is snoop dogg a snitch

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 28, 2002
Detectives working the case turned their suspicions into a working theory after learning that Snoop Dogg told the L.A. County Sheriff's office that Knight was behind Shakur's murder.

* Sean "Diddy" Combs has allegedly been uncooperative in the investigation of Wallace's death. "Puffy had made it clear from the start that he would be doing nothing to help police solve the murder,' Sullivan wrote. "Gregory Young, who had been sitting next to B.I.G. when he was shot to death, told [Detective Russell] Poole that Combs went so far as to tell the other members of the Bad Boy entourage that 'if our names even appear on a witness list, we're out of a job.' And now, suddenly, the other witnesses who were in the vehicle with B.I.G. on the night of his death also seemed to be losing their memories.

* People allegedly associated with Bay Area rappers E-40 and Too Short offered money to a confidential informant to assassinate Knight in prison for allegedly gunning down Shakur.

Aug 15, 2002
i know this is going to offend some of you "gangstas" on here

one of the things on Chuck Ds Christmas list:

FOR HIP HOP TO GET OFF THAT STOP SNITCHING TIP... Thug sht is outta hand. Rap is bridging jail mentality straight into the middle schools via radio and video overdosing. There's a big anti-snitching thing moving in the hoods of America, but dig this - the term 'snitch' was best applied to those that ratted revolutionaries like Huey P Newton, Bobby Seale, Che Guevera to the fascist governments during the 60's and 70s. Let's not let stupid cats use hip hop to again twist this meaning for the sake of some 'innerganghood' violent drug thug crime dogs, who've sacrificed the black community's women and children. Not the same ... and rap needs to speak and protect the people sometimes and not contribute to genocidal systems.

CoopDVill

Super Moderator
May 4, 2003
www.facebook.com
Wallnutz said:
i know this is going to offend some of you "gangstas" on here

one of the things on Chuck Ds Christmas list:

FOR HIP HOP TO GET OFF THAT STOP SNITCHING TIP... Thug sht is outta hand. Rap is bridging jail mentality straight into the middle schools via radio and video overdosing. There's a big anti-snitching thing moving in the hoods of America, but dig this - the term 'snitch' was best applied to those that ratted revolutionaries like Huey P Newton, Bobby Seale, Che Guevera to the fascist governments during the 60's and 70s. Let's not let stupid cats use hip hop to again twist this meaning for the sake of some 'innerganghood' violent drug thug crime dogs, who've sacrificed the black community's women and children. Not the same ... and rap needs to speak and protect the people sometimes and not contribute to genocidal systems.
A Few Things to Ponder About the Stop Snitchin' Movement
Monday - Dec 12, 2005
— Coopdvill

A Few Things to Ponder About the Stop Snitchin' Movement
By Davey D
Seems like there’s been a lot of talk and upset over the past few weeks about the proliferation of ‘Hip Hop’ style t-shirts sporting the slogan ‘Stop Snitching’. Alongside those t-shirts have been a number of high profile DVDs including one with NBA star Carmello Anthony bearing the same title or supporting the same theme-‘Stop Snitching’.
This slogan has gotten law enforcement officials upset who claim that these shirts and DVDs are nothing more then intimidation tactics which make their jobs harder because it reinforces the notion that witnesses to a crime should remain silent. These law enforcement officials are now scouring rap records and looking a bit more closely at activities within the Hip Hop community and then laying blame on an artist like Scarface who just released a song called ‘I Never Snitch’ and saying its people like him within Hip Hop who espouse such views who are to blame for all these unsolved crimes in the community. This sentiment has circulated and all of sudden we have this being the topic de jour on talk radio and in newspaper columns throughout the country.
Just the other day a reporter from a local Bay Area newspaper called me up to talk about this ‘new’ phenomenon. Please note the quotes around the word ‘New’. As I explained to the reporter this ‘Don’t Snitch’ ethos has been apart of our collective history since we merged or in the case of African Americans were dragged to the shores of this country.
Slaves who were either trying to escape the plantation or were engaged in activities that would help sustain them but could get them beat by their masters or Slave overseers knew better not to snitch. Over the years Black folks who found themselves engaged in the underground economy like running numbers or braiding hair or doing resistance in the Freedom struggle depended upon the community not to snitch.
But let’s put all this in perspective, what was being done was not unique to us as Black folks. Damn near every community you can think of ranging from Jews to Irish to Italians to Asians and Latinos have all and in many cases still do have a ‘Stop Snitching’ rule in place.
The fear of deportation or having one’s residency status questioned has resulted in a Don’t Snitch rule being pervasive in many immigrant communities. It gets reinforced when you have scenarios like the ones that impacted the Southeast Asian/ Cambodian community where folks found themselves being retroactively being deported after 9-11. For those who don’t know, a law went into effect that allowed immigration to look at the criminal records of Southeast Asians and then deport them. So you had folks who may have committed a small crime like smoking weed when they were a teenager suddenly being deported at age 35 for that particular crime.

