Is rap going downhill?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Do you think rap is going downhill?

• I think its because of Internet, cd burners, downloading ect

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I think its because artists are focused on business end rather than making good music

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I think its because of oversaturation, gimmicks, lack of imagination and creativity

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I think its all of the above

Votes: 63 47.7%
  • I think its None of the above

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters
Dec 15, 2002
www.myspace.com
Rap isn't dead or dying it's just sittin' around sleepin' and waitin' for someone to wake it up again feel me? I agree with everyone who said that people are just puttin' out trash right now cause it's true! Seems like so many artists have lost that drive and hunger to make something good so instead they put together some wack shit and then try and feed it to us. On top of that EVERYONE and they momma wants to be a rapper so the game is super over-saturated with a bunch of wastetrials mane!

Nov 23, 2006
Matai said:
Rap isn't dead or dying it's just sittin' around sleepin' and waitin' for someone to wake it up again feel me? I agree with everyone who said that people are just puttin' out trash right now cause it's true! Seems like so many artists have lost that drive and hunger to make something good so instead they put together some wack shit and then try and feed it to us. On top of that EVERYONE and they momma wants to be a rapper so the game is super over-saturated with a bunch of wastetrials mane!
forreal

TM1

Sicc OG
Jun 15, 2006
Yes. most rappers today just try to make some new really catchy cathphrase to sell their crappy cds, but have shitty ass lyrics about the same stuff over and over. There are still good rappers out their putting out good music, but it doesn't sing like enough.

Dec 25, 2003
1. Too many rappers.

2. Same shit on the radio.

3. We have heard too much "rap" as a society. Other types of music get ignored. Once we experience more musical diversity, there will be more excitement in rap music.

Dec 25, 2003
I personally know someone who is has an awesome idea of establishing a new hip-hop subgenre but unfortunately he's probably won't see his mission take off just because the average people or average hip-hop crowd will not get into his creative and reelistic music and subject matter but ya gotta believe me, his music & style is entirely creative and original with absolutely no flaws whatsoever!!! He's an intelligent dude who can rap about topics that no other rapper can rap about!!! Ya gotta believe me in this, if he connects with the right fundamentals and hopefully the right people, he and his music will take off where it will truly become "The Hip-Hop of Tommorow!!!"
Again, he has so many ideas and concepts all stored in his head from ideas of his own sounds of production to even concepts of logos, track titles, and album cover art......

Mar 21, 2007
www.com
rap might die. I read in a couple of books that the way music is being handled...

rap might disappear just like rock & roll

I blame it on these artists..

instead of using their money on production,

they use it to

buy a whole bunch of shit they can't really afford

I hate rap...don't really listen to the new shit

mostly everything after 2003 has been fuckin garbage

Jan 1, 2006
I feel more artists need to step it up and stop following trends.

I wish rappers would be more creative and stop using cuss words.

Also I'd like for proper english to be used upon a track (Real talk, just because it rhymes doesn't mean it's ill)

I want shit to be more deep aswell as appealing

Some rappers in the game already do this but I don't think one track is enough. Not everyone in this world is a baller. So why rap about things the general public can't have? Why rap like drugs and hustling are the only way to stack? It's a cycle that needs to be broken

Jan 9, 2006
The Visualizer said:
I feel more artists need to step it up and stop following trends.

I wish rappers would be more creative and stop using cuss words.

Also I'd like for proper english to be used upon a track (Real talk, just because it rhymes doesn't mean it's ill)

I want shit to be more deep aswell as appealing

Some rappers in the game already do this but I don't think one track is enough. Not everyone in this world is a baller. So why rap about things the general public can't have? Why rap like drugs and hustling are the only way to stack? It's a cycle that needs to be broken
i dont think i agree with any of this, i think a big reason why rap is "asleep" or "goin down" is because everything now is watered down.

Matai

Sicc OG
Dec 15, 2002
www.myspace.com
Watered down, dying, sleeping, fading out or whatever anyone labels it, it's not it right now! In my opinion I say it's LIFE! Everthing has a beginning and an end no matter what it is and the same applies to ANY style of music! Or better yet, everything changes sooner or later and Rap is one of those changes goin' on TODAY! Rappers make commercial shit cause they want bread, tv, movies and whatever else can elevate their lifestyles! You can't tell me cats are really makin' hella bread on the streets right now by sellin' they shit out trunks anymore man! On top of that, we got a zillion and one rappers on every single block of this world all claimin' to be the next big thing but yet fail in showin' us how and why ya dig? Or it may be that ALLOT of you are scared of change and still stuck in them old days or should I say the 90's somewhere or early 2k's! Voice your opinion to your local radio stations if you don't like what they play! It's easy as hell to pick up a pen and write them something and even easier to mail it. As a matter of fact become a part of your local radio stations "(Listener Advisory Board)" and tell them what you think should be played or not played.

Mr Ceza

Xplosive Magazine
Jul 10, 2002
#1 REASON- Everyone is a RAPPER now. Not a fan anymore....They changed from buying everyone's shit to just hustling they're own shit when half the time its garbage or mediocre at best.

Feb 14, 2006
yes it is going downhill. Each year i have bought less and less new records
I used to buy albums if I know what area they were from (w/ out listening the cd) or the producer was familiar. Now just can´t do that too many disappointments, i have to hear the album first or know the artist earlier work, well the 2nd point don´t carry much weight on my purchases no more either.

Nov 23, 2005
www.moneymotivated.net
Mr Ceza said:
#1 REASON- Everyone is a RAPPER now. Not a fan anymore....They changed from buying everyone's shit to just hustling they're own shit when half the time its garbage or mediocre at best.
You say that, but, then, majority of the times these are the same artist you promote in your magazine.

The same artist promoted in Stash. The same artist promoted in Murder Dog, etc.etc.

I know it's a business and labels are paying for their artists' placement. But, I mean, it should some standard set. Some measure-ment of a product should be set.

I mean, me personally, I would want to brand my product with attributes that set me above and beyond the rest.

I don't understand. . .Niggas always complain about who's who and what's what in music. But, the same niggas ride around with their radio turned up to 40 playing "A Bay Bay" or some other whack ass shit.

Look man, if you a rapper do you. Don't let these DJ's or radio or anybody tell you what's hot or what's good or what kind of song you need to come up to be on. Don't let them niggas dictate your project. Make your shit your way.

Everybody's a rapper out because the standard set to be a rapper in the Bay is so low. Hell, even if I couldn't rap. . .I'