MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Rickson Gracie and Georges St. Pierre at Jungle Fight

The name changed from Qualifying to Warriors, but Jungle Fight showed good fights, as happened on the others editions. At the event that was hold at Minotauro Team Train Center , at Rio de Janeiro, on May 31st, the UFC champion Georges St. Pierre, the Jiu-Jitsu legend Rickson Gracie, Rogério Minotouro and many others names from the fight meet each other outside the Jungle octagon to wath the night’s fights.

Feb 7, 2006
DIEGO SANCHEZ: BJ WOULD BE THE FIGHT I WANT THE MOST

"I gotta stay at 170. I look forward to rematches with Fitch and Koscheck...the big fights are Hughes, St-Pierre and BJ and BJ walks around about 165-170 in shape. I walk around 175-177. BJ would actually be the fight I want the most so we'll see what happens," stated UFC welterweight contender Diego Sanchez as he made it clear that although he's looking forward to avenging his losses, he'd rather do it as a champion and he hopes to get a shot at the title as soon as possible. Check out what else he had to say as he talks more about BJ Penn, Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck, Georges St-Pierre, his training for his upcoming clash with Luigi Fioravanti at The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale and much more.

Feb 7, 2006
EVAN TANNER: "HE DOESN'T LIKE PRESSURE"

"I've looked at Kendall's fights. From what I can tell, he doesn't like pressure. He likes to get out there and dance a little bit; kind of more laid back, more slower-paced fight. The guys that really pressure him hard do real well against him so that's really what I'm looking to do," stated former UFC middleweight champion Evan Tanner as he talked about his upcoming clash with Kendall Grove at The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale. Check out what else he had to say as he talks more about the fight and reflects back on his career and the differences between today's fighters

Feb 7, 2006
"MR. INTERNATIONAL" PREPS FOR STRIKEFORCE FIGHT
link: http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content2773.html?PHPSESSID=2a2ba8e9ac56466f2ad01ca0bccf4e46
"Mr. International" Shonie Carter (39-17-7), a star on Black Entertainment Television (B.E.T.)'s new "Iron Ring" mixed martial arts (MMA) reality series, will return to the cage to battle rising star, Luke Stewart (5-1), in a welterweight (170 lb. limit) showdown at Strikeforce's "Melendez vs. Thomson" mega-fight card on Friday, June 27th.

Feb 7, 2006
In The Gym: Marcus Davis Preps for UFC 85
videlink: http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videos.asp?v_id=1615
Sherdog.com's Greg Savage and Dave Mandel sat down with Marcus Davis (Pictures) to discuss his bout against Mike Swick (Pictures) this weekend at UFC 85.

In this exclusive look into the welterweight's training camp, the "Irish Hand Grenade" shares his thoughts on how the contest will unfold.

Feb 7, 2006
The Korean Wave

Korea is currently emancipating itself after suffering from the effects of the Korean Conflict for decades. All the more since the 2002 FIFA World Cup, during which Korea co-hosted together with Japan, and where the Koreans presented themselves as congenial and hospitable people, keen on sports and forward-looking. In the next five years, a real "Korea boom" struck all of Asia, including music, movies and consumer electronics.

This cultural phenomenon, dubbed the "Korean Wave" by Chinese journalists, reached its peak when Korean drama series "Winter Sonata" became a huge success in Japan. As a result, leading man Bae Yong Jun is now a big star in the "land of the rising sun" and the top-earning actor outside of Hollywood. Meanwhile on the electronics front, Korean companies like Samsung and LG have become so dominant, that they have virtually forced Nokia - the world's largest manufacturer of mobile phones - out of Asia.

The fight industry may be set for its own Korean wave. At UFC 84, Dong Hyun Kim looked impressive while stopping Jason Tan in the third round. But the search for a Korean MMA star began in late 2003. The main obstacle in their search goes back to the fact that traditional Korean martial arts - Taekwondo, Hapkido and Ssireum - have proven to be mostly unsuitable for mixed martial arts.

Nonetheless the two big powerhouse promotions at that time, Fighting & Entertainment Group (FEG) and Dream Stage Entertainment (DSE) continued their search for a Korean top ace to milk the booming Korean market. The main supporters of this idea were Korean natives: former Pride Fighting Championships owner Kim Dok-Soo and Hero's Akira Maeda (Pictures).

