MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Newcomer Mackens Semerzier replaces injured Erik Koch on WEC 43 prelims

Mackens Semerzier (5-0 MMA, 0-0 WEC) has replaced injured fellow UFC newcomer Erik Koch (12-1 MMA, 2-0 WEC) and meets Wagnney Fabiano (12-1 MMA, 2-0 WEC) on the preliminary card of next month's WEC 43 event.

Semerzier announced the switch via Facebook, and The Northwest Times of Indiana confirmed the change with sources close to the WEC.

WEC 43 takes place Oct. 10 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, and features a main event of Donald Cerrone vs. Benson Henderson for the WEC's interim lightweight title.

The Semerzier vs. Fabiano bout has not been officially announced by the WEC, and the nature of Koch's injury wasn't immediately known.

Semerzier, a former Marine, brings a well-balanced fight game to the WEC. Currently training at the Linxx Academy in Virginia Beach, Va., and Torres Martial Arts Academy in Hammond, Ind., "The Menace" turned pro in 2007 and has posted stoppage victories in all five of his career wins (four via submission).

Fabiano, the final featherweight champion of the now-defunct International Fight League, most recently fought in April at WEC 40, where he topped fellow contender Fredson Paixao via unanimous decision. Aside from a split-decision loss to notable Jeff Curran in October 2006, the 33-year-old Fabiano has dominated the competition with nine stoppages (seven via submission) in his 12 career victories.

The full WEC 43 lineup includes:

MAIN CARD

* Donald Cerrone vs. Benson Henderson (for WEC interim lightweight title)
* Dave Jansen vs. Richard Crunkilton Jr.
* Will Campuzano vs. Damacio Page
* Rafael Assuncao vs. Yves Jabouin

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Muhsin Corbbrey vs. Anthony Njokuani
* Scott Jorgensen vs. Noah Thomas
* Wagnney Fabiano vs. Mackens Semerzier
* Manny Tapia vs. Eddie Wineland
* Charlie Valencia vs. Coty Wheeler
* Deividas Taurosevicius vs. Javier Vazquez

Feb 7, 2006
PALHARES VS. LINHARES AT UFC 107

Middleweights Rousimar Palhares and Lucio Linhares are expected to meet at UFC 107 on Dec. 12 in Memphis, Tenn.

Palhares (9-2) was originally scheduled to meet Alessio Sakara at The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale on Dec. 5 in Las Vegas, but a Monday report from Intheguard.tv said that native Italian Sakara was forced to withdraw from the fight after encountering visa problems.

Stepping into Sakara's place is M-1 regular Lucio Linhares, who will make his Octagon debut on the southern card. Linhares (13-4) fought last month at "Breakthrough," M-1's first major card stateside, where he submitted Mikhail Zayats in a cool minute. He is currently riding a five-fight win streak.

MMAWeekly.com sources said the bout was originally scheduled for the Dec. 5 card, but was recently moved to UFC 107. Verbal agreements are in place and the bout will be made official shortly.

Feb 7, 2006
Full "UFC 105: Couture vs. Vera" card announced, Johnson vs. Sobotta scrapped

A 10-bout lineup, including a five-fight main card, today was officially announced for November's UFC 105 event.

The Nov. 14 event takes place at the MEN Arena in Manchester, England, and airs via same-day delay on Spike TV in North America.

Randy Couture meets Brandon Vera in the night's main event, and Michael Bisping vs. Denis Kang, Dan Hardy vs. Mike Swick, and bouts with "The Ultimate Fighter 9" winners James Wilks and Ross Pearson are also part of the televised main card.

The Swick vs. Hardy bout is a late addition to the card. Swick filled in for an injured Dong Hyun Kim earlier this week, and the bout could now determine a No. 1 contender to fight current welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre in early 2010.

The headliner for "UFC 105: Couture vs. Vera" was also somewhat of a late booking. Initially, Michael Bisping was expected to get his title shot at the event, but those plans flamed out when he suffered a knockout loss to Dan Henderson in July. (Additionally, champ Anderson Silva is now out until early 2010 for what UFC president Dana White said will be minor elbow surgery). Then, a potential Bisping vs. Wanderlei Silva bout was scrapped when Silva, too, went under the knife.

