MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Dave Jansen returns at WEC 46 to fight Kamal Shalorus (not Bendy Casimir)

World Extreme Cagefighting's undefeated Dave Jansen (14-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) has agreed to fight at January's WEC 46 event, but the lightweight fighter won't meet WEC newcomer Bendy Casimir (19-5-2 MMA, 0-0 WEC).

WEC officials today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Jansen is tentatively scheduled for the Jan. 10 card but couldn't confirm his opponent.

However, despite recent reports of a Jansen vs. Casimir matchup, a source close to the event told MMAjunkie.com Jansen instead fights Kamal Shalorus (5-0-1 MMA, 1-0 WEC).

Bout agreements are expected to be finalized this week.

WEC 46 takes place at ARCO Arena in Sacramento, Calif., with a lightweight title-unification bout between champion Jamie Varner and interim title-holder Benson Henderson. With the night's Versus-televised main card already announced, Jansen vs. Shalorus will be part of the night's un-televised preliminary card.

Despite not fighting Jansen, Casimir, a French fighter who's 15-1 since March 2007, is expected to debut with the WEC in 2010.

Jansen, a SportFight and M-1 Challenge veteran, posted 13 consecutive wins (eight via stoppage) to start his career and earn a WEC contract. He made his promotional debut in October and stopped veteran Richard Crunkilton (16-3) via decision at WEC 43.

Shalorus, meanwhile, turned pro just 19 months ago but quickly earned his way into the WEC following a 4-0-1 run. The Iranian fighter made it 5-0-1 after defeating Will Kerr via 86-second TKO at WEC 44 earlier this month. Shalorus, who was moved to the night's televised main card at the last minute, dazzled in his debut and won over the crowd with a passionate post-fight speech.

The latest WEC 46 card now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Jamie Varner vs. interim champ Benson Henderson (to unify lightweight title)
* Raphael Assuncao vs. Urijah Faber
* Mackens Semerzier vs. Deividas Taurosevicius
* Akitoshi Tamura vs. Charlie Valencia

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Dave Jansen vs. Kamal Shalorus*
* Mark Homick vs. Yves Jabouin
* Rafael Rebello vs. Eddie Wineland
* Wagnney Fabiano vs. Frank Gomez*
* Jesse Moreng vs. George Roop*

* - Not yet officially announced

Feb 7, 2006
California athletic commission says fighters can be disciplined for medical marijuana

The California State Athletic Commission has made its stance on medical marijuana use among combat athletes clear: fighters who test positive for marijuana will be disciplined whether they have a medical marijuana card or not.

California passed Proposition 215 (also known as the Compassionate Use Act of 1996) more than a decade ago, and the state now has more medical marijuana users (more than 200,000) than any other U.S. state that has similar legislation.

However, fighters such as Nick Diaz, who has publicly stated he holds a California medical marijuana card, can be disciplined by the CSAC for a positive test, commission officials stated.

The CSAC, which published the position on its official Web site, points to Rule 303, which gives the commission the right to discipline fighters for any positive drug test. While claiming the Compassionate Use Act only protects users from criminal charges and pointing to the Supreme Court case of Ross v. RagingWire Telcomm, which allowed an employer to discipline an employee over the issue, the CSAC stated medical marijuana users are subject to the same guidelines as other licensed fighters.

"Because the Compassionate Use Act only provides a defense to criminal charges, any argument that the Act would allow an athlete to use the drug without consequences to his or her license must fail," the statement read. "If the Court were to take up a similar challenge to discipline of a licensee, it would likely find that the Commission has a legitimate interest in whether or not an athlete uses the drug because marijuana could slow a fighter's reflexes and endanger his or her health and safety in the ring or the cage.

"Therefore ... the Commission may safely discipline an athlete without running afoul of any law or court decision."

Diaz had a February 2007 submission win over Takanori Gomi overturned (and ruled a no-decision) after the Nevada State Athletic Commission detected marijuana in his post-fight drug test. Diaz said the usage was for medical reasons.

In what was supposed to be his most recent fight in California, Diaz skipped a pre-fight drug test and wasn't licensed for an Aug. 15 welterweight title fight with Jay Hieron.

Diaz previously stated he uses medical marijuana (rather than prescription medications) as a natural treatment for sleep issues and anxiety.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC vet Rich Clementi wins in Northern Ireland

Former UFC fighter and popular veteran Rich Clementi picked up a much-needed win over the weekend.

At Sunday's Cage Wars event in Belfast, Northern Ireland, "The Ultimate Fighter 4" cast member stopped Chris Stringer (5-10-1) via second-round submission with a triangle choke.

Clementi (34-15-1) had suffered three losses in four bouts prior to the win, which came at the 3:11 mark of the round.

Clementi, who recently celebrated his 10-year anniversary in the fight game, reached the 50-fight mark with the bout, which headlined the 15-fight lineup at Kings Hall.

The Louisiana native, who also promotes show in the state, has had four different stints with the UFC, which included a spot on the special "comeback" fourth season of the organization's reality series.

From September 2007 to May 2008, Clementi won six straight fights (four in the UFC) and posted victories over Anthony Johnson, Melvin Guillard, Sam Stout and Terry Etim to climb into the UFC lightweight title picture. The UFC, though, terminated his contract earlier this year following back-to-back losses to Gray Maynard and Gleison Tibau.

Surprisingly, the Cage Wars fight was Clementi's first career bout in Europe.

Feb 7, 2006
PICKETT PULLS DOUBLE-DUTY WITH 135 & WEC DEBUT

One of the U.K’s best-kept secrets, British slugger Brad Pickett, has become another name added to the Zuffa roster, recently signing on with World Extreme Cagefighting.

A Cage Rage veteran, Pickett over the years has carved his name as one of the leading featherweight prospects not just in England, but in the world.

When the call came for Brad to join the ranks of one of the world’s leading promotions, which highlights the lighter weight classes, it was an experience that Pickett met with thrill and a level-headed attitude.

“It’s still kind of weird. I got excited by it, but I kept it on a level where I didn’t get crazy by it,” said “One Punch” in regards to his call to the big leagues, while speaking with MMAWeekly.com.

“Until I’m actually there, the week before the fight, I’m not going to do any hard training, just cutting weight.

“As soon as I make the weight as well, then I’ll know ‘hey, I’m fighting in the WEC.’”

Facing bantamweight Kyle Dietz in his debut at WEC 45 in Las Vegas will be a challenge in of itself, let alone the fact that this will mark the former featherweight’s first dissention to 135 pounds.

“I was never really the biggest featherweight, but I was never the smallest,” said Pickett.