Pride presented its first Korean fighter in February of 2004 when Mu Bae Choi (Pictures) made his debut. A solid wrestler from Team Tackle in Seoul, Choi was fed a couple of tune-up opponents before being smashed by former heavyweight top contender Sergei Kharitonov (Pictures) in his sixth fight with the promotion and subsequently let go.

K-1 waited until their prestigious New Year's Eve show "Dynamite!!" before they revealed their Korean hopeful for the first time. In Yoshihiro Akiyama (Pictures), they not only managed to sign a highly decorated judoka who had won several gold medals at the Asian Games, but also a so-called "Zainichi Korean."

"Zainichi" is a term commonly used for an ethnic Korean who was born in Japan. As a result, FEG had gotten a fighter with the potential to be a big star both in Japan as well as Korea -- where he goes under the name Chu Seoung Hoon.

Akiyama went on to become the most successful Korean fighter to date, but also a most controversial one. He was twice involved in bouts that were changed to no-contests after they had ended.

Another man who would eventually become the most popular fighter in Korean history appeared in the K-1 ring just three months after Akiyama. At 7-foot-2 and 325 pounds, Hong-Man Choi really is larger than life. The "Techno Goliath" made the switch from Ssireum, Korea's equivalent to sumo wrestling, to kickboxing in early 2005. Choi proved to be an instant hit, winning the K-1 World Grand Prix in Seoul in his first appearance.

In the years ahead, the Korean colossus defeated former mega star Bob Sapp (Pictures) inside the ring and also took the Beast's place as the company's primary Asian draw. He also was one of only two men to chalk up a win over Semmy Schilt (Pictures), who has been kickboxing's dominant fighter for the past three years.

At the same Yarennoka show Akiyama was fighting in, Choi was matched up with Pride heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures). In only his second MMA fight, he gave the "Russian Emperor" a couple of bruises, before succumbing to a first-round armbar.

Most recently, the 27-year-old has been in the news for being drafted into the Korean army. Because of a brain tumor that affects his vision, he has been exempted from service for the time being. If he is deemed fit at a later physical, he will be away from the fight game for twenty-four months. Even if he discharged for good, it is unlikely that the hugely popular giant will return to the ring this year.

With Choi out of action, other Korean fighters are in demand. A true late bloomer is Dong Sik Yoon (Pictures). After four consecutive defeats in Pride, Yoon was already declared a failure in MMA despite being one of the most dominant judokas of the 1990's. Yoon reversed his fortunes by switching to rival promotion Hero's. Winning his next four fights, the 35-year-old is currently among the elite eight of the Dream middleweight grand prix.

Already eliminated from the 185 pound tournament is Denis Kang (Pictures). The son of a Korean father and a French mother may very well be the most unlucky fighter in recent memory. A super star in Spirit MC, Korea's biggest mixed martial arts league, Kang has come close to stardom in Japan on numerous occasions.

A fighter who still has his future ahead of him is talented featherweight Un Sik Song. At 5-foot-10, the lanky 22-year-old is huge for the 145-pound division. The "Tornado" doesn't train with any of the big teams in Seoul, but at Daegu Academy in the southeast of the country. He combines aggressive kickboxing with solid submission skills and boasts a 7-0 record. At the current rate, it is only a matter of time before he is picked up by either Dream or World Victory Road.

Feb 7, 2006
Rob Kaman 'The Dutchman'

'Mr. Low - Kick' recently took some time to speak with PDG about his career, K-1, modern day mixed martial arts, training fighters and what the future holds for the former World Champion Kick-boxer.

PDG: Since you retired from fighting, what has life been like for the 'Dutchman'?
Kaman: I just moved from California to Miami, Florida. I am planning on working with the UFC heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and eventually open up a couple of gyms down here. I am also looking into opening up a restaurant and lounge. My son and I are just really enjoying Miami, the people here are more real and less plastic than in California. I'm also working with Heath Herring for his upcoming fight with Brock Lesnar. The planned in the near future is to also have a type of beginner kick-boxing training available on DVD or over the Internet.

PDG: Besides Herring and Noguira, what other fighters are you working with?
Kamen: I am probably going to be working with Anderson Silva depending on whether or not he trains here in Miami or stays in Brazil.

