MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
FSN Working On TV Deal With SENGOKU!

Frank Trigg, who is scheduled to fight Makoto Takimoto at SENGOKU IV on August 24th, was a guest on the radio show “MMA Nation” yesterday where he said that FSN are working on a deal with World Victory Road to air SENGOKU.

Feb 7, 2006
Miguel Torres ‘itching’ for next WEC fight in December

“I’m itching real bad. I want to get down. I hate going to fights and sitting in the stands. I would have loved to have stepped in the cage on Sunday. I guess I just have to wait my turn…. I think [Manny] Tapia is at the front of the line, but he just messed up his knee. So I don’t know. I’ll fight [Brian] Bowles — he looks good. And if he doesn’t get the next shot I’m sure we’ll cross paths one of these days if he keeps winning. I don’t really care. I’ll fight anybody, anywhere. He doesn’t even have to be 135 pounds.”

WEC Bantamweight Champion Miguel Torres talks about his eagerness to return to action in a recent interview against possibly Manny Tapia or Brian Bowles. Torres appears to indicate that Tapia has the inside track to challenge for his 135-pound belt next if he’s fit. Otherwise, we could see Bowles — who recently stopped Damacio Page — get the nod. Either way it should be a tough fight for either fighter — Torres sounds fired up.

Jul 24, 2005
WEC Reaches New Deal with Versus

WEC is here to stay!

WEC and The Versus Channel have reached a new TV deal for 2009. The new deal will increase the number of live events from six, which they have slated for 2008, to eight in 2009.

Credit: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Jul 24, 2005
Ken Flo is Machida 2.0

Will other fighters begin to pay attention to Lyoto Machida’s strategy?

stated during post fight interview. He also admitted to going back to his old habits after the 1st round. To his credit Roger Huerta continued to chase Florian but every time he got within striking range Kenny made Roger pay for it with punches, kicks, one grazing elbow, knees, a flying knee and a great front kick to the jaw.

What I really liked about Florian’s brilliant technical-elusive-performance was his output. Florian could have pressed the action a little bit more but he did more than enough to hurt and frustrate Huerta. Just like Machida, he imposed his style and game plan on his opponent. I appreciate Florian a bit more simply because he offers more offense. Kenny Florian did not stray from his game plan, his comfort zone, which is very important in a fight game. So should other fighters take note and consider working on their footwork, position and angles when standing up? Or should fools rush in and the suffer the fate of presenting easy punching targets a-la Chris Leban vs Anderson Silva, Houston Alexander vs James Irvin and Rob Emerson vs Manvel Gamburyan?

Jul 24, 2005
Mike Brown: "I will impose my game on Urijah

Mike Brown talks about his title clash with Urijah Faber.

On his upcoming fight with Urijah Faber...

"It’s going to be a tough fight. It’s one of those fights where if you go in there and perform, you could win and if not, you will lose. I gotta be on that night. I have to make sure everything is right in my life and training is going good and perform that night and it will be alright. "

"I’ve been training hard for the last 3 and half weeks. He’s good and unpredictable so I’m just going to do what I do. I’m going to put my game on him and move forward, put pressure on him and look for the big shots. I don’t usually try to score points with the little shots. I try to go hard and that’s what I’m going to do. I will impose my game on him; that’s the plan. "

"I don’t see a glaring hole anywhere in Urijah’s game. You have to try and make a hole, put your stuff together and set something up. He doesn’t have a glaring hole in his game I don’t think. "

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3224.html

WXS STOMP3R

SENIOR GANG MEMBER
Feb 27, 2006
Will other fighters begin to pay attention to Lyoto Machida’s strategy?

stated during post fight interview. He also admitted to going back to his old habits after the 1st round. To his credit Roger Huerta continued to chase Florian but every time he got within striking range Kenny made Roger pay for it with punches, kicks, one grazing elbow, knees, a flying knee and a great front kick to the jaw.

What I really liked about Florian’s brilliant technical-elusive-performance was his output. Florian could have pressed the action a little bit more but he did more than enough to hurt and frustrate Huerta. Just like Machida, he imposed his style and game plan on his opponent. I appreciate Florian a bit more simply because he offers more offense. Kenny Florian did not stray from his game plan, his comfort zone, which is very important in a fight game. So should other fighters take note and consider working on their footwork, position and angles when standing up? Or should fools rush in and the suffer the fate of presenting easy punching targets a-la Chris Leban vs Anderson Silva, Houston Alexander vs James Irvin and Rob Emerson vs Manvel Gamburyan?
IM SUPRISED THESE STRATEGIES AND GAMEPLANS ARE BARELY COMING INTO PLAY. BUT SHIT NOBODY REALLY SEEN A ALI TYPE STRATEGY, ROPE A DOPE, MIRAGE, FLOAT LIKE A BUTTERFLY, ETC IN BOXING TIL HE CAME ALONG BUT I KNOW HE CREDITS RAY ROBINSON FOR HIS STYLE. ONLY DOWNSIDE IS IN MMA IT'S PRETTY MUCH A BIG GAME OF TAG.