“It will be the first time for me, fighting guys that I can man – I never thought my stamina was a problem. I never fought a guy in featherweight that I thought, ‘[Expletive], I’m not strong enough.’

What Pickett lacked in size in the past was always buoyed by his power, which is something he feels now more than ever, will be his biggest asset.

“I believe I hit hard for that weight class (featherweight), so I think my power will show through a lot more, even now at (bantamweight).”

Feb 7, 2006
JOSE ALDO: A FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING

For the first time in his WEC career, Jose Aldo had no idea what to do.

He had just steamrolled Mike Brown to win the promotion’s featherweight title at WEC 44, the culmination of a seven-year journey from the streets of Manaus, Brazil, to Rio de Janeiro to the lights of Las Vegas.

Usually, he did his own version of “The Happy Dance” after stopping an opponent: a spring-step around the cage, palms upward and arms outstretched. This time, it was all a little overwhelming.

He did, however, find time to kiss WEC general manager Reed Harris on the forehead.

Aldo, 23, shared an emotional phone conversation with his family back in Brazil, who had watched the fight live thanks to a new TV deal between the promotion and sports channel Globosat.

“They all cried when they saw that I won,” he told reporters in a media breakfast the day of UFC 106.

After living at his gym in Rio in the early days of his career, he and his wife now have an apartment in the city. The $26,000 he banked for the fight would go towards his family, Aldo said, though he wasn’t distracted by the financial stakes of the night.

“I leave everything outside the cage,” he said. “I leave all my problems, all my family, all my emotions. At that point in time, I’m just focused on the fight and put on the best performance I can do.”

The young champion felt he would win that night, but that was no different than any other fight.

“Every night I walk into the cage, I feel like it’s my night,” he said.

And so far, no one’s said different. The victory was Aldo’s sixth straight TKO victory and his highest profile opponent to date. Brown was expected to have the wrestling advantage, but couldn’t take the Brazilian down and found himself trapped on his stomach eating punches until the fight was halted early in the second.

As quickly as the fight came to an end, Aldo felt he could have been more aggressive against Brown and finished it earlier.

Aldo said he’s enjoyed the attention he’s gotten from the performance and wants to learn English so his American fans get to know him better. He plans to travel stateside for training at Black House in Los Angeles, which shares a working relationship with his home gym, Nova Uniao.

Meanwhile, he’s auctioning off items from the fight to benefit young martial artists living in Rio’s poverty-stricken favelas.

Back home, he says he’s not overlooked for more famous fighters like Pedro Rizzo and Anderson Silva as much.

Aldo doesn’t yet have a challenger to his belt, but if former champion Urijah Faber gets past Raphael Assuncao at WEC 46, a showdown might be inevitable.

For the time being, though, Aldo will let his accomplishment sink in. And eat, a lot.

“Life is good,” he said. “I’ve worked really hard to get here.”

Feb 7, 2006
AARON SIMPSON KICKS TRAINING INTO HIGH GEAR

I gotta say, I thought I stayed in great shape since my last fight, but last week killed me!

Monday, I hit B.D.'s Training Room treadmill workout and broke! I couldn't believe it. I have never done that. I jumped off the treadmill, went into the bathroom, did a little soul searching, and gathered my wits, all the while I hear the treadmill still whirling!

I think B.D. is expecting me to get out there and finish! I walk out and see him facing the treadmill, arms crossed, not saying a word to me. I jump back on and finish. Later I apologized for being a (expletive) and said it wouldn't happen again. I am not sure why it happened, but I am better because of it.

Later that day, I went to Arizona Combat Sports for Monday MMA spar day. I was to do three five-minute rounds with Jesse Forbes. If anyone knows Jesse, they know that he "brings it" when it comes to sparring. He is a southpaw (same as Tom Lawlor) who is one of the most well rounded athletes in our gym. I know that I am going to be in a fight every time we spar. This time was no different. We battled all three rounds the entire time and were exhausted after. Needless to say, I slept well that night.

On Tuesday, I did four five-minute rounds of mitts with Trevor Lally, and then jetted up to the ASU Wrestling Room to wrestle with ASU's 184 pounder at their wrestling practice. We wrestled a straight 40-minute match with no break. It was nice to be back in that room wrestling with a tough kid like Jake. I make sure that I keep wrestling in my training. It keeps me limber and fast. Once again that night, I slept well.

On Wednesday, I lifted hard in the morning, and then sat in the Ice Whirlpool at ASU Sports Medicine. This was to recover my legs and get them ready to do five rounds of hard boxing that night. I went to AZCS at 3:30 p.m. to get my sparring in, went hard, and then went home. Another hard day’s work I can cross off the calendar.

Thursday was Thanksgiving. My wife and I spent the morning lifting weights at the Lifetime Fitness gym that we are members of before we did the usual family Thanksgiving. We actually did things a little different this year. We ate lunch at "Green," a vegetarian restaurant in Scottsdale that was serving their "Thanks Living" vegetarian meal. It was awesome! We ate veggie turkey with all the fixings, and not one animal was harmed! We felt pretty good about that.

After that, we went by and spent time with some of her cousins that live out here. Then we went to my brother's house and spent the evening with him and his family and my parents.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were Recovery/Stretch and light-work days.

Monday begins one of the most intense weeks of my training camp thus far!

Hope all had a great Thanksgiving and I'll blog again soon!!!

Feb 7, 2006
NICKELS SET FOR TUF SHOWDOWN IN RING OF FIRE

After disappointing showings on The Ultimate Fighter 3 and at UFC 73, Colorado jiu-jitsu ace “Big” Mike Nickels has found himself on the comeback trail.

Wins in his last three fights, including an impressive Fight of the Night win over fellow UFC veteran David Heath in the MFC in October has Nickels possibly on the verge of returning to his former promotion.

Currently standing in the way of Nickels’ achieving such a task is Ultimate Fighter 8 alumnus Vinny “Pezao” Magalhaes, as the two are scheduled to meet on the Dec. 4 edition of Colorado’s popular Ring of Fire.

“I feel good,” stated Nickels heading into Friday’s fight. “I’ve been training a lot and working on a lot of different things, and coming off the David Heath fight I feel like I’ve got good momentum and want to keep it going.”

With two wins this year, and three victories in a row overall after having left the UFC, Nickels is having the kind of year he wanted to in order to accomplish his main goal.

“In 2009 I wanted to make a push back to the UFC, so I started training really hard and finally towards the end of the year we finally started having things come along,” Nickels told MMAWeekly.com.

