Like Martin Did Gina

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PGBD

Sicc OG
Nov 10, 2004
Martin Lawrence had one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. He found the perfect median between humor that was urban/black culture oriented, but yet understood, enjoyed and accepted by mainstream America. Jamie Fox tried to replicate it, but his show was straight goofoid (his slapstick shit was corny and his punchlines were even lamer [there wasn't any black authenticity to them]). The Bernie Mac show was even worse. Although he was a great stand up comedian, his humor was limited by the show's concept, the subsequent situations he found himself in and his inability to act out in a way that is in line with what we (his fans) expect of him (no cursing, no hostility).

Any thoughts?

"Shakin' 'em and Breakin' 'em like Nick Van Exel of the L.A. Lakers"

djgo

Sicc OG
Oct 4, 2005
show was coo while it lasted.

...bruh man always climbin in through the window outta nowhere...

dont know any stations that run it anymore

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Martin was probably the best black sitcom ever, fuck the Cosbys

Jamie Foxes show was super weak, I catch reruns of it on BET and its like a mix between Martin, Fresh Prince and Benson and its hella lame. Its a trip how dude is now way more famous than all the mid 90s musical guests that would pop up at that hotel every week lol. I still wanna know what happened on part 2 of the KC and Jo Jo episode where he ends up going on tour with them and he dropps the love note that fine braud on the show gave him... haha saw it the other day

May 25, 2006
PGBD said:
Martin Lawrence had one of the greatest sitcoms of all time. He found the perfect median between humor that was urban/black culture oriented, but yet understood, enjoyed and accepted by mainstream America. Jamie Fox tried to replicate it, but his show was straight goofoid (his slapstick shit was corny and his punchlines were even lamer [there wasn't any black authenticity to them]). The Bernie Mac show was even worse. Although he was a great stand up comedian, his humor was limited by the show's concept, the subsequent situations he found himself in and his inability to act out in a way that is in line with what we (his fans) expect of him (no cursing, no hostility or black anger).

Any thoughts?

And does anyone know of any programs that show reruns of Martin?

"Shakin' 'em and Breakin' 'em like Nick Van Exel of the L.A. Lakers"
if you got the channel tv one they air the show, its comin on right now a 2 a.m.

May 30, 2006
@the thread starter......u are on point with what u said. Martin waz the shit. I didn't watch it the last season cuz the show got hella stupid IMO. Martin waz trying 2 hard 2 be funny in itz final episodes. Jamie Fox show had itz moments but that's it. Bernie Mac show iz some str8 up bullshit. Bernie iz a great comedian but he's not built 4 TV. Doesn't make him less funny but he's not TV Material.

@jayda 650 Martin waz the best sitcom of itz era but not of all time. Sanford & Son iz my fav till thiz day & surpasses Martin IMO. Good Times, What's Happening......i could really relate 2 them showz cuz it waz str8 hood. LOL!! Martin waz most definitly that last great black sitcom though & the last one I watched.

Jan 21, 2003
www.myspace.com
jayda650 said:
Martin was probably the best black sitcom ever, fuck the Cosbys
I dunno man....if you put in in retrospect the Cosby show was pure Classic. It made it possible and opened doors for shows like Martin. A different world was pretty good to. You also cant forget about the Jeffersons, What's Happenin' Now and Good Times. Martin was funny though. I used to watch that shit faithfully.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
The cosbys wern't funny to me one bit i honestly can't stand that show, the Cos's stand up is great though.

Mr Cooper musta been on that Jamie Fox show hella times cuz i caught a rerun that he was on it playing a lawyer. That shit couldn't have did more than one or 2 seasons, that shit was corny

Mr Cooper was a good show too BTW

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
I didn't like Martin, or the Cosby's, or the Jamie Foxx show, nor did I really like Living Single or whatever the fuck it was called, or any of those shows. They always made the people look like exaggerations of real personalities and that's something I can't stand....exploitation is not a good thing, in my opinion.

Apr 20, 2003
The Evil Genius Martin waz the best sitcom of itz era but not of all time. Sanford & Son iz my fav till thiz day & surpasses QUOTE said:
I Agree with Evil 100%! Sanford & Son is the shit I got all 6 seasons on dvds. "You Big Dummy!" is classic....

Apr 7, 2005
www.myspace.com
martin was such an influence, people STILL use his phrases.

Matter of fact, I think I hear "You go girl" more from the white ladies in my office then I EVER heard from any sistas.

Sanford & Son was THE greatest. NO ONE in tv land can fuck with Redd Foxx mane. The way him and Esther went back and forth was CLASSIC baggin'.

They tried to emulate Fred Sanford by creating Archie Bunker. Fred was in NO WAY as racist, but the way they talked to their sons was the same.

I miss those shows man. Them shits were hilarious.

If yall geta chance, youtube "redd foxx"....there's tons of his material.