JaMarcus Russell speaks -- Is he misunderstood?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 4, 2003
this guys a CLOWN.. there's a reason no other team has gave his syrup sippn' ass another shot.. and no Russell if you ever go broke its because you wanted to be Lil Wayne instead of a NFL QB!! Sorry but a return to tha NFL is very very unlikely you bum!

Since the Raiders released JaMarcus Russell in May 2010 he has slipped into obscurity.

Until now.

Sports Illustrated recently caught up with the No. 1 overall pick of the 2007 NFL Draft in his hometown of Mobile, Ala.

Here's what he had to say on the following issues...

On reports that he fell asleep during team meetings:
"In the NFL, my first year, I had to be there at 6:30 before practice and be on the treadmill for an hour. Then meetings come, I sit down, eat my fruit. We watch film, and maybe I got tired. Coach Flip [quarterback coach John DeFilippo] pulled me aside and said, 'What are you doing for night life?' I said, 'Coach, I'm just chilling.' He said, 'I need to get you checked out.' I did the sleep test, and they said I had apnea."

Russell reveals that during his time in Oakland, 11 family members or friends died, including his uncle Ray Ray Russell:
"I went through so much no one knew about. Go to a funeral on Saturday, fly into the game on Sunday. Then I hear, 'He doesn't lead by example.' Really?"

On the lack of support from his coaches and teammates:
"Things weren't going right, and it felt like sometimes everything fell back on me. I take some responsibility, but I was one guy... I may have missed a throw, but I didn't give up 42 points, I didn't miss a block."

On coach Tom Cable:
"All of a sudden, he flipped the script. I stuck my neck out for him. Didn't complain when he benched me as the starter. Didn't complain when he called the same plays five damn times. Didn't badmouth him to other coaches... Then I hear he says I was the worst thing ever happened to the Raiders, if it weren't for him we'd be in the playoffs?... It just got where the game wasn't fun for me."

On his ccharity efforts -- Russell has given back so much to his hometown that he is often referred to as, 'Santa Claus.':
If I do go broke," says Russell who is unmarried and has no children," it's going to be from providing for my neighborhood and my family."

On why haven't his charitable donations been publicized:
"My business is my business. That's how I prefer it. I gotta look up to God. I don't gotta look out to no damn news cameras!"

In summation:
"I'll keep moving, man. But what if I don't make it back to the NFL? I'll be O.K. Being a competitor, I feel like I have unfinished business. Like 'It can't end like this'"

For the complete article, check out the upcoming issue of Sports Illustrated.

Read more: JaMarcus Russell speaks -- Is he misunderstood?
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/raid...s----Is-he-misunde?blockID=582620&feedID=2539

Jan 4, 2003
I remember he even had coach John Lucas give up on his ass!! outta shape bum!! maybe he can go get a guard card and work as a bouncer somewhere

Jan 4, 2003
JaMarcus Russell is the QB version of Aaron Curry. Only he played a MUCH higher profile position.
??? you must be sippn on some of Russells syrup.. Russell was a fat lazy bum who was all about tha bling bling and partying with strippers and running with thugs.. they arent even comparible bro.. you lettin this good cali dro get to your head

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
I agree with Russell sort of... he did take the blame and was made scapegoat. Some things were his fault, but not everything. He would have been better under better coaching.... lol at Tom Cable calling the same play 5 times in a row.

V

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • V

V

^^come on Tony...he was part of the whole reason you jumped off the raiders and stop being a fan of the team...nobody wants this fools sob stroy...

Jan 4, 2003
I agree with Russell sort of... he did take the blame and was made scapegoat. Some things were his fault, but not everything. He would have been better under better coaching.... lol at Tom Cable calling the same play 5 times in a row.
nah he's a BUM.. funny how Hue and Jason Campbell come and all of a sudden we score TDs instead of kickin fgs all game

Apr 2, 2010
For getting a contract worth over 60 million dollars (which is honestly the highest I can recall out of any rookie drafted) he should be expected to perform and put the work in that other successful rookies have accomplished. He knew how high the Raiders thought of him and he didn't put in the effort to reciprocate that trust.

Hes not the only rookie who had a ton of pressure to deal with including "bad management" and personal issues.

Jan 4, 2003
No he didn't you gotta read that story.
JaMarcus Russell Fired By 'Life Coach' John Lucas

JaMarcus Russell's return to the NFL has suffered another setback.

According to Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, "life coach" John Lucas recently fired Russell and asked him to leave Houston.

The No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 NFL draft was said to have worked hard when he first started working with Lucas. Russell quickly lost motivation and Lucas became frustrated.

A source told Cole that the title of his article should be "It's Over."

Lucas created the "Athletes After Care Program" which helps athletes and others with drug and addiction problems.

The 25-year-old was arrested in July of 2010 for possession of codeine. He admitted a month later that he tested positive for codeine after the Raiders drafted him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/14/jamarcus-russell-life-coach-john-lucas_n_849376.html

Jul 5, 2009
JaMarcus Russell fired by 'life coach,' John Lucas.
—The Huffington Post
Earlier this year Russell surfaced in Houston, working with former NBA player and coach John Lucas, a longtime guru to troubled athletes trying to revive their careers. In April, Lucas reportedly fired Russell, still more evidence that he was an irredeemable slug. Except both men say it never happened. "I felt like I was overtraining, running my body into the ground, so I left Houston," Russell says. "But fired? Me and Coach Lucas, we're cool. We still talk. I texted him just the other day." (Says Lucas, "I don't know where that [report] came from. JaMarcus is a good kid, I'm telling you, who just needs to find his motivation. But we still talk. Have him tell you about his sleep apnea. A lot [of his issues] come from that. And no one knows it.")

Jan 12, 2006
co-sign! Ive always felt the same about Alex Smith, he always was the scapegoat now fans are starting to respect him when just last season those same people booed him and cried for david carr. smh

Not saying Russel wasn't one of the main reasons the raiders played the way they did, but there are million more reasons besides Russel why the raiders hit that slump.