MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
TUF 11 tryouts set for Oct. 26 from Los Angeles; Likely to include WW and MW divisions

Tryouts for the The Ultimate Fighter Season 11 will be taking place from Los Angeles, California on October 26.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has recently confirmed the news through sources close to the upcoming casting call.

While no announcement has been made in regards to the potential weight classes being featured on TUF 11, FiveOuncesOfPain.com has also been able to confirm that fighters trying out for the upcoming telecast normally compete in the middleweight and welterweight divisions. Making a scenario where TUF 11 would possibly feature both the 170, and 185 pound weight classes a very probable one

Feb 7, 2006
Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic: ‘I haven’t decided that this is the end’

In a week of retirements and semi firings from the UFC, it appears now, Mirko “CroCop” Filipovic has changed his mind about quitting MMA.

The former Pride champion spoke with Croation newspaper Slobodna Dalmacija, and said he thinks he will honor his final two bouts remaining on his current UFC contract, “Often things can get on top of you but I cannot say that I don’t love this sport. It’s hard for me to decide now but I think that I will do these last two fights for UFC. This thing is stronger than me. Sometimes the mind says yes but the heart says no.”

After suffering a third round loss to Junior Dos Santos at UFC 103, by way of verbal submission, it seemed the Croatian fighter was all but done with mixed martial arts. He was quoted after the fight as saying he didn’t have the hunger anymore, and his storied career was apparently coming to end. It was also reported by Nokaut.com that his training partners were to disband because they were no longer needed, and all accounts it looked like Filipovic was done after his third run in the UFC.

But after the interview with the Croatian newspaper it appears the once feared fighter is not ready after all, “Take for example, when a man spends 30 years in prison, you let him out; he robs a store and takes only a pack of cigarettes, just to be returned to prison because they can not live outside. This is my fear. The problem is that my way of life is saturated with this military discipline, which does not allow for such things as Christmas or New Year holidays. Training is never a problem – I think I missed five or six sessions in my entire life and never just because I couldn’t be bothered.”

With the majority of his life being a fighter, it comes as no surprise that Filipovic it not ready to quit yet. He has entertained the thought more than a few times, but has always found his way back to the ring. The way Mirko tells it, it will be his decision alone when he hangs it up, “I thank everyone for their support, for watching and following me, but I hate that I am expected to answer to people,” he said about retirement. “This is my decision. My blood, my sweat, my tears – as such I don’t owe anybody anything. The day I say I won’t do it anymore I’ll stick to my word. But I still haven’t said that and I haven’t decided that this is the end. I know I must rest well and decide.”

Feb 7, 2006
Sherdog Prospect Watch: Chris Weidman

Chris Weidman aims to introduce himself to the world this weekend in Barcelona, Spain, where he will compete in the Abu Dhabi Submission Wrestling World Championships as a Brazilian jiu-jitsu purple belt.

The 25-year-old Baldwin, N.Y., native qualified for the prestigious competition after only eight months of formal jiu-jitsu training, having submitted James Brasco -- who captured a Brazilian jiu-jitsu world championship as a brown belt in 2007 -- to win the ADCC East Coast Trials in June. Though he faces an uphill climb against some of the world’s most accomplished black belts, Weidman has designs on upsetting the apple cart.

“I expect to win,” said Weidman, who will compete at 87.9 kilograms (192 pounds). “I know I’ve trained really hard, and I’m confident I can win. I’m going to leave it all out there.”

Groomed by former UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra and respected striking coach Ray Longo, Weidman showed a surprising aptitude for submissions early in his development. Within three months, he had won his first Grappler’s Quest tournament -- in his weight class and the absolute division -- and submitted all 13 of his opponents. The ADCC tournament, held once every two years, represents a significant step up.

“I’m real excited,” Weidman said. “I get to go out and display everything I’ve been working on. It’s a big opportunity. I’m going to be on the stage with big UFC stars and will see where I fit in, with grappling at least. I really want to see where I’m at competitively. I’ve wrestled my whole life. I want to see where I stand with the top guys in the world.”

A four-time collegiate wrestling All-American at Nassau Community College and Hofstra University, Weidman defeated “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 8 light heavyweight winner Ryan Bader as a senior. He tried out for the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, only to have a rib injury interrupt those plans. Instead, Weidman turned his attention to mixed martial arts and drew upon his roots.