PDG: Tell me a little bit more about this online training project you are working on.
Kaman: It is a basic training course for beginners that they can start at home. I will provide them with the knowledge that they will need before they go to a gym. A lot of men and women have the desire to do some type of self-defense training and/or kick-boxing but right now there isn't really an introductory tool to get them comfortable with it, so that they will feel comfortable when they go to the gym. I want to focus on that and make it available either online, DVD or infomercial.

PDG: What are your thoughts on Herring’s upcoming fight with Lesnar?
Kaman: The plan will be to keep the fight standing but we will definitely be working on grappling and wrestling. It is going to be a really good fight.

PDG: What differences do you see in K-1 now as opposed to when you were still competing?
Kaman: I don't follow it much anymore, it has become a bit of a circus as far as I am concerned. There is a group of fighters that they just use over and over and over again. There is not a lot of differences but like I said, I'm 100% committed to the people that I train and other than that I don't pay much attention to it. Don’t get wrong....I love K-1 and it will always be a part of my life.

PDG: Since you're more involved in MMA now; what do you think tonight's EliteXC-CBS fights?
Kaman: I just talked to Kimbo [Slice] and Bas Rutten. I haven't really looked at the whole card yet but the Kimbo fight should be a very good one to watch. I think it is a big step for the sport being on network TV. I only hope that the organizations will be able to pay the fighters better going forward. I get sick of hearing the UFC talk about how they are a $2 billion company and yet they still pay their fighters like Shit.

PDG: At UFC 84 last weekend, the fighter salaries totaled over $1 million.
Kaman: Yeah, and you know how much the UFC made last weekend? It is ridiculous that the fighters go in there and risk everything and get paid shit. You have Dana White and his Ferrari’s and his bullshit. He doesn't even know what training and fighting is, I hate that. In the end, the fighters are the ones that make the show and so if you're going to brag about your position, than you should treat the fighters better. Dana White is nothing but bullshit.

PDG: The Ultimate Fighter show is giving fighters a chance to earn their way into the UFC. So you must like the show since it gives fighters opportunities that they may not have otherwise.
Kaman: They asked me to be on that show twice. Yes, it's a great opportunity for the fighters and it gives MMA a lot of exposure to the fans.

PDG: Away from fighting, you've been in a couple of different movies; are you working on any new projects?
Kaman: I am writing some new scripts right now.

PDG: You have worked with Don “the Dragon” Wilson, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Billy Banks and Dennis Rodman. Which one of the four would be the best fighter in the real world?
Kaman: For sure it would have to be Don Wilson. Billy Banks did some things with tae-bo but that is about it and Dennis Rodman is not even a fighter....he is not a fighter all, in fact I don't know what he is. Don is definitely the one that would have a realistic chance at being successful.

PDG: You didn't mention anything about Van Damme.
Kaman: [laughs]....I have no comment on that one.

PDG: One of your past opponents from K-1; Rick Roufus; recently made the switch from kick-boxing to MMA. What do you think of his chances of being successful making the transition at this stage in his career?
Kaman: He is a really good stand-up fighter, not so much a natural kick-boxer. It is really going to depend on how his grappling skills. I think he will do reasonably well but he will never be able to take on the big guys in the sport. I could be wrong though.

PDG: What was the greatest fight of your career?
Kaman: The fight with Ernesto Hoost because it was more of a chess match. He was considered one of the best fighters of his time and I beat him when I was widely considered the underdog in the fight. That was a memorable fight for everyone and I was able to knock him out in the fifth round.

PDG: Most kick-boxing fans think that is the best fight ever fought in Holland.
Kaman: I would have to agree. It was a beautiful match, very technical and the fans really appreciated the performance by both of us. The whole flight was back and forth until the knockout.

PDG: When you were fighting, did you ever see any evidence of corruption in K-1?
Kaman: I don't know for sure....that is why I tried to KO all of my opponents, because then there is no question. [laughs] You don't have to worry about any corruption if the fight doesn't go to a decision.

PDG: I am going to give you three fighters’ names; give me your thoughts on each one.

Mirko ‘Cro-Cop’:

Kaman: I don't know, the way he was fighting in Japan before he came to the UFC was very....I don't want to accuse him of anything but he was obviously a very different fighter and person. He was a completely different guy when he fought in the UFC. He was not half of the fighter that I saw before and when he fought Cheick Kongo, he looked nothing like he did in Japan. Either he is just not motivated anymore or maybe there are some other reasons for the decline in his performance.

