, Fedor Emelianenko, Matt Hughes, Gustavo Machado and Mario Sperry, among others.

The match serves as a rematch of a 1997 bout between the two at "Caged Combat 1," one of Australia's earliest major MMA events. The bareknuckle fight saw Haseman earn the win by driving his chin into Sinosic's left eye until he tapped.

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
Fight Path: UFC newcomer Joe Brammer on faith, fighting and trying not to faint

Joe Brammer (7-0-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) might have lifted too many weights. When he checked his body fat for a March 2009 fight with Michael Johnson at a Midwest Cage Championship event, it was only five percent.

But he was still too heavy, at 175 pounds, for the 155-pound fight just two days before it was schedueld. In the next 48 hours, Brammer would make a drastic weight cut and undergo a defining performance that would eventually get him to his dream, the UFC.

"It ended up being a really good fight," said Brammer, 26, of the fourth-round, guillotine-choke victory against Johnson. "I had him in some submissions; he had me in some submissions. We were basically beating the crap out of each other.

"For me, to be able to make it through that fight completely exhausted, then come through, that was huge."

Now 7-0-1, Johnson has used the enthusiasm about that victory to propel him into his biggest opportunity. On Dec. 5, Brammer will fight Mark Bocek at The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale at The Pearl at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas.

It's a big step for the Iowa native whose preacher father first disapproved of a martial arts career and who sold jewelry to finance his training for many years. Brammer credits his upbringing in a faith community for his mental toughness, even if he didn't first immerse himself in the teachings.

"When I grew up, I just went to church," Brammer said. "Now I'm actually more into faith. I'm reading the Bible more, and you see how things connect to real life.

"There were a lot of morals I grew up with because of who my parents were, and it helped me to be a strong person. I don't really think you can be a great fighter if you're not mentally strong."

That's what it took for Brammer to prevail in his key fight against Johnson, but it took plenty for him just to get there.

Son of a preacher man

Born in Oklahoma, Brammer moved with his family to Des Moines when he was young so his father could start a new Christian church there. His parents started educating him, his brother and his two sisters when they were young, so his early schooling was often easy.

He grew up playing football and baseball and got heavily into skateboarding with his friends. He always had an interest in martial arts, but his parents wouldn't allow him to begin lessons.

Until he was 16 and he got his driver's license, that is. With that freedom, Brammer found classes in jeet kune do and then in jiu-jitsu.

Even though he was in classes, Brammer didn't really take the sport seriously until his early 20s, when he started taking a few fights around Iowa to test himself. He did well enough that he wanted to go a step further, so in 2007, after two first-round victories to start his pro career, he moved to Seattle to focus on training.

When he wasn't wearing his suit and tie and selling jewelry during the day, he was training. In December 2007, he fought Kendrick Johnson at an Iowa show and was again rewarded with a first-round win.

"The first guy I fought, it was also his first fight, and the second guy had like six fights, but (Kendrick) was more of a veteran," Brammer said. "So I beat him, and I said, ‘OK, this is what I wanna do.'"

Fainting, then fighting

It was somewhat ominous for Brammer to be cutting massive weight before his March fight, even though he was already 5-0-1 as a pro, because of his history.

Several years before, Brammer was training and cutting weight for a fight, and he continued to get light-headed. He fainted several times, falling to the ground.

The last time, he fell in a way that he broke his jaw, and he required 27 stitches to fix other damage. It was a bad enough injury that he was forced to take eight months off of training and fighting.

He had flashbacks to that moment as he cut nine pounds on the Thursday before his March fight and continued working into Friday. He mixed the sauna with exercise bike work, and he once fainted on the bike. That worried him even more, and he was very weak the night of the fight.

"I pretty much felt like death," Brammer said.

He was hitting pads before the fight, and he worried he might not even make it past the first round. But, things got into the fourth round, and Brammer found out he could shake off the fatigue.