While UFC newcomer Antonio Rogerio Nogueira was briefly considered for the headliner slot, UFC officials announced a couple weeks ago that Couture and Vera would instead take the spot and fight at light heavyweight.

Also worth noting is that a planned preliminary-card bout between "TUF 9" runner-up DaMarques Johnson and Peter Sobotta has been scrapped. A source close to the event told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Sobotta was forced off the card due to military commitments. (And Johnson will be shifted to a later card.)

The full and official UFC 105 lineup now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera
* Michael Bisping vs. Denis Kang
* Dan Hardy vs. Mike Swick
* Matt Brown vs. James Wilks
* Ross Pearson vs. Aaron Riley

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Terry Etim vs. Shannon Gugerty
* John Hathaway vs. Paul Taylor
* Nick Osipczak vs. Matthew Riddle
* Alexander Gustafsson vs. Jared Hamman
* Roli Delgado vs. Andre Winner

Feb 7, 2006
Herschel Walker challenges Dana White to fight, forgets to plug Strikeforce on ESPN2

To the casual sports fan, Herschel Walker's appearance on today's edition of "ESPN First Take" was probably a bit confusing.

On ESPN2's daily morning sports show, the 47-year-old NFL veteran championed mixed martial arts and made some boastful claims about his talent level – but forgot to mention a single time that he had been signed by Strikeforce.

Instead, the conversation mostly focused on the UFC and Walker's open challenge to fight company president Dana White.

Earlier this month Strikeforce announced that Walker, the 1982 Heisman Award winner, had been signed to the organization and would make his MMA debut as a heavyweight in early 2010. However, "ESPN First Take" host Jay Crawford never made mention of Strikeforce and simply said that Walker was making his "MMA" debut. The aspiring fighter never mentioned it either.

Sadly, it was a missed opportunity for Walker and Strikeforce to plug an organization that's built a lot of momentum in recent months with a new CBS deal, solid roster additions and a couple successful shows.

Instead, Walker focused on White's recent criticism of the signing, as well as "The Ultimate Fighter 10."

Walker said he had to give White and UFC co-owners Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta their "props" for bringing the sport "mainstream." But he said that while White may be able to evaluate fighters, the UFC executive can't do the same with general athletes.

Walker then made his biggest claim of the interview when talking about the current heavyweights-only season of "The Ultimate Fighter."

"I'll put dimes to donuts all the heavyweights on the show right now I will beat," Walker said of the cast, which includes a former IFL champion, three former UFC fighters, four NFL vets and Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson. "And that's pretty easy to say."

But the challenges didn't stop there.

"Dana always tells people to put their money where your mouth is," Walker said. "And I'll tell Dana that since he says I'm so old, why doesn't he step in the ring with me because he's been practicing (MMA), as well?"

Walker said all the money could go to charity, which he's doing with his Strikeforce fight purses. The funds go to Project Turn Around (also known as Alternative Community Development Services), a community-enrichment nonprofit organization.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC's Thiago Silva says he's ready for all challenges, including Rashad Evans

The stock of UFC light heavyweight slugger Thiago Silva (14-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) took a hit following a January knockout loss to current champion Lyoto Machida.

A streak of four-straight stoppage wins in the UFC came to a crashing halt as the Brazilian endured his first career defeat.

But with an impressive win over Keith Jardine at UFC 102 in August, many MMA fans are calling for Silva to continue to face the division's best opponents. Silva recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he feels the same.

"I studied Jardine very carefully, and I worked harder and smarter on my conditioning in preparation for that fight," Silva said. "My performance was the result of the hard work between all of the fighters and trainers at American Top Team.

"The help from the team is what propelled me to victory, and now I want to continue to show that I deserve to fight the best fighters in the division."

One of the names associated with Silva most frequently as of late is a possible showdown with Rashad Evans. "Sugar" is in need of an opponent following originally scheduled foe Quinton "Rampage" Jackson's decision to take an apparent break from the sport.