Semmy Schilt:

Kaman: What is there to say about this guy? He is a great fighter, tall and he has great length – reach that empower him against most of his opponents. His size and fighting style makes him a very hard opponent for anyone, I have not seen all of his fights but he is hard-core.

Mark Hunt:

Kaman: I love the man as a person, he is a great guy and a real good fighter. But his disadvantage has always been his size, he has very little reach and so he is forced to always come in to his opponent to look for strikes. His weight and his size don't match, so he takes a lot of punishment in fights trying to get inside, but like I said he is a great guy and he is one of the better fighters out there.

PDG: Where do you see yourself at in five years?
Kaman: I'll probably still be connected to mixed martial arts in some form or another. I'm really hoping on opening a couple of gyms - studios to teach men, women and children self-defense.

PDG: What have you changed about your life since you retired?
Kaman: I have changed my outlook on life, I now love and respect others and so it is hard sometimes still working in the fight business. When I'm training people, sometimes I still go back to that killer mode and it bothers me....that is not how I want to live my life now. That is the way it is though, to be the best you have to have that instinct inside of you and be able to use that in your training and in your fights. When I am training fighters I go into that mode because I want them to be in that state of mind, so that they are prepared when they step into the ring or cage.

PDG: Do you mean like a ‘Bloodlust’?
Kaman: Exactly. In order to be successful you cannot lovingly beat the shit out of somebody. You have to be vicious and use some of that animal instinct when you fight. That is the only way I know how do it – 100% and vicious. So eventually I will have to walk away because I have different values in my life now than I did 10-15 years ago.

PDG: You can’t be a fighter forever.
Kaman: Maybe I will teach some dances in the future.

PDG: Thanks a lot for your time.
Kaman: Thank you.

Feb 7, 2006
Exclusive: Trump To Announce Arlovski Signing Tomorrow

MMARated.com has learned that at tomorrow's Affliction press conference in Manhattan, Donald Trump will be announcing that former UFC heavyweight champion, Andrei Arlovski, has officially signed with the upstart promotion. The Executive Vice President of The Trump Organization and the Special Counsel to Donald J. Trump, Michael D. Cohen, confirmed the news with MMARated.com.

It has long been rumored that Arlovski would be facing Ben Rothwell on the inaugural Affliction card but Mr. Cohen would not officially comment on when "The Pit Bull" would be making his debut. We should, however, find out more tomorrow.

Trump will also announce that he has become an equity partner in the Affliction promotion. When asked what percentage of the organization he now owns, Mr. Cohen would only say "a significant amount."

Finally, when asked if Trump's relationship with Tito Ortiz would help bring the former UFC light heavyweight champion to Affliction, Cohen said:

"Everything that Donald Trump does is the biggest and the best and the "Afflcition: Banned" show will be just that.

Due to the status of the Trump mark, and Donald Trump as a mogul business man, Mr. Trump has received dozens of phone calls from fighters who are interested in joining the Affliction family."

Stay tuned...

Feb 7, 2006
Rated Exclusive: Mark Cuban Weighs In On Elite XC

Everyone's still buzzing over Saturday night's Elite XC on CBS telecast. So, we thought it would be interesting to hear from HDNet founder, Mark Cuban, to get his thoughts on all the madness...

Ariel Helwani: What were your overall impressions of the show?

Mark Cuban: I think they did a great job for a first show.

AH: Do you think that was a good representation of the sport?

MC: Why is everyone so caught up in whether this was a good representation? It was an entertaining show. It was mostly existing MMA fans as viewers. It was easy to watch the card and MMA fans did. This was not a show that new fans jumped on board to watch. That doesn't happen in a 1st broadcast

AH: Did you expect the show to generate such a good rating?

MC: I thought it would do fine. MMA does great on HDNet and Spike. There was no reason to believe it wouldn't do well on CBS

AH: Do you think that Kimbo Slice is good for the sport of mixed martial arts?

MC: Yep. Just like all the WWE wrestlers the UFC brings in. They are branded athletes that people are interested in.

AH: Are you a fan of female MMA?

MC: Yes

AH: Was there anything CBS did in the telecast that you would like to see on an HDNet Fights broadcast?

MC: Not really.

I also took the liberty to ask Cuban some general questions about HDNet Fights...