He knew he could go deep into fights, as he had before, but he hadn't done it after cutting 20 pounds in the two previous days. Then, 3:45 into the fourth round, with both fighters on fumes, Brammer caught Johnson in the guillotine choke and ended one of the better fights observers remembered seeing.

He won again in September, and his manager called one day to say the UFC wanted him for its Dec. 5 event. With that, his years of training, move to Seattle (he since moved back) and struggles to go deep into fights had led to the opportunity he had hoped for.

"This means everything to me," Brammer said. "I'm training harder than ever, and I'm doing a lot of things different, a lot of things better. This is the focus of my life now."

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
good Bones Jones interview about the upcoming Hamill fight

It takes all of about 20 seconds talking on the phone to Jon Jones to confirm that the kid is going to be a star. Jones is engaging and funny, confident yet polite. In short, after just 15 months and three fights in the UFC, he has the public relations part of the equation down pat. He's been pretty good inside the cage, too.

The 22-year-old New York native and former junior college national wrestling champion burst onto the scene in January, when he floored Stephan Bonnar with an unorthodox spinning back elbow and then tossed the respected veteran all over the cage en route to a unanimous decision win at UFC 94. After choking out Jake O'Brien at UFC 100, the undefeated Jones (9-0) is now set for his first main event appearance, against Matt Hamill at the live finale of "The Ultimate Fighter" season 10 next Saturday.

The Rumble caught up with Jones this week amid a busy day of training and media obligations while at Greg Jackson's respected MMA camp in New Mexico. Here he talks about his preparations to fight Hamill, training with some of the best athletes in the sport and what it’s like to be the UFC's youngest budding superstar. He also proves to be pretty media savvy. Dig how he tricks us into thanking his sponsors at the end of the interview...

Chad Dundas: It seems like it's been one interview after another for you today, huh?

Jon Jones: Man, it has been pretty hectic today. It's been real repetitive, but it's cool.

CD: What's the weirdest thing you've been asked?

JJ: If I've had a near-death experience.

CD: Have you?

JJ: Yes, I have.

CD: I might have to ask you about that later.

JJ: Oh, no. Not you, Chad. Let's be original. Me and you, brother, let's do this.

CD: Alright. I know you're down at Greg Jackson's right now, is this the first time you've been down there or did you train there before the O'Brien fight too?

JJ: This is my first training camp here but I have been here before, just to kind of try out the scene and see if I wanted to be part of it. Obviously, I fell in love with it.

CD: Tell me a little bit about what it's like down there. What are you learning?

JJ: Well, they’re attacking my main weaknesses. Greg is big on getting his athletes to close up their gaps. My jiu-jitsu has to be my weakest department so he's trying to close that hole up. I've been doing a lot of wrestling and a lot of jiu-jitsu.

CD: I know you've been to the Tri-Star Gym (in Montreal) for this fight as well. What's the experience like for you now to be able to go train with some of these world-renowned camps?

JJ: It's amazing. It's just a total reality check on how not good I actually am. You know what I mean? I go from a school (in New York) where I beat up everyone, and now I get tapped out and guys try to kick my head off. It's an everyday thing. It's just a big reality check in how much work I actually have to do still.

CD: Can you give me a sense of how much your life has changed over the last year?

JJ: It's really, really different. It's been such a blessing. I'm a person who’s really into thinking positively and looking for the best in people, having self confidence and believing in yourself. The biggest thing is that I finally get to spread that message and I get to be an example. I've had the opportunity to meet a lot of amazing people that I would've never, ever gotten to meet without this.

CD: I was going to ask you about your mindset. You've been so successful so fast and you're only 22 years old. What do you have to do to keep yourself grounded and focused?

JJ: Moving to Greg Jackson's and getting beat up everyday? That definitely helps.

CD: Let's talk a little bit about the fight. What do you expect from Matt Hamill?

JJ: Matt Hamill? I'm expecting him to try to go out there and take me down and lay on top of me until the time runs out.

CD: You think so? He's looked better on his feet his last few times out. You still expect a fairly wrestling-based attack from him?

