MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Akiyama Returns! Opponent Undecided

It was announced today that Yoshihiro Akiyama will return to the ring and make his DREAM debut at DREAM.5 on July 21st. An opponent has not been decided yet but it could be a fighter that has participated in the Middleweight GP (maybe Tamura if he heals until then).

HEIWA DREAM.5 Lightweight GP 2008 Final Round
Date: July 21st, 2008
Place: Osaka Jo Hall in Osaka, Japan

Featherweight Fight:
Norifumi Yamamoto vs. Joseph Benavidez

Middleweight Fight:
Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. TBA

Lightweight GP Final 4:
Tatsuya Kawajiri
Caol Uno
Eddie Alvarez
Shinya Aoki/Katsuhiko Nagata

Feb 7, 2006
Payout Opinion: Trump's Role With Affliction

As more news comes to the forefront about Donald Trump and his foray into the mixed martial arts business, the role of financier may not be the main duty he plays in working with Affliction. Cash is certainly a concern with the rumored payroll that is needed to put this event on, but even more important than the checkbook he brings to the table is his ability to serve as the event's face and salesman to the public. Without television as a tool to feed into their PPV, Trump's ability to open doors with the mass media will be key in garnering coverage for the Affliction event.

Trump enjoys an almost omnipresence when it comes to our mass media culture, from his Apprentice reality show to his paparazzi entourage that seemingly follows him in tow to his talk show appearances where ever and whenever he wants, he has an access to the media that is rivaled by few. In addition to this access he also lends an air of credibility that is often in short supply when considering the hype-men/promoters we currently are faced with in the mixed martial arts business.

The current leaders of MMA's top organizations often have a credibility gap when dealing with the mainstream media, while Trump offers a big business tested resume matched with a cunning, and at times cutting, wit that has taken him far in media circles. These attributes will help in selling Affliction and their brand of MMA. In the past he has made even the most banal of concepts palatable (his work with the WWE for one the past Wrestlemania shows) due to his own charisma and cult of personality. Having Trump as the face marketing your product is certainly head and shoulders above anything Affliction would have been capable of own their own to publicize their event, short of doing some massive time buys.

Feb 7, 2006
Exclusive: Arlovski Leaves UFC, Affliction Bound
videolink: http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videos.asp?v_id=1616
"The Pitbull" has found a new home.

Ending months of silence, former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski (Pictures) speaks to Sherdog.com news editor Loretta Hunt in this exclusive video interview to announce his signing with the Affliction promotion for three fights, beginning with a July 19 bout against former IFL standout Ben Rothwell (Pictures).

The Belarusian striker also discusses his departure from the UFC after eight memorable years and eyes the heavyweight picture outside the Octagon's walls.

Feb 7, 2006
Miguel Torres welcomes WEC rematch with Yoshiro Maeda

Days after successfully defending his WEC bantamweight title for the first time, Miguel Torres (34-1) can't wait to step back in the cage for another war with the man he defeated Sunday night, Yoshiro Maeda (23-5-2)

Torres reflected on the bout while a guest on Tuesday's edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"He's a guy that I would love to fight again," Torres said about Maeda. "We're going to have to fight again, for the fans' and for our sakes. He didn't want the fight to stop. He's a warrior, and he wanted to keep going. He just couldn't see out of his eye. We'll for sure have to do it again in the future."

While the Urijah Faber-Jens Pulver main event received the bulk of the promotion and attention heading into WEC 34, Torres and Maeda put on an exciting back-and-forth battle that some are saying deserves to be considered among the best of the year. Torres eventually earned the victory when Maeda's battered and swollen right eye forced the cage-side doctor to put a halt to the action at the conclusion of the third round.

Torres explained that, though the fight did not go as expected, the Indiana native was pleased with the outcome.

"The fight didn't go the way I planned it," Torres said. "I knew it was going to be a war. I wanted it to be a little bit more cleaner fight than that, but my emotions got the better of me. [Maeda] cut me real early in the fight, and I just kind of went crazy after that, man. My whole game plan went out the window until the third round. It was an exciting fight, just a little sloppy in the beginning. But the fans really liked it, and I was happy to be able to defend my belt in such a style like that."

The 27-year-old said the blood that trickled down his face in the first round stirred his emotions, and it caused Torres to move forward with near-reckless abandon.