Feb 7, 2006
St. Pierre, Fitch, Evensen and Thomas issued UFC 87 medical suspensions

Headliners Georges St. Pierre and Jon Fitch, and preliminary-card fighters Dan Evensen and Ryan Thomas, were all issued minimal medical suspensions stemming from this past Saturday's UFC 87 event.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today spoke to a representative from the Minnesota Combative Sports Commission who confirmed the suspensions.

St. Pierre's short suspension means one less hurdle toward a likely upcoming fight with UFC lightweight champ B.J. Penn later this year.

St. Pierre, who defended his welterweight title with a lopsided unanimous-decision victory over Jon Fitch, was suspended 30 days due to cuts. Fitch, who lost for the first time in nine UFC fights, was also assigned a 30-day suspension.

After the main-event fight, Penn was brought into the cage to hype St. Pierre vs. Penn II, which is expected to take place this year at a currently unannounced event in Montreal or the UFC's year-end show, which is set for Dec. 27 in Las Vegas. Although UFC President Dana White was noncommittal prior to UFC 87, after the event he confirmed the rematch would be next up for both fighters. The fight will take place at 170 pounds.

Without a lengthy medical suspension, St. Pierre should be cleared for the fight.

Meawhile, Evensen, who suffered a first-round TKO to Cheick Kongo in a preliminary bout, will serve a 30-day medical suspension, and he must have a CT scan to rule out any serious injuries. (The Kongo-Evensen fight was shown via tape delay on the pay-per-view broadcast.)

Finally, Thomas, whom Ben Saunders submitted with a second-round arm-bar in the night's first bout, will also serve a 30-day suspension due to cuts.

Feb 7, 2006
Bart Palaszewski headed to the WEC

As the all-but-dead International Fight League fades into oblivion, the organization's talent continues finding new homes.

The latest is Bart Palaszewski (29-11), who plans to accept a multi-fight deal with World Extreme Cagefighting.

Palaszewski, a seven-year veteran who went to 8-4 in the IFL as a member of Pat Miletich's dominant Quad City Silverbacks squad, will compete in the organization's lightweight division, he revealed over the weekend.

Palaszewski, 25, was part of the Silverbacks' two team championships in 2006. Additionally, he began his IFL career with five consecutive victories, but he lost he final three bouts in the organization. Of his four losses in the IFL, two came to stand-out Chris Horodecki via close split-decision defeats.

Back in June, Palaszewski snapped the three-fight losing streak with a second-round TKO of UFC veteran Jeff Cox at Arenaline MMA's debut show.

According to Sherdog.com, Palaszewski said he could make his WEC debut as early as the organization's Sept. 10 show.

Feb 7, 2006
Wanderlei Talks 'Rampage,' Liddell and UFC 87
videolink: http://www.sherdog.com/videos/recent/Wanderlei-Talks-Rampage-Liddell-and-UFC-87-1734
Sherdog.com’s TJ De Santis spoke exclusively with Wanderlei Silva (Pictures) Saturday night in Minneapolis, where the Brazilian knockout artist discussed Quinton Jackson (Pictures), Chuck Liddell (Pictures) vs. Rashad Evans (Pictures) and Demian Maia (Pictures)’s impressive submission win at UFC 87.

Feb 7, 2006
HUERTA AMENDS CONTROVERSIAL COMMENTS

Before he ever stepped into the Octagon, Roger Huerta’s appearance at UFC 87 was shadowed by controversy. In the August issue of FIGHT! magazine, the popular lightweight took a not-so-subtle jab at his employer’s rate of compensation for fight and non-fight related activities. Huerta cited $50 a day per diems, thin margins between fight purses and training expenses, and free appearances expected of him from sponsors as the main reasons for his discontent.

“Why do you think I don’t do PR for the UFC any more?” Huerta said in the magazine interview.

Fallout from the interview added another dimension to his UFC 87 bout with Kenny Florian. Huerta had two fights left on his contract. A win gave him a nice bargaining chip at the negotiating table, while a loss potentially put his future in jeopardy.

Following the article’s release, UFC President Dana White was quick to counter Huerta’s claims, and said if anything, the outcome of the fight would have a lot to do with how happy Huerta was with his next contract.