AH: What, if anything, went wrong between HDNet and Affliction?

MC: Nothing

AH: Will you continue to air the DREAM events live and will Kenny Rice and Bas Rutten continue to call them from a studio in Los Angeles or on location?

MC: Yes and they will travel to some but not all.

AH: What did you think of the DREAM.3 telecast?

MC: Great fights make for a great telecast and DREAM.3 had some of the best this year.

Feb 7, 2006
Strikeforce on NBC 5/25 Rating

MMAPayout.com has learned that the 5/25 edition of Strikeforce Saturday Night drew a 0.5 rating (534,000 viewers) on NBC. The program was the 17th highest rated sports program on network television for the week.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC Sends Cease and Desist to Ortiz

MMAPayout.com has learned that Tito Ortiz was recently served a cease and desist request from the UFC. The subject of the complaint was the cover of Ortiz's recently released autobiography, entitled This is Going to Hurt. The book's cover features Ortiz wearing the UFC Light Heavyweight Title is intellectual property of the UFC. As such, its use in promotional materials requires the company's approval per the terms of its standard contract.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 85: MARQUARDT EYEING LEITES, TITLE SHOT

Hopefully Thales Leites is avoiding black cats and walking under ladders this week. He is scheduled to face Nathan Marquardt Saturday night in London at UFC 85, a bout that has been in the works for more than a year and a half. But due to issues regarding attaining a visa and injuries, both previously scheduled dates for this fight have fallen apart.

Mere days away, it looks as if this time Marquardt vs. Leites will finally happen, pitting two of the top middleweights in the Ultimate Fighting Championship against each other.

Leites has a strong background in competitive jiu-jitsu and enters the Octagon at the O2 Arena with a 12-1 professional record in mixed martial arts. His only loss in the UFC was in his promotional debut, dropping a decision to Martin Kampmann. He has since won three straight.

The only seven-time King of Pancrase in Japan and with more than 30 professional bouts to his credit, Marquardt has gone 5-1 in the UFC, his only misstep being a TKO loss to current middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

With this fight having been planned for such a long time and with Leites’ pedigree, Marquardt has taken this fight very seriously. He trained with his usual world-class caliber of training partners under the guidance of premier trainer Greg Jackson, but also added a new name to the mix in Roger Huerta.

“I got Rashad Evans, Keith Jardine, Joey Villasenor; then we also got Georges St. Pierre that came up here, Dave Loiseau and Roger Huerta,” said Marquardt in a recent interview with MMAWeekly.com.

Many of his training partners also had fights around the same time period as him. Rashad Evans was initially scheduled to fight on the same UFC 85 event as Marquardt before his bout fell through. Keith Jardine recently lost at the hands of Wanderlei Silva at UFC 84 in Las Vegas, Shane Carwin scored a quick knockout of Christian Wellisch on that same event, and Joey Villasenor scored a win over Phil Baron at CBS-EliteXC Saturday Night Fights.

The timing of his teammates bouts is great to help peak his training cycle, and Marquardt also indicated that the wins and the losses help to keep him focused.

“Going out there and watching Shane knock his guy out is going to give me confidence,” said the Lander, Wyoming native, “and, at the same time, seeing what happened to Keith is going to remind me to keep my focus and remind me what’s at stake, what the other guy’s going to be trying to do to me.”

Focus, or his mental preparation and toughness, is something that Marquardt places great importance on. He feels it is one of the key factors in why he lost his chance to capture the title belt from around Anderson Silva’s waist.

“I should have won that fight. I made some mistakes and mentally I wasn’t there like I should have been. I know I can beat that guy and I know that I’ll be the champ eventually. That’s my goal is to get a rematch with Anderson,” he stated.

“I guess that’s been my strength, why I am a champion, because I’m never going to accept defeat. I’m never going to accept people saying that someone is better than me. I feel I’m the best and I have to go out there and prove it. And if I get beaten, that doesn’t mean that the guy is better than me, it just means that I made mistakes that I need to fix.”

That mental toughness is something that Marquardt plans on bringing into the fight with Leites, who he knows is going to be a difficult test for him. Leites’ renown in competitive grappling leads to the inevitable questions about Marquardt’s ground game, which is solid considering that he himself is black belt in jiu-jitsu.

The difference, to Marquardt, is the application of jiu-jitsu skills to MMA, which is something that comes from experience.

