Jacka - Tear Gas, worth the wait?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 4, 2005
For those that have heard the full album what are your thoughts? I like the album over all and it has some slaps but i'd say this is album is lacking a few things to put it on th same level as his first two albums.

Now before you start calling me a hater or whatever check the many reviews i've done on the Mob-figaz albums in the review section (You know the section no one ever posts in anymore). The figz are my most listened to bay artists period annd i check out all their shit, but the hype and build up for this album does not match the finished product.

Its a hot album no doubt and will get played threw summer but beyond that? I don't think so. Id give it a 3.5 out 5 or maybe 4 out 5 depending on your tastes, def worth a cop but not a classic IMO. The years spent waiting for Jack artist matched up to the finished product but Tear Gas just leaves me wanting Jacka to hurry up and release a better album more on par with his previous classics.

The main problem is the lack luster features, some are cool, some are average and some are just plain shit. The chemistry is off in alot of them an i doubt if they were even in the same studio. A Fed-X or Husalah feauture would have gone along way into making this project gel together alot more then it does. The beats are mostly dope but unlike previous Jacka albums the full potential isnt used, either due to crap features or average delivery of concept. The album songs don't flow into each other aswell as they do on his other two albums either.

My best songs are Summer, Dreams, Callin my name & The Movement. Overall i'd say cop this album but don't compare it to Jacka's Previous two albums if you want to get the most out of it.

Now feel free to cuss me out for giving my honest opinion.

Elemenno

F.W.A.H.R.L.D.
Feb 28, 2009
Sick album, sick production, and sick features (Just a couple too many though).

I like the features cuz its a good combination of underground hip hop artists with more hardcore rappers showing jacka's range.

The production is unique but still keeps that mob figaz feeling and the album never gets boring to me.

definitely his most accessible album and sure to be a future classic.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
street album>tear gas

thats just imo

minus having to hear big von go BIG BONNNN on every effin song

but dont let that stop you from copping it
too many features for me kinda, its all over the place
i sorta wanted more jacka less whoever the fuck
it might grow on me as time passes tho shit like that happens

im probably eventually going to buy a copy tho when i get paid cuz i dont really have the time it takes to soak it up at home and ill make it a car album

May 9, 2002
They shoulda threw Aspen on there. I've heard it all the way thru and It's about a 3.5 outta 5 like dude. I wanna cop this though, anyone know the cheapest spot online? CDUniverse has it for like 13 shipped.

Great album, only song i dont like is the one with Paul Wall.
18 good songs out of 19 is pretty damn good.

Great production and The Jacka brings it lyrically.
This album is better then his last album and as good as his first album imo (1st and 3rd albums for jacka been the best in my opinion).

- Callin My Name
- The Storm
- Summer
- Won't Be (fea. Celski)
- Greatest Alive

Those prolly my fav tracks on the album, although the whole album is nice!

4/5 so far for me, but ill wait till i get it in the mail next week to give it a final review and score.

The Jacka did a graet job on this album in my opinion. Was cool that they played the whole album on his myspace to before the release of the album.

Best Bay Area album since Turf Talk - Westcoast Vaccine in my opinion (San Quinns last album was nice to). One of the better westcoast albums since All Eyez On Me, at least for me personally.

Jan 26, 2004
im waiting to listen to it for few more to days to judge, I like what i hear so far. every time a hyped record comes out a few people rush to say it's not what they expected and then a lot of those same people come back on and say they changed they're mind

Apr 25, 2002
This is a great album. The problem is all of Jacka's albums are great albums. I agree the features killed it a little bit, and a couple of the beats I am not feeling, but for the most part it still slaps hard, and I will be picking it up.

I've learned that what an artist releases is at their own direction and not the direction of the fans. Jacka is gonna do what Jacka is gonna do. He has his own reasons for using so many features. Looking at them, its probably to get some exposure down South and in Southern California with all the Strong Arm Steady appearences. And the beat selection while I don't like a few of them I'm impressed with because it has a new sound and it holds continuity throughout the CD. And another thing is many fans were worried this would be a bunch of recycled tracks so I was pleased to see almost all new material, even if some of the songs on the street album like "A Real Feeling" "No Future" and "Aspen" slap hard and really could have filled out the CD.

STS

Sicc OG
Sep 12, 2002
agree'd with op. i wish the cd had more solo tracks like "what happened to the world" "dopest forreal".

some of the features like the strong arm steady (kondron, phil da agony, mitchy slick, planet asia) coulda been good for the street album. Cd still is an easy cop for me and far beyond what other bay artists have released this year. 3.5/5.

Nov 2, 2002
tear gas is as good as its gonna get when it comes to bay area rap in the in 2009. Its all we got.
There wont be any more "classics" until some underground scene or style bubbles through like how it happened last time int he 90s. That wont happen though because theres not really an underground scene anymore thanks to myspace and twitter.

When you put Tear Gas into context, its a classic IMO.

Apr 13, 2008
it's a good album but not better than the jack artist. it was worth the wait though just to finally hear a new album out the nigga. i don't think it lived up to the hype but fuck it, the jacka is always putting out new music and comes with good shit overall musically on a lot of the shit he works on. the album is still nice though you can't rate it lower than a 7/10.

Mar 12, 2005
its no jack artist even tho it do got that laid back ridin and smokin feel... i cant understand y he got some of the features he do (ie freeway, freeway aint even hot right now if ever, but if its the muslim thing.. I GUESS)
couple deep tracks with meaning and heart.. a HUGE lack of that in most all rap albums today so thats good..
lemme let it sink in alil more.. n terms of the worth, yeah... no quality albums these days soo..