MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
UFC WORLDWIDE: DANA WHITE TALKS EXPANSION

The road show that’s been the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s strategy as of late will continue to cross borders, according to UFC president Dana White.

At the post-fight press conference for UFC 87 in Minneapolis, White made some broad sketches of the future pins in the UFC’s travel map.

First on that list was a stop in the Philippines, which currently airs UFC fights. It’s also the native land of newly minted light heavyweight Brandon Vera, who counts president Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo among his fans.

White also re-affirmed an anticipated trip to Mexico, in which several UFC fighters, including Roger Huerta, Eddie Sanchez, and Diego Sanchez, have ethnic roots.

"When I say we're going everywhere, I mean we're going everywhere,” White said.

Canada is also a high priority for Zuffa, LLC. Georges St. Pierre’s rematch with Matt Serra at UFC 83 was a smashing success, drawing the largest MMA crowd ever in North America. Since then, White said the company wants to expand its reach in the U.S.’s northern neighbor. “We're really focusing on opening up Canada,” he continued. “Canada has become a really big market for us. We didn't expect that.”

On the home front, White says the UFC is still focusing on getting sanctioning in Massachusetts and New York. As of yet, neither state regulates MMA.

In Massachusetts, legislation to regulate the sport was left out of the 2009 state budget proposal, according to a report in The Boston Globe. State Senator James E. Timilty, who authored the bill, will not be able to re-introduce new legislation until December, making it highly unlikely that Bostonians will see the UFC in their backyard for most of 2009.

Though White anticipated an early 2009 appearance for the UFC in New York, a similar scenario exists for the Empire State. State Assembly Bill 1-11458-A, which would legalize MMA in New York, did not pass in the June session and would not be up for another vote until January of 2009.

While there’s no doubt UFC employees will be putting a few more stamps on their passports, not every city has welcomed them. Still, the ones who have, like Minneapolis, were a pleasant surprise for White. “I can’t tell you how much I like this place,” he told reporters. “I’ve been having too much fun. I gotta get the hell out of here or I’m going to die.”

Feb 7, 2006
Fedor says he’ll return by New Year’s Eve; rematch with Cro Cop unlikely

Sports Illustrated was able to catch up with Fedor Emelianenko and get some comments on him in regards to when he thinks he’ll be able to step back into the ring as well as his future fight plans:

“I think definitely by New Year’s Eve I’ll be ready to go,” the 31-year-old Russian told SI.com Sunday.

“My desire at this point is to meet with the winner of the fight,” said Emelianenko, the only current WAMMA champ. “But I still have a desire to fight with whomever loses as well.

But it doesn’t look like Fedor’s return to the ring will come against the winner of the aforementioned fight between Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett. It looks like it will come against an opponent to be determined on a New Year’s Eve show in Japan and that opponent doesn’t look to be Mirko Cro Cop:

Early speculation centered on a rematch of Emelianenko’s tremendous points win in 2005 over Mirko Filipovic. However, a representative for the No. 1-ranked heavyweight said it’s doubtful the fight would take place at this time. In a bout intended for Japanese fight fans, Emelianenko will likely meet a “judo legend or sumo wrestler.”

It would appear that Fedor will fight in another freakshow fight before he steps back into the ring against a legitimate opponent. “Judo legend or sumo wrestler” does not sound like a true challenge for the heavyweight king and is most likely a match that will be put together to appease the Japanese fans on New Year’s Eve. Let’s just hope that after he mauls whatever giant or washed up judoka they put in there with him that he gets back to fighting the top caliber heavyweights in Affliction.

Apr 25, 2002
i might be mistaken but i dont think mma regulated in hawaii. i know they have shoxc and icon fights there though.
I think it'll be regulated by mid 2009. Dana White wanted to put a show out there. Id like to see an outdoor UFC event, why not have it where the NFL usually has its Pro Bowl. I mean it'll just be a huge show for BJ Penns fans....

Feb 7, 2006
FLORIAN PLANS TO FIGHT AGAIN IN 2008 REGARDLESS OF PENN SITUATION

Heading into UFC 87 it seemed like a perfect scenario that the winner of Kenny Florian versus Roger Huerta would be on the fast track to challenge current lightweight champion, B.J. Penn, for his title later this year.

Now it appears Penn is on a collision course with UFC welterweight champion, Georges St. Pierre, and Florian, who won a dominant decision over Huerta on Saturday night, may have to let nature take its course before he gets his shot at the title.