“Some people have this saying. I think it’s from Carlson Gracie. ‘You hit him once and he’s a brown belt. You hit him twice and he’s a purple belt. You hit him again he’s a blue belt.’ That’s something you’ve got to get used to. You have to work that into your game,” he explained. “Thales has been doing MMA long enough that he’s started that. He’s not just a pure jiu-jitsu guy, but I have a lot more experience in that area.”

That’s not to say that he is overlooking Leites. He has a lot of respect for the Brazilian fighter and puts a lot of importance on winning this fight, believing a victory puts him right back at the top of the Anderson Silva sweepstakes.

“I feel that I’ll be the No. 1 contender,” said Marquardt about winning the fight. “Does that mean that I’ll get a title shot right away? Not necessarily, but… that should put me right at the No. 1 contender.”

Although he is expecting victory, he’s still not tipping his hand as to his game plan.

“Look for an exciting fight,” said Marquardt. “I’m going to go out and hit him with everything I have. I’m going to try and knock him out. He’s a tough guy, but I think I can do it.”

Feb 7, 2006
Damm Is In Japan! Public Workout At P’s Lab Tokyo

Rodrigo Damm who is fighting Jorge Masvidal on Sunday at SENGOKU III arrived to Japan on June 1st, a little earlier than he had planned. He had a public workout session today at Pancrase gym P’s Lab Tokyo. He did mitt training for 2×3 minutes and it looks like the media was impressed, even though Damm is primarily a BJJ player. He says that in addition to his BJJ, he has worked a lot on his wrestling, boxing and muay thai for this fight. He wants to win on Sunday to get a spot in the Lightweight Tournament starting in August.

Feb 7, 2006
Hideo Tokoro Interview

- You fight in DREAM 4. Tell me what you think.
I just do my best.
- Did you watch DREAM?
Yes. I watched 1st and 3rd events live and 2ND event on TV. I felt DREAM was like PRIDE pretty much by seeing a ring call woman who rolls her R's and the referees.
- DREAM is different from HERO'S?
Yes. DREAM is not my home ground and totally different. I feel strange because HERO'S disappeared without any announcement.
- In the press conference today, Sasahara said you are a symbol of HERO'S.
I don't think so. I fought in HERO'S frequently.
- Tell me the most impressive fight in last 3 years.
I don't have anything particular. I remember everything including fights with Uno, Mamba, Tamura, Royce Gracie etc.
- How did you like HERO'S?
Needless to say HERO'S had many strong fighters, that ring was very comfy for me. I grew up in HERO'S. HERO'S gave me chance to be famous, see many great fighters and built my MMA career. I wish I could do better now.
- Do you regret?
Yes. I guess I could be better if I worked harder at that time.
- Now you start in the new event.
I have to prove myself to gain opportunities to fight continually.
- You said DREAM has PRIDE atmosphere. Do you feel like your next fight is an away fight?
Well, I know some people but have a lot of things I don't know. I don't think an away fight but ... gray.
- You were a second of Shoji in DREAM.3.
It was terrific to see my teammate got applause in that ring.
- Did you give him good advice?
Not really. Shoji said, "Did you say anything?" He couldn't hear anything from me.- Do you know anything about Darren Uyenoyama?
No. Nothing.
- You worked for DEEP when he fought 6 years ago.
Yes. It was 6 years ago and I don't remember
- I heard He was good on ground.
I'm strong if I take a good position. Fighters in DREAM are strong and I do my best.
- What kind fight do you want to have?
I have no idea. I don't have any room to think about what I want to show.- Why did you decide to fight in the feather weight class? You were in HERO'S middle weight class( Under 70 kg).
I don't know why. When I fought Tamura on NYE, I felt a difference between our weight. I was 65 kg in ZST. I felt OK fighting in HERO'S because I had confidence improving myself among strong fighters. However, I faced a reality that I couldn't win and started to think about moving down a weight class.- Do you think you can do better in the feather weight class which is close to your real weight?
I have no confidence. I doubt if I can prove myself or not. I hope I can.
- KID Yamamoto will fight in the same class.
He is very strong. He won't let me defeat him easily. I want to fight him to be honest. I realize I don't have much experience to challenge him.
- Do you want a belt?
Yes. I'm always amazed to see my teammate own his belt.
- Your next fight will be a very important for your future.
I understand that I cannot lose my next fight. Losing means withdraw from the front line. I fight to win.

