LOL WUT?!? Sir Dyno the dropout!?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 9, 2006
where was i?!...........

Rapper brings message of redemption

The beat is the same, but the message is different.

The first hard-core Chicano rapper, who once influenced a nation of youngsters into a notorious Norteños gang lifestyle, will be in Colusa Friday singing a different tune.

David Rocha, formerly known as the rap artist Sir Dyno, will bring a message of peace, love and redemption at a free Christian rap concert at the Colusa Theatre.

A.L.G. and Nate the Prophet will also perform.

"It takes a lot of courage to find God and change your life," said concert organizer Miguel Valladares, a member of New Life Apostolic Church in Colusa. "But if we can't help our youth stay out of gangs, then it will partially be our fault. They follow our footsteps."

As a teenager, Valladares said he was greatly influenced by "gangsta" rap, especially by artists like Rocha, who shared a similar Mexican-American background.

Rocha grew up in Tracy, Valladares in Arbuckle.

Sir Dyno, who debuted in 1996 alongside DarkRoom Familia, was a hero to many Northern California Hispanic youth like Valladares and was widely known for his introspective view of barrio life, especially the dark side of drugs and violence.

Rocha's music would preach a unification of the Norteños gang and was said to be funded by the Nuestra Familia, a ruthless prison gang.

"The rap industry and gang lifestyle became my personal prison," Rocha said Monday. "I was raised in a very Christian home, from my parents, aunts and uncles to my grandparents. There was no reason for me to sway to the wrong path, yet I did despite knowing better."

Rocha's message as the notorious gangster was a message Valladares and many local Hispanic youth took to heart.

"Life was all about the gang, especially in Arbuckle where I lived," Valladares said. "It was all about colors and getting blue (rival Sureños)."

But like many who fall into a gang lifestyle, Valladares eventually traded Norteños red for jailhouse orange, doing a term in prison for drug possession.

Rocha spent six years in prison on drug charges, but escaped serious conspiracy charges that could have put him away for life.

In 2000, Rocha was arrested by the FBI in Operation Black Widow, which was a major crackdown on the Nuestra Familia. The case was featured in Maxim magazine as well as an episode of the History Channel's "Gangland."

While on bail, Rocha was arrested and later convicted through a plea agreement for selling methamphetamine.

He said it was in a Sacramento jail that he began a transformation that changed the direction of his life.

"I accepted the Lord Jesus Christ into my life and heart there in solitary confinement," Rocha said. "There was so much darkness in my heart and mind that it (seemed) impossible to be rehabilitated, yet almost instantly upon accepting Christ into my heart and begging for him to change me, I felt as if a light came on deep inside of me."

About two years into his sentence, Rocha began to preach in the prison yard.

He graduated from Bible college while in prison, became a licensed minister and continued his ministry after his release last year.

Rocha is working on his bachelor's degree while traveling to churches and cities with his powerful message.

Like his rap hero, Valladares would also transform his life.

Rocha found God while in prison. Valladares' salvation would come later — in church.

"Anyone who knew me thought it would be hard to get me in church," he said. "But I was sitting there with my wife and felt an overwhelming need to be saved. Even though the old me was saying to stay in (my lifestyle), I knew Jesus was telling me to get out."

Valladares gave up the gangster life, quit smoking and drugs, and now hopes to reach as many young people influenced by gangs or on the verge of being indoctrinated into a lifestyle of gang violence, drugs and prison.

Valladares said Friday's event, which includes powerful testimony by Rocha, is an opportunity for people of all ages to be inspired by the life Rocha now leads.

"It's all about God," Valladares said. "He put the stars and the moon in the sky. It's a new life."

http://www.appeal-democrat.com/entertainment/rapper-104523-message-different.html

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
That's cool and all but I find it hilarious at the number of people who all of the sudden "find god" while incarcerated. I mean, come on.
he started to find god before he went in you could kinda tell he didnt want to live that lifestyle seems like the suppose 2 main members of darkroom familia left him for high and dry when he went to jail they tried to cash in on the name while he was in now that he is out they aint put out a cd he spit some dope shit but seems like most of it wasnt real he aint my homie so i really dont care

Jan 27, 2005
Honestly if he changin for the LORD I ain't gonna hate good for him I'm glad god bless. Got his flyer a week ago but didn't go. Glad to see he's doin somthin better than gang bangin. And I don't consider him a drop out.

Dec 2, 2006
yeah noticed that as soon they go to prison they wanna find god
I never understood the god thing but that is because I am not religious. Funny you say that because I was just the opposite. I found myself right here on these streets. I was riding behind them walls.lol

The game is full of half stepping weenies and net warriors, period. I don't know sir dyno personally nor do I care too, but I find the comments amusing. Most of the dudes talking that shit haven't been through much and are sqaure as fuck, real talk. Even alot of these fake ass rappers, not all though. You can't knock a man for doing something most are too scared to do. He did his time, kept his mouth shut, and moved on. What the fuck is wrong with that? Only fake ass niggas don't get it. Real motherfuckers want a better way because we have seen it all....

And Chree, I know you are just fucking around, don't trip.