Silva said he couldn't comment on a potential winter matchup with Evans, currently rumored for UFC 108 on Jan. 2, but he did say that the former light heavyweight champion represents exactly the type of fight he hopes to schedule.

"Rashad is a former champion and a top-level fighter," Silva said. "I would love the opportunity to demonstrate that my skills are on that same level."

Silva said he will be ready for whatever the UFC presents, and that he has already returned to the gym full time.

"I don't know what the UFC will want from me next, but I am already back training," Silva said. "I will be ready when they call."

Should a bout with Evans prove the next step for Silva, a win would greatly improve his chances of again earning top-contender status in the UFC's light heavyweight division.

And while a shot at the belt is every fighter's goal, Silva wants nothing more than to fight the man that currently holds the belt.

"It's one of my main goals to fight Lyoto Machida again," Silva said. "That defeat hurt my soul."

In the meantime, Silva wants everyone to know he has learned from his loss and has returned to peak form.

"I would like to thank all my fans for sticking with me and rooting for me through the tough times." Silva said. "American Top Team has helped me tremendously, and I am back."

Feb 7, 2006
TIM SYLVIA HAS SURGERY, PLANS NEW YEAR'S RETURN

Former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia finally got back on track, defeating Jason Riley recently at Adrenaline MMA 4 in Council Bluffs, Iowa. But just as quickly, he was derailed.

Bouncing back from the first three-fight skid of his career, Sylvia broke his right hand in the fight with Riley, taking him out of a possible bout fighting in Dream’s new hexagon cage on Oct. 25 in Japan.

“He had surgery on his hand (Monday),” manager Monte Cox told MMAWeekly.com. The surgery went well, but Cox said that Sylvia probably wouldn’t return to action until “New Year’s.” A return bout, however, has not been contracted yet, but will likely take place in Japan.

The win over Riley righted Sylvia out of a tailspin that saw him lose four of his previous five fights, albeit mostly to top competition. Aside from a knockout at the hands of former world champion boxer Ray Mercer, Sylvia dropped bouts to Fedor Emelianenko, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, and Randy Couture, all Top 10 heavyweights.

Feb 7, 2006
MMA Quick Quote: Jay Hieron wants the Strikeforce belt — is Nick Diaz ready to step up?

“I really, really want my next fight to be for a title. I’ve worked my butt off and I feel I really deserve a title shot. That’s why I signed with Strikeforce to get a title shot. I could have went straight to the UFC. They were offering the same money, but at the end of the day, I wanted to pursue my dream of becoming a world champion and the quickest way to do that was Strikeforce. Like I said, I would like my next shot to be for the title; if not against Diaz, then against somebody else. I can’t wait for this guy nor can I control what he does. It is what it is man. I just want my title shot and what I signed with these guys for. I don’t want to keep fighting these non-title fights because that’s not what I came here for. I fought my last fight and I proved myself and now we have to sit at the table and see what’s going on. Hopefully Nick Diaz can get his shit together and we can get out there and mix it up. I think that’s a great fight, not just for me and him, but for the fans too.”

Feb 7, 2006
Brock Lesnar on Shane Carwin: ‘He hasn’t fought anybody’

The trash talking has officially begun with Brock Lesnar putting in his two cents on his upcoming bout versus Shane Carwin at UFC 106, which has been scheduled for November 21 from the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Carwin was first to voice his opinion of the Heavyweight champion, giving Lesnar a ton of criticism after his successful title defense against Frank Mir, back at UFC 100.

Shortly after Lesnar avenged his only defeat as a professional against Mir, Lesnar looked like he was back in the WWE with his post fight antics. Carwin, when asked his opinion on the matter, was quoted as saying, “I hate that he disrespected the greatest sporting fans in the world and I can’t wait to fight him. Really it comes down to respect and I do not think that he respects the sport or the fans of this sport. He may be well known, but fame does not equal respect.”

Initially staying quiet, Lesnar has finally put in his opinion on the upcoming challenger in a recent interview with the Las Vegas Sun, explaining, “He’s a tough guy. He’s undefeated, but some of the guys he’s beaten aren’t worthy of having on your record. He hasn’t fought anybody. He’s fought Gonzaga, so I really think he’s 1-0.”