"That logo in the center (of the cage) was real slippery," Torres said. "I threw that first kick, and when he caught it, I slipped. And I think he clipped me with a punch. It wasn't a full blow, but it was a glancing one, and he cut me right open. No one's ever made me bleed my own blood like that, so I kind of went crazy."

As the fight continued Torres was able to regain his composure and begin to execute his initial strategy.

"I calmed down; I got my rhythm going," Torres said. "[Maeda] was a little tricky, dropping his hands. I knew he likes to drop his hands to get guys to come in, and he would catch them with a big knee or a big kick. So I caught that whole tricky game of his."

Torres, who used his long reach and quick jab to frustrate his opponent, said he made the decision to engage Maeda in a stand-up battle after hearing that some fans felt the challenger would be able to earn a knockout victory.

"I had a couple buddies that are always on [the online forums], and they were telling me about [those fans' predictions]," Torres said. "[My friends] said, 'Dude, they're saying this guy's going to knock you out.' I was like 'There' no way he's going to knock me out. ... I wasn't pissed, but I was a little hurt with that. I was like, 'Dude, I've got pretty good stand-up.' That was another thing in the back of my head why I stood up with him, too, because I wanted to shut a couple of people up."

With another victory in the books, his 15th in a row, Torres now believes the WEC will try again to put together a match-up with undefeated challenger Manny Tapia. Afterward, Torres hopes to face Maeda again. Regardless of the opponent, the bantamweight champion knows he must be ready to perform at the highest level at all times.

"Every guy that I fight from now on is going to give me that fight the way Maeda did," Torres said. "He's going to bring 100 percent of his game. He's going to train to beat me. He's not jut going to show up, and it's going to be a fight. It's going to be a world title fight every time."

Feb 7, 2006
Trump Talks Affliction Partnership

NEW YORK -- Donald Trump plans to bring money and attention to Affliction's MMA events, the real estate mogul said Thursday at a news conference held to announce his partnership with the clothing company turned promoter.

"I've got a lot of money," Trump told a room filled with journalists on the 25th floor of Trump Tower. "That helps, right? But also and perhaps more importantly, I seem to get a lot of attention. For instance, if I wasn't here today, you might have maybe one writer. And now the place is packed."

Trump said he had been discussing a partnership with Affliction for six months.

"It's really something that I'm doing because I enjoy doing it," he said. "If we make money, that's great. I think we will. I think it will be successful. What I do is usually successful."

As evidence Trump cited his experience hosting some of Mike Tyson's biggest fights as well as his success with the WWE's Vince McMahon. He also put his partnership with Affliction in perspective.

"It's financial, but it's not a very big deal for me," he said. "When you build a billion-dollar building like I'm doing in Dubai and lots of other places, that's a much bigger financial commitment."

Twice Trump said Affliction has the best fighters in MMA. It was no accident that a phone call interrupted the conference to back up that claim.

Former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski (Pictures) was on the line via speakerphone.

"Hello, Andrei," Trump said. "You think this was a setup? This has got to be the worst setup I've ever seen."

The room broke into laughter.

"We're having a very successful press conference," Trump told Arlovski. "A lot of people showed up. Who knows what they're going to write? Who the hell cares? It ultimately doesn't matter as long as they write."

Arlovski thanked Trump and confirmed his fight with Ben Rothwell (Pictures) for Affliction's July 19 debut event in Anaheim, Calif.

Trump also threw Tito Ortiz (Pictures)'s name into the mix after referencing the ratings success of "The Apprentice" on NBC, a show on which Ortiz appeared.

"We'll probably be asking Tito to come along also," Trump said. "We have many, many great fighters, but we'll be asking Tito to come along."

Ortiz, a former UFC light heavyweight champion, lost a decision to Lyoto Machida (Pictures) on May 24 in what is believed to be his last fight in the UFC. His ongoing feud with UFC President Dana White has received constant attention.

Trump would not criticize White when given the opportunity Thursday.

"I have great respect for Dana White," he said. "Some of the people in the room may not like him. I like him and I think he's done a very good job."

At the same time, Trump said the addition of another powerful promoter is a positive move for the sport.

"If there's only one organization," he said, "you can pay the fighters five dollars and they'll be happy to fight."

Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio (Pictures) stood beside Trump while he spoke. The juxtaposition made for a stark contrast: Trump in a suit and Atencio in designer jeans with a chain hanging down his leg.

An odd partnership perhaps but one that has plans for MMA nonetheless.

"I think there are things we can do to make this very, very exciting," Trump said. "And my fights have always been very exciting, even when I'm fighting with businesspeople."

Feb 7, 2006
"Razor Rob" wants WEC title-fight rematch with Jamie Varner

WEC lightweight "Razor" Rob McCullough (16-4) was able to avenge the first loss of his career with a split-decision victory over Kenneth Alexander this past Sunday night. Now the 31-year-old hopes to avenge a more stinging defeat: the February loss of his WEC lightweight title to Jamie Varner.

McCullough talked about his victory and a shot at redemption on Tuesday's edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"It felt great," McCullough said of his performance. "At one point I realized I got this fight, dude. He's moving backward and away from me. I wanted to rush in and clip him. You know, do something stupid. Then I went, 'Eh, I'll just wait for him to shoot and try and knee him in the face.'"

The cautious performance earned the Huntington Beach fighter the victory, but it did little to win over the fans in attendance. McCullough said he was too focused to notice the booing coming from the ARCO Arena seating.

"In smaller arenas, when I fight it seems like I can hear people in the crowd," McCullough explained. "I hear random people saying stuff and I can really listen to them. And before, I'd hear booing and I'd be like, 'Oh, I've got to pick up the pace here.' And that's when I would do something like a flying punch or something. I kind of was like so in the zone for this one. I was so focused that I kind of cut everything out when the bell rang. ... So, everything went out the window, and I was zoned in on him, and I didn't really hear too much. So that was kind of a good thing."

McCullough attributed the slow pace of the fight to Alexander's unwillingness to engage.

"[Alexander] is awkward; I give him that," McCullough said. "He didn't fight orthodox. He kept moving his hands all weird. He didn't throw any combinations. ... He didn't really want to fight, though. It was more back-peddling on roller skates. It's hard for me to plant and try to get anything solid. When he did stop, I would kick him, and then he would move again."

With the win, McCullough feels he is close to earning a shot at reclaiming the belt he once held. And he knows exactly who he'd like to beat in order to get it.

"I'd like to get another 'W' and go for that belt," McCullough said. "(And) I'd like to get it from Jamie Varner if he can hold on to it. I'd like to rematch that guy for sure."

Feb 7, 2006
Despite injury, Chuck Liddell moving on and headed to London

Even for someone without a serious leg injury, a 10-hour trans-Atlantic flight is uncomfortable. For a guy with a significantly torn right hamstring, being holed up in a plane for that long is the equivalent of torture.

But Chuck Liddell is making that trip with that kind of leg because the former UFC light heavyweight champion feels he owes it to the British mixed martial arts fans to make an appearance at UFC 85 in London's O2 Arena on Saturday.

At one time, UFC 85 was looking as if it might be one of the cards of the year. With a main event of Liddell against Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, it almost didn't matter who was on the rest of the card.

But this has been one of the most star-crossed cards in the sport's history. First, Rua had to pull out with a leg injury. Liddell was then supposed to face Rashad Evans in the main event.

Liddell then had to withdraw himself when he tore his right hamstring during a wrestling drill while training.

But he decided to make the trip because he didn't want to create the impression among British fans he didn't want to fight in the U.K.

"I had a vacation planned after this fight anyway, and so it worked out great for me," Liddell said. "I didn't want people to think I didn't want to fight over there. It's not like I faked an injury or anything to get out of it.

"You know how much I love to fight. If I could fight, I would be fighting. And I don't care where. But by going over, I can at least let the fans know I appreciate them and the way they support this sport."

That attitude is almost nonexistent among athletes in other sports and it is one of the primary reasons why the sport is rapidly gaining in popularity.

The fans have access to the major stars in the sport unlike in any other. No star is bigger in MMA than Liddell, who remains as normal and down to earth as he was the day he started.

Liddell's long-time rival, Tito Ortiz, recently fought the last bout on his UFC contract and said he won't return. Ortiz said he's going to sign elsewhere to take a stand on behalf of other fighters in order to protest low pay and oppressive working conditions.