“I think the day-in and day-out grind of wrestling got me physically and mentally prepared,” Weidman said. “I’ve been at the top of a sport. I know what it takes to get there. Developing that strength and your mental skills is a huge part of MMA.”

So far, the transition has been seamless. Weidman debuted with a keylock submission victory against Reubem Lopes at Ring of Combat 23 in February. Two months later, he stopped Mike Stewart on first-round punches under the same promotional umbrella.

“I thought they went good,” Weidman said. “I was happy with them. The first one ended in a submission. The second ended by TKO, so I got to use my hands and show my game was well-rounded.”

Though he has not yet had contact with a major promotion, Weidman and his handlers believe the call could come soon, especially if he performs well in Barcelona.

“I’ve only had two fights,” he said. “I’m still flying under the radar, but I feel like I can definitely compete at that level [in the UFC]. I also know that it’s smart for me to get a few wins under my belt [in smaller promotions]. Talent-wise, I’m right there.”

His confidence appears grounded and well-founded. Longo, who has trained and cornered fighters for more than two decades, likes what he sees from Weidman, who serves as an instructor at his gym in Garden City, N.Y.

“He’s a good listener and has a great work ethic,” Longo said. “Chris is a quick study, picks upon things quickly. His pedigree in wrestling, his background, his drive and burning desire to win is why I think he’ll succeed in MMA.”

Weidman recognizes the value in training and learning under proven veterans like Serra and Longo -- one a former UFC titleholder, the other his right-hand man. Experience cannot be priced.

“They’ve been there before,” Weidman said. “They’ve been in all the competitions. I look forward to learning more from them. Matt’s been a world champion, and Ray’s been a top trainer for years.”

Once he fulfills his commitment to the ADCC world championships, Weidman will again switch gears to his fledgling MMA career. Married one year ago, he and his wife are expecting their first child in March. There can be no better motivation.

“My short-term goal is to win my next fight and get into the bigger promotions and bigger money fights,” Weidman said. “My goal long-term is to become a UFC champion.”

He enjoys the mental challenges the sport presents on a fight-by-fight basis.

“There are so many different aspects to the sport,” Weidman said. “You can’t just be a dumb guy doing MMA. There’s such a huge mental part of the game, as well as physical.”

His combat sports aspirations notwithstanding, Weidman continues to pursue a Master’s degree in Physical Education at Hofstra University. A scholar and an athlete, he admits he never dreamed his career path would lead him into a cage, where men bleed and sweat in order to hammer out and honest living.

“I definitely did not see myself as a fighter,” he said. “Ten years ago, I wanted to be a professional hockey player. Five years ago, I didn’t know what I wanted to be. I definitely didn’t see myself as an MMA guy.”

Feb 7, 2006
Kennedy says Cummings presents a more difficult task than Santos could have

Strikeforce middleweight Tim Kennedy (10-2) was originally expected to meet Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos on the main event of tonight's "Strikeforce Challengers" event in Bixby, Okla.

An injury forced Santos out of the contest, and undefeated prospect Zak Cummings (10-0) was willing to fill the role.

While some MMA observers feel the new bout may result in a bit of a walkover for Kennedy, the Army veteran recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) he feels Cummings presents a variety of challenges that make him even more dangerous than Santos.

"Fighting a guy that's not as good that has a way bigger name recognition is a way better fight than fighting a guy that's super-good and doesn't have any name recognition," Kennedy said. "'Cyborg' was a great fight. I was really looking forward to the matchup.

"Stylistically, it's a really good matchup for me, and he has a great name. His wife is the female champion of the world. It's real easy publicity. It would have been really good to get recognition to a lot of the stuff I represent, and I think it was an easier fight for me."

While much of the world has seen little of Cummings, Kennedy is familiar with his new foe and believes the bout is anything but a showcase.

"Now I'm fighting Zak Cummings, a guy that not very many people know but is very dangerous," Kennedy said. "He's undefeated for a reason. Fighting Terry Martin and taking him the distance in a very tough fight (in February), you've definitely got to, in my position, be like, 'Oh, bummer. I definitely would have liked 'Cyborg.'

"But, as the chips went down, I'm going to fight who they put in front of me, and Zak Cummings is the guy."