“(Penn) made the decision that he wants to fight GSP and I tell you what as a fan I want to see that fight,” said Florian during an appearance on MMAWeekly Radio Monday night. “I think it’s going to be an unbelievable fight, I think it’s great for the sport. Two guys at the top of their games, two champions in the UFC are going to fight which is huge. “

“I don’t want to wait around either, it’s kind of frustrating at the same time. I do want to fight the top guys, B.J. obviously is a legend and when you want to make your mark, that’s what I want to do, I want to have my legacy in this sport as well, so give me a chance.”

Building off the momentum of the win over Huerta, the former “Ultimate Fighter” season 1 member is planning on taking at least 1 more fight before 2008 is over, whether it’s B.J. Penn or not.

“At the same time, it’s a risky move and some people have criticized me for it, but I still want to get another fight in,” Florian commented. “I want to fight again before the year’s end and I want to fight someone tough.”

Someone tough could include any number of top lightweights including fighters such as Joe Stevenson, Frankie Edgar, or possibly a super fight that would give Florian an international opponent.

“Maybe I could fight the winner of (Tyson) Griffin-(Sean) Sherk, I don’t know how the timing works out for that,” said Florian. “Maybe we can bring someone in like a (Joachim) Hansen or (Shinya) Aoki or someone, to have kind of a super fight.”

Florian, who along with brother Keith will open “Florian Martial Arts Center (www.florianmartialartscenter.com) later this month, and then it’s back to business.

“I don’t care, I want to fight top guys, I want to stay busy and all I’ve got to do is keep winning,” stated Florian. “There’s still some fights out there for me. It’s not like I’ve cleaned out the division completely. There’s plenty of challenges out there at 155 for me.”

Feb 7, 2006
ALVAREZ WANTS HANSEN, GOMI AND GOLD

Coming off of one of the most impressive tournament runs ever, in the Dream lightweight Grand Prix, Eddie Alvarez is back home, his eye is just fine, and he’s got 20/20 vision locked on to several possible opponents for his next fight.

When the 2008 Dream lightweight Grand Prix was finished, Alvarez stood as the only fighter still undefeated, but unfortunately an injured eye following his fight with Tatsuya Kawajiri prevented him from fighting in the finals.

Now ranked as the No. 3 lightweight in the world according to MMAWeekly.com’s World MMA Rankings, Alvarez is back in the gym and ready for at least one more fight in 2008.

“I don’t want to lose momentum. I’m actually back in the gym already,” said Alvarez in a recent interview with MMAWeekly Radio.

The Philadelphia-based fighter doesn’t have to worry about options for his next fight as he has many. Obviously, getting a crack at Joachim Hansen, the fighter that went on to win the lightweight Grand Prix, is at the top of the list.

“I want the Dream belt. I want to show people that’s my belt,” Alvarez stated. “I feel like people know in their hearts that I’m the champion. I also feel like I’m the champion, but I don’t have the belt or the check to prove it.”

Currently Alvarez has contracts with both EliteXC and Adrenaline MMA in America, but he will ultimately go wherever puts him in the best fight possible.

“It’s all up to my management and what makes the most sense,” he said. “I somehow want to get to a point within these next two fights to fight tough competitors where it will put me in line to fight someone that eventually is higher than me.”

EliteXC vice president Jared Shaw spoke to MMAWeekly.com about Alvarez’s future in their organization, a possible title fight against current champ K.J. Noons, as well as their willingness to allow him to pursue his dream in Dream.

“Eddie definitely deserves an opportunity also to fight for the title, there’s no doubt about it that Eddie and Nick (Diaz) are 1, 2 and they’re interchangeable,” said Shaw.

“I’d like to discuss with Eddie what his thoughts are. I’d really like him to come and fight for EliteXC before the year ends. I also want to talk to Eddie on how he feels about fighting (Joachim) Hansen, because he really does deserve that title and we want to be fair to the kid. At the same time, I want to use him.”

The opportunities don’t stop with just those fights either as Alvarez has made no bones about a fighter that he wants in the ring or cage in the very near future as well.

“I really would like to get to (Takanori) Gomi somehow within these next two fights,” Alvarez commented. “And whoever I’ve got to fight to get there that’s what I want to do.”

Feb 7, 2006
PAUL DALEY CONFIRMS ELITEXC BOUT, SHIELDS NEXT?

A month removed from a knockout victory over Bojan Kosednar at the latest Cage Warriors event, top British welterweight Paul Daley confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that his next bout will be in the U.S. for EliteXC.

“I will be fighting Sept. 20 in New Mexico, most likely against an undefeated ex-IFL fighter who cannot be named yet,” said Daley. “I'm really looking forward to it.