“Originally the UFC told me to get a couple wins and they’d have me back after the Stephan Bonner fight. It took me a little while to get the fights to come through, but I got a couple wins, and hopefully if things go my way against Vinnie, it will (create) that opportunity.”

While he’s confident going into the fight, Nickels knows Magalhaes is someone he cannot underestimate.

“On the ground he’s definitely a top-shelf jiu-jitsu guy,” stated Nickels. “Some of the only fights I remember from (Ultimate Fighter) Season 8 was with him being slick on the ground, with omo plata arm bars from the top and stuff.

“I have faith in my jiu-jitsu and my training, and if anything I can keep myself out of danger. As far as the stand-up, it’s anybody’s fight.”

Nickels further explained, “I know a lot of people say that Vinnie doesn’t like to get hit, or he doesn’t have the best stand-up, but people were saying that about me for years.

“The last thing I would do is expect him to just try to take me to the ground. I know David Heath thought I was going to take him down, and I was pretty comfortable standing and trading with him, so I expect an all level fight from Vinnie.”

Should Nickels capitalize on the opportunity Magalhaes presents, he feels that 2010 could be the year he makes his push back to the big leagues.

“Looking to the New Year, I think I’m in as good of a position as I’ve ever been,” said Nickels. “I’m training, constantly getting better; improving my speed, timing, submissions, wrestling, and as far as I’m concerned, I’m the best fighter I’ve ever been so far.

“I’m looking forward to the next year. There’s such a huge pool of talent out there and every fight brings another challenge, and I’m up for that. I want to see where I fit into at this level.”

Four wins in a row could make it hard for the UFC to deny that Nickels has worked his way back to the promotion, and that’s exactly what he’s determined to do.

“I want to thank Colorado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai of Colorado, Oscar Martinez, all my sponsors, the guys in my gym and my family for being supportive and helping me get in the cage and looking out for me,” closed out Nickels.

“I’m preparing for the worst and expecting the best. I’ll be in there with my gloves on, fighting my heart out, and may the best man win.”

Feb 7, 2006
Jake Shields: Cung Le showed his true colors by ducking me

"I’m a little frustrated. I thought [Cung and I] were friends, but I kind of lost respect for him when he decided not to fight me and hand picked his [next] opponent. I expected it from him, honestly, because people for years were telling me that Cung Le was that way and would never fight with me, so he showed his true colors ... We have trained together and we both know what would happen, so I guess he would just prefer to give up his belt and pick fighters that he matches up well with. For a guy like me it’s hard to understand, because I try to test myself against the best."

Feb 7, 2006
Cung Le: ‘Always Preparing For The Worst’

Respect and honor are two words that have gone hand and hand with martial arts since men first began to train in the art of punching one another in the face. Those are same two words that come to mind when trying to describe the characteristics of one of the most decorated kickboxers of modern times, former Strikeforce middleweight champion Cung Le.

Honor when it comes to making the right choices for his family regardless of the criticism he should fall under, and respect in stepping down from his position at the top of the Strikeforce middleweight division to allow others to share the same spotlight and have the same opportunity to achieve what has done so much for his career away from the cage.

Whether it has been Kickboxing, Sanshou or Mixed Martial Arts, Le has yet to see defeat in his professional fighting career. Yet Cung knows as well as anyone that no man is invincible, and accordingly, Le is currently deep in training for his upcoming middleweight clash with Scott Smith like it’s the most important bout of his career.

With all things considered, being thirty-seven years of age with a bright movie career in frot of him and coming off of a year and a half layoff to face arguably his toughest opponent to date, it very well be the most important fight of Le’s career in the cage, or ring for that matter. If not the most important, definitely the most pivotal in regards to the future of a man that will likely be considered one of the greatest pure martial artists of our generation in years to come.

This is more than just a fight for Cung. this fight is about proving the critics wrong. This fight is about proving to himself what Le already knows deep in his heart; That he can hang and still belongs banging it out with the top fighters of today. This fight is about an undefeated legacy of accomplishment in the martial arts, ending at the pinnacle of combat sports: Mixed Martial Arts.

FiveOuncesofPain.com recently had the opportunity to speak with Cung about a variety of subjects including his upcoming showdown with “Hands of Stone” at “Strikeforce: Evolution” on December 19th (of course), his boy Anthony Johnson’s performance against Josh Koscheck, along with gathering Le’s reactions to current Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shield’s statements that Cung has been ducking him.

FiveOuncesofPain: The last time I spoke to you was just prior to the release of “Pandorum”, and I wanted to tell you: I’ve seen it, and I loved it. It was kind of like “The Descent” meets any of the “Alien” films for me. Really claustrophobic, and really freaky. Do you have any other movie plans lined up for the near future?

Cung Le: I have a couple projects for next year. Nothing is signed or locked in yet, but they brought me in and talked to me about being interested in a couple of projects.

FiveOuncesofPain: This is kind of a random question but Tony Jaa happens to be one of my favorite martial arts/action stars; What are your thoughts on Mr. Jaa?

Cung Le: I think he’s really fantastic with the action. I haven’t had a chance to see the new “Ong Bak II” but he definitely made a big splash with “Ong Bak” part one.

FiveOuncesofPain: Yeah part two’s pretty awesome man. Maybe one day we’ll be able to see Cung and Tony side by side.

Cung Le: You know, you never know. I’m sure that once I get the chance to choreograph all of my fight scenes that there will be some really cutting edge stuff there too.

FiveOuncesofPain: So is that kind of the idea you have for yourself in the future; Kind of doing the whole Jackie Chan choreographing all of your action scenes type of thing?

Cung Le: Yeah definitely. Like with a lot of “Pandorum” and “Fighting” I had a chance to offer some advice on some of the scenes, and next thing I know they’re using it, so…

FiveOuncesofPain: That’s cool man. Well we’re just a few weeks away, and it seems like such a typical boring question, but it has to be asked; How are you feeling right now, are the reflexes and everything still where they need to be?

Cung Le: I’m feeling good. I’m excited, I’m nervous, and I have the jitterbugs. It’s all part of the game.

FiveOuncesofPain: But being nervous is normal, right?

Cung Le: For me it is.

FiveOuncesofPain: Then I guess that’s a good thing. Everything seems like it’s going according to plan so far.

Cung Le: Yeah, everything seems good. I think the best person to ask would be Javier Mendez though. He’s the most honest about my training. It’s hard for me to tell how I’m doing. I’m just going to push it as hard as I can, and if he pushes me I’m going to push back.

FiveOuncesofPain: So are you going down to the American Kickboxing Academy or is Javier coming over there to train with you?