Kennedy fought for the first time in 18 months in a June win over Nick Thompson. Now in his second bout for Strikeforce, Kennedy finds himself in the evening's main event.

Kennedy said while he's honored to be featured in the evening's main event, the most important aspect of the slot for him is bringing greater awareness to the U.S. Army through his longtime relationship with the military branch.

"I'm excited to represent the military and my brothers and sisters in uniform," Kennedy said. "Anything I can do to bring recognition to the non-profits that I represent – some of my sponsors that are very military oriented – anything I can do for them is a huge win for me.

"I just love to fight, and I love that the military is giving me an opportunity to fight. Whether I'm headlining or I'm the undercard, I just want to fight the best guys."

And Kennedy believes Cummings fits that description.

"Zak Cummings is amazing," Kennedy said. "Guy's undefeated. He's 10-0, he's a southpaw, he's a fantastic wrestler, great kickboxer and wrestler.

"I'm more excited about the competition I'm getting to face rather than my placement on the card. Of course I'm grateful fro Strikeforce putting me in a big publicized position. Hopefully I'll go out there and give them what they want."

Another win for Kennedy would certainly earn him some consideration for a spot on some of Strikeforce's bigger events. But for now, Kennedy said he's focused on the opportunity, and the challenge, at hand.

"As long as I'm fighting quality opponents, I'm not going to be the guy that's like, 'Hey, man, I deserve to be on this or on that,'" Kennedy said. "I want to fight quality opponents. I want to represent my supporters and sponsors professionally and with a certain amount of dignity. Whether I'm on CBS, Spike, Versus, pay-per-view, I think my performance is the thing that's the most important.

"Of course, anywhere that they put me that I can get more recognition, I would love to. But the most important thing for me is fighting the quality competition. I'd be excited for them to put me on a bigger card, but being the main event on Showtime, that's an opportunity. I'm not going to let it pass."

Feb 7, 2006
ESCUDERO HAPPY TO SHOW HIS HANDS IN UFC WIN

There is always a huge amount of pressure on anyone who has won “The Ultimate Fighter" reality show, but when Efrain Escudero stepped into the Octagon at UFC 103 last Saturday night he had a whole new level of intensity to work through.

Escudero drew arguably one of the toughest opponents any Ultimate Fighter winner has drawn in his first fight out. He matched up with American Top Team fighter Cole Miller, who held a 4-1 UFC record heading into their bout.

What happened in the end was Escudero slamming Miller with a punch in the first round that dropped the Georgia native, which he quickly followed up with strikes on the ground for the win, and proved that he can run with the very stacked lightweight division.

"It felt really good getting out there and performing" Escudero told MMAWeekly.com after the fight and a nine-month layoff since his last time in the UFC. "I've been training a lot. It's been a while since I've been in the Octagon, but after this long break I felt ready. I felt in the best shape of my life."

Dealing with a flu bug and a fever led to Escudero struggling to make weight before the fight against Miller, but none of that showed as the Arizona based fighter made the most of his return.

"The plan was to stay away from his submissions, stay away from his triangle and armbar, and the rest was wherever it goes, you can dominate," he commented about his performance.

With the win, Escudero moved to 13-0 as a professional, while also garnering a large amount of respect from critics who always seem to doubt the winners of the reality show. Mixing his wrestling and stand-up, Escudero hopes to continue his undefeated run, and has added an extra element of dynamite following the win over Miller.

"Now people can start realizing I've got knockout power in my hands, and I'm going to keep raining on them, keep getting better and better every day."

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
holy shit Overeem won!!!!!! hahaha war mma!

Dec. First round was close, 2nd Overeem landed more, 3rd he beat the shit out of Aerts. He had him wobbled a couple of times.

Melvin lost a decision to Remy which was a great fight, Manhoef held his own the whole time and I thought it should've went to an extension round at 29-29

Feb 7, 2006
Tim Kennedy impressive again in Strikeforce main event win over Zak Cummings

BIXBY, Okla. – Appearing in his second "Strikeforce Challengers" bout in three months, Army veteran and middleweight Tim Kennedy (11-2) proved he's ready to move on to the organization's big shows.

Kennedy showed a relentless attack as he cruised to a second-round submission win over formerly undefeated prospect Zak Cummings (10-1).