Lesnar, a Division I champion at the University of Minnesota back in 2000, continued, “He’s a tough guy and a wrestler. But he’s a Division II national champion — enough said. I don’t know what he is, 11-0, 10-0, but he’ll have a loss against Brock Lesnar.”

Feb 7, 2006
Sengoku: Santiago waits for an opponent

Without fighting MMA since January, when he won his ninth victory in a roll, the Brazilian Jorge Santiago flew to Barcelona, Spain, to fight the ADCC, but he was eliminated on the first fight. “The invitation to ADCC came on the last week, but was part of my train, was really good to get the rhythm, some adrenaline, because I don’t fight since January“, said, talking with TATAME.com.

Back to the gym, focused on his next fight on the Japanese event, Jorge is excited. “I’ll go quickly to USA, because on November 7 I’ll defend my belt on Sengoku“, said Jorge. But he doesn’t know who’s gonna be his opponent yet. “I still don’t have a defined opponent. The first name that showed up was (Kazuo) Misaki, it would be a rematch, but they’re looking for another Japanese to fight with me. I’m waiting, training for anyone that shows up“, guarantees the champion.

Feb 7, 2006
Baroni vs. Sadollah and Davis vs. Saunders relegated to UFC 106 prelims

The UFC's November return to Las Vegas continues to take form, and the promotion today announced three preliminary card bouts for "UFC 106: Lesnar vs. Carwin."

Phil Baroni vs. Amir Sadollah, Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders and Jason Dent vs. George Sotiropoulos, all previously reported by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), were today officially added to the UFC 106 card.

UFC 106, featuring a heavyweight title fight between current champ Brock Lesnar and challenger Shane Carwin, takes place Nov. 21 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

An eight-time UFC veteran, Baroni (13-11 MMA, 3-5 UFC) seeks his first win in the octagon since a September 2002 knockout of Dave Menne. Baroni was released from the UFC in 2005 following four straight defeats and has since competed for Strikeforce, PRIDE, EliteXC and Cage Rage, among others.

Sadollah (1-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC), meanwhile, looks to rebound from a hotly contested 29-second TKO loss to Johny Hendricks at UFC 101. The disappointing defeat was Sadollah's first action since earning "The Ultimate Fighter 7" championship with a June 2008 win over C.B. Dollaway.

Davis (16-5 MMA, 8-3 UFC) looks to bounce back from a close split decision loss to Dan Hardy at June's UFC 99 event in Germany. The loss snapped a two-fight win streak for "The Irish Hand Grenade."

Meanwhile, Saunders (7-1-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) looks to rebound from a disappointing TKO loss to Mike Swick at the same UFC 99 card in June. The second-round defeat was the first loss of "Killa B's" career. The American Top Team product had secured seven straight victories after opening his career with back-to-back draws.

Dent (19-9 MMA, 1-2 UFC) fought for the UFC twice from 2006-2007 but was knocked out of the organization with losses to Gleison Tibau and Roger Huerta. After posting a 5-1 record in outside organizations, Dent was invited back into the UFC via season nine of "TUF." He defeated Robert Browning and Jeff Lawson to advance to the semifinals but was stopped by eventual show winner Ross Pearson and knocked out of the competition. However, a come-from-behind win over Cameron Dollar at the show's live finale earned him a UFC contract, anyway.

Sotiropoulos (10-2 MMA, 3-0 UFC), meanwhile, recently returned from a 16-month layoff and defeated George Roop via second-round submission at UFC 101. It was the Australian fighter's fourth straight victory overall and third straight in the UFC, which included stoppage wins over fellow cast member Billy Miles at The Ultimate Fighter 6 Finale and Roman Mitichyan at UFC Fight Night 16.