Cung Le: Actually he’s coming down to my gym and he’s been bringing some guys over. A couple of weeks ago I wrestled with Cain Velasquez, Trevor Prangley and Josh Thomson. I’m really thankful for them coming down to train with me because it makes it a lot easier on me with my schedule.

FiveOuncesofPain: What are your thoughts on Scott Smith and what he brings to the table? Obviously he’s a bit of a striker like yourself. How do you feel you guys match up?

Cung Le: I think we match up great. I think it’s going to be an exciting fight, Scott Smith is going to be dangerous from round one to round three. I’ve obviously seen quite a few of his fights in the past, and he’s dangerous. He’s got that really big punch. I’m just going to go in there and blank out my mind and just react.

FiveOuncesofPain: Right, and I was going to say that I’m sure you’ve studied quite a bit of tape on Scott and have seen his ability to remain dangerous at all times; Will it be a situation where if you hurt him, you’re going to have to be just a little more cautious due to history of coming back out of nowhere?

Cung Le: Yeah, definitely. You know, a lot of people rush in, but I’ve been in situations where I’ve hurt guys and I’m very really smart about it. Also when I do smell blood I’m able to stay very controlled.

FiveOuncesofPain: Neither of you guys are known for your flying armbars or gogoplatas; Is there pretty much no question in your mind this will turn into a slugfest or are you anticipating Scott trying to take you out of your strong point, and maybe trying to take you to the mat?

Cung Le: Yeah, well me and my team are always preparing for the worst so I’ve been working a lot on my ground game, just in case. I’ve been working my ground game for a while now, so I just have to maintain it. You have to stay a complete fighter and not just work the stand-up because you think it’s going to be a stand-up fight. You never know what to expect from Scott Smith. I’m sure he has a good camp, and I’m sure that if he gets into a little trouble standing that he’s going to try to take the fight to the ground, and you know, I’m comfortable there too.

FiveOuncesofPain: Right, for sure.

Cung Le: You won’t see a gogoplata, but you might see something (laughs).

FiveOuncesofPain: Would you say that it’s safe to say that Scott is the most dangerous striker in MMA that you have faced up until this point?

Cung Le: Ummm, yeah I guess so. I would have to say that Scott Smith is the most dangerous MMA fighter I have fought, but during my time in Sanshou I faced many very dangerous strikers. So I’ve been in there with the best of the best in Sanshou, but I have to realize that those fights were with 10 oz. gloves and these are with 4 oz. gloves. It’s a different sport. Anyone can get knocked out with these gloves. You get hit right and it’s goodnight.

FiveOuncesofPain: Now obviously you have Scott in front of you right now so I’m sure you have tunnel-vision on him, but are you thinking about getting back into the title fray in a matter of time, or are you more just taking things one fight at a time right now?

Cung Le: Just one fight at a time. Scott Smith is definitely at the end of that tunnel right now, and I have to get past him before I even think about anything else. It’s good to be back and train hard . Well it’s good and bad I guess because some things can linger and (laughs) sometimes I’m like, ‘Man, now I know why I enjoy making the movies’, (laughs) because you’re not always sore. But you have to keep with it. I’m enjoying what I’m doing as a fighter and a martial artist, and it’s because of MMA that I’m able to do all of these other things. It’s pretty cool to be able to do both.

FiveOuncesofPain: But there’s pros and cons to both I’m sure. I mean when you’re fighting, you probably want to be acting, and when you’re acting, you probably want to be fighting. I guess it’s just the way it works…

Cung Le: Yeah (laughs), you can’t win.

FiveOuncesofPain: I have to ask you your thoughts on Anthony Johnson’s performance; At just 25 yrs old, do you feel like he will learn more from that recent loss to Koscheck than if he had won?

Cung Le: You know, when we took this fight we knew that he had more to gain whether he won or lost because even if he did lose, which he did, he would gain experience. I thought he was controlling the fight pretty well, but at such a high level of fighting, it’s all about momentum. If the momentum changes and you can’t just switch it back on, then you’re going to lose the fight. Unforunately there were a few things like Johnson getting a little overexcitied with that knee, and Koscheck not closing his hand when he threw a jab. I think that he just got caught in the eye and the whole momentum changed. It is what it is, you know.

FiveOuncesofPain: Oh yeah, but does Anthony seem to be taking it pretty well, like a learning experience?

Cung Le: Actually he’s been taking it fantastic. It was on Sunday, just the next day, that he called me and said that he wanted to come back and start training on Monday, and I’m like, ‘Man, take a couple days off’. Of course he’s like, “Well I can come in and hold pads for the guys”, because there’s a couple of our guys with fights coming up, and I told him, ‘Just take the week off’. So he’s taking the week off and he’ll be back in on Monday.

FiveOuncesofPain: I know you guys are in separate weight classes and fighting for different promotions, but I’d love to hear your thoughts on Lyoto Machida? He seems to have a similar style to you in the aspect of taking little damage while dishing out a bunch?

Cung Le: I think his traditional background gives him a lot of different angles and a lot of tricks that a lot of other fighters aren’t really familiar with. I think he represents his style and mixed martial arts really well, and I think he’s a good champion.

FiveOuncesofPain: What were your thoughts on Jake Shields performance in his win over Mayhem?

Cung Le: I thought it was a good performance on the ground for Jake Shields. I thought “Mayhem” Miller had awesome defense against Shleds submissions, and I also thought that if there was ten more seconds in the third round that Jake Shields would have been asleep.

FiveOuncesofPain: Now I have to ask you; Jake Shields has been making statements that you have been ducking him in some way? What are your thoughts on those statements? Do you think he’s just trying to hype an eventual fight between you guys, or do you feel like there’s any bad blood there?

Cung Le: You know, it’s not the first time that guys like Jake Shields have used my name for publicity, and it’s not going to be the last. Jake and I come from different backgrounds. I’m more respectful due to my traditional roots in martial arts, and Jake has to promote himself the way he promotes himself. It doesn’t bother me at all. I have really thick skin and I’ve been through a lot so something that Jake says is not going to bother me at all to be honest. He’s the champion now but he has to use my name all the time, so ‘Thanks Jake’, for all of the free publicity. It doesn’t bother me at all. For me, whether you have the belt or not, you just have to have the championship attitude. I hope he understands how to promote himself better and has more of a champion’s attitude now that he’s the belt holder.

FiveOuncesofPain: And as far as you ducking him goes; If they were to offer you that fight on down the road, there’s no reason for you to turn down a fight against Jake Shields, correct?