"The Iceman," though, scoffed at Ortiz's argument that he was worried about his fellow fighters.

"I know Tito for a long time and I probably know him as well as anyone, and I can guarantee you this: If Tito is doing something, he's not doing it for anyone else; he's doing it for himself," Liddell said. "Tito wants what he can get for himself. That's all he's worried about. He doesn't care about anyone else, as long as he gets his."

Although Ortiz left the UFC because of a dispute with UFC president Dana White, and because heavyweight champion Randy Couture is in the midst of a lawsuit with the company, Liddell said he doesn't sense any feeling of widespread unhappiness among the company's fighters.

He said it became a lucrative business for him in May 2001, when he fought Kevin Randleman and Guy Mezger and earned $60,000.

"That's a lot of money, and it's only gotten better," Liddell said.

But Liddell is hardly the type who fights for money. He's a gunslinger who was just as happy when he was fighting for $1,000 a bout as he is now when he's making millions.

He said he expects to be ready to fight by the fall and is eager to get into the cage with another big name like Rua, Wanderlei Silva or light heavyweight champion Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.

Jackson has beaten Liddell twice and lifted the UFC light heavyweight title from him at UFC 71 last year with a dramatic first-round technical knockout.

Liddell lost again later in the year to Keith Jardine via split decision before rebounding to defeat Silva at UFC 79 in December. The Liddell-Silva fight was a stirring toe-to-toe battle that enhanced the reputation of both the winner and the loser.

No doubt, though, that Liddell's reputation will be enhanced in the U.K., at least, when he makes the nearly 6,000-mile trek from his home in California to sit at a fight card he's not competing on.

To Liddell, it's no big thing. But to White, one of Liddell's closest friends and biggest boosters, it's one of the many reasons why he's as close to a mainstream star as there is in MMA today.

"Chuck doesn't big-time anybody," White said. "If anybody in the UFC had the stature to big-time someone, it would be Chuck. But he's a guy who understands that the fans are what make this sport and they're the ones who are helping it grow and he appreciates them for that. Chuck is one of the guys who definitely gets it. He has everything in the proper perspective."

Feb 7, 2006
Follow Up on UFC Cease and Desist to Tito

A quick follow-up on yesterday's story regarding the UFC sending Tito Ortiz a cease and desist regarding his use of the UFC title on his book cover. Per the Zuffa standard contract, this is an open and shut case:

Unless Fighter receives prior written approval from ZUFFA, Fighter shall not utilize any of ZUFFA’s intellectual property rights, including, but not limited to, the names and marks “Ultimate Fighting Championship,” the “Octagon,” “Ultimate Fighting,” “Ultimate Fighter,” and any logos, pictures or other representations of ZUFFA’s intellectual property. Without limiting the scope of this prohibition, Fighter expressly agrees to not use an UFC championship belt without the prior written approval of ZUFFA, and further agrees that any such belt he obtains is on loan and will at all times remain the property of ZUFFA. Upon ZUFFA’s written request, the belt must be returned within forty-eight (48) hours to ZUFFA. (emphasis added)

Feb 7, 2006
NATE MARQUARDT'S UFC 85 FIGHT JOURNAL PT. 5

It's Wednesday night here in lovely London, England where I will be fighting Thales Leites on Saturday night. We arrived Tuesday morning and I am still fighting the jet lag, but I expect it to be gone by Friday.

I went to a gym where my friend, Rob Sulski, runs a grappling class. I did my little fight week workout to get the blood flowing and stretched out. My coaches Trevor Wittman and Greg Jackson will get in tomorrow and another friend, James Zikic, will meet me at the hotel.

I am not one of those guys who needs a big entourage, but it is nice to be around my brothers in arms before a fight.

At this point my main goals are to keep focused, stay relaxed, rest, and keep my weight down. I will start doing little tricks of the trade tomorrow to get my weight down. Then Friday, I will wake up, check my weight, and hit the sauna.

I will probably wake up at about 192 and only have to cut 6 or 7 pounds. It will be easy and then I will enjoy a nice dinner afterward.

Then it's on to watch a movie, relax and go to bed, because on Saturday the fun begins!!!