JJ: Absolutely. After the Rich Franklin fight I don't think his confidence is where it needs to be when it comes to striking. I think he's a wrestler at heart and I think that he thinks his best chance of winning is by wrestling me. I'm sure that's what he's going to go out and try to do.

CD: What’s your plan to counteract that? Do you want to try to outwrestle him or would you rather keep it on the feet and force him into a striking battle?

JJ: Well, Jake O'Brien was supposed to outwrestle me, but he didn't pull that off. Like I said, I'm big into confidence so I have no reason to doubt myself … People say how great of a wrestler Matt Hamill was, but he was a great wrestler a long time ago. You lose a lot of wrestling (over time.) The 2006 Jon Jones would beat the snot out of me in a wrestling match today. I'm a little more fresh out of the wrestling scene and he's been out of it for a long time. So for the critics to say that Matt definitely has the upper hand in wrestling, I'm not going to give it to him. He's going to have to prove it. If he takes me down a couple of times and he proves it, then fine, he outwrestled me. But it's not a wrestling match.

CD: In that same vein, what are the other aspects where you think you've got a definite edge over Matt?

JJ: You know what? I'm going to try to say every aspect. I've really trained so hard. To train this hard and not believe in myself would be totally ridiculous.

CD: The flipside of that is, do you see any part of the fight where you have to be particularly careful of his skills?

JJ: Yeah, every part of the fight. Matt Hamill knows how to win a fight; he has an outstanding UFC record. I just hope that my self confidence never, ever comes across as being arrogant, because I really dislike arrogant people. But I just try not to doubt myself. Obviously, if I was fighting like a B.J. Penn I would say he's definitely a better jiu-jitsu guy than me. But Hamill, he can do a little bit of everything, but he's not super great at anything. He's not super fast. I guess his strength is one of his big advantages. But I'm just going to keep the faith in myself, because that's all I've really got in life, you know?

CD: Where do you think he stacks up against the other guys you've fought in the Octagon, like (Andre) Gusmao, O'Brien and Bonnar?

JJ: I think that he could possibly be physically the slowest and probably physically the strongest.

CD: I think one of the things that's made you so popular so fast is – not only your throws, especially against Bonnar – but you also have this unorthodox, exciting striking style with the spinning back fists and stuff like that. As you get more and more training at these top camps where they have really elite-level striking coaches, do you find guys are trying to change that about you, to make you a more conventional striker?

JJ: One thing about Greg Jackson is that he sees who I am and he respects who I am and he allows me to be who I am. He tells me every day, "I love your creativity, Jon. I want more of that. What is that called? Do more of that funky thing." He loves it. The only thing he forces is for me to be able to push the pace. Instead of one flying knee, he wants six flying knees per round. Instead of a few jabs, he wants 20 jabs per round. He wants combinations, he wants punches in bunches. He wants (me) to use the base of (conventional) fighting to set up the funkiness. He embraces it, he just wants me to take pride in this new set of lungs that I have.

CD: Being creative and unpredictable, do you see that as one of your strengths as a fighter?

JJ: I'm starting to realize that it is. I had never really thought about it before. It's kind of just who I am. I had to kind of teach myself how to fight and teach myself how to strike. Seeing people knock others out with a spinning back fist was just cool to me, so I was just like "Man, I'm going to practice this weird stuff, here in my living room in front of this mirror." Now, it's like I can't break away from it and I don't want to break away from it.

CD: Do you feel any added pressure knowing that this fight will be at the top of the card?

JJ: No, not at all. I think everything happens for a reason. All the attention and all the media that was around UFC 100, that kind of scared me. But that prepared me for this.

CD: As you look around that weight class, where do you see yourself compared to the other top guys at 205-pounds?

JJ: I see myself as the guy who's going to fight Matt Hamill on Saturday night.

CD: Can't trick you into answering that one, huh?

JJ: Yeah, sorry.