Cung Le: Why would I? The worst that could hapen to me is if he takes me to the ground and submits me. But then the worst thing that could happen for him would be for him to run into my shin or some vicious strikes. The thing is that on the ground I can tap, but there’s no tapping when you’re standing up.

FiveOuncesofPain: Well I think it’s kind of apparent that Jake’s stand up isn’t exactly his strong point.

Cung Le: No. Mayhem got the better of the striking in their bout.

FiveOuncesofPain: I think that bout kind of showed what we’ve seen in the past from Shields in bouts with guys like Paul Daley. If the other guy is a better striker, he’s not going to invest a lot of time standing up with the him. And no disrespect to Jake, he’s a heck of a fighter, but he’s not what I’d consider to be a high level striker. In a fight with someone like you I fel like he’d have no choice but to rely on that one dimension; I guess it’s just a case of: Can Jake Shields get you to the ground? I feel like your takedown defense is really underrated, but at the same time we haven’t had a chance to see that much of it yet.

Cung Le: Yeah, you know, me and Jake sparred in practice and I landed a lot of kicks, and he took me to the ground a few times, but that’s practice, you know. In a fight it’s not going to be like everytime he shoots in he takes me down.

FiveOuncesofPain: Right, and you’re not exactly trying to kick him in the head as hard as you can during sparring by a longshot.

Cung Le: Yeah, I feel like a have really good control during sparring. A lot of the times the reason I’m being taken down is because I’m pulling my kicks to the head and they’re just running me down with my foot on their face and getting the takedown. If I let things go, I don’t think that the other fighters would have that much respect for me because they’re preparing for a fight too, and I don’t want to hurt anyone during training. Training is training, and when you’re in a fight, it’s a fight.

FiveOuncesofPain: Cool, thanks Cung, anyone you want to thank?

Cung Le: Yeah absolutely, I want to thank my promoter Scott Coker and my trainer Javier Mendez. I also want to thank all of my sponsors, Zebra Mats, ADX, Knox Fight Gear, BR Flooring and High Octane Energy. I also want to thank the Oush! Fight Team and Team AKA.

Feb 7, 2006
Rogério Nogueira Interview

Before debuting with a victory in the UFC, Rogério "Minotouro" answered the fans of TATAME and responded to the questions about his training, the dream of debuting in the UFC, his idols, childhood and much more. Check out the chat below that the TATAME subscribers had with him.

For being Minotauro's brother, do you think that that generates an extra responsibility in the world of MMA?

Of course it does, that's inevitable, but people have to understand that we are different people. I do my job, I have my style, he has his and I'm looking for my space.

What's the difference between Rodrigo Minotauro as a brother and as a training partner?

As a brother he's like a big dad, and as a training partner he's very rigorous.

What did you feel when you saw your brother going and returning to the hospital because of the accident as a child?

It sucked, it was very sad, a very delicate moment where nobody knew what was going to happen. It was a year of much anticipation, everyone's lives were on hold on account of that accident.

During your training when you're at your limit, what do you think about as motivation in order to break your own barriers?

You have to think about victory, think about what's the objective in your head to be able to go until the end.

What is the biggest difficulty for a fighter in Brasil? What must be done in order to change the current picture?

You've gotta make the sport more professional. We have to be professionals, the fighters have to take it serious. That is the big difference between Brasil and elsewhere, where they are very professional.

Before the fight, do you have some ritual or something special that you always do to go into the fight more confident?

I don't have anything specific, I just say a prayer with the guys there and I ask God to protect me and then I go fight.

In short answers, what do these mean to you:

Rodrigo Minotauro?

An idol.

Family?

Bedrock.

MMA?

Future.

Brasil?

Pride.

Fans?

A driving motivation.

How was it to represent Brasil in the 2007 Pan American games, and even taking a medal?

It was an honor because you dedicate yourself to an objective and to be able to reach a goal, like an olympic medal, is an honor for me, to train with my whole team from Brasil. It's very gratifying to be able to reach a goal like that.

Besides the necessity of having excellent physical conditioning and being well prepared in all aspects of the sport like Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Judo, among others, How relevant is the psychological and spiritual factor in the life of a fighter?

It's very important, there's people that don't take it very serious, but I find it very important to be close with your family, with everything, with yourself too to be able to have a good outcome.

How did it feel to perform professionally on Brazilian soil for the first time? Minotauro must have been a little envious, in the good sense of course.

It was really good, I felt really calm in a fight where I was at home, despite the responsibility of representing the guys, it's very good, it leaves me wanting more.

With the end of PRIDE many athletes that fought there tried to go to the UFC, once they couldn't get a contract they were just stopped and didn't fight, hoping that an opportunity fell from the sky, but differently, you went back to fighting, building a solid and internationally renown career, so much that now you are contracted by the UFC. How and when did you make that decision?

We received a good proposal, that's the plan, the objective of my career. I was able to build a good record outside of Brasil and be ranked among the top 5, which meant that I could get a good contract. It's an honor to be fighting in the UFC, but it was the fruit of well-planned hard work.

As a visitor to southern Brasil, what did you think of the quality of southern women?

Good, the South has lots of beautiful women.

As children, did you and Rodrigo used to fight a light with one another? If you did, what were the results?

Yes, we used to fight a lot. My brother had the upper hand, because he was always bigger (laughs).

You and Shogun had one of the biggest fights in the history of Pride, in which he took the decision. What do you think you should have done extra to have won that fight?

It's tough to say man. Shogun is a great fighter, a great champion and he was in the best stage of his career til today. He has his merits, at the end of the fight I tried to take his back... If I had finished the fight there at his back, I would have been able to change the story of the fight.

How is your training with your brother? Despite your training being a little 'confidential' who usually wins on ground, Wrestling, boxing and MMA?

It depends man, there's days where one trains better than the other, it varies. Sometimes one is more tired and the other has more gas, it depends a lot.

You have great fights and an important history in MMA. Is there any frustration for not having won the belt of the biggest MMA events like Pride and UFC?

I wouldn't say that it has become a frustration, but I think about it a lot. It's a dream that I have.

Who do you consider the number one of the heavyweights? Why?

Rodrigo, because of the history he's had during many years, he fought with the best, he won, putting on the most beautiful fights.

What do current fighters have to evolve in training, to be able to beat 'Matrix style' champions, like Anderson and Lyoto Machida?

It's complicated, you have to train a lot, study a lot. They are the guys that everybody has to study. In order to be the champion you have to train and study a lot.

Is there a fight where you 'choked', that you would like to do over?

I would like to have the fight with Shogun again.

What advice do you give to your students that are starting now and intend to follow fighting as a career?