With the official additions to the card, UFC 106 now includes:

MAIN CARD

* Champ Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin (for UFC heavyweight title)
* Mark Coleman vs. Tito Ortiz
* Luiz Cane vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira*
* Ricardo Almeida vs. Jon Fitch*
* Dustin Hazelett vs. Karo Parisyan*

PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

* Phil Baroni vs. Amir Sadollah
* Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders
* Jason Dent vs. George Sotiropoulos

* - Not officially announced

Feb 7, 2006
CAN PAT BARRY DEFEAT HIS OLD TRAINING BUDDY?

UFC heavyweight Pat Barry learned the hard way that there’s no substitute for experience.

“It was very apparent that (grappling) wasn’t second nature to me,” the UFC heavyweight tells MMAWeekly.com. “In a (stand-up) fight, if I got stunned, I would naturally throw jabs on punches until I came back. I’m not a wrestler or jiu-jitsu guy so when I get stung... doing anything on the ground is not something that’s natural to me.”

Barry, a 30-year-old New Orleans native, head kicked opponent Tim Hague to the brink of unconsciousness in the opening minutes of their fight at UFC 98 in May. But Hague had been stunned before, and as a ground and pound artist, knew to take the path of least resistance. Ducking under Barry’s punches, he pitched forward and brought the action to the mat.

“Once we got to the ground, I knew what to do, but it took like 10 minutes for it to happen, and he didn’t wait for me,” said Barry, who succumbed to a guillotine choke after a fruitless struggle on the mat.

A veteran of K-1 and the World Combat League, Barry has worked day after day to bring his ground game up to speed, but admits there’s little to prepare him for the circumstances of a live fight.

On paper, his next fight at UFC 104 looks like the perfect opportunity to showcase his stock and trade. Opponent Antoni Hardonk has shown best on his feet, dealing out devastating punches and leg kicks. Against fighters with a strong grappling background, he’s withered.

It has all the makings of a stand-up war, if Barry weren’t absolutely convinced Hardonk is going take him down. Years of training with a guy will do that.

Beginning in 2006, Barry and Hardonk worked with kickboxing legend Ernesto Hoost’s team in Amsterdam. They were regular sparring partners and close friends.

“We had a lot in common,” said Barry. “(Antoni) understood my humor. We had a lot of the same views on life topics, on life issues, and the same views on training and how we should do it.”

When it came time to spar, though, Barry says he had the upper hand. In a battle of leg kicks, he says he won hands down. That’s why he’s so confident in his prediction.

“We both know that no matter how good of a kickboxer he is, he’s not gonna stand there with me for long,” said Barry. “His best chance of winning this fight is taking it to the ground. Everybody I get in the ring with, their best chance is to take it to the ground. To stand up and kickbox with me, is not a healthy or smart idea.

Barry says he isn’t digging on his old buddy – it’s just the reality of the circumstances they trained in. 

“When we were in the gym, we were only kickboxing,” he said. “My focus was on what I do all the time, whereas in practice, he was training in kickboxing, and dividing two thirds of his time between wrestling and jiu-jitsu. You shouldn’t really judge our time together because he was always an MMA guy and I was always a kickboxing guy.”

Barry sounds a little less sure of what will happen when the action hits the ground. Despite a year and a half of drills on the finer points of the ground game, he doesn’t have the live experience to make his reactions second nature. He’s at a deficit to Hardonk.

“Is my composure getting better in practice?” he said. “Absolutely. Now, what’s going to happen once I get in the cage? I don’t know. We’ll see.

“It’s like practicing scenarios for war and then getting thrown into the war.”

Feb 7, 2006
Jesse Taylor plans Nov. 6 return on main card of "Strikeforce Challengers" event

After a disappointing August debut for Strikeforce, former "The Ultimate Fighter 7" finalist Jesse Taylor (13-4) is apparently set for a return trip to the California-based promotion.

Taylor today posted on his Facebook account that he will return to action on the main card of Strikeforce's Nov. 6 "Challengers Series" event at Save Mart Center in Fresno, Calif.

Taylor did not reveal his opponent for the matchup, and Strikeforce officials weren't immediately available comment when contacted by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) for confirmation.