CD: There's not a lot of criticism of you out there so far. But when you came into the UFC you were coming off five or six stoppages right in a row, then you had the back-to-back decisions against Bonnar and Gusmao, so people started to say: "Well, we need to see if he can finish guys at this level." Then you choked out O'Brien. Do you see those two decisions as being anomalies in your career? Do you consider yourself to be a fairly adept finisher?

JJ: I think these guys made it to the UFC for a reason. You've got to respect that you weren't able to finish these guys. They’re martial artists just like I am. I couldn't finish them, but it was nothing that I did wrong. These guys are tough. Bonnar was really special because that (spinning back elbow) hit was really unique and hard and he survived it. Hats off to him for that. I'm just going to be grateful for winning, I'm not going to complain about not finishing.

CD: That's all I've got for you, Jon. Anything you want to add?

JJ: I just want to thank my sponsors, but you probably won't put that in there.

CD: No man, go ahead, we'll put that in there at the bottom.

JJ: (laughing) Oh no, you're not going to do it, Chad. You're not going to do it.

CD: Don't doubt me, man. I'll totally do it.

JJ: I'll hold you to it.

CD: Well, say who they are then.

JJ: I just wanted to thank Silver Star for being such a great company. That's it.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Rumble/entry/view/45267/rumble_exclusive_jon_jones_interview

Feb 7, 2006
M-1: Fedor-Rogers Watched by Over 25 Million

Fedor Emelianenko’s second-round technical knockout over previously undefeated Brett Rogers at Strikeforce/M-1 Global “Fedor vs. Rogers” on Nov. 7 was viewed by over 25 million people worldwide, according to a press release sent out by M-1 Global on Monday.

M-1 Global co-promoted the event with Strikeforce and negotiated its foreign broadcasting deals outside of the U.S. M-1 Global also manages Emelianenko.

“The main event of Fedor vs. Rogers reached an impressive 5.46 million viewers in the United States on the CBS Network,” said the release. “The fight was also broadcast in Fedor’s native Russia by ‘Channel 1,’ Russia's largest television network, and reached 16 million viewers in Fedor’s home country. In addition, ‘Fedor vs. Rogers’ was broadcast to millions of viewers in Korea on SBS, one of the three major national South Korean networks, as well as television networks in China, Latin America, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Ukraine, Finland, Africa, Turkey, Israel, Indonesia, Bulgaria, Romania, and Malta. Live internet streams of the ‘Fedor vs. Rogers’ bout generated ground-breaking viewer numbers in Japan and all over the world and these numbers continue to grow through Video on Demand.”

In Russia, Emelianenko’s bout was broadcasted on a four-hour delay at 12:00 p.m. by the free, government-run channel, which reaches approximately 120 million homes.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 107 fighter weigh-ins slated for Dec. 11 at FedExForum in Memphis

Official fighter weigh-ins for next month's "UFC 107: Penn vs. Sanchez" event take place Friday, Dec. 11, at the FedExForum in Memphis, Tenn.

The event, which is free and open to the public, begins at 4 p.m. ET (3 p.m. CT local time). Doors open at 3 p.m. ET.

The same venue hosts the following day's pay-per-view event, which features a headliner and championship bout between UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn and top contender Diego Sanchez.

UFC 107 also features a pivotal heavyweight clash between former champ Frank Mir and contender Cheick Kongo, a welterweight bout between longtime contender Jon Fitch and fast-rising Mike Pierce, an intriguing lightweight contest between veterans Kenny Florian and Clay Guida, and the promotional return of heavyweight Paul Buentello.

As always MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) will be on scene for the weigh-ins and will have a live video stream of the proceedings.

In addition to the weigh-ins, the UFC hosts a UFC Fight Club Q&A session with top UFC welterweight contender Dan Hardy (2 p.m. ET) and an autograph session with a host of UFC fighters (TBA) from 1-3 p.m. ET.