CoopDVill

Super Moderator
May 4, 2003
www.facebook.com
With new vigilante groups like the Minute Men and growing hostility directed at Mexican and other Latino immigrants you can best believe that the Stop Snitching code is in effect.
The formation of the brutal Irish gangs which were depicted in the movie ‘Gangs of New York’ and were initially formed as a line of defense against those who were here before them could only have come about because of some sort of ‘Stop Snitching’ rule.
The Italian immigrants that followed the Irish and found themselves on the receiving end of brutality formed what we now call the Mafia. Those early manifestations of La Cosa Nostra took the whole ‘Stop Snitching code to new heights. In fact one may argue that the popularity of Godfather, Goodfella and Soprano type movies is what has made the Stop Snitching so popular to younger generations that were raised on such films.
But moving beyond movies, try and see how much information one will get for particular crimes in alleged ‘wise guy’ enclaves like Howard Beach (Queens) where the late Mafia Don John Gotti used to live or in places like Bensonhurst (Brooklyn). Don’t snitch is a time honored tradition with fatal consequences. Do you thinkfolks were eager to call the police and drop dimes on Mr. Gotti?
We can go on and on citing examples, but let’s move forward to where we find the irony in the ‘Stop Snitching’ debate. Let’s talk about the history and current activities and posture often taken by the one tax payer supported institution that has lived and died by the ‘Stop Snitching’ rule. That’s right I’m talking about the police. The Blue Wall of Silence in many departments holds more weight and in many cases has been stronger then all the ‘Stop Snitching t-shirts and rap records combined.
At least within Hip Hop and in various neighborhoods you have folks who will give up the information for a price either to get revenge on someone who wronged them but was doing dirt or curry a favor. That has happened all the time. During the numerous slave rebellions it was always a ‘snitch’ that got called the master, let him know what was up and got the slave revolt stopped. Within the Mob there was always a Sammy the Bull type cat who would go and squeal on his partners.
In my mind as I’m sure it is in most people’s minds, you have to go back to the 1970s and look at a cop like Frank Serpico who was willing to ‘Snitch’ on other cops. Of course when guys like Serpico spoke before the Knapp commission and snitched on his fellow officers we used words like ‘whistle-blower’ to describe what he was doing. But most of us are sure that the rank and file members probably called him a snitch and reinforced the Stop Snitching Rule.
Since then you have to look long and hard to find cops ‘Snitching’ on other cops. On the few occasions you do find cops testifying against other cops in criminal cases it’s only as the result of a plea bargain. Now when I talk to officers they tell me the Blue Wall has crumbled and that police officers routinely speak out about corruption and brutality within the ranks. That may or may not be so. What I do know is that if you ask the average cat on the street to cite some examples they couldn’t. Heck, even if I approach police watch type organizations they can’t name a lot of snitching cops.
The end result is this. We have hundreds of police brutality incidents taking place every year, with very few convictions on the criminal level and those responsible getting a slap on the wrist at most. The reason for this is because ‘The Stop Snitching’ code is in effect.
To further complicate things let’s talk about police corruption and how the ‘Don’t Snitching’ rule runs the gauntlet because you have guys on the corner who may be dealing drugs who give a kick back to the cops so they will turn the other way. We all know how the Mafia and other organized crime syndicates have long had dirty cops on payroll. My question is who is snitching on them? And is it wise to snitch to guy who is protecting the person you’re snitching on?
Just like the police often complain that they can’t get a conviction or solve important crimes because no one will come forth, well the same can be said for the police. You never see a cop going off to jail for unjustly beating down or in some cases shooting and killing someone, because as is depicted in popular TV cop shows like ‘The Shield’ no one is willing to ‘snitch’.
The other day 20 police officers were suspended in San Francisco for making offensive videos lampooning ethnic groups and women. Had it not been posted on the Internet and accidentally uncovered we would’ve never known about how are tax dollars are being spent. In other words no police officer who is charged with Protecting and Serving the community was willing to come forth and ‘snitch’ and talk about these offensive videos that were being made. If anything they've acted just as they have when countless brothers and sisters from the hood have been brutalized. They close ranks and
