Jones just got knocked the fuck out

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 24, 2002
www.sovereign-records.com
i didnt expect that... what a shocker .. i do agree , i had johnson winning every round except one also . roy took a beating all night. he even got wobbled in round 3 i believe but fought back with a flurry . but that last shot iterally put roy jones to sleep!!!! scary shit. johnson deserved it . i feel bad for roy but happy for johnson at the same time.. its over for rj.

Cut-Throat

Bob Pimp MOBBEN!!!
Apr 25, 2002
more proof is nowhere near the greatest ever....at the least the great fighters lost to fighters who were considered great...not these "Glass Joe" boxers...

Apr 12, 2004
yea he fucced up when he stepped up to the light heavyweight division...hes too cocky for his own good... i bet dat foo is humble now !!!! he needs to retire, and I hope he dont start recording albums...

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
Bahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

Well Roy Jones whores, I've been sayin it for a long time now.
Your boy is a good fighter, but definately over rated when considered the best pound for pound fighter in the world.

And before the excuses rain in,
Tarver took his manhood just like Buster took Tyson's....
The intimidation factor is out the window, Johnson jumped on Roy from the get go and didn't pull back anything....

R.I.P. Mr. Jones....

Jan 9, 2004
This on Maxboxing

Finishing what Antonio Tarver started last November, Glen Johnson may have ended the career of one of the most accomplished boxers of the last 25 years by knocking Roy Jones Jr. out with one punch in the ninth round of their IBF light heavyweight title fight that took place in Memphis, Tennessee Saturday night.

Johnson, now 41-9-2 (28), out-worked Jones from the onset of the fight, attacking the former four-division champ for all three minutes of the first round before settling down and diligently working his way inside behind a strong jab, hard over-hand rights and steady pressure.

Jones, now 49-3 (38), attempted to counter punch his hard-charging opponent, often with his back to the ropes, but though he landed some sharp lefts to Johnson's body in the furious first round and teed-off with some lightening fast combinations in the fifth round (after being rocked by an over-hand right) the long-time claimant to the mythical title of "pound-for-pound best" fought without passion or a sense of urgency.

The series of left hooks to Johnson's body and head that landed in the fifth round was the last statement that Jones, 35, would make in the fight, and probably his distinguished career. Johnson, also 35, stalked his lackadaisical prey in rounds six, seven and eight, landing his jab almost at will from the outside before out-hustling Jones on the inside.

Between the seventh and eighth rounds, Jones' trainer Alton Merkerson told his fighter to "lay hands" on the other man, but it was Johnson who out-landed Jones by a 3-to-1 margin. The end came at the start of the ninth when Johnson landed an over-hand right to the left ear of a seemingly uninterested Jones.

Just as he did versus Tarver this past May, Jones' body went limp and dropped to the canvass, where he lay disturbingly lifeless for referee Bill Clancy's 10 count and for many tense minutes after the fight was halted 48 seconds into the round.

Johnson retained his IBF title and is now in position to unify light heavyweight belts with Tarver or seek other big-money bouts against the likes of middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins.

"I'll fight any man," said Johnson afterward. ""I'm not the best in the world; I'm just the man who is willing to fight the best."

The best used to be Roy Jones, but he lost something in the last year.

Last November, Jones didn't have "it" as he struggled to out-point Tarver in what was up until that point the toughest fight of his career. Going down in weight after beefing up to 200 pounds to take on John Ruiz was the consensus rationalization for his flat performance in that fight. In the rematch with Tarver five months ago, Jones was caught with an over-hand left in the second round and knocked out cold. Jones said he was in shape and healthy for the fight, but also stated that he just couldn't get up for fighters like Tarver at this stage of his career.

Question: if Jones couldn't get "up" for Tarver, how was he going to do it for Johnson? Answer: He wasn't.

Jones didn't have "it" versus Johnson. He'll probably never have "it" again as a professional fighter.

After 25 years in boxing, 52 professional fights, six world titles in four weight classes, and millions of dollars in purse money, it seems as though the thrill is gone for Roy Jones. All that is left is the agony of defeat.

Getting old is a bitch, isn't it?

One and half years and three fights ago, Jones easily out-pointed heavyweight title-holder John Ruiz. Many fans and some pundits called him the greatest fighter of our era, if not all time. Saturday night he was pummeled and knocked out by a guy with nine losses. A guy who was considered to be a journeyman at super middleweight. A guy who was beat up and knocked out by Hopkins at middleweight.

The speed is still there, but reflexes aren't. The power is gone, and at light heavyweight, it never really was there. The confidence is gone. All that is left is pride. And pride by itself can get a fighter killed.

Pride is what got Jones to take this fight when common sense told him to hang up the gloves after losing to Tarver. Pride is what kept Jones in the ring, 20 minutes after the fight had been called off. He did not want to be carried out - not on a stretcher and not by his team.

If he fights again, he may not be lucky enough to be too stubborn to go to the hospital. It's time for Jones to face the truth. It's over. With one punch, the Roy Jones era ended Saturday night in Memphis.

http://www.maxboxing.com/fischer/fischer092604.asp

Dec 25, 2003
That old expression about 'a fighter growing old before our eyes' came true the other night. I used to be surprised if he lost a couple of rounds in a fight, now he's been knocked out back to back twice. He should definitely retire. Two big knockout defeats in a row for a man who once seemed invincible. He let Johnson pound on him round after round. He looked like he was just waiting to get knocked out. It was sad to see, whether you like Roy or not. During his career Jones ruled the middleweight, super-middleweight and light-heavyweight divisions, and captured a portion of the heavyweight division. So how do you think history will view him?