The full UFC 107 card includes:

MAIN CARD

* Champ B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez (for lightweight title)
* Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir
* Jon Fitch vs. Mike Pierce
* Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida
* Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia
* Shane Nelson vs. Matt Wiman
* Ricardo Funch vs. Johny Hendricks
* Lucio Linhares vs. Rousimar Palhares
* Edgar Garcia vs. DaMarques Johnson
* Kevin Burns vs. T.J. Grant

Feb 7, 2006
The MMA Oldtimer: How newsman turned MMA promoter/agent Monte Cox built an empire

One of the most notable and influential careers in mixed-martial-arts can be traced to a piece of paper that slid across a desk at the Quad City Times newspaper in 1995.

It was the desk of Monte Cox, an editor at the paper who had been in journalism for 16 years but also had a background in and love for boxing.

"It said there was a local guy doing an ultimate fighting event in Chicago," Cox told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) this week while breaking from a family vacation. "The guy was a local tough guy everybody knew. He had beaten up everybody in the bars and in school.

"It turned out to be Pat Miletich."

Starting with that interest in the local tough guy-turned-MMA fighter, Cox began a career promoting events (while making Iowa one of the cradles of the sport in the United States) and managing notable fighters that has grown as the sport has grown. To this day, Cox is often mentioned as one of the people who helped MMA take off in this country, as he spread an early interest in Iowa elsewhere in the country.

Now, at 49, Cox is still going strong. His company, Ultimate Productions, has broken off into arms that put on shows (Extreme Challenge), manage fighters (Extreme Challenge Management) and get them endorsements (Extreme Challenge Endorsements).

In managing, with his 70 or so clients, Cox said he tries to take a personal approach that has often been missing in the sport. He's guiding those fighters into an unknown future for the sport that has grown so quickly that it's difficult to gauge exactly where it's going.

Cox has credited the sanctioning bodies with cleaning up the sport and making it more credible. But, he would like to see changes in officiating, making it more stable, and longer fights at the championship level.

"I never cease to be amazed at how things turn in the sport," Cox said. "You think of the days when the jiu-jitsu guys won everything, then the Maurice Smiths and those guys came in as the powerful wrestlers, then the guys who avoided takedowns and knocked people out. Now you have to be able to do everything.

"Five years from now, it's almost scary to think about how good the guys will be."

A note on a desk

By the time Cox saw the note about Miletich cross his desk, he was already part of a successful career. After growing up in small-town Indiana playing football and basketball and boxing, Cox got a journalism education at Ball State University in Muncie, Ind., and began his newspaper career that made him a sports editor and, then, a news editor in Davenport, Iowa.

When he heard about the Miletich fight in Chicago, he thought he would go to the gym and check out what this fighting was about. He had promoted some boxing events, so he was comfortable in gyms.

But this was new.

"I had seen wrestling, I had seen boxing, but this jiu jitsu was like magic or something," Cox said. "It was almost bizarre. They would put me in arm bars and chokes. I'm thinking, 'I've never heard of anything like this.' I was addicted."

Cox traveled with Miletich to the Chicago event, an eight-man tournament called Battle of the Masters.

"There were no weight classes," Cox said. "All the fights were the same night. There was a guy with a big ring in his nose and a ponytail, a Japanese guy, a huge heavyweight.

"Pat went through them like butter, and he won the whole thing. We get back to the Quad Cities, and he says, 'You have to do a show here.' I said, 'No, I know boxers. I'm comfortable with them, but I wouldn't know the first thing about this new stuff.'"

But Miletich continued to ask, and Cox agreed. He booked the biggest arena in town he could find, which accommodated about 10,000 people, and made professional-looking posters. It was called Quad City Ultimate.

There were 8,000 people at the event. Three months later, they did another show, and 6,000 people were there. Cox formed Ultimate Productions and Extreme Challenge, quit his newspaper job and started plowing through the Midwest.

"I had a fever for the thing," he said. "I was doing a show a month, and we wanted big crowds. If we went to Des Moines and got 3,500 people, we weren't going back. I wanted 8,000 people. I wanted it all. I wrote the law for Iowa, got it approved. I was the first one to do Wisconsin, one of the first in Illinois, Michigan, Utah. At the time, I couldn't do anything wrong. People wanted it so much.