The bout served as the main event of Friday's Showtime-broadcast "Strikeforce Challengers: Kennedy vs. Cummings" event at SpiritBank Event Center in Bixby, Okla., just outside of Tulsa.

Kennedy picked up where he left off in a June win over Nick Thompson, overpowering Cummings with powerful wrestling and crushing strikes from top position. Cummings proved a game opponent, rolling to avoid blows and submission while absorbing punishment from the top.

It simply delayed the inevitable.

After closing a dominant first round, Kennedy came out aggressive again in the second, leaping to a standing guillotine choke that forced Cummings to scramble. When he did, it was into an even deeper north-south choke. Kennedy squeezed tight, and despite Cummings valiant efforts, he was forced to submit.

The win was Kennedy's third-straight, and pushed him to 2-0 for Strikeforce. Cummings loses for just the first time in his career.

Sefo wins by default; Woodley remains undefeated

Heavyweight Ray Sefo (2-0) walked away with his second career MMA victory in as many attempts, but don't search for his win over Kevin Jordan (11-8) on any upcoming "Sugarfoot" highlight tapes.

After opening the bout with two powerful low kicks, Sefo quickly found himself on the floor. And while the initial transition saw Sefo comfortable on top, Jordan quickly transitioned to top, then mount, leaving the former K-1 champion on the verge of defeat.

Jordan's inability to deliver the finishing blows as Sefo simply covered up would cost him as the second round unfolded.

Jordan shot in on a telegraphed takedown attempt, and Sefo defended well. But as Sefo looked to reset his attack, Jordan remained on the floor. Clutching his leg, Jordan tried to return to his feet. Sefo offered a bit of attack, but it quickly became apparent that Jordan's right knee would no longet support his frame.

Just 24 seconds into the second round, the finish was announced as a verbal submission. The injury was the sole reason for the end, and Jordan was assisted from the cage.

The bout was Sefo's first MMA fight since 2005, while Jordan dropped to 1-2 in 2009.

While welterweight Zach Light's (6-9) record won't necessarily wow anyone on first glance, a quick look at the quality of fighters he's faced shows the grit he brings to the cage. Fast-rising prospect Tyron Woodley (4-0) rendered that toughness irrelevant.

Maintaining the fast-paced onslaught that has become his trademark, Woodley looked fast on his feet but even faster (and more powerful) in his takedown attempts. Tossing Light to the floor at will, Woodley dominated position as he looked repeatedly for a fight-ending arm-triangle choke.

Woodley secured the hold on three separate occasions, but his tendency to stay in knee-on-belly position appeared to give Light the space he needed to remain in the contest. Despite the challenges with the choke, Woodley transitioned into an even-better armbar.

Light appeared to briefly tap, though the referee gave him the benefit of the doubt. Woodley torqued, and a second, more certain tap came at 3:38 of the second frame.

Woodley remains undefeated through four impressive performances to open his career, while Light has now dropped four straight contests.

Longacre wins in thriller, Cormier victorious in debut

While Thomas Longacre (5-0) and Travis Calanoc (4-1) weren't among the most-discussed fighters entering Friday night's card, their performances in the cage may ensure they're considered a bit more highly in future appearances.

Longacre and Calanoc stood toe-to-toe in an entertaining kickboxing affair for the majority of their 15 minutes in the cage, making only the briefest of trips to the mat. Longacre used a mix of punches and kicks at various levels to keep his opponent guessing, while Calanoc scored several big knees that turned the tide of the bout when needed.

The action rarely slowed, and the crowd in attendance was on their feet throughout the contest. Neither fighter was ever in any real danger, but it was the constant attack of Longacre that separated him in the judges eyes.

In a bout that was closer and more entertaining than the score would indicate, Longacre took a unanimous decision, earning a clean sweep on all three judges' cards while remaining undefeated in his first five contests. Calanoc drops the first fight of his career, though there was little shame in the effort.

Former Olympic wrestler Daniel Cormier (1-0) entered his professional debut with a seemingly predictable gameplan. But while Cormier's ground game was undoubtedly effective, the 30-year-old was also unafraid to stand and trade hands with opponent Gary Frazier (0-1).