Huerta did not come out ahead on Saturday night. Florian, an original contestant on the seminal reality series “The Ultimate Fighter,” fought a smart fight, never allowing Huerta to build any offensive momentum. When Florian struck, he scored points then circled away from danger.

Now removed from the question of the fight’s outcome, Huerta addressed the controversy at the UFC 87 post-fight press conference. But before he did so, he took a long, measured pause in front of reporters, smiling.

“I never bashed the UFC,” Huerta said, his smile fading. “I was never saying that the UFC is bad. If it wasn’t for them, if it wasn’t for their $40 million in the hole, you guys wouldn’t be here. We wouldn’t be here. We wouldn’t be looked at as professional athletes.”

Huerta implied that the interview’s contents, while not disputed, didn’t necessarily reflect the intent of his thoughts on how the UFC pays its fighters. He is grateful for all the UFC has done for him, but wants to make the right business decisions. In clarifying his comments, Huerta may have considered the possibility of playing the field when it comes to the next organization he fights for.

“All I was saying is that from a financial point of view, basically like a retirement plan or whatever, that I can only do this for so many years,” Huerta said. “You saw the fight today. Look at (Jon) Fitch. Look at myself. As a retirement plan, we can only do this for so long, and all I was saying, is that as a business decision – and you can’t argue about this – it’s in all businesses. If another company offers you something better for you and your family, you would do that. It’s the logical thing to do, and that’s all I was saying.”

Whether he regretted the interview or not, Huerta’s post fight comments walked a very thin line between apology and vindication. His bargaining chip is now gone, but he’s still a marketable commodity – that much is sure. After the fight, Florian was effusive in his praise for the Los Angeles native, saying he was the future of the sport. Huerta has one fight left for the UFC. Now, it’s a matter of the next contract he’s offered.

Feb 7, 2006
ST. PIERRE VS PENN MEGAFIGHT NEXT ON TAP

The life of a champion comes with many challenges including a seemingly never-ending list of opponents. It appears Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight kingpin Georges St. Pierre already has his next challenger laying in wait for him.

Following an exciting night of fights at UFC 87, company president Dana White confirmed to the media in attendance that current lightweight champion B.J. Penn would move back up to 170 pounds to face St. Pierre, with most speculation landing the bout on the UFC’s big year-end event in late December.

“They both really want that fight, they both want to fight each other,” said White during the UFC 87 post-fight press conference. “I’m going to let that fight happen and then I’ll figure out what we’re going to do at 155.”

White said “definitely” that St. Pierre’s next challenge would come from Penn, but despite rumors circling that the fight could take place in the champion’s hometown of Montreal, White responded, “probably not.”

St. Pierre, who adamantly stated that he would not duck any deserving challenger, seemed more than content to put his welterweight championship on the line with Penn.

“I want to be a real champion, I want to be the best in the world,” St. Pierre stated. “And to be the best in the world you need to fight the best in the world and I want to give a shot to everybody that deserves it. B.J. Penn deserves it, he’s an incredible fighter.”

Penn was said to be seen in the crowd at UFC 87 cheering on St. Pierre during his title defense against Jon Fitch. St. Pierre currently holds a win over Penn in 2006 via split decision.

St. Pierre mentioned during the press conference that many fighters, including Thiago Alves and EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields, as challengers that have also called him out recently, but Penn will get the next crack at the title.

“This is a big fight and they both want it and I think everybody wants to see it,” said UFC president Dana White about the upcoming bout between St. Pierre and Penn.

Feb 7, 2006
AFFLICTION ADDS IFL CHAMP ROY NELSON

In order for one thing to begin, another must usually end. Such is the case of the careers of the fighters who had been contracted to the International Fight League.

Three years after its debut, the company has ceased to be, and now many of their fighters have begun the process of finding a new home.

One of the more successful fighters to have transitioned to a new promotion is IFL heavyweight champion "Big Country" Roy Nelson, who recently agreed in principle to a deal to compete with the new Affliction promotion.

“We’re still filling out the minor details, but it does appear that way, yes,” said Nelson of his inclusion on Affliction’s Oct. 11 Las Vegas show.

“It’s going to be multi-fight, and I’ll be there as long as they want to keep having the best there.”

His main reason for joining the promotion is the fact that he has always strived to prove himself in the heavyweight division, and to do that he has to be where some of the top fighters in the weight class are.

“Affliction has the best heavyweights in the world, and I’ve got to go (there),” he explained. “The only way I can fight the best is to be where the best is.”

First up for Nelson will be a fighter who made his successful Affliction debut at their first show this past July.