“ProElite have been awesome considering, and I went against their wishes in fighting for Cage Warriors in the U.K., but I was going through a bad time and it made sense to have the comeback in the U.K,” he continued, referring to circumstances that have led him in and out of retirement over the past year. In the process, Daley relinquished the championship titles he held with Cage Rage, FX-3, and King of the Ring.

He seems to be on an upswing of late, however, following his win over Kosednar with a quick return in September and a strong training camp.

“Right now I’m training my ass off. I’m always a slow starter in training camp, but I'm in my rhythm now,” informed Daley. “I leave for Holland this weekend for two weeks of training camp out there with Mike's Gym and Melvin Manhoef before going to the U.S.A. and training with my secret weapon.”

Despite giving up the gold that was already around his waist, Daley has his sights set on more… possibly a showdown with EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields?

“I beat this guy (on Sept. 20), I will no doubt be fighting for the EliteXC title next!” stated and emphatic Daley.

As he stated in a recent interview on MMAWeekly Radio, Daley doesn’t lack confidence to challenge the best that EliteXC has to offer. “Eddie Alvarez, Jake Shields, Nick “The Goat” Thompson, K.J. Noons, whoever is put in front of me, I’m going to be knocking them out. My record at the moment is like a 73% knockout rate. That is going to go a lot higher, you better believe that.”

Jan 10, 2008
Hughes is still talking?

Penn has a better chance in a 3rd fight.

Alves deserves a shot, but he probably wont get one...
If BJ's head is straight and he gets his cardio up to go five which it looks like he is serious now. I definetly think BJ will take GSP as long as he doesnt gas. He might be the only real threat to GSP.

Feb 7, 2006
L.A. Confidential: Couture, Fedor Meet

Randy Couture (Pictures) and Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures), along with their respective management teams, met in Los Angeles on Monday, according to a source familiar with both mixed martial arts legends. The source declined to reveal what was discussed between the two sides.

Couture, Emelianenko, and their representatives spent “significant” time together, as they met for breakfast and dinner, the source said. They were also involved in a photo shoot together, reports the source. While speculation around a future fight promoted by Affliction seems certain to swirl, the source indicated the upstart promotion was not behind the aforementioned shoot.

Couture’s representatives declined to comment on the matter, while Emelianenko’s handlers could not be immediately reached.

Monday’s meetings marked the second time the iconic pair have congregated in recent weeks. On July 19, the stoic Russian exchanged pleasantries with the equally amiable Couture inside the Affliction ring, re-igniting hopes the two top-ranked fighters might clash in what has already been billed as the sport’s first great blockbuster offering.

The world’s two most respected heavyweights have both voiced their wish to face one another competitively in 2008 or early 2009, though the potential bout has stalled due to legal issues surrounding Couture’s promotional contract with the UFC.

The 45-year-old Couture (16-8) walked away from the UFC last October when the promotion failed to sign the world’s most costly free agent into their stable. Couture has since been embroiled in a legal standoff with UFC parent company, Zuffa LLC, which contends their renegade heavyweight champion still owes them two fights. The five-time UFC champion believes his contract expired on July 19.

Couture has not stepped back into the Octagon since his third-round pummeling of Gabriel Gonzaga (Pictures) at UFC 74 last August.

Emelianenko (28-1), meanwhile, has rattled off nine consecutive victories -- a streak highlighted by his 36-second rout of two-time UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia (Pictures) at Affliction “Banned” on July 19.

Zuffa will almost certainly move to block any potential match pairing Couture with Emelianenko, though a fight between them could still conceivably take place inside the UFC’s hallowed Octagon.

Signed in December 2006, Couture’s employment contract could come into play again if he were to attempt to organize a bout with Emelianenko. Zuffa already filed for breach of contract against the UFC Hall-of-Famer on Jan. 14 in Nevada, claiming he had violated a one-year non-compete clause in his employment contract by promoting non-UFC events. Couture’s employment agreement, which hired the then-retired heavyweight for commentary and promotional appearances, expires on Oct. 10.

In a separate legal matter, Zuffa LLC emerged victorious from a Dallas appeals court on Aug. 1, as it was granted a stay against a motion for summary judgment filed by Mark Cuban’s HDNet Fights on Feb. 13. Cuban, the outspoken renegade owner of the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks, requested the Texas court decide when Couture would become eligible to sign with his rival promotion. He, too, has shown interest in promoting a match between Couture and Emelianenko.