Taylor dropped a unanimous decision to Jay Hieron on the preliminary card of August's "Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg." Taylor took the bout on less-than-one-week's notice when Nick Diaz wasn't granted a license by the California State Athletic Commission for the bout with Hieron.

With Taylor's announcement, the Nov. 6 event – which is headlined by a bout between Billy Evangelista and Jorge Gurgel and precedes Strikeforce's Nov. 7 "Fedor vs. Rogers" card by just one day – now includes:

* Billy Evangelista vs. Jorge Gurgel
* Jesse Taylor vs. TBA*
* Ben Holscher vs. TBA
* Casey Olson vs. TBA
* Anthony Ruiz vs. TBA
* Cole Escovedo vs. TBA
* Zoila Frausto vs. TBA

Feb 7, 2006
Velasquez Breaks Down UFC Bout with Rothwell

videolink: http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent/Velasquez-Breaks-Down-UFC-Bout-with-Rothwell-2054
Cain Velasquez survived some scares against Cheick Kongo, but the American Kickboxing Academy prospect says that experience has made him a better fighter.

In this exclusive interview, Velazquez discusses his UFC 104 bout with Ben Rothwell and his disappointment that scheduled opponent Shane Carwin has been tabbed over him for a title shot against Brock Lesnar.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Prospect Duffee Contemplating West Coast Move

UFC heavyweight Todd Duffee is touring a number of MMA gyms in Las Vegas this week, as the 23-year-old was recently accepted into the University of Nevada-Las Vegas for its spring 2010 semester beginning in January.

Duffee, who gained attention for his seven-second knockout of Tim Hague at UFC 102 on Aug. 29 in Portland, Ore., said he booked the trip “on a whim” after receiving his acceptance letter late last week. He emphasized that his relationship with American Top Team, whom he trains with in Coconut Creek, Fla., remains strong.

Whether or not he answers the call of higher education, Duffee said he could very well return to ATT to launch his nine-week training camp in preparation for his bout with Paul Buentello at UFC 107 on Dec. 12 in Memphis, Tenn.

“There’s no reason for me not to go back to American Top Team,” said Duffee. “They’ve been nothing but great to me. They’re my team.”

Duffee said only his educational pursuits would necessitate migration to another camp. He meets with a UNLV advisor on Thursday to review his options.

On Monday, the undefeated 6-foot-3 heavyweight trained alongside friend Forrest Griffin at Xtreme Couture MMA and hopes to visit Wanderlei Silva’s gym, among others, during the week.

Juggling college and training is nothing new for Duffee. The Athens native said he’s already earned more than 100 credits toward an international business degree at the University of Georgia over the last three years. Duffee is now eying a move to broadcasting.

“I’m looking for something that could solidify me in MMA,” said Duffee. “I’d like to stay in the sport after my fighting days are over.”

Feb 7, 2006
Former Chute Boxe Trainer Helping Prepare Rogers for Fedor

Former Chute Boxe Academy striking trainer Sérgio Cunha has been enlisted to coach Brett Rogers in his Nov. 7 bid against the world’s No. 1 heavyweight, Fedor Emelianenko, at Strikeforce “Fedor vs. Rogers.”

Cunha has relocated to Minneapolis with his wife and children for three months to work with the undefeated Rogers. The muay Thai instructor is impressed with the progress thus far.

“I prepared an intense and special program for him using all the videos and information that I have about Fedor,” said Cunha. “I’m really impressed with how focused and professional Brett is. If he keeps training that way, he will reach the fight in great shape.”

Considered one of Brazil’s most profound striking coaches, Cunha helped spur on Mauricio “Shogun” Rua to his first-round knockout against former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell at UFC 97 last April. In the past he has also worked with Wanderlei Silva, Anderson Silva, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and B.J. Penn.

Cunha said the 28-year-old Rogers’ chances of besting the unflappable Emelianenko are much greater than most are thinking.

“I've known Fedor for a long time. He’s a complete fighter, but I can guarantee that Brett has a great chance of winning,” said Cunha. “Most people who see him think he is just a big guy who got lucky against (Andrei) Arlovski, but I can tell you people are wrong, because Rogers is a pretty complete fighter and very versatile for a heavyweight fighter. Fedor is the man to beat and that is motivating him a lot and also myself. One thing I can predict -- people will be surprised by Brett.”