"The UFC was off hiding from the sanctioning bodies, and I was out going places, getting ticketed. Everyone was treating me like I was a carnie, but people loved the rawness of it. They couldn't help but watch."

Moving MMA forward

As the shows moved forward at a pace of about one per month, Cox lamented the lack of fighter management. He didn't have a background in it, but he took on some fighters, including Miletich.

As his companies have grown, he has put on more shows and has taken on more fighters. Cox, like many around the country, has watched the sport take off.

"This could've ended at any time if there had been some untimely accidents," Cox said. "It could've just been a fad if there had been some accidents or deaths. That's a positive."

Still, there are some things that could use some adjusting, Cox said.

"We're so, so, far behind on the officiating and judging," he said. "Boxing has its own weed-'em-out method. I used to judge, and we would get graded. You had to keep at 70 percent, or you would go back and take seminars.

"Here, we have the same five referees doing all the big fights. We just have to develop more guys."

Cox also thinks there should be changes to time limits, at least in the bigger fights. Why not, he said, give people more of the title bouts and ensure they're not decided by split decisions. The veteran pros, he said, are fighting the same length as beginners. This is another place where he points to boxing as possibly doing it right, increasing the length of the fights as the level progresses.

In looking at the future, though, Cox wonders how great the athletes will become. The sport is still young enough that the best athletes have often grown up choosing other sports, such as basketball or football.

Now, the very good athletes will be able to choose MMA earlier, making for a better crop of fighters.

Those fighters will enter a sport that has seen almost unbelievable growth, in part because of Cox and his early interest and advancement into new areas.

"There are young kids out there who are into wrestling and jiu jitsu," Cox said. "They're starting earlier, and they're getting better. Who knows what can happen?"

Feb 7, 2006
Trevor Prangley wins title at Shark Fights 7

UFC and Strikeforce veteran Trevor Prangley (22-5), one of the sport's top 205-pound free agents, picked up a light heavyweight title over the weekend with a submission victory over local favorite Marcus Sursa.

The South African fighter headlined Shark Fights 7 at Azteca Music Hall in Amarillo, Texas.

Prangley, making his promotional debut at the show, ended the fight with a rear-naked choke at the 4:40 mark of the first round to capture the vacant Shark Fights title.

The fight was part of an eight-bout professional card. None of the fights went the distance.

In recent weeks, Prangley has discussed the possibility of returning to Strikeforce, where he finished second in the organization's November 2007 middleweight championship (won by current champ Jorge Santiago). That loss remains Prangley's only in his past 12 fights.

Of his 11 wins during the streak, eight have come via stoppage. Prangley went 2-2 in the UFC from 2004 to 2006 before moving onto Strikeforce, BodogFIGHT and a handful of regional promotions.

Earlier this year, he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) those bookings were born out of necessity.

"I haven't been able to get on anywhere," Prangley said. "I've been talking to Strikeforce, talking to the UFC, talking everywhere. I just haven't been able to secure a contract.

"I actually had to fight on my own show just a couple of months ago (in March) just to stay busy. I threw my own show up in Idaho, and I fought in the main event."

The official Shark Fights 7 results included:

* Trevor Prangley def. Marcus Sursa via submission (rear-naked choke)- Round 1
* Liam McCarty def. Tony Castillo via submission (triangle choke) - Round 2
* Kyle Bracey def. Steven Ray via submission (north-south choke) - Round 2
* Brandi Hainey def. Yadira Anzaldua via submission (guillotine choke) - Round 2
* Jared Lopez def. William Tyler Dodson via TKO (strikes)- Round 1
* Josh Luna def. Chase Watson via TKO (strikes) - Round 1
* Eric Rodriguez def. Joshua Milward via submission (rear-naked choke)- Round 1
* Anselmo Luis Luna Jr. def. Severo Padilla via TKO (strikes)- Round 1