MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
UFC 87: JON FITCH DISCUSSES LOSS TO ST. PIERRE

by Ken Pishna

As much as Anderson Silva has run roughshod over the UFC middleweight division, Canadian warrior Georges St. Pierre has done nearly as much at welterweight. That only goes to further embolden Jon Fitch’s performance against St. Pierre at UFC 87 this past Saturday night.

He came up on the losing end of a unanimous decision, but Fitch, the No. 2 ranked welterweight in the world to St. Pierre’s No. 1 ranking, proved his toughness. He also showed how he was able to rack up a record-tying 8-0 undefeated streak in the UFC prior to the loss to St. Pierre.

Asked if he felt he proved that he deserved to be considered among the best in the world, Fitch told MMAWeekly.com, “I hope so. You know, if I haven’t proved enough to people in the last eight wins, they really don’t know anything about this sport and aren’t really fans of the sport.”

He thought he had the strategy to beat St. Pierre. "The biggest strategy with Georges was to stay in his face and never really sit still and never really let him get off first. I've seen a lot of fights where people sit and wait for him and with his speed you can't do that."

That strategy may have worked if not for the unexpected speed that the UFC welterweight champion possesses.

"It took all of the first round to adjust to how fast he is,” said Fitch, “and by that time he had hit me so many times in the left eye that I couldn't really see him. He's a great champ.

“I knew he was fast, but not that fast.”

Despite his eye swelling shut early in the fight, Fitch laid his heart out in the Octagon and never backed down. In fact, as the fight wore on, Fitch opened a cut over St. Pierre’s left eye, giving him hope that he could still pull out the win.

“I caught him with a nice knee at the end of the third or the beginning of the fourth… kept throwing right hands trying to hit that cut, see if I could open it up more.”

But it wasn’t to be and St. Pierre continued his dominance of the 170-pound division with a strong unanimous decision victory. Still, Fitch takes some positive reinforcement from the fight.

“The biggest thing is I didn’t get tired,” said the somber challenger to MMAWeekly.com. “I was in there for five rounds throwing down with the best guy in the world and I had more rounds left in me.”

Jul 24, 2005
Lesnar answers questions, raises more

By Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports

A week ago, Brock Lesnar had his back against the wall.

In his third pro mixed martial arts fight, and his first to pass the 90-second mark, Lesnar shut down 11-year pro Heath Herring at Saturday’s UFC 87 in Minneapolis.

The former NCAA wrestling champion dominated Herring in such a fashion that public opinion shifted from thinking he was a novelty act to wondering who can handle someone with his size, power and overall athleticism.

Lesnar sent Herring head-over-heels with a right hand in the opening seconds but mainly fought a conservative fight in winning a one-sided decision. In doing so, he answered some of the many questions about him as an MMA fighter.

Guys of Lesnar’s size and physique are usually stereotyped as lacking the stamina to hang at the championship level. Lesnar was known for his conditioning as a wrestler at the University of Minnesota, but that was eight years ago. Saturday, he proved he could go the distance and also showed major strategic improvements over his first fight, as he kept himself under control and made no major mistakes over three rounds.

He may not have the best punching technique, but he has freakish power in his punches. He can use his wrestling skill to control an experienced fighter; physically, he is able to manhandle anyone but a top-level wrestler.

The big question, whether he can take a punch, remains unanswered. But if he can take people down at will, it may be some time before he has to answer it. It’s to his benefit to keep that question from being asked for as long as possible.

As impressive as Lesnar looked athletically, MMA is a game of styles. He may be the best wrestler in the division, but that’s not a lock.

Cain Velasquez is six years younger, and while never an NCAA champion, he took Lesnar’s training partner, 2006 NCAA champ Cole Konrad, to the limit, losing a criteria decision, in that year’s tournament.

On paper, a good kickboxer who can avoid Lesnar’s takedowns would give him trouble, but there’s nobody on the UFC roster that readily fits that description.

The top tier of UFC heavyweights, champ Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and the next three contenders, Frank Mir, Fabricio Werdum (who will get a shot at the Nogueira-Mir winner likely in early 2009) and former top contender Gabriel Gonzaga would relish the opportunity to be taken down by Lesnar and try to counter his power with their jiu-jitsu skills.

ADVERTISEMENT

If Lesnar learns submission avoidance well enough to stymie their offense and has confidence in that ability, none of the current top four would have a chance to beat him. But all would be dangerous opponents. One would think Lesnar wouldn’t be put in with any of them for the next several months. Gonzaga is a bad match to book from a risk-reward basis because he has little upside after losses to Randy Couture and Werdum and could knock Lesnar down a peg when he’s being built.

There may be people who can stop Lesnar’s takedowns in the UFC, but those four aren’t it.

Emphasis on 265

With his performance, Lesnar has suddenly put more focus on the UFC’s heavyweight division since Randy Couture left the company last year.

For much of the company’s recent history, the division has been second-rate. In the early part of the decade, most of the top heavyweight talent was in Japan’s PRIDE group. Things appeared to change last year. UFC was rolling in money from the windfall of some huge pay-per-view shows in 2006. PRIDE was in the process of going down for the count after losing its television exposure in Japan.

UFC signed Nogueira and Mirko Cro Cop, generally considered the second and third best heavyweights in the world at the time. Then, the division got a boost when Couture, one of the company’s most popular fighters at the time, beat Tim Sylvia for the championship.