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
That's what's awesome about UFC right now, we'll see. Guida wins and he's obviously finally a top contender, Mac wins and he's a legit factor. Can't wait for that fight. I think it was supposed to be at UFC 87 but Guida's camp said no, so it's either not happening or it'll be pushed back to 88/89.

Feb 7, 2006
VIDEO: DONALD TRUMP & AFFLICTION PARTNER IN MMA
videolink: http://videos.mmaweekly.com/view_player.php?id=2582
Affliction on Thursday held a press conference in New York, with reporters elbow to elbow and camera flashes bursting non-stop, centering around one man that not long ago would seem one of the most unlikely figures to become immersed in mixed martial arts… Donald J. Trump.

With Affliction, a popular clothing brand, throwing it’s proverbial hat into the MMA ring – or cage as it were – many have questioned the company’s wherewithal to be successful in a market dominated by the American juggernaught, the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Although he’s not experienced in the sport, Trump adds a significant amount of promotional clout to Affliction’s fledgling effort.

“I understand partners and partnerships and the group from Affliction is fantastic, the fighters are great,” said Trump at the conference held in his own Trump Tower in New York, explaining his entry into the mixed martial arts business. “I really think July 19 is going to be an amazing event, and then we’ll have many others after that. MMA is really something that is happening. It’s happening big league. It’s happening quickly.”

Obviously, anytime “The Donald” is involved, it’s about business, but on Thursday, he indicated a large portion of that business, at least in regards to him, is image and drawing power.

“Well, number one, I’ve got a lot of money. That helps, right?” quipped the billionaire businessman. “But also, and perhaps more importantly, I seem to get a lot of attention. For instance, if I wasn’t here today, you’d have maybe one writer and now the place is packed.

“You can have great fights; if you don’t get the ratings, it’s irrelevant. And I’ve always been a big ratings machine.”

Another attention getter – and one more instantly super-glued to MMA’s collective conscious – is Tito Ortiz, someone that Trump sounds interested in attempting to lure into his new project.

“Our recent version of The Apprentice, which was actually Celebrity Apprentice, had Tito Ortiz on it. He did fantastically well. He’s a great guy. We’ll probably be asking Tito to come along as well, also,” he stated.

Aside from the promotional aspect of the partnership, it is not yet clear how involved Trump will be in the Affliction organization, but he seems to plan on a long-term commitment regardless of his role.

“I think over the years a lot of things will happen. This will be a much different organization; this will be a whole different sport in terms of … how it’s incorporated. This will be a much different formula in a year from now than it is now. What it’s going to look like, I don’t know. How it’s going to look, I don’t know. But it will be different.”

With the current breakneck growth of the sport, the changes seem to be coming on a daily basis. The UFC has continued to push the ceiling higher and higher, EliteXC made the first major impact of a live MMA event on network television with its CBS debut, and now The Donald is a cog in the MMA machine.

Feb 7, 2006
NO BROKEN FOOT, SCOTT SMITH LOOKS TO REMATCH

Despite previous reports that EliteXC middleweight fighter Scott Smith broke his foot during his bout with Robbie Lawler last Saturday night, MMAWeekly.com has confirmed that he suffered no break and will not miss any time with an injury.

Smith confirmed the news himself when he appeared on MMAWeekly Radio Wednesday night.

“I got x-rays yesterday, no breaks, no cracks, nothing. My foot’s good to go,” he stated.

After the fight ended, Smith limped to the post fight press conference and, at the time, he thought he was dealing with a broken foot, but upon further examination the injury will heal up fairly quickly.

“The night of the fight, I could barely walk on it. By the next day I was walking pretty good, and I’m completely walking normal now,” said Smith. “It’s black and blue all the way above my ankle and pretty swollen, but the doctor said no breaks, so he just said, ‘quit kicking people in the elbow.’”

Following an epic fight with Lawler at the first ever CBS-EliteXC Saturday Night Fights card, Smith says he will take a week off to spend some time with his children and then he will head back into the gym to prepare for his rematch with the champion.

While no official announcement has been made, EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw mentioned that the next CBS show would likely take place in late summer or early fall, and Smith believes he and Lawler will be the headline fight.

“They said for sure we’re rematching, we’ll be a main event at a CBS card type thing. It will be good,” he commented. “September, October is what I’m told.”