“It’s going to be Paul Buentello,” he announced.

“He’s been around the block; he’s fought for the UFC heavyweight championship and been in there with the biggest names in there. He’s a gamer and he’s there to fight.”

This is the opportunity that Nelson has always wanted, and felt he’s been ready for, for quite some time.

“I’ve always believed that since I’ve been in the fight game. I’ve felt I could fight the best in the world, even if it was five fights ago,” he stated.

Speaking of his previous company, the IFL, Nelson believes it was a good place for him to gain the notoriety that ultimately led to his current situation to fight on Affliction’s pay-per-view events.

“They gave me some opportunities and a fan base where more people could experience how I fight and what kind of fighting style I actually have,” he said.

“It gave me an opportunity to hone my skills a little more, showcase them and the chance to go out there and display the best fighting that I have. Now, hopefully, I’ll just move up to bigger and better guys.”

Interestingly enough, not only does Nelson have his eye on the current heavyweights of Affliction, but another well-known fighter who has spoken about entering the division a couple of times over the years.

“The only side-track to the whole Affliction thing is, is that if Tito (Ortiz) does sign with Affliction, I want to be the first heavyweight he faces,” proclaimed Nelson. “If he can’t beat this fat boy, then he needs to stay down at 205 (pounds).”

First things first, however, for Nelson, his promotional debut in October; where he hopes to show the world that he is a legitimate contender in the heavyweight division and down the line add another belt to his collection.

“I appreciate everybody that’s stuck with me and kept on believing in me,” he closed out. “I can’t wait. It’s like an opportunity of a lifetime.”

“Anybody that’s out there that wants all the news, go to MMAWeekly or RoyNelson.com.”

Feb 7, 2006
Jeff Curran joining WEC’s bantamweight division

While speaking during the opening of his new fight gym in Crystal Lake, Ill. this past weekend, WEC competitor Jeff Curran made the announcement that he will be dropping down to promotion’s bantamweight division, according to an article on Sherdog.com.

Nicknamed “The Big Frog,” Curran is 30-10-1, according to Sherdog’s fight finder. He has competed for PRIDE, the IFL, and King of the Cage promotions in the past. Since returning to the WEC under Zuffa’s ownership, he has posted a 1-2 record.

After recording a unanimous decision victory over Stephen Ledbetter in his WEC debut at WEC 29, Curran fought WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber at WEC 31, where he tapped out to Faber in the second round due to a guillotine choke. He returned at WEC 34 in June, where he lost a unanimous decision to Mike Thomas Brown.

Curran is ranked as a top-ten featherweight by most of the top major websites but still believes that a move from 145 pounds to 135 pounds makes sense.

“I think that the fast pace and the real high technical level is a great fit for me,” Curran is quoted as saying. “The talent pool in that division is sick.”

The division’s talent pool currently includes WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres and top contenders such as former champion Chase Beebe, Brian Bowles, Manny Tapia, Yoshiro Maeda, Damacio Page, Antonio Banuelos, and Scott Jorgenson.

Feb 7, 2006
Long-Rumored "Fighting Fedor" Reality Show Coming Later This Year

Blue Entertainment Sports Television (BEST – www.experienceBEST.com) today announced the signing of top ranked Russian MMA fighter Fedor Emelianenko within their Fight Sports/MMA division. The world’s undisputed top heavyweight fighter, Fedor will look to BEST for his various marketing and television deals. In addition, BEST is the US representative of M-1 Global and will assist the company in television, sponsorships and strategic partnerships as well as promoting other M-1 fighters. Fedor joins the likes of fellow fighter Houston Alexander as well as A-list athletes such as Andy Roddick, Rasheed Wallace and Reggie Bush.

“I have been blessed with great success in my career and I’m excited to work with another company that also as similar drive,” says Fedor Emelianenko. “BEST is leading the industry in innovative branding for their clients and I am confident that they will assist me in reaching the next level.”

Fedor most recently became the first-ever W.A.M.M.A. heavyweight champion by beating former UFC Champion Tim Silvia in a surprising 36 second match which is largely recognized to be a classic in MMA history. The last person to hold the PRIDE heavyweight championship, Fedor made the unique choice to forego the largest promoter of mixed martial arts, the UFC, and sign a three fight deal with Affliction Promotions. Fedor has consistently made headlines with his unmatched talent and ability within the sport.

M-1 Global and BEST will launch a Fedor reality show entitled “Fighting Fedor” later this year to give an aspiring fighter the chance to train at the fabled Red Devil Fight Club in St Petersburg, Russia. The winner of the series will get the opportunity to fight Fedor. BEST will be also be distributing the M-1 Challenge worldwide this coming year, a series of 22 one-hour HD shows of the nation vs. nation mixed martial arts competition. The next challenge will take place in Korea.