But with Cro Cop, Couture, Sylvia and former champ Andrei Arlovski leaving, the heavyweight division quickly became UFC’s weakest class, and gave rival Affliction the opening to have the best heavyweight lineup.

Lesnar (2-1) is one of three former college wrestling standouts being primed as the division’s future, along with Velasquez (3-0) and Shane Carwin (9-0). It will likely be a year before any of them is put in title contention, and MMA is unpredictable enough that it’s possible none will pan out, although the law of averages is in favor of at least one of the three becoming a major star.

Since Velasquez handily dispatched Jake O’Brien on July 19, UFC is having problems finding suitable opponents. He has no match scheduled at the present time. The problem is that he still doesn’t have a recognizable name, so for a well-known opponent, there’s no upside to winning.

While insiders are already talking about a potential Velasquez-Lesnar match, it’s doubtful it would be made any time soon because it makes little sense until Velasquez gets more of a name.

If both continue to win, the fight could determine who is the future of the division. Lesnar, a 280-pounder who cuts to 265, would go in with 40-45 pounds on Velasquez, who weighed 235 without having to cut in his last outing. Still, Velasquez routinely dispatched bigger men in the sport of wrestling, which is where Lesnar’s strengths lie. Velasquez appears to have adapted more quickly than Lesnar to the stand-up game and jiu-jitsu, and his stamina in the gym is legendary, even though he’s never had to show it in competition.

Carwin has the most fights, but is actually the one with the most question marks. Coming off a 44-second knockout win over Christian Wellisch in his UFC debut May 24, he has bulldozed through every opponent. Before fighting Wellisch, Carwin’s game plan was simple.

The 1999 Division II heavyweight champion at Western State College in Colorado would explode at the bell, take his opponent down and destroy him with some of the fiercest ground and pound in the division. The longest match of his career lasted 2:11.

It’s an impressive resume, and of the three, Carwin is the most shark-like when he smells blood. But he faces the same questions that faced Lesnar a week ago. How is his stamina? And can he take a punch? Like Lesnar, he’s got natural power in his punches, as the Wellisch knockout showed, and which is evident in his ground and pound. But he has yet to face the level of opponent that would allow you to fully judge his UFC potential. His toughest opponent so far was 310-pound former Arena Football League lineman Rex Richards, who got the same treatment as everyone who has crossed Carwin’s path.

Carwin is the only one of the three who has a future match lined up. He’ll face Neil Wain, a British heavyweight with a similar record. Wain is 4-0, all four fights ending via first-round knockout or TKO, on the Oct. 18 show in Birmingham, England.

Where Lesnar goes next will likely be determined over the next few weeks.

Mark Coleman, Lesnar’s original opponent for Saturday night’s match until he suffered a torn MCL in training in late May, is healthy, but apparently not pushing hard for the fight.

Cheick Kongo, who knocked out Dan Evensen on Saturday, is Lesnar’s most likely next opponent, although no negotiations have started.

If it happens, Kongo (22-5-1) can win if he stays on his feet. But Kongo was out-wrestled by a smaller Carmello Marrero two years ago, and the Kongo of that day would have no chance against Lesnar unless Lesnar beats himself. Kongo has shown better wrestling since that time, but whether it’s enough to stay upright against Lesnar is a different story.

Jul 24, 2005
Q&A with MMA fighter-turned-actor Randy Couture

Randy Couture isn't used to having people root against him. During his 10-year career in the UFC the man nicknamed "The Natural" and "Captain America" has been one of the biggest fan favorites in mixed martial arts. It's one of the reasons Couture took on the role of Sargon, the villain in The Scorpion King 2: Rise Of A Warrior, which is being released on DVD Aug. 19 and is the prequel to the 2002 film The Scorpian King starring Dwyane "The Rock" Johnson.

"It's odd but I like it, that's why I did this," said Couture, who is still the UFC heavyweight champion despite resigning from the company while filming the movie in South Africa last year. "I could take the little fight roles with my eyes closed but I was interested in doing more interesting characters and doing stuff that wasn't just me."

I recently caught up with Couture to talk about his acting career, his ongoing battle with the UFC and the chances of him stepping into the ring with Fedor Emelianenko by the end of the year.

SI.com: You've done some acting before in mostly bit parts, but this is your first lead role in a film. How did that come about and how did you prepare for the part?

Couture: I originally read for a much smaller role but I then got to read Sargon. A lead character in a Universal picture was really exciting for me. I was excited to get the opportunity to move up. I felt like I got stronger as we went along. Getting dressed up in the costumes and being on the set and learning to swing the big axe around helped to put me in the right frame of mind. At some level you have to find that character inside yourself. I've been around mean, nasty people plenty of times in my life and seen that first hand, so somewhere you have to find it inside yourself to relate to the character and hopefully that allows you to tell the truth to a certain degree and stay true to the role.

SI.com: Did you channel any of the opponents you've faced in the Octagon to get in character?

Couture: Nobody specifically. I had an idea of the story and an idea of the character and what he would do and I would just try to visualize and imagine myself as that person.

SI.com: I would imagine you were able to take some of the physical skills you learned in the Octagon onto the set, but do you think you'll take any of this villain character with you when you get back in the ring? Maybe you could become a bad guy like Sgt. Slaughter was for a little bit back in the day.