The court entertained only written arguments from both sides. The Aug. 1 judgment effectively stopped Couture’s case from unfolding in Texas, though Cuban figures to appeal the decision to the Texas Supreme Court.

Focus has since shifted back to Las Vegas, where behind-closed-doors arbitration hearings between Couture and Zuffa are already under way, per Couture’s fight agreement. The four-time Olympic alternate was deposed for the case in July, along with UFC President Dana White. More individuals are expected to join the process in the coming weeks.

Feb 7, 2006
Rua’s da man? ‘Shogun vs Rampage 2′ in the works says former GP champ

Get ready for Japan’s biggest rematch since Yuko Matsumiya out-winded Atsushi Fujita at last year’s 61st annual Fukuoka Marathon, which ironically, was the inspiration for the name of the UFC’s buyout of PRIDE now known as Fukuova.

“It was a business decision to kill PRIDE” according to UFC President Dana White in a recent interview.

But if comments made by Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (16-3) at a recent training seminar are any indication, PRIDE may in fact live again.

At least for one night in December.

Rua, winner of the PRIDE 2005 middleweight grand prix, informed a very unsuspecting but grateful crowd that he was indeed anticipating a December return and hopeful that his opponent would be former UFC light heavyweight champion Quinton “Rampage” Jackson (28-7), not Mark Coleman as previously reported.

The same Quinton Jackson that was knocked out in devastating fashion by Rua at PRIDE Total Elimination 2005.

Or perhaps it isn’t the same Quinton Jackson, which is why the prospect of a rematch has so many fans buzzing, despite the fact that negotiations are still in their infancy.

After all, a lot has happened in three years.

Rampage would be victorious in his next six fights following the Rua defeat, including wins over top ten fighters Matt Lindland, Chuck Liddell and Dan Henderson.

Some fans would call it seven straight, overlooking the questionable judging in his decision loss to Forrest Griffin at UFC 86.

In spite of that loss, it’s not outrageous to call Jackson a more evolved and complete fighter than the free-swinging showman from 2005.

And still one of the world’s best at 205 lbs.

But that claim may not hold water for Rua, also a victim of the spoiler Griffin. Not only was Shogun defeated, he was outworked and eventually submitted by the TUF alum in an uninspiring debut at UFC 76 that left many wondering what happened to the Shogun of old.

The Shogun that went 16-2 in PRIDE with 13 (T)KO’s to his credit.

After the loss, Rua was slated to face Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell at UFC 85 until a torn ACL sidelined the Brazilian for several months.

Now the former Chute Box pillar will get another crack at victory in the UFC if both sides are able to come together. Assuming that each combatant remains healthy, the only possible roadblock would be Jackson’s potential legal repercussions stemming from his recent brush with the law.

Hopefully that situation resolves itself without impacting Jackson’s career. This fight would not only be exciting, but it would also go a long way in re-establishing the credibility of Rua for newer fans.

Shogun may have a record that speaks for itself, but he still has a lot to prove in the eyes of many UFC fans - namely that he’ll be able to make the transition from the ring to the Octagon.

Something fellow PRIDE import Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic never could.

Feb 7, 2006
Ricardo Almeida to meet former IFL champ Matt Horwich at UFC 90

Ricardo Almeida (9-3 MMA, 2-3 UFC), who suffered his first loss in more than six years when he dropped a split decision to Patrick Cote in July, will next take on former International Fight League middleweight champion Matt Horwich (23-10 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at UFC 90.

The UFC announced the bout and the signing of Horwich overnight.

UFC 90 takes place Oct. 25 at Allstate Arena just outside Chicago.

Almeida, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, returned from a near-four-year layoff earlier this year and re-signed with the UFC. He earned a quick, 68-second submission of Rub Yundt for his seventh straight win. However, the loss to Cote snapped the streak.

The 31-year-old will now meet Horwich, whO's fought exclusively for the IFL since April 2006. The Team Quest fighter went 7-4 in the organization and picked up the IFL's middleweight title with a second-round knockout of Benji Radach at the IFL's World Grand Prix.

The 30-year-old lost the title to Ryan McGivern in his first title defense. It was the only loss in Horwich's past five fights.

With the IFL all but dead, the league's fighters have been spreading throughout the MMA community over the past few weeks. A handful have landed with the UFC; others have signed with Affliction, the WEC and other organizations.

Feb 7, 2006
Jon Fitch wants to fight next ‘before the end of the year’

“I wasn’t that beat up. Just a little off in the head after the first dropedge. I’m fine and will be back before the end of the year if I have any say in it.”