The strategy appeared a bit dangerous in the early going, and Frazier was able to sneak in a few stiff shots on the feet while literally running away from Cormier's shots. But the American Kickboxing Academy-trained fighter stood firm in the pocket and measured his opponent well.

After wearing his opponent down in spots on the ground, Cormier looked to end the bout in the second. A missed Frazier knee left him vulnerable as he slipped to the floor, and Cormier pounced. A barrage of shots followed on the ground, and while the damage wasn't overly effective, the non-stop nature of the blows forced the stoppage at the 3:39 mark of the second frame.

The former Oklahoma State Cowboy wrestler earned the victory in his professional debut, much to the delight of the pro-Cormier crowd.

Sitzes wows, Bradley dominates in prelim features

As is often the case, the lone female fight of the evening turned into a show-stealer.

In a contrast of styles, Jeri Sitzes (4-1) used a powerful striking game to punish her opponent, while Lacey Schuckman (2-1) looked to utilize her grappling prowess to gain an advantage on the floor. Shuckman looked sharp early, but she appeared to lose steam after clutching firmly onto a missed guillotine choke, and the momentum took a decided turn.

Sitzes began to find range for her punches in the second, and Schuckman's face showed the wear. Despite the damage, Schuckman continued to fight valiantly into the final frame, but Sitzes speed and power quickly became too much to handle. Sitzes opened with a barrage of punches that forced the stoppage at the 2:18 mark and brought the prelims to an end with the crowd on their feet.

Former "The Ultimate Fighter 7" cast member Paul Bradley (11-1) used a familiar recipe to dominate Tulsa native Levi Avera (12-6) for 15 minutes.

Bradley worked jabs briefly on the feet, but it was a constant barrage of takedown attempts and ground and pound that left Avera unable to answer from his back. Avera tried to stall on the bottom, but Bradley stayed busy enough throughout the affair to secure a one-sided unanimous decision win.

The victory was Bradley's first since suffering the lone loss of his professional career, while the defeat snapped a two-fight win streak for Avera.

Houston, Giddens impress; Pulsifer, Smith earn quick stoppages

Despite having just one prior professional contest, middleweight Trey Houston (2-0) looked utterly dominant in his bout with Brandon Gaines (4-11).

Gaines missed on judo tosses in both the first and second rounds, and Houston used the gaffes to gain dominant position and control the action throughout the bout. Gaines showed heart by fending off choke attempts and a ground-and-pound attack, but the offense was coming solely from Houston.

A scramble in the second left Houston with an opportunity to lock in the arm-triangle choke. It wasn't the cleanest choke, but Houston wrenched the hold and powered Gaines into submission at the 1:28 mark of the second round.

Tulsa natives Kenny Giddens (9-5) and Jon Carson (7-2) each received a warm reception from the gathered crowd, but the action in the cage turned out a bit more one-sided than the welcome.

Giddens kept his opponent off-balance with a constant attack of snapping low kicks and stiff jabs on the feet, and Carson never looked comfortable in the cage. Carson survived the first round, but his hesitance would cost him in the second.

After Giddens landed a few stiff shots to the head inside, Carson looked for a takedown. He shot directly into a D'arce choke, and the hold proved secure. Carson tried to roll out to no avail, tapping with 45 seconds left in the second frame.

In a matchup of two Oklahoma products, Josh Pulsifer (12-4) offered little regard for his opponent's previously undefeated record.

Pulsifer scored an early takedown of Nick Gibbons (13-1), and set up quickly in half-mount. Gibbons tried to slide out from underneath his opponent, but Pulsifer locked in a D'arce choke and forced the tap just 65 seconds after the bout began.

In the evening's first contest, Oklahoman Dillon Smith (2-0) waste little time in his attack on Lemont Davis (2-4).

After Davis tries a few initial low kicks, Smith secured a trip takedown, worked to mount, and locked in a rear-naked choke, forcing the tap. The entire process took just 75 seconds.