Couture: No, I don't think so. I definitely see the transfer from the physicality of fighting into films and having a physical presence in the movie with the fight scenes and swinging the weapons around. I'd probably have a leg up in that regard. I don't know that it will transfer back the other way. Being in front of the camera and commentating during the Ultimate Fighter made me feel comfortable. I don't get nervous about that sort of thing at all. As long as I get into the character and know my lines, I feel pretty comfortable acting and doing it in front of anybody. I don't think I'll take anything from the movie back with me the other way. Unfortunately, they don't let me swing an axe around in the Octagon.

SI.com: What did you think when you saw the movie poster? I know it was a lead role, but you're front and center and the only name on this thing.

Couture: That was really cool. It was interesting to see that they fixed my ears. I thought that was interesting. They're probably sending me a message. If I want to get bigger and better character parts I probably need think about cleaning up the ears and straightening the nose.

SI.com: You resigned from the UFC while you were filming. How did that come about?

Couture: I was in South Africa and resigned on October 11 and left my employment contract and relinquished the heavyweight title at that point. I heard that Fedor didn't sign with UFC but signed with a different organization and I had made it clear to Zuffa that the Fedor fight was the one fight that I wanted to make happen. So aside from the other differences that we had, that was the most important thing to me so that's what I'm trying to purse at this point. It wasn't as easy decision. It was something I deliberated over for a while.

SI.com: Where do you think you stand right now in terms of your MMA career?

Couture: Well, the language in [my UFC] contract is pretty clear. It's 18 months or four fights and the 18 months expired on July 19, so we're in a 30-day grace period for negotiating or re-negotiating with the UFC. If they find a way to make the Fedor fight happen, I'll be all over it, but I don't really see that happening realistically. The non-compete clause expires on Oct. 10, a year from when I resigned, and so I'll be able to go back to work commentating and working with the other promotions and getting back into the business of MMA.

SI.com: How anxious are you to get this over with and just continue with your career, whether it be with Affliction, HDNet or elsewhere?

Couture: At times it's frustrating but for the most part things work out the way they're supposed to work out. If it's supposed to be settled it will be settled. My entire life has been that way. Things have a tendency to work out exactly the way they're supposed to work out so I just have to be pat

SI.com: You were at the Affliction show where Fedor beat Tim Sylvia in 36 seconds. You went the distance with Sylvia to win the UFC heavyweight title last year. How surprised were you with how dominant Fedor was?

Couture: Well, yeah, obviously I didn't beat Sylvia in 36 seconds. I did have a flashback when he knocked him down and got on his back. I was like, oh this looks oddly familiar. He was able to finish the choke and get the tap. He was very impressive. He's very explosive and very quick and once he had Tim hurt he jumped on him fast. So, I'm excited to see how I do. I think it looks good. Sooner or later we're going to make it happen. In some way, shape or form, in some production somewhere. I know there are obviously a lot of people that would be interested in participating in that fight, the UFC included. We'll see how it all pans out. I'm confident we'll get it done.

SI.com: Another one of the problems you had with the UFC was the compensation that the fighters get in relation to the record-breaking gates and pay-per-view buys that have made them the dominant MMA organization. Do you ever see that divide getting resolved?

Couture: I think its one of the main issues in our sport. We aren't compensated the way other professional athletes are in other sports. We are in a sport that is very, very popular and bringing in a lot of money. The fact that the UFC made $250 million last year and they paid out probably $17 million to all the fighters that fought in all the pay-per-views, that's an issue in my mind. I think there are some other issues like independent rankings, regardless of promotion or production, and loosening up the exclusivity so that the top fighters can fight each other regardless of what promotion they're signed with. That's a huge issue for me because otherwise we risk being fragmented like boxing where everybody is claiming to have the world champion. I think and am hopeful that WAMMA (World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts) is able to pull the fighters together and create some of these things that we need as a sport.

SI.com: Tito Ortiz has also brought up the problems he has with the compensation that fighters get. Do you think having guys like you and Tito leave the UFC and talk about this will make them change their ways?

Couture: The UFC at some point will see the wisdom. I think right now the UFC sees themselves as the tip of the spear and a lot of ways rightly so. They have done a lot of things to get the sport to where it is and now it seems to them a lot of people are trying to cash in on the hard work that they've put in, but as fighters we need that competition, we need other options, we need other places we can go and fight and continue to make a living. If you can't get a fair shake from the UFC maybe one of the other organizations wants to see you compete and put you on their card. That's only going to continue to force people to pay fighters better for what they do. I think it all works out in the end. I agree with a lot of the things Tito [Ortiz] has told Dana [White]. Obviously he and Dana have a long-standing personal history and some of the valid points Tito makes get lost in the gray matter in the personal dialogue between the two of them, but I agree with a lot of the things he says.

SI.com: How much longer would you want to fight? Would this possible Fedor fight be your last fight?

Couture: I don't know. I can't place a limit on myself. I entered this thing 11 years ago taking it one fight at a time and its gotten me this far. I'm just going to take this thing one fight at a time and evaluate my performance and training and how I feel physically as I go along. Could there be more? I certainly hope there's more because I love to fight, but I'm just going to look to make the Fedor fight happen and then we'll evaluate how that goes and how I feel and what all the options are after and see what happens.