If you think I’m picking on the police too much let’s look at other areas where the ‘Stop Snitching’ Rule applies. Now we all know that there were some glaring discrepancies in how this War in Iraq got started. We all suspect that there was some blatant manipulation of important data. We all suspect that there were other agendas in place and we all suspect that there were some shady misdoings going on inside the White House. However, because the ‘Don’t Snitch’ rule is in full effect at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave all we are left with is our suspicions. Who knows maybe George Bush brought a bunch of Stop Snitching t-shirts gave them out to his staff to remind them about the importance of his “G” code.
If you have misgivings about George Bush, try getting somebody within Vice President Dick Cheney’s office to snitch. Its damn near impossible. Of course we have to keep in mind that words like snitch aren’t used when we bring this conversation on the level of politics. We say words like testify, leak and once again ‘whistle-blower’.
The other thing to keep in mind is that just like snitches tend to suffer consequences on the streets so whistle-blowers. It’s called being Blackballed or ‘not getting funding’ or in some cases being reassigned.
Lastly, on this topic of ‘Snitching’ let’s not forget how it plays out in media circles. Anybody who has ever worked in commercial radio knows all to well about the
‘Don’t Snitch’ rule. That’s why you rarely see industry insiders talking about sensitive topics like payola or contest riggings. To do so would result in you being blackballed or even in violation of your contract or severance package. Many media contracts have this little clause forbidding you to talk about ‘inside trade secrets’. Of course one could challenge the constitutionality of those provisions especially if a law was broken, but who has the time, money and resources to go that route?
Also related to media is the fiasco involving the outing of CIA agent Valerie Plame by so called esteemed newspaper columnist Robert Novack. He has held true to the Don’t Snitch’ rule and refused to reveal his sources as did fellow journalist Judith Miller who actually went to jail because she refused to snitch even after being subpoenaed. What’s interesting to note is that people like Miller actually get praised in many circles for not snitching’.
My overall point is that we have to keep in mind the call to ‘Stop Snitching’ has been around for a long time and in many communities. The only thing that Hip Hoppers’ did was make some damn t-shirts. But if you ask me I say, folks will be willing to open up and ‘sing like a canary’ when they see some of those who seat in the halls of power or who wear badges are willing to do the same with some sort of consistency. Until then I’m gonna have to chalk up this upset about ‘Stop Snitching’ shirts being sold as just plain old haterism coming from a group of people who wish they had thought of the idea first…
In closing I'm gonna leave you with a quote from my homegirl Lydia who holds it down over at Quannum Records which is home to Blackalicious and Lyrics Born ..
"the idea that a "stop snitching" t shirt or lyrical content in
commercially successful hip hop songs is generating a new era of
silence in communities of color and thus further hindering
police/authorities from cultivating "safety" and "ending violence" is
retarded..in my opinion, this is just another example of people outside the
community attempting to further marginalize people of color by
insinuating that the community itself is responsible for crimes by not
sharing info and ratting out their peers...
It's so easy to to blame lack of cooperation for the fact that police,
federal government and local government have no idea what's wrong, why
it's wrong or how to fix the fundamental issues within the communities
suffering. asking people to "snitch" is a lazy man's solution to a
much, much larger problem.

Nov 13, 2004
This thread is some bullshit. I wouldnt call what Snoop did snitching....I mean the nigga dont like suge. And plus, maybe he didnt mean it literally but more on a "Suges bad karma and bullshit" killed him. Thats like if a nigga smoke some sherm and then go run in the street and get hit by a car and dies, you could say the sherm killed him but really the car did him in.

Dec 17, 2004
just happened to watched "goodfellas" and "scent of a woman" yesterday. both movies end with a snitching theme. charlie doesnt snitch and gets a big hero speech from al pacino, ray liota snitches and he ends as a loser.
but i do think theres a difference between snitching and hurting others for the benefit of the selfish and just letting out information when its for the benefit of deserving people