First they should look for a good team, a good professor, to always be going to the training sessions and to train a lot, that's the formula.

What do you think of women's MMA? Do you think that the fight between Gina Carano and Cris Cyborg will some way help get the events to invest more in women's MMA?

It's different, people aren't accustomed to seeing fights between women, but that fight had a lot of impact, I think that it will help, yes.

Is there any fighter that you would never fight due to friendship, like the Spider says that he will not fight Machida?

My brother, Anderson, Feijão (Rafael Cavalcante) and the guys there.

In your opinion what are the best names to beat Anderson, Lyoto and Fedor?

That's a difficult question man. I can say, with regards to Fedor, I think that Rodrigo could beat him.

As a great fighter, talking about your Jiu-Jitsu, remembering the begining of your career, What are the main difficulties you faced, in relation to technique? Like have you felt some shortcoming in your Jiu-Jitsu? What was it? If you have, Were you able to get passed that shortcoming? Or do you still feel that you need to refine it more?

There are lots of techniques that could be better, still there are many difficulties, in Jiu-Jitsu and in other aspects, I'm always correcting myself, improving my weak points to be always evolving.

With your move to the US, how are you seeing the evolution of MMA there?

The guys are professionals, everything there turns into a big affair, the sport is very professional there, they got it and said 'now that will be a big sport', they are doing a lot of work, as well as the teams, not just inside the ring like elsewhere, they all evolved, the ring is bigger, everything is tougher and more professional.

What do you think of the northeastern fighters (in Brasil)?

There's a really good group, in Bahia, in Fortaleza there's some really badass guys as well, in Natal there's Tibau, theres Marco Aurélio, (Hermes) França, Pitbull, a lot of good people come from the northeast.

Now that you signed with the UFC to fight in the light-heavyweight division, which, according to the specialists, is the deepest one in MMA, your intention is evidently to fight for the title, and as so, who would be, today, your biggest opponents, and in your opinion will the title alternate between Brazilians for many years?

Now there are lots of good guys in that division, including Brazilians, that are showing their strength, like Thiago Silva, Lyoto, myself, there are a lot of strong guys in the division, the Americans as well, like Jardine, Evans, the category is very strong. I hope that the Brazilians dominate the division. God willing, it will happen.

Is the lesser utilization of striking in your last fight compared to some previous ones a response to the critics that you would be using your Jiu-Jitsu in less proportion?

It could be, as much as it is that I finished my fight in Brasil. If the fight goes to the ground and I feel the need to, I will use my Jiu-Jitsu, just like I used it in my last fight. Every fight is analyzed in some way, in some I prefer to stay standing and others to work on the ground.

Rogério, if you could imagine, what would be the fight of your life and who would it be?

I've never thought about it, but it's a good question. I'll have to think about

Feb 7, 2006
Radach Out, Lawler Awaits New Opponent for Dec. 19 Strikeforce

Benji Radach will not face off against Robbie Lawler in a featured middleweight bout at Strikeforce “Evolution” on Dec. 19 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Radach’s agent, Ken Pavia, said the fighter still hasn’t been medically cleared to begin training again following surgery on his right hand last April. Radach, 30, broke his hand in multiple places during his third-round loss to Scott Smith at Strikeforce “Shamrock vs. Diaz” on April 11. Pavia said Radach would be cleared “soon” to resume training, but didn’t give a specific timeline.

Lawler is still expected to compete on Dec. 19. Monte Cox, Lawler’s manager, said the promotion has not confirmed a new opponent for the heavy-handed fighter yet.

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told Sherdog.com Monday that Lawler’s adversary would be announced in the next couple of days.

Jake Shields submitted the 27-year-old Lawler in the first round of their headlining bout at Strikeforce “Lawler vs. Shields” on June 6 in St. Louis. Lawler, a UFC veteran and fan favorite, has won five of his last seven bouts (with one of those fights being ruled a no contest.)

The former EliteXC middleweight champion has three fights remaining on his contract with the promotion.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Cuts Middleweight Rosholt

Blue chip middleweight prospect Jake Rosholt was released by the UFC on Monday, a little more than a week after he submitted to a triangle choke from “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 3 winner Kendall Grove at UFC 106 “Ortiz vs. Griffin 2” in Las Vegas.

Despite the unexpected pink slip, Rosholt’s manager, Ted Ehrhardt, believes his future lies with the promotion.

“If you want to be a champion and make any kind of real money,” Ehrhardt said, “you have to be a champion in the UFC.”

Rosholt lost two of his three fights inside the Octagon, as he sandwiched a technical submission victory over Chris Leben between defeats to Grove and former International Fight League middleweight champion Dan Miller. Ehrhardt admitted his release came as a surprise.

“I didn’t think he’d be released,” Ehrhardt said. “He had one fight left on his contract, and we thought he’d at least get that. He had a good performance [against Grove] up until he got caught. He was winning the fight. He’s young. We’ll go out and get some wins and be back.”

A four-time collegiate All-American wrestler and three-time Div. I national champion at Oklahoma State University, the 27-year-old Rosholt remains one of the top middleweight prospects in the sport. Anchored at Xtreme Couture Mixed Martial Arts in Las Vegas, he figures to have plenty of suitors for his services.

“We’ll look to get some quick fights in, three or four fights in the first six months of the year, and then we’ll go back and talk with [UFC matchmaker] Joe [Silva],” Ehrhardt said. “We’ve got plenty of time. I think he’s going to be one of the top middleweights.”

Ehrhardt described Rosholt’s experience with UFC parent company Zuffa LLC -- which included one appearance in World Extreme Cagefighting -- as positive but believes the company made a mistake cutting loose one of its most talented young competitors.

“By the looks of it, they know how to run their business,” Ehrhardt said. “It’s not going to hurt us to go out and get four or five fights, some cage experience and a winning streak going.”

Feb 7, 2006
'Jacare' Coming to America

Widely considered one of the top three Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioners in history, Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza will export his unique brand of the Gentle Art stateside for the first time in a matter of weeks.

Souza, the only five-time open weight Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion, will meet Matt Lindland in a featured middleweight clash at Strikeforce “Evolution” on Dec. 19 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. A successful stateside debut against the 2000 Olympic silver medalist could thrust Souza into immediate contention for Jake Shields’ Strikeforce middleweight crown.

“Expect a great fight, not a wrestling, jiu-jitsu or grappling match, but a great MMA fight,” Souza said. “I’ll certainly try to use my jiu-jitsu to beat him, but I won’t forget that it is an MMA fight. My number one focus is winning the fight. Using my jiu-jitsu comes in second.”