SI.com: One of your good friends, Quentin "Rampage" Jackson, was hospitalized for a mental health evaluation after being arrested on charges of felony evading, reckless driving and hit-and run last month. Have you talked to him since the incident?

Couture: I haven't talked to him and I was very surprised about that whole thing. I want to be as supportive as I can for him. At the same time I know he has a lot of people clamoring over him and on him and I want to give him his space. I think he knows that there are a few of us here that will be here for him regardless of what happens. We'll always support him and we have his back. I just hope everything turns out well and we get him on the right path and healthy and fighting again because at heart he's a warrior.

SI.com: Finally, you've been on a book tour for your autobiography, Becoming the Natural. How is that going and how has the book done so far?

Couture: It's been interesting. It wasn't something I really planned; it was just an opportunity that came along. It's doing well. I just got word that it's the No. 8 autobiography on the market right now in all genres. I guess we're just ahead of Tiger Woods. I'm sure I can't beat him at golf but maybe I can in this endeavor.

Feb 7, 2006
Tara LaRosa and Bobby Lashley booked for American Fight League's PPV debut

Within the next couple months, the American Fight League will attempt to find a success in a place most MMA organizations haven't: pay per view.

The Kentucky-based organization, which garnered some headlines earlier this summer with the signings of notable free agents such as top female fighter Tara LaRosa and former World Wrestling Entertainment star Bobby Lashley, will makes it PPV debut this fall, and the fight card is starting to take shape.

AFL Director of Public Relations Sean McClure today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the organization is close to an official event announcement.

"We've determined a date, and a location is being finalized," McClure said. "We'll announce the details very soon."

AFL officials previously stated an October date was likely, but with the UFC, EliteXC, Affliction and Adrenaline MMA booking major shows that month, the AFL event may be bumped back till November.

McClure said the PPV fight card will feature many of the organization's biggest names, including LaRosa, Lashley, UFC veteran and AFL lightweight champ Diego Saraiva, welterweight champ Brent Weedman, middleweight champ George Lockhardt and possibly former UFC fighter Dan Christison.

Free agents such as John Alessio and Mike Van Arsdale are also rumored options, assuming deals can be worked out with the AFL, though McClure would not confirm any ongoing negotiations with the UFC veterans.

To date the AFL has hosted two major events: one at the University of Kentucky's Rupp Arena in March and one at Atlanta's Phillips Arena in May. The organization will also host its "A Salute to the Troops" event in Columbus, Ga., on Sept. 26.

The AFL has not yet revealed the fee for the PPV event.

Feb 7, 2006
Exclusive: Fedor on Couture Bout
videolink: http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent/Exclusive-Fedor-on-Couture-Bout-1738
Are Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) and Randy Couture (Pictures) joining forces for a common cause?

Sherdog.com News Editor Loretta Hunt spoke exclusively with the world's most sought-after free agent to get his take on a potential Couture fight in or out of the Octagon, his Affliction experience, and just when Emelianenko will be back in action following the hand injury he sustained in his 36-second smashing of Tim Sylvia (Pictures) on July 19.

Feb 7, 2006
JIM MILLER VS DAVID BARON AT UFC 89

Two new additions to the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s lightweight roster will square off at UFC 89 in Birmingham, England as Jim Miller is set to do battle with David Baron, as confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources close to the fight.

Both Miller and Baron just recently signed with the UFC and this should be a fast-paced fight between two of the brightest rising stars in the sport.

Jim Miller almost had his UFC debut earlier this year in a bout against Marcus Aurelio, but his existing contract with the now defunct International Fight League (IFL) prevented the move.

Now Miller steps in to face David Baron, another top fighter brought in from abroad by the UFC to expand its international talent pool.

Baron most recently competed in May when he submitted former top welterweight and lightweight fighter Hayato “Mach” Sakurai in Shooto. The former Pride fighter also has a win over current UFC welterweight Dan Hardy.

UFC 89 is headlined by local star Michael Bisping against Chris Leben in the main event.

Feb 7, 2006
Babalu to fight … Southworth?

Renato “Babalu” Sobral may be a very busy man over the next couple of months. Sources have confirmed that Babalu is set to face Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Bobby Southworth on Saturday, September 20.

The September 20th date is only three weeks prior to the second Affliction show where Babalu is supposed to be facing Tito Ortiz.

It’ll be very interesting if both organizations are willing to let Sobral fight on two different shows so close together. While Sobral would be a heavy favorite against Southworth, he could be forced to go five rounds with the Strikeforce light heavyweight champion.

Plus, based on all accounts, the Affliction show would pay Sobral substantitally more. Sobral also has publicly stated the the match-up with Ortiz is his “dream fight”. However, for Strikeforce to be willing to announce the fight, I would think they would feel very positive that it will take place. The other possibility is that negotiations between Ortiz and Affliction have fallen off. This could be a very interesting situation over the next few months.

Feb 7, 2006
Tim Kennedy planning to leave Armed Forces and pursue full-time MMA career

While not yet a household name in mixed martial arts, middleweight Tim Kennedy has all the tools needed to go far in the sport.

Despite an impressive 9-2 record with notable victories over Jason “Mayhem” Miller, Dante Rivera, Ryan McGivern, and Hector Urbina, Kennedy has yet to breakthrough into the sport’s upper-echelon at 185 pounds.