After a brief break from action, Smith also said he would be traveling to Thailand to train and get ready for his rematch with Lawler where he hopes this time to go home as the new EliteXC middleweight champion.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 85: HUGHES NOT LOOKING PAST ALVES

What do Georges St. Pierre, Royce Gracie, B.J. Penn, Sean Sherk, and Hayato “Mach” Sakurai all have in common?

Besides at one time or another being considered at or hair-splittingly near the top of their respective weight classes, Matt Hughes has defeated them all. No matter how you cut it, that’s an impressive resume. It doesn’t stop there, however. Other fighters the Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran has defeated include men like Frank Trigg, Chris Lytle, Joe Riggs, Carlos Newton, Dave Menne, Renato “Charuto” Verissimo, Gil Castillo, and numerous others.

The 34-year-old native of Hillsboro, Ill., where he still lives with his wife Audra, son Joey, and daughter Hanna Grace, has won the UFC welterweight championship on two separate occasions, defending it seven times, en route to a 42-6 professional record.

It’s safe to say that Matt Hughes has been a successful fighter.

But heading into Saturday’s UFC 85 in London, Hughes is in a rather uncharacteristic position, having lost two out his last three bouts, both to current welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre, and looking for a win. But don’t read too much into that, according to Hughes, he’s nowhere near the end of his rope.

“I’m 34 years old and I’m definitely not done yet,” he said in a recent media conference call. “Randy (Couture) is 43 and if I was 43, I'd be looking at retirement. I’m still very healthy. Right now, I actually feel great.

“Sometimes people say 'hey Matt, you've won the title nine times, you can't gain anything from beating somebody. I disagree. I think that a win over Thiago is definitely something I'm going to put on my resume as a fighter.”

He added, “I've still got many fights left in me. I’ve got two more fights on my contract counting the Thiago fight. By no means am I going to retire before my contract is over and I'm probably not going to retire afterwards. I feel that I have three or four fights left in me.”

Hughes recently opened a new gym, the H.I.T. Squad Gym, in Granite City, Ill., just outside of St. Louis, Mo. One of the instructors there is his teammate, EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler, who also had a fight on the recent CBS-EliteXC Saturday Night Fights event. The timing was perfect for Hughes in his preparations for Thiago Alves and UFC 85.

“It’s been great for me to get ready for my fight. When you've got two teammates like Robbie and I as close as we are in weight and athletics, it really works out good. I've always got somebody that pushes me and I'm going to push right back at him for him to get ready for his fight,” said Hughes.

Despite initial plans to have faced another former UFC champion in Matt Serra, a man that Hughes has developed somewhat of a feud with over the past year or two, he remains focused on the task at hand.

“The UFC needed somebody to step in and take over a lead role over in England. Chuck got hurt and they looked at Thiago and I to take a fight and kind of scratch their backs, so that's why I did it,” explained for former champ.

“I’m not worried about (a fourth bout with St. Pierre). Right now I’m not even worried about Matt Serra. What I’m worried about is Thiago. Thiago I'm sure is not looking down the road. He's got me right now.”

Hughes knows that, despite his pedigree, he has a difficult task ahead in Alves. The American Top Team product is coming into this fight only two months removed from a win over Top 10 fighter Karo Parisyan. Hughes, known for his cardio, sees that as a plus for Alves, not a minus.

“He’s coming off of a fight here pretty recent, so he's already in shape when he got the call to fight. I don’t know that there’s going to be an advantage (for me) cardio wise or not.”

Whether others feel that Hughes has an advantage over Alves or not, Hughes’ experience is telling him not to look past the 24-year-old Brazilian. He knows he has to be on top of his game to get past a fighter that he shows great respect for.

“Thiago has very good takedown defense and he does a very good job mixing his striking with his takedown defense, so that's one thing I've really got to be aware of. But you know, I can be relentless if I need to be,” says Hughes.

“Thiago is a great opponent. He's somebody that if I get a win over Thiago, I’m definitely going to put that on my resume. He just knocked out Karo Parisyan, who I don't think, that I know of, has ever been knocked out (before).”

Regardless of who wins the battle at UFC 85, Hughes, whose team gear sports the slogan “Army of The One,” doesn’t appear to be ready to cede the war anytime soon.

“I'm very healthy right now, no aches and pains or nagging injuries. I feel great. I've got many more fights under my belt.”