Feb 7, 2006
Norifumi "KID" Yamamoto announced his participation into DREAM.5 in Osaka on Jul 21.
Yamamoto:
I haven't attended a conference like this and haven't fought for a while. I fight as usual and correspond to my fans expectation.
Sasahara:
I wanted him to fight in DREAM.4. We couldn't find a suitable opponent for him and postponed to DREAM.5 to let him fight in a good condition.
Yamamoto:
I have more time conditioning and I will be fully ready in July.

The weight is still in negotiation. Kid hopes to fight in 61 kg to 62 kg. It seems like Kid doesn't know much about his opponent, Joseph Benavidez

Yamamoto:
MMA is very popular in the U.S. and in Japan. I wanted to fight fighters who did good in the U.S. Urijah Faber said he was the best fighter in his gym, so I suppose our fight will be very exciting. (As for Faber's message that Faber wanted to fight him someday) I 'm very glad to hear that from him, who is the best feather weight fighter in the U.S. I'm excited to fight him if he moves down his weight class to mine. If someone who I don't know asked me to fight, I turn down immediately and say I don't have have time to waste. (Per Japanese fighters who are interested in fighting him) I'm not interested in because they haven't proved themselves yet. When Tokoro becomes a top fighter, I will definitely fight. I don't fight him for now. I work on ground techniques a lot and I'm very into developing. I will be very aggressive on the ground as well. I will show my fans that I'm an all round fighter.

May 17, 2004
Im really excited about Affliction : Banned but i really hate that piece of shit Donald Trump. I wish i could become a self made millionaire by having my dad loan me millions of dollars to buy a building.

Feb 7, 2006
ANDRE GUSMAO SIGNS TO DEBUT AT UFC 87

After almost signing with the Ultimate Fighting Championship earlier this year, it now appears capoeira and jiu-jitsu expert Andre Gusmao will finally make his debut for the promotion in August at UFC 87, as confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources inside Gusmao’s camp.

Currently undefeated in his professional career, Gusmao was prematurely speculated to face David Heath at UFC 81 in February, but it was then discovered that he was still under obligation to the International Fight League.

During his time with the IFL, Gusmao served as an alternate for Renzo Gracie’s Pitbulls, racking up four wins in the promotion.

Gusmao was supposedly signed and ready to fight Heath when his previous contractual obligations were revealed, but now it appears he has fulfilled his time with the IFL and now moves on to the UFC.

At this time no opponent has been named for Gusmao in his debut, but more fights for the Minnesota card are expected soon.

UFC 87 Bouts (officially announced):
-Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch
-Kenny Florian vs. Roger Huerta
-Brock Lesnar vs. Heath Herring

UFC 87 Bouts (unannounced):
-Frankie Edgar vs. Hermes Franca
-Cheick Kongo vs. Dan Evensen
-Mac Danzig vs. Clay Guida
-Steve Bruno vs. Chris Wilson
-Karo Parisyan vs. TBA
-Andre Gusmao vs. TBA

Feb 7, 2006
TAYLOR READY FOR REMATCH WITH LIAUDIN AT UFC 85

Paul Taylor was on the verge of a huge win, only to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Having been just a couple of strikes away from finishing top Ultimate Fighting Championship prospect Marcus Davis, his opponent came roaring back to win the fight. Coming off back-to-back losses, his approaching bout with Jess Liaudin will have huge significance to his career.

“I am treating it like every other fight; I am not feeling any extra pressure about my fight with Jess,” responded Taylor when asked if he felt more pressure coming off two straight defeats.

This rematch of two veterans of the British circuit is sure to be a heated encounter that could turn into a war. Their previous meeting was a close battle in which Taylor was awarded the decision. The outcome was heatedly contested as Liaudin and his camp thought that they should have been the victors on the night.

“Jess thinks he should have got the nod on the night, but I would have to disagree and I think I picked up a deserved decision,” commented Taylor on the result of their previous meeting.

Taylor made his Octagon debut at UFC 70, a card which heralded the UFC’s return to Britain after a five year hiatus. Taylor made a successful debut as he systematically picked apart Edilberto de Oliveira before stopping his foe in the third round.

Unfortunately, he would lose his next bout to Marcus Davis, not before dropping him with a head kick and nearly finishing him. A dramatic turn of events saw Davis submitting Taylor with an armbar in the first round.