The issue for Kennedy has been that since 2001, he has competed in just 11 pro bouts. His part-time fight schedule can be directly attributed to the fact that he’s Staff Sargent with the United States Army.

But things could be about to change for Kennedy, as the Army Times is reporting that Kennedy plans to go on terminal leave in the fall and eventually leave the Army. His enlistment ends on Jan. 5.

Kennedy apparently considered re-enlisting but the article indicates his bosses at Special Operations Command are currently preventing him from competing in civilian MMA fights. After five years in the military, Kennedy was put in a position where he has to make a choice.

Kennedy’s decision is notable because after compiling a perfect 3-0 record in the IFL, he is considered one of the top unsigned talents in this sport. A tremendous all-around fighting talent, Kennedy also comes with a backstory that would make any promoter drool.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has spoken to several sources with top major MMA promotions in recent months that have confirmed their interest in Kennedy. Once they hear that he is going to pursue MMA on a full-time basis, their interest level is likely only to increase.

Feb 7, 2006
5 Oz. Exclusive: Lyman Good expected to sign six-fight contract with EliteXC

With Elite Xtreme Combat expected to promote four shows between Sept. 20 and Oct. 20, it has had the promotion’s fight team working overtime coming up with potential matchups as well as signing new fighters to contracts in order to fill up the myriad bout slots.

FiveOuncesOfPain.com has learned that one new fighter about to sign with the promotion is undefeated welterweight prospect Lyman Good of Team Tiger Schulmann’s in New Jersey.

Officials with Team Tiger Schulmann contacted FiveOuncesOfPain.com to inform us that Good has been offered a six fight contract by EliteXC and is expected to sign it by week’s end.

Good, 7-0, according to Sherdog’s fight finder, is expected to make his debut for the promotion on Sept. 20 at “The Pit” in Albuquerque, N.M. The proposed opponent for his debut is UK Muay Thai specialist Paul “Semtex” Daley. While EliteXC has yet to announce the bout officially, Daley gave strong hints that Good would be his opponent during a recent interview with MMAWeekly.com.

Good, a full-time instructor at several of Tiger Schulmann’s local mixed martial arts academies across the East Coast region, began his professional MMA career competing for Lou Neglia’s Ring of Combat promotion in Atlantic City, N.J.

He earned his first notable victory against Eric Charles during ROC 14 on April 27, 2007. Charles, who was one of 32 fighters invited to Las Vegas to fight for a final spot during the seventh season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” lost via TKO as a result of a doctor’s stoppage at 4:00 of round 1.

Following the Charles fight, Good defeated Doug Gordon via unanimous decision during a Cage Fury Fighting Championship event on June 23, 2007. He then made his debut for a major national promotion taking on Mike Dolce on the undercard of the IFL’s team semifinals last August. Good defeated Dolce, an official cast member of TUF 7, via unanimous decision.

Good’s most recent fight was unanimous decision victory over Alexis Aquino at ROC 18 this past March. He had been scheduled to defend his Ring of Combat welterweight title against John Howard in the main event of ROC 21 on Sept. 12 but Team Tiger Schulmann officials have informed us that he’s been pulled off the card.

A noted striker, Good is also a veteran of Chuck Norris’ World Combat League.

Feb 7, 2006
Gono updated his condition

Akihiro Gono updated his blog about his training.

I have only 2 months before my come back fight in the UFC. I noticed that my movement had grown more sluggish than I imagined when I started a training; in addition, I had a high fever right after I started the training and rest for a couple of days. And so my training schedule is delaying. To catch up with my original schedule, I train hard everyday in the very hot weather and I'm dying.

I had trainings twice a day and attended an English speaking class today. Now I'm exhausted. I have to be ready withing 2 months no matter what. Next 2 months, I will concentrate on training and the speaking lesson.

Feb 7, 2006
Aoki updated his column in Kamipro.com

Shinya Aoki updated his column in Kamipro.com.

It's very hot every day. To change my feeling, I went to Kamakura. My destination was Tsuruoka Hachimangu(Shrine). I saw many people who were short of breath by walking uphill to get the shrine. I sweat a lot, had a shaved ice with syrup on the top, went to beach and came home. I cannot wait my next fight. I want to know my next opponent, then I enjoy training more. By the way, my friend sent me a gift. When I open the box, there were energetic drinks for ED. I'm only 25 years old and he is making a fool of me. Honestly, I'm very interested in these drinks. The name of drinks is "Magma." I assume this drink keeps extraordinary destructive energy. If I drink this, can I be like Michael Jackson? (a nickname of Yoshihiro Akiyama) and get the highest score in the TV rating? I think I'm OK without this drink.

Feb 7, 2006
Kazuhiro Nakamura fights in SENGOKU

SENGOKU announced the participation of Kazuhiro Nakamura to SENGOKU on Sep 28. Nakamura moves down to 83kg and participates in the middleweight tournament.
Nakamura:
I have many reasons why I decided to fight in the 83kg weight class. I had fought in the 93kg weight class since I was in a junior high school. I was comfortable adjusting my weight to 93kg and had never had hard time dieting before my fights. I lost in the UFC and my experience in the UFC made me realized keenly that the difference of weights had great influence on the outcome of the fight, and I decided to fight in a lower weight class. I have no idea what I can do and what I cannot do in this weight class.