Lindland -- a UFC veteran who has tested himself against some of the sport’s most accomplished stars, including Fedor Emelianenko and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson -- poses a unique set of problems. The 39-year-old, however, has not fought since his ugly knockout loss to Vitor Belfort in January.

“He’s a great fighter,” Souza said. “He’s an Olympic-caliber athlete and won an Olympic medal, as well as being a very experienced MMA fighter.”

Still, he seems unconcerned with Lindland’s wrestling prowess.

“I know that I’m not letting him get back up if it goes to the ground,” Souza said. “There’s only going to be one takedown. If he puts me on my back, I’ll sweep him.”

The match will mark not only Souza’s first appearance on American soul but his debut with the Strikeforce promotion, home to a middleweight division that includes Shields, former EliteXC middleweight titleholder Robbie Lawler and Cung Le, among others.

“Strikeforce made me a very good offer, and I’ve always wanted to fight in the U.S.,” Souza said. “Every fighter has to follow the great events, really. If you get a chance to fight for a great company and you’re well-paid to boot, you have to be happy.”

Souza, who has posted nine of his 10 victories by submission, professed confidence in his all-around skills, including his evolving stand-up game.

“I’m not going in there just to show I can strike,” Souza said. “My focus is being a great MMA fighter, which requires you to learn stand-up, especially since the fighters start on their feet. I’ll use what I’ve learned. I know he’s a southpaw. I know how I’m supposed to move. I know what strikes have the best chance of landing. I’m covering everything to ensure a great performance when it comes time to fight.”

Feb 7, 2006
Hughes Targets April 10 Return

Future UFC hall of famer Matt Hughes plans to return to the Octagon on April 10, nearly 11 months after he defeated arch nemesis Matt Serra in a showdown between “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 6 coaches.

The 37-year-old former welterweight champion called the April date “possible” in a blog post at matt-hughes.com but did not reveal any potential opponents.

One of the sport’s most decorated fighters, Hughes holds notable victories over reigning UFC welterweight king Georges St. Pierre, current UFC lightweight titleholder B.J. Penn, former UFC middleweight champion Dave Menne, UFC hall of famer Royce Grace, one-time UFC lightweight titleholder Sean Sherk and former UFC welterweight champion Carlos Newton, among others.

Hughes has two winning streaks of 13 fights or more on his resume and, according to fightmatrix.com, holds UFC records for most victories (16), most wins in title fights (9) and most consecutive title defenses (5). His 21 appearances inside the Octagon rank third to Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz.

A Hillsboro, Ill., native, Hughes has delivered 33 of his 43 career victories by knockout, technical knockout or submission.

Feb 7, 2006
Mike "Joker" Guymon vs. Rory MacDonald official for UFC Fight Night 20 prelims

A long-rumored bout between King of the Cage world and Canadian 155-pound champion Rory MacDonald (9-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and 170-pound KOTC title-holder Mike "Joker" Guymon (11-2-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is now official for UFC Fight Night 20.

The welterweight bout is slated for the night's un-aired preliminary card.

UFC Fight Night 20 takes place Jan. 11 at the Patriot Center on the campus of George Mason University in Fairfax, Va. The main card airs on Spike TV.

With Guymon vs. MacDonald on the preliminary card, the UFC Fight Night 20 main card has just three bouts rather than the traditional four. However, a source close to the show tells MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) a fourth bout (not from the preliminary card) will soon be finalized and added to the televised portion of the card.

Guymon enters the UFC with five consecutive wins via stoppage and a 9-1 record since 2004. The 10-year pro has averaged just one fight per nine months during his career, which also included a bout in the now-defunct International Fight League. His only losses have come to Diego Sanchez (2003) and Pat Healy (2007 via split decision), both of whom have competed in the UFC. He recently defeated Quinn Mulhern (8-0 at the time), Kyacey Uscola (16-13), Anthony Lapsley (14-3) and James Fanshier (15-8) to earn a UFC contract. None of the fights went to decision.

While most of the UFC Fight Night 20 bouts were announced earlier this month, a source close to Guymon told MMAjunkie.com the fighter just recently concluded his medical tests. With no problems detected, the bout with MacDonald is now official.

MacDonald, a four-year professional who's just 20 years old, has spent the majority of his career with KOTC, where he picked up the pair of titles. All nine of his wins have come via stoppage (five submissions and four knockouts), five in the first round. He most recently defeated former KOTC 205-pound champion Nick Hinchliffe (11-4 at the time) with a second-round knockout last month. That fight took place at 170 pounds, and MacDonald plans to remain in the welterweight division while with the UFC..

The latest official UFC Fight Night 20 card includes:

MAIN CARD

* Nate Diaz vs. Gray Maynard
* Evan Dunham vs. Efrain Escudero
* Tom Lawlor vs. Aaron Simpson

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Chris Leben vs. Jay Silva
* Jesse Lennox vs. Rick Story
* Nik Lentz vs. Jeremy Stephens
* Mike Guymon vs. Rory MacDonald
* Kyle Bradley vs. Rafael dos Anjos
* Tim Credeur vs. Mike Massenzio
* Nick Catone vs. Steve Steinbeiss

Feb 7, 2006
Massachusetts governor signs mixed martial arts bill, regulation on its way

Mixed martial arts regulation is finally coming to Massachusetts.

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick today signed into law a bill, versions of which were previously approved by the House and Senate, that calls for the Massachusetts State Boxing Commission to become the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission and oversee MMA events.

The move opens the door for the UFC to host a long-anticipated event in Boston.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) could not reach Massachusetts State Boxing Commission officials for clarification on the bill's final details. Massachusetts, for example, may allow individual locales to determine whether or not they want to host MMA events. It's also not known how quickly the state may be ready to begin its regulatory duties.

UFC president Dana White, though, immediately took to Twitter to express his pleasure over the coming state sanctioning.

"I am so excited," White stated. "Words cannot describe. ... [New York] is next!"

The bill allows the state to collect four percent of revenue from ticket sales and two percent from televised events. The governor's official approval of the bill was considered a given.

While a guest on MMAjunkie.com Radio earlier this month, White, a former Bostonian, said the UFC would "absolutely" makes its Boston debut in mid-2010, and he said shows at both Fenway Park and TD Garden (also known as the Boston Garden) are under consideration for the debut show.

Fenway Park, home to MLB's Boston Red Sox, opened in 1912 (with a series of renovations in recent years) and currently seats 37,000 for baseball games. The outdoor venue's seating configuration for an MMA event could fluctuate wildly. The Boston Garden, an indoor venue that is home to the NBA's Boston Celtics and NHL's Boston Bruins, has a maximum capacity of more than 19,000.