Top welterweight contender Jon Fitch is eager to return to the Octagon after missing out on an opportunity to topple Georges St. Pierre at UFC 87: “Seek and Destroy” and capture his 170-pound title. Despite “being a little off in the head” early in the five-round fight, Fitch managed to hang on until the very end, delivering one of the gutsiest performances of the year. It would be no surprise to see him take on the winner of the welterweight bout between Karo Parisyan and Yoshiyuki Yoshida at UFC 88: “Breakthrough” on September 6.

Feb 7, 2006
No CroCop Vs. Overeem In DREAM.6 Either!

Alistair Overeem says in a new interview with intheguard.tv that he recently heard that he won’t be fighting Mirko CroCop at DREAM.6. This isn’t very surprising as DREAM.6 is a very important event for the organization, so they probably want to book Mirko against someone who is a bigger draw in Japan. In the interview, Alistair also talks about why he keeps calling Mirko out.

Feb 7, 2006
Cage Rage Takes First Step in Venue Right-Sizing

Cage Rage, The UK’s preeminent domestic MMA promotion, announced their next card will emanate
from the Troxy Theatre, Commercial Road, London Saturday September 20th. The Card features James “Collosus” Thompson, returning to fight before his home town crowd after a controversial 3rd round stoppage to American Kimbo Slice. Thompson is set to fight the 6’5 Polish fighter Piotor “Doctor” Kusmierz.

This Card also features the British Welter Weight Title Fight featuring the champion, Che “The Silent Assassin” Mills of Gloucester facing contender Ross “The Gladiator” Pointon of Stoke-On-Trent.

MMAPayout blogged recently about the decision to move away from strictly arena shows at Wembley Arena in London. This is a much more fiscally sound plan, with venue planning dependent upon drawing ability. The previous strategy seemed a bit oblivious to this basic concept, with a one venue size fitting all situations philosophy.

Feb 7, 2006
PAT MILETICH: "FANS GET TO SEE THE BEST FIGHTERS ON THE PLANET"

"Organizational belts are great, but as a fighter, you want to know if you're the number one guy on the planet and you're got to be allowed to be able to fight people from other organizations that are ranked at the top of the world with you," stated MMA legend Pat Miletich as he talked about the importance of WAMMA and the different organizations working with each other. Check out what else he had to say about WAMMA, the possibility of a comeback and much more.

Feb 7, 2006
WAMMA ANNOUNCES STRATEGIC ALLIANCE WITH GAYLORD SPORTS MANAGEMENT
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3236.html?PHPSESSID=9e75c1b4a89084486d2cf09b2fc81a74
The World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts (WAMMA) today announced a new strategic alliance with Gaylord Sports Management, one of the strongest professional management companies in the industry, in which Gaylord will provide advice and counsel to WAMMA on partnerships and sponsorship opportunities

Feb 7, 2006
SHANE CARWIN: "I'M WILLING TO STAND AND BANG WITH ANY OF THESE GUYS"
link:http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3231.html
"I'm willing to stand and bang with any of these guys, but like I said, we will work on a gameplan for Wain just like we did for Wellisch because each fight in the UFC is different," stated UFC heavyweight Shane Carwin as he talked about his upcoming clash with Neil Wain at UFC 89 in England. Check out what else he had to say about Wain, the fight and much more.

Feb 7, 2006
Kenny Florian: "MMA Live" could soon be headed to ESPN

"MMA Live," ESPN.com's popular web-only broadband MMA news show, could soon be headed to regular cable television.

Top UFC lightweight contender and "MMA Live" host Kenny Florian said a deal that would put the show on ESPN or ESPN2 is "very, very close" to being finalized.

Florian discussed the show's future while a guest on Monday's edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com) the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

So when exactly could the deal be done?

"I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but soon," Florian said. "The next couple of month, we're hoping to get [MMA Live] on ESPN or ESPN 2, and the sponsors are getting on board as we speak, so we should have a deal very, very soon. We're all very pumped."

The 30-minute studio show, which launched in May, is hosted by Jon Anik with Florian, boxing/MMA writer Franklin McNeil and other guest hosts as analysts. With stellar production values, video footage from all the top organizations (including the UFC) and the backing of the sport's world most powerful news oulet, "MMA Live" has garnered a strong following despite being distributed only on the web.

"It's a fun time," said Florian, who awakes at 4 a.m. to tape the show in Bristol, Conn., each Thursday. "The producers are awesome to work with. Everyone over there is cool."

"MMA Live" airs Thursdays at 6 p.m. ET on ESPN.com.