Feb 7, 2006
Murilo Rua wants EliteXC title back

After losing the EliteXC belt and facing some injuries that took him out of the fights, Murilo “Ninja” Rua now is back with total strength, with a huge TKO over Tony Bonello at the Hawaiian edition. “I have more six fights under my contract and I think I’ll do this fight now and later will get a title shot. If the victory comes, I might fight for the belt”, said Rua, that doesn’t know who will he face. “They didn’t set yet if I’m going to fight at September 20th or October 4th, but I’ll be back soon and will go for the belt. I don’t have an opponent yet, but I can face anybody in my division. I’m training hard, doing Boxing, Muay Thay and ground work, I have great coaches, everything is perfect”.

Feb 7, 2006
TITO ORTIZ ACTIVELY NEGOTIATING WITH AFFLICTION

LOS ANGELES – At a press luncheon on Tuesday, Affliction vice president Tom Atencio told MMAWeekly.com that negotiations are now underway with former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz. Affliction COO Michael Cohen confirmed that Ortiz is free to negotiate with the upstart company, and was working on a deal with Ortiz’s lawyers.

In an interview with SI.com last week, Ortiz confirmed he was working on a “groundbreaking record contract” with a company assumed to be Affliction. However, the outspoken fighter was a no-show at the press conference for “Day of Reckoning” in Las Vegas. Ortiz still appears to be persona non grata in UFC president Dana White’s book, but on more than one occasion, that has not come between Ortiz and a UFC contract.

As of yet, few details on the negotiation exist, but Atencio initially said the dollar signs associated with the record-breaking contract are the major sticking point.

“We’ve got a contract, and it’s just not feasible,” Atencio said.

Both Atencio and Cohen have fielded interest from a large number of free agents looking to sign with the new promotion. Affliction received a great deal of attention, much of it negative, for the 3-4 million dollars it paid to fighters in its first show, “Banned,” on July 19. Afterwards, Atencio told MMAWeekly.com one of his future concerns was to make sure fighters didn’t look at Affliction as a “cash cow.” And while there’s no doubt Ortiz can sell tickets for Affliction, it would come at a steep premium.

“It gets back to whatever I do in business, it’s always about dollars and sense,” Atencio continued. “With some fighters it’s not, with some fighters it is. There’s just so many variables.”

Still, Atencio stopped short of criticizing the outspoken fighter for his demands. There are simply more variables for Ortiz, who also said he wanted to get involved in the promotion side of his next home.

“I think that if you go into an organization, whether it’s fighting or promotion, if you feel you’re worth something, and you don’t go after it, you’re never going to know what you’re worth. I go through 90 percent of my contracts with fighters. Everybody’s different.”

Atencio gave no timetable for the potential signing, but Cohen said he did not expect a deal to be reached in time for Affliction’s “Day Of Reckoning” at the Thomas and Mack Center on Oct. 11 in Las Vegas.

Jul 24, 2005
Anthony Johnson: "Hopefully I can fight in October in Chicago

Anthony Johnson gives an update on his eye and when he plans on returning.

On his eye...

"I will recover 100%. Right now though, it’s like you say, I only got one good eye. It’s coming along. I had bad eyesight anyway, but since I had that surgery, it’s made my eye sight even better, but you know, we’ll see."

"I’m over it dog. I have been over it. In the interview…I watched the fight last night actually and he told Joe Rogan he’s willing to fight me again. I’ll fight him again, but it’s really no point. I was beating him, but if he wants that rematch, then I’ll give it to him. I won’t say no to the man. I won’t ever back down from somebody."

On his return to the Octagon...

"Hopefully I can fight in October in Chicago; that’s the one I would really like to get on. I think that’s UFC 90. I want to fight there, but if they want me to fight on Spike TV, I’ll fight there too."

His thoughts on GSP vs. Fitch...

"Fitch finished that fight on pure heart. I try not to be a nuthugger of any fighter, including myself, but Fitch has my respect. Everybody knows the talent and the type of raw athlete GSP is and Fitch could probably sense he wasn’t on his level, but he finished the fight on heart. GSP has been putting guys away and he didn’t put Fitch away. Fitch looked beat up after the fight, but he finished it and that says a lot. I give props to GSP for defending his title because he’s never done that before."

More in the full interview

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3234.html

Feb 7, 2006
Ben Rothwell vs. "Mighty Mo" match-up considered for next Affliction show

A surefire heavyweight slugfest is in the works for Affliction's second show in October.

Discussions are under way to pair Ben Rothwell against K-1 veteran Siala "Mighty Mo" Siliga at "Affliction: Day of Reckoning" on Oct. 11, a source with knowledge of the negotiations tells MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Standing in the way of the bout is approval from K-1 for Siliga to fight outside of his current contract with the organization. Siliga (3-0 in MMA) won his quarterfinal match in the K-1 2008 Grand Prix this past Saturday in Hawaii, but he couldn't continue in the tournament due to a groin injury. He could still be invited to the GP final next month as a wild-card entry, which would take him out of the running to face Rothwell in October.

Siliga's most recent MMA bout produced a technical knockout of journeyman Ruben Villareal at the K-1 HERO'S Dynamite!! event in Los Angeles in June of 2007. A match-up with Rothwell would be the kickboxer's toughest test in his brief MMA career.