“We are thrilled to be working with Fedor as he continuously showcases his growth in talent and success within the MMA space, “ says Dennis Spencer, Executive Vice President, BEST Television. “We look forward to building his marketability and presence within the United States and abroad as he defends his position at the top spot.”

Feb 7, 2006
Pedro Rizzo wants to win again

If Pedro Rizzo couldn’t start in Affliction with a victory, he took lessons from his loss to Josh Barnett for his next fight, against Ben Rothwell. “I came back to training before knowing if I was going to fight October 11th or not, but now I’m 100% confirmed and I’ll focus even more on that. The sad times after the loss has gone”, wrote the athlete in his personal blog, guaranteeing that he’ll make his future quite different from his start in the event. “I already studied why I lost and I won’t forget the reasons, so that I can’t make the same mistakes. I know it only depends on me, fight like I used to do and back with victories. I’ll be back, because fighting is what I love to do and the taste of victory is the best of all”, told Rizzo.

Feb 7, 2006
DreamFighters.com Exclusive Interview with Ken Shamrock

DreamFighters.com was lucky enough to be able to speak to Ken once again. Ken has done over 4 Interviews for us at DreamFighters.com, so we would like to take a moment to thank him.

DreamFighters.com: Ken thanks for talking to me at DreamFighters.com.
Ken Shamrock: You're welcome Adam, thank you for your support.

DreamFighters.com: How are things? Is your training going well?
Ken Shamrock: Things are great! Training is going well, just maintaining.

DreamFighters.com: How is the new Lions Den going?
Ken Shamrock: Lion's Den Scottsdale is doing very well, even better than our expectations.
We will be opening a new Lion's Den here in Reno soon and 4 more are going
up as we speak.

DreamFighters.com: Any news on the next fight for you? Who will you are fighting for?
Ken Shamrock: There's been talk about a few different fights...looking to do one more. The
last fight has to make sense. It will be one for the fans and one for the
ages.

DreamFighters.com: What did you think of your own Lions Den boy fighting at Affliction?
Ken Shamrock: It was great opportunity for Edwin and the Lion's Den; we very much
appreciate the opportunity with Affliction. We were the underdog and it was
a challenge. Unfortunately he didn't win, but in MMA there are ups and
downs. Edwin is a fighter, he'll come back strong.

DreamFighters.com: What did you think of Fedors 38 second win against Tim Sylvia?
Ken Shamrock: Obviously I would have liked to see it go longer and see Fedor get tested.
He needs to be matched with an opponent that will be able to test him. He is
an outstanding fighter.

DreamFighters.com: Ken, Royce Gracie spoke to us at DreamFighters.com and has said again
that he won both times, and you are not even in the same league as him. What
do you have to say about that? (Say whatever you want Ken)..
Ken Shamrock: You should go back and take a look at the tapes! The first time I fought
Royce, I was young and inexperienced. I didn't understand how the gi worked.
Royce caught me in a gi choke. When I came back the next time I beat the tar
out of him, they had to carry him out. If there wasn't a time limit, Royce
would have been a blood stain on the mat.

DreamFighters.com: Oleg Taktarov has been talking with us also, and has said great things
about your skill, and would like to fight you in the future, any desire to
fight him?
Ken Shamrock: Absolutely! Oleg is an outstanding person; he is very talented. I think it's
great that he has done so well with his acting career. He has done really
well for himself. Oleg is very skilled, but has been out of MMA for a long
time. He needs to get a couple of other fights under his belt. I think it
would be a mistake for him to come back and take me on first.

DreamFighters.com: Ken, once again, we all really appreciate you speaking to us at
DreamFighters.com
Ken Shamrock: Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time and I will see you in the ring
soon.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 87: Matt Hughes not impressed by your performance

Georges didn’t look as big as he has before and he seemed like he had gotten tired from the first round. Fitch had the game plan of countering Georges and you just can’t do that. You can’t counter a quicker fighter. To be honest, halfway in the third round I got up and walked out of the arena and went to my hotel. The fight wasn’t the most exciting and I wanted to get out of there before everyone else was getting up to leave.

– Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes comments via his official blog on the main event from UFC 87 ‘Seek and Destroy’ on August 9. The Hillsboro, Ill., native may have been recalling the post-fight remarks made by Georges St. Pierre after Hughes defeated BJ Penn at UFC 63, or he may have just been ‘extremely bored’ as he admits to getting at live events.