OFFICIAL RESULTS

* Tim Kennedy def. Zak Cummings via submission (north-south choke) - Round 2, 2:43
* Ray Sefo def. Kevin Jordan via TKO (injury) - Round 2, 0:24
* Tyron Woodley def. Zach Light via submission (armbar) - Round 2, 3:38
* Thomas Longacre def. Travis Calanoc via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
* Daniel Cormier def. Gary Frazier via TKO (punches) - Round 2, 3:39

PRELIMINARY CARD RESULTS

* Jeri Sitzes def. Lacey Schuckman via TKO (punches) - Round 3, 2:18
* Paul Bradley def. Levi Avera via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
* Trey Houston def. Brandon Gaines via submission (arm-triangle choke) - Round 2, 1:28
* Kenny Giddens def. Jon Carson via submission (D'arce choke) - Round 2, 4:15
* Josh Pulsifer def. Nick Gibbons via submission (D'arce choke) - Round 1, 1:05
* Dillon Smith def. Lemont Davis via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 1:15

Feb 7, 2006

Dec. First round was close, 2nd Overeem landed more, 3rd he beat the shit out of Aerts. He had him wobbled a couple of times.

Melvin lost a decision to Remy which was a great fight, Manhoef held his own the whole time and I thought it should've went to an extension round at 29-29
This is the first time in peter's career that he does not make it to the next round.
Melvin did good can't wit for his next MMA match.

Feb 7, 2006
WEC vet Mike Campbell looks to rebound in tonight's WCF 8 main event

Returning to his home in the Northeast and hoping to rebound from back-to-back losses in World Extreme Cagefighting, Mike Campbell tonight headlines World Championship Fighting's latest card.

Campbell (6-2) takes on Mike Medrano (4-3) at WCF 8, which takes place at the Shriner's Auditorium in Wilmington, Mass.

As Campbell this week told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio), fighting for the WCF, which is one of the sport's most successful regional promotions, gives him a chance at redemption.

The hard-hitting Campbell began his pro fighting stint in 2006. After opening his career with a split-decision win, Campbell posted five consecutive stoppage victories due to strikes (including a four-second KO win in his third fight) to earn a contract with the WEC.

However, once on the big stage, the lightweight fighter suffered first-round stoppage losses to notables Danillo Villefort at WEC 38 and Anthony Pettis at WEC 41. The back-to-back defeats proved a hard pill to swallow. But it could have been worse.

"If I brought my A game that day and I lost the fight, I think mentally and emotionally it would have affected me a little more," said Campbell, who's also a competitive power-lifter. "The thing is, I got frustrated in both fights. I negated my game plans, and that's my fault. ... I think you just have to take the losses as a learning lesson.

"I'm not here to be a weekend warrior. I know I should have fought better. I know I should have had a better performance. Hopefully I can do that [tonight]."

For Campbell, when it came time to get back on track, he knew exactly where he wanted to go.

Since its launch in 2007, the WCF has proved one of the most consistently successful organizations anywhere in the country. Run by MMA agent and promoter Joe Cavallaro, the WCF often draws sold-out crowd with a long list of celebrity attendees; fighters such as Kenny Florian, Joe Lauzon, Marcus Davis and Jorge Rivera are frequent guests.

Tonight's special attendee is former EliteXC headliner and "The Ultimate Fighter 10" cast member Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson.

"I think the WCF has the best promotion in New England right now," said Campbell, who fought for the WCF once before the WEC contract was offered. "I truly believe it. I asked Joe if he could set me up a fight in his organization. He didn't call me. I really wanted to fight for his organization. I really like it. They treat the fighters well. It's a very well-run show and well-run promotion."

Campbell said doesn't know a whole lot about his opponent, but he thinks Medrano is making a mistake if he plans to stand and trade.

"He's going to bring a lot of power," Campbell said. "He played Division I football, so he's going to be pretty athletic. I think he's going to bring it. You have two guys ready to engage. In the past, if you have guys who are willing to exchange with me, it doesn't end up too well in their favor."

Campbell knows his feature-attraction fight could determine his future in the sport and whether it'll be on the big stage or back with the regional promotions. But he's determined to fight the best fighters for the top organizations and to settle for nothing less.

Where did he learn that mentality?

"I learned that from my mother," he said. "If I ever started something, I always had to finish it. She instilled that in me."

Feb 7, 2006
"TUF" semifinalists Jason Dent and George Sotiropoulos set for UFC 106 bout

A lightweight bout between former contestants of "The Ultimate Fighter" is slated for UFC 106 with season nine's Jason Dent (19-9 MMA, 1-2 UFC) set to take on season six's George Sotiropoulos (10-2 MMA, 3-0 UFC).