"We're not going to do one fight there (in Boston)," White said. "We'll be coming back. You've got Fenway Park and the Garden. It's awesome."

Massachusetts previously hosted MMA events until a recent ban went into effect. (Some shows, though, were still permitted in the state, though promoters had to regulate and hire the proper fight-night personnel for each event.)

Promoter/agent Joe Cavallaro and UFC veteran Kenny Florian were among those who recently campaigned for the new legislation with state officials.

The UFC aggressively targeted New York and Massachusetts this year when legislation was introduced to regulate MMA. New York is inching closer to a similar bill that could open the door for the UFC to host a show in New York City.

Feb 7, 2006
Amir Sadollah vs. Brad Blackburn likely to take UFC Fight Night 20 main-card slot

A welterweight bout between "The Ultimate Fighter 7" winner Amir Sadollah (2-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) and fellow welterweight Brad Blackburn (17-9-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) will likely take the final main-card slot at UFC Fight Night 20.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with a source close to the event that the bout, which was first reported as a possibility by Examiner.com's Newark blog, has been agreed upon but that bout agreements have not been signed.

UFC Fight Night 20 takes place Jan. 11 at the Patriot Center on the campus of George Mason University in Fairfax, Va. The main card airs on Spike TV.

(Sadollah, who was raised in Virginia, is an in-studio guest on today's edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio.)

The UFC on Monday officially added a long-rumored bout between UFC newcomers Mike "Joker" Guymon and Rory MacDonald to the card. However, the bout was added to the un-aired preliminary card, and the main card boasted just three bouts rather than the traditional four. MMAjunkie.com reported that a fourth bout – now believed to be Sadollah vs. Blackburn – would take the final TV spot.

After defeating C.B. Dollaway and emerging as the surprise winner of "TUF 8" in June 2008, Sadollah battled injuries and illness, which forced him out of competition for 14 months. He returned in August and suffered a first-round TKO loss to Johny Hendricks at UFC 101 but recently outlasted Phil Baroni for a unanimous decision win at UFC 106. He'll return to the octagon with less than a two-month layoff.

Blackburn, meanwhile, looks to improve his perfect UFC record when he meets Sadollah. The longtime IFL fighter has resurrected his career since a brutal 4-8 stretch from 2002 to 2007. He's now 5-0 (with one no-contest) over his past six bouts with UFC victories over James Giboo (TKO), Ryo Chonan (unanimous decision) and Edgar Garcia (split decision).

Blackburn, who recently signed a new four-fight deal with the UFC, has been sidelined following shoulder surgery in August.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 110 tickets for Sydney, Australia go on sale next week

Tickets for the Ultimate Fighting Championship's first-ever event in Australia go on sale beginning next week.

UFC 110 takes place Sunday, Feb. 21 at Acer Arena in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. With the time difference, the show will air on pay-per-view in the U.S. live on Saturday, Feb. 20.

Although there's been some confusion after the Australian version of UFC.com listed the show with a Feb. 22 event date, a UFC U.K. official confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) it was a typo and official announcement of UFC 110 should come this week.

Tickets for the upcoming show go on sale to the general public on Dec. 11 in Australia, though UFC Fight Club and UFC.com newsletter subscribers can order their tickets a few days prior.

The UFC's fan club members can purchase tickets beginning Dec. 7 at 9.a.m. AEDT (Dec. 6 at 5 p.m. ET) and newsletter subscribers on Dec. 9 at 1 p.m. AEDT (Dec. 8 at 9 p.m. ET).

The general public can then purchase tickets on Dec. 11 at 9 a.m. AEDT (Dec. 10 at 5 p.m. ET).

Although not officially announced, UFC 110 is expected to feature a headliner between heavyweights Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez, as well as Michael Bisping vs. Wanderlei Silva and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic vs. Ben Rothwell.

Feb 7, 2006
DIAZ WILL STILL FIGHT IN CALI, BUT FLORIDA ON TAP

Nick Diaz will not be deterred by the California State Athletic Commission’s formal stance on medical marijuana.

Diaz’s manager, Cesar Gracie, said Monday that his fighter would continue to fight in the Golden State, though perhaps not as often.

“Just when he gets licensed, he probably shouldn’t smoke,” said Gracie. “That’s my advice to him. If you’re going to fight, don’t smoke. Besides that, there are a lot of states in the country. He could go fight in Japan. He could fight wherever he wants.”

The CSAC recently said fighters with medical marijuana licenses would not be exempt from the commission’s policy on banned substances, in which marijuana is considered a “drug of abuse” and grounds for the denial of a fight license, fines, and/or suspension.

The commission argued that as California licensees the fighters were employees of the state and weren’t covered under the state’s Compassionate Use Act, which provides legal protection to people who use the drug to treat chronic ailments.

Gracie was unsurprised by the statement and said it was part of a patchwork effort to make the strictest rules possible.

“It’s almost like they’re picking and choosing,” he said. “It’s like, we’ll follow this commission here, but oh wait, they’re not stern enough, so we’re going to do this.”

Diaz was similarly apathetic about the ruling.

“He doesn’t give a (expletive),” said Gracie.

The 26-year-old fighter has been inseparable from the issue of pot and fighting due to several run-ins with state commissions over his admitted use of the drug, which he claims treats symptoms of his Attention Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).

Diaz was scheduled to take on Jay Hieron at Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg on Aug. 15 before being pulled from the card when he failed to appear at a pre-fight drug test. Gracie later said CSAC had changed their testing policy and Diaz wouldn’t have time to clear the drug from his system. He has been inactive since.

“Obviously, I’d love to have Nick fight in California,” said Gracie. “It’s right here in my home state. It’s not Virginia or something where Nathan (Diaz) is fighting. It’d be great if Nick could quit smoking all together, if he could do that, but if he doesn’t, he doesn’t.”

Gracie clarified that he didn’t advocate Diaz’s marijuana use.

“I would hope he could stop,” he said. “I can’t stop him. He’s an adult man.”

For the time being, the ruling has done little to hamper Diaz’s career. Gracie said his fighter “very well could be” fighting on the Strikeforce card planned for Jan. 30 in Sunrise, Fla. He declined to name Diaz’s opponent.

“What can you do, man?” Gracie said of the CSAC policy. “Rosa Parks wasn’t supposed to ride in the front of the bus. She was supposed to be in the back of that bus.

“Nick is the Rosa Parks of MMA,” he added with a laugh.