Feb 7, 2006
Wanderlei: Anderson Would ‘Destroy’ Belfort

Wanderlei Silva has fought Vitor Belfort and trained with Anderson Silva. Should Anderson and Belfort meet in the next UFC middleweight title fight, Wanderlei has no doubt about the result.

“I believe Anderson would destroy Belfort,” he said. “I think it’s a very interesting fight. Belfort has good boxing skills and is a good athlete, but everybody knows that he has a weak psychological aspect and I think he will shake when he gets in the Octagon with (Silva).”

Added Wand ironically: “Let’s see if (Belfort) will put his new karate ... I mean old karate, new for him, in practice against Anderson.”

It’s been nearly 11 years since Belfort blitzed Wanderlei in 44 seconds at the UFC’s "Ultimate Brazil" event. Now that both men are in the UFC again, Wanderlei is certain the rematch will finally take place.

“Of course we will fight,” he said. “I want this fight too much. I believe the first one didn’t happen as I wanted. I was surprised, and it will not happen again now because I’m much more experienced. I’m not saying it will be now or later, but when it happens, I’ll prepare myself a lot to be in my best shape because he is a tough opponent, and I want to give the show everybody expects from me.”

While Wanderlei wants a fight with Belfort, his animosity toward Anderson has ended. The former Chute Boxe teammates, who took aim at each other publicly when Wanderlei announced his intention to move to the 185-pound division, met backstage at UFC 102 and mended fences.

“We met and talked,” Wanderlei said. "It was a big misunderstanding and it was solved the way men have to solve any problem: talking face to face. Anderson is a great guy, and we finally put a period on that story."

Feb 7, 2006
Tachi Palace Fights adds Joe Soto vs. Mike Christensen at debut event on Oct. 8

The soon-to-debut Tachi Palace Fights organization recently announced that undefeated Bellator featherweight champ Joe Soto (7-0) would appear on its first-ever card on Oct. 8 in Lemoore, Calif.

Now organization officials have found an opponent for "The Hammer."

Soto meets Californian prospect Mike Christensen (4-0) on the evening's main card, which takes place outdoors at Tachi Palace Hotel & Casino.

Soto has been on a break since earning Bellator's first-ever tournament title with wins over Yahir Reyes, Wilson Reis and Ben Greer. The 22-year-old is undefeated in seven contests since turning pro in 2006. Six of Soto's seven wins have come by stoppage.

A two-time Gladiator Challenge and two-time Rebel Fighters veteran, Christensen will be fighting on the biggest stage of his young career. Christensen has earned two of his four career wins by stoppage.

After a successful five-year run by the WEC in Lemoore between 2001 and 2006, Palace Fighting Championship ran several well-attended mixed martial arts and hybrid events at Tachi Palace Hotel & Casino between 2007 and 2009.

PFC promoter Christian Printup recently halted that organization's operations, and Tachi Palace elected to create its own promotion rather than partner with an existing organization.

The new organization will be regulated by the California State Athletic Commission despite the event taking place on Tribal land. The new organization will also utilize five-minute rounds instead of the three-minute frames utilized by the PFC.

Tickets for Tachi Palace Fights' first event run from $20 to $95 and can be purchased at Tickets.com.

The evening's full card currently includes:

* Mike Joy (7-4) vs. Chad Mendes (4-0)
* War Machine (10-2) vs. David Mitchell (7-0)
* Mike Christensen (4-0) vs. Joe Soto (7-0)
* Phil Collins (7-4) vs. Leopoldo Serao (15-7)
* Ulysses Gomez (3-1) vs. Martin Sandoval (4-1)
* Poppies Martinez (16-5) vs. TBA
* Mike Martinez (4-2) vs. Kenny McCorkell (4-0)
* Tito Jones (6-3) vs. Michael McDonald (7-1)
* Jessica Rakoczy (0-0) vs. TBA
* Chris Tangonan (2-0) vs. Francisco Loredo (3-5)