Bout agreements recently were signed by both competitors, sources close to the event told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

UFC 106 takes place Nov. 21 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The main card, including a headliner between UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and undefeated contender Shane Carwin, airs live on pay per view.

The Dent vs. Sotiropoulos fight will be part of the night's un-aired preliminary card.

Dent, an Ohio-based fighter, fought for the UFC twice from 2006-2007 but was knocked out of the organization with losses to Gleison Tibau and Roger Huerta. (Neither fighter, though, was able to finish Dent.) After posting a 5-1 record in outside organizations, Dent was invited back into the UFC via season nine of "TUF." He defeated Robert Browning and Jeff Lawson to advance to the semifinals but was stopped by eventual show winner Ross Pearson and knocked out of the competition. However, a come-from-behind win over Cameron Dollar at the show's live finale earned him a UFC contract, anyway.

Sotiropoulos, meanwhile, recently returned from a 16-month layoff and defeated George Roop via second-round submission at UFC 101. It was the Australian fighter's fourth straight victory overall and third straight in the UFC, which included stoppage wins over fellow cast member Billy Miles at The Ultimate Fighter 6 Finale and Roman Mitichyan at UFC Fight Night 16.

The latest UFC 106 card now includes:

* Champ Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin (for UFC heavyweight title)
* Mark Coleman vs. Tito Ortiz
* Luiz Cane vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira*
* Ricardo Almeida vs. Jon Fitch*
* Dustin Hazelett vs. Karo Parisyan*
* Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders*
* Phil Baroni vs. Amir Sadollah*
* Jason Dent vs. George Sotiropoulos*

* - Not officially announced

Feb 7, 2006
BELLATOR CHAMP LOMBARD BACK IN ACTION

Bellator Fighting Championships has cleared middleweight champion Hector Lombard for a return to action in his home country when he faces UFC veteran Kalib Starnes at Cage Fighting Championship Oct. 9 in Queensland, Australia.

Lombard, a 31 year-old native of Matanzas, Cuba, recently returned to the US after an extended vacation in his adopted hometown of Sydney to begin training.

Like much of his professional career, Lombard served a busy schedule in 2009, signing with the upstart Bellator to dominate a tournament of 185lb. fighters and win the promotion's title in June.

"He's been chomping at the bit to get back into action," said Dan Lambert, Lombard's manager at American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Fla.

Lombard gained traction early in his career with CFC, winning the middleweight title in 2007 and defending it four times before being shipped overseas to Bellator.

Starnes, 34, returned to action last November with a win over Chris Cisneros at Destiny MMA in Hawaii. It was "The Ultimate Fighter" alum's first fight since a highly controversial performance against Nate Quarry. Starnes broke his foot in the early part of the UFC 83 fight and spent much of it backpedaling from the advancing Quarry, a course that drew frenzied boos from the crowd and led the UFC to release him from his contract.

Feb 7, 2006
Thiago Silva wants Rashad: “I’m ready”

The knock out over Keith Jardine on UFC 102 made Thiago Silva satisfied, but he wants more. With one more victory by knock out on his record, the American Top Team product doesn’t think about resting on 2009. Looking for another fight, Thiago wants to take advantage of Quinton “Rampage“ Jackson’s retirement.

“If doesn’t happens the fight between Rashad (Evans) and Rampage, that would be good for me. I want to fight with top athletes and I’m ready. Alex (Davis) is managing the stuff, trying to make this fight happen“, revealed Thiago, talking with TATAME.com. The rumors about the possibility came after the Rashad’s interview to FanHouse, saying that Thiago was a great fighter and that he’d like the face him. Agreeing with the American, Thiago believes that their styles makes a good match up.

“It would be a show, a very movement fight. We’re two aggressive fighters, it’ll be a good fight, the game matches… I want to fight with the bests and show my work to be close to a title shot“, said the Brazilian, agreeing with the former champion. "Thiago Silva is a good fighter, I'd like to fight him and I think he wants to fight me. I think I match up really well with Thiago Silva," Evans said. "He's a great striker, and I love his focus. He's going to be a challenge, and that's the kind of fight I want".

May 17, 2004

negative props for overeem for coming out to the black eyed peas