Rothwell (29-6) suffered his first defeat in 14 fights after being knocked out by Andrei Arlovski at Affliction's first show on July 19 in Anaheim, Calif. "Big Ben" was suspended for 60 days following the loss but is expected to be ready for the October event at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Arlovski will headline Affliction's second event against Josh Barnett, with the winner slated to get the next crack at Fedor Emelianenko.

Feb 7, 2006
Bobby Southworth defends title against "Babalu" at Sept. 20 Strikeforce

Strikeforce world light heavyweight champion Bobby Southworth (9-5) will make his next title defense against Renato "Babalu" Sobral (30-7) at September's Playboy at the Mansion II event.

Strikeforce Vice President Mike Afromowitz today confirmed the title fight, and other event participants, with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

In addition to Southworth vs. Sobral, Afromowitz said Strikeforce world lightweight champion Josh Thomson (15-2) and undefeated prospect Billy Evangelista (7-0) have also be added to the card, though the search continues for their opponents.

Strikeforce at the Mansion II, which takes place at the world-famous Playboy Mansion in Beverly Hills, Calif., also features a previously announced fight of Joe Riggs (28-10) vs. Kazuo Misaki (20-8-2).

Sobral, a former UFC fighter who signed with Strikeforce following a victory over David Heath at UFC 74, will compete at the Strikeforce show just three weeks before his upcoming Oct. 11 "Affliction: Day of Reckoning" bout, which could come against Tito Ortiz.

Southworth made a successful title defense in June with a unanimous-decision victory over Anthony Ruiz. It was his third win in his past four fights. He'll now meet Sobral, who's riding a three-fight win streak that included a unanimous-decision victory over Mike Whitehead at Affliction's debut event in July. Sobral, who's won 13 of his past 15 fights, will likely enter the title fight as the favorite.

As we previously reported, Southworth began campaigning for the Sobral fight immediately after his June victory.

"I know that (Strikeforce) signed Babalu," the 38-year-old Southworth said at the time. "I hear he's making his debut at the Playboy Mansion show (in September). Babalu is kind of a legend in the game. ... As my career is maturing, I'm thinking more about the paydays. That's one of the reasons I'd like a step up in competition. You fight the tougher fighters, you get the bigger paychecks, and that's what I want to do."

As for Thomson, who defeated Gilbert Melendez in June to win the lightweight title, Strikeforce officials continue the search for an opponent.

"It might be a Japanese fighter," Afromowitz said. "Then again, it might not be. Things there change all the time."

Afromowitz said Thomson could make a title defense at the Sept. 20 event if "we find a real contender."

Also scheduled for the event is Evangelista, an American Kickboxing Academy lightweight who most recently defeated notable Nam Phan via split decision in June, according to Afromowitz. The victory pushed Evangelista's Strikeforce record to 3-0.

Strikeforce has not yet announced a broadcast partner for the Sept. 20 event, though Afromowitz said an announcement could come within the next week. Regardless of the live broadcast, he said the event could be packaged as a multi-episode "Strikeforce on NBC" special. Earlier this year Strikeforce struck a deal with NBC, and the organization currently airs past Strikeforce fights during its Saturday-night timeslot on NBC.

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce makes Colorado debut on Oct. 3; Ludwig vs. Morgan booked

The California-based Strikeforce organization will continue its national expansion when it makes it Colorado debut on Oct. 3 for "Strikeforce: Payback."

The event takes place at the Broomfield Event Center near Denver, Colo., and airs on HDNet, Strikeforce Vice President Mike Afromowitz today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

In a featured bout, Duane Ludwig (16-8) gets his long-awaited rematch with Sammy Morgan (19-10), and Phil Baroni (12-10) and Frank Trigg (16-6) are also tentatively scheduled for the event.

The Colorado event will be just the second show Strikeforce has held outside California. The organization held an event, "Strikeforce at the Dome," in Washington earlier this year with a headline bout of Jan Nortje vs. Bob Sapp.

Ludwig and Morgan, both Strikeforce and UFC veterans, first met in April 2005 at a Ring of Fire event in Colorado. In the night's main event, Morgan scored a first-round, 52-second knockout of Ludwig.

Ludwig last fought in March at World Victory Road's debut show, where he suffered a first-round TKO to highly ranked lightweight Takanori Gomi. Morgan, meanwhile, has lost his past two fights, though the losses came to notables Cung Le and Paul Daley.

Baroni, who recently dropped to welterweight, is also expected to fight at the event. The UFC and PRIDE veteran has already fought four times in 2008 -- twice for ICON Sport and once for EliteXC and Cage Rage -- and he's slated to fight Sept. 26 for Palace Fighting Championships. With just one week between the PFC and Strikeforce events, it's unclear which one will take precedence.

Additionally, Trigg, who returns from an eight-month layoff next week at World Victory Road's "Sengoku 4" event, is tentatively scheduled for the Strikeforce event. However, the veteran fighter today told MMAjunkie.com that he has not yet signed a contract with Strikeforce and that the Oct. 3 bout depends on how he feels after his Aug. 24 bout with Makoto Takimoto.

"However, I would like to fight three times before the end of the year -- once next week for World Victory Road, Oct. 3 for Strikeforce, and then on New Year's Eve in Japan," he said.