His last bout was an intense battle with fellow Englishman Paul Kelly in January of this year when he lost a decision.

“Indifferent” is how Taylor responded when he learned he would be facing Liaudin again. “I feel I have already proved I can beat Jess, but I will fight whoever the UFC puts in front of me and wherever they tell me to fight,” he stated with confidence.

“I feel I have learned a great deal off my last two losses. I have worked even harder for this fight, training three times a day working with my coach John Roberts and training partners such as Cage Rage veteran Marc Goddard and all the rest of the lads at Team Supreme. I am very confident at this moment in time.

“I have no trouble making weight,” chuckled Taylor as he ate lunch three days out from his fight. “That’s what saunas are for.” With little trouble making the 170-pound class, this is an additional pressure lifted off his shoulders this week. In the days leading up to the fight, his training starts to simmer down as he prepares for the fight. Taylor’s concentration now fully focused on the beating of Jess Liaudin.

The UFC recently inked a multi-event deal with Setanta Sports that will allow the promotion to broadcast cards live to the British audience. The British public is eager for success, which will lead to high expectations placed on British fighters such as Taylor and Michael Bisping. A live three-hour slot during prime television time will lead to a potentially large audience in the United Kingdom. Television deals like this are a great tool to boost the popularity of the sport.

“The sport has grown massively over here and I am very happy to be one of the leading British fighters to begin the evolution of the sport over here. It has given me great delight to see how well the sport has developed and evolved, which excites me greatly.”

The platform is set for Taylor. He has the opportunity to get back on the winning path and impress a large British audience who are craving British stars. When he faces Jess Liaudin on June 7 at UFC 85 the result could play a major factor in determining the path of Taylor’s future career.

When asked for a prediction, he laughed and commented, “I hope for a first round knockout, but more importantly I want a good performance and get back to winning ways.”

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 85: WIN OVER HUGHES PUTS ALVES IN CONTENTION

Defeating Karo Parisyan is what put American Top Team fighter Thiago Alves in the Top 10 in the world, but on June 7 he has a chance to fight former UFC champion Matt Hughes and possibly place himself as the No. 1 contender for the title.

Coming off the win over Parisyan at UFC Fight Night 13 in April, Alves said recently in an interview with MMAWeekly Radio that he had no hesitation at all stepping up on short notice to face Hughes in the main event of UFC 85 in England.

“That was perfect timing. I just came from the fight on April 2 so I was already in shape, so just keep doing the hard work and that’s it,” said Alves.

“My manager called me and you know ‘they want you to fight Matt Hughes.’ (Expletive) yeah, I’ll be there! Let me know when. They said June 7 and that’s perfect timing. I called my conditioning coach, all my coaches, and I asked them let’s do it.”

What Alves will be facing in Hughes is possibly the most prolific champion in UFC history, and a fighter who has defeated many top challengers in the past.

“Matt Hughes is a tough guy,” Alves stated. “He’s the most dominant welterweight of all time, and I’m really excited. I’ve been seeing this guy fighting forever, just like Karo (Parisyan), and I can’t wait. It’s my time, and I’m really excited.”

Many critics of this fight have boiled it down to Hughes’ ability to take the fight to the ground and Alves’ ability to stop the takedown. The Brazilian understands there’s much more to the fight than that simple equation.

“No, I wish it was just takedown defense, it would be really easy. But it’s not like that, it’s an MMA fight so anything can happen,” he commented. “Of course he’s a wrestler, he’s a grappler guy, so he’s going to try to take me down. That’s his main thing, I’m pretty sure, same thing as me, I’m going to try to knock him out. I might try to take him down. I don’t know what I’m going to do yet.”

If the fight does hit the ground, Alves is confident in his ground skill, working alongside ground wizards such as Marcello Garcia and Marcus Aurelio every day at American Top Team.

“I’ve got tons and tons of black belts at American Top Team and I’m comfortable everywhere,” he said. “We’ve got good grapplers, we’ve got good strikers, we’ve got good wrestlers.”

If Alves is able to withstand Hughes’ attacks and pick up the win, many would consider him the top contender in the welterweight division, waiting for champion Georges St. Pierre and Jon Fitch to square off in August.

“I’m hoping to get the winner,” said Alves about the match-up between St. Pierre and Fitch.