Strikeforce will be the second major MMA organization to hold an event in Colorado this year. The UFC held its UFC Fight Night 13 event at the same venue on April 2.

Feb 7, 2006
Couture, Fedor Want 'Dream Match' A Reality

It appears Randy Couture (Pictures) and Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) are stepping up their games to collectively ensure they will get the opportunity to face one another in the ring. However, the top-ranked heavyweight pair still have a few hurdles to scale to make the sport’s “dream match” a reality.

On Monday, Couture, Emelianenko, and their management teams quietly met on multiple occasions in Los Angeles, the purpose of which both fighting legends confirmed to Sherdog.com Tuesday.

“We talked a little bit about everything,” Emelianenko said at a luncheon hosted by Affliction Entertainment. “Certainly, one of the main topics was the possibility of having a fight together and the realities that we both face -- mainly that he [Couture] faces -– and whether the reality of having a fight can happen.”

The congregation of east and west was a first for the sport, one born out of necessity as the 45-year-old Couture faces an ongoing legal stalemate while the 18-month, four-fight promotional contract he signed with the UFC in early 2007 is reviewed by a Las Vegas arbitrator in the coming months.

Couture (16-8) resigned from the UFC on Oct. 11, 2007, citing conflicts with pay and treatment. Most notably, Couture lamented that the UFC’s parent company, Zuffa LLC, failed to sign the number-one ranked Emelianenko -- the one fighter Couture wished to face -- into their heavyweight stable. Couture left the organization to seek out the fight with Emelianenko (28-1, 1 NC) in a rival promotion, though the UFC insists the heavyweight champion retired from their ranks and still owes them two more fights if he decides to come back from sabbatical. Couture and his attorneys believe his promotional (or fight) agreement expired on July 19.

Monday’s meetings -- which took place over breakfast, a photo shoot session, then later at dinner –- were friendly in nature according to both parties, though they also involved a certain degree of strategic discussions.

“It was an honor to spend a little time with Fedor,” Couture told Sherdog.com Tuesday. “We’re just trying to exhaust every option to make this fight a reality.”

An obvious option would lead both men back to the UFC, the least risk-involved promotion capable of building the bout into a million-plus pay-per-view giant.

Vadim Finkelstein, Emelianenko’s manager and confidante, said he is not against negotiating again with the world’s leading fight promotion, though it’s clear the Russian businessman, who also owns the M-1 Global promotion, would have stipulations.

“We, M-1, we’re not in any way against working with the UFC. We’ve spoken to them before about the possibility of working with them together. Anything’s possible,” said Finkelstein.

Finkelstein proposed that an agreement for Emelianenko-Couture could be reached if UFC President Dana White was willing “to meet halfway.”

What constitutes “halfway” may be the rub though.

“It’s similar to what we’re doing with Affliction,” said Finkelstein. “Our relationship we’re currently seeing with Affliction is a co-production and a co-promotion and a partnership. If things aren’t monopolized and we can work together, then it’s a possibility.”

A co-promoted event between the Russian outlet and the UFC was rejected by Zuffa in September 2007, as White pursued Emelianenko, now a free agent, following the crumbling of Pride Fighting Championships in Japan.

Instead, Finkelstein said the UFC presented the nearly unblemished Pride heavyweight champion with a stringent, binding contract –- one that pledged his exclusivity to their organization and prevented him from competing in sambo, which Emelianenko is a national spokesman for in his homeland.

“Many of the terms were oppressive and there really wasn’t any negotiation,” said Finkelstein. “It was a ‘take it or leave it.’ Basically, as Fedor just said, ‘You know what? You’re going to come back to us anyway. It’s either this or we’ll see you later when you come back.’”

Instead, Emelianenko signed a two-year, six-fight deal with M-1 Global in October 2007. White blamed the failed negotiations on his inability to deal with the "crazy Russians."

“Of course, he can’t deal with us because he can’t deal with anybody,” a still stinging Finkelstein said Tuesday. “He wants to have everything in his own control, but we can’t deal with people that want to control everything.”

Mudslinging aside, another attempt to negotiate was made. In November 2007, M-1 Global, in agreement with Couture, again presented a co-promotion opportunity to Zuffa privately, this time for the heavyweight unification bout between Couture and Emelianenko. Zuffa turned the offer down.

Emelianenko has since floated between promotions like the now-defunct Bodog Fight, Japan’s Yarennoka and most recently, Affliction.

At Affliction “Banned” on July 19, Emelianenko clobbered former UFC champion Tim Sylvia (Pictures) in a tidy 36 seconds, but chipped the bone at the base of his right thumb for his efforts.

While the injury will not require surgery, it could prevent the 32-year-old from competing at the World Sambo Championships for Russia in November, as well as cancel the Russian’s annual fight appearance on New Year’s Eve in Japan.

Also in the U.S. to negotiate his second bout with Affliction for February or March, Emelianenko and his managers say the elusive bout with Couture continues to loom on the sidelines.

If round two of negotiations with Zuffa were to take place shortly, Finkelstein said he might be open to a two-fight deal with Couture the first opponent on the ledger. However, Finkelstein seemed less than assured that the UFC would budge from the original offer they made nearly eleven months ago.

“This is unfortunately the only company right now that is attempting to monopolize and essentially do everything themselves,” said Finkelstein. "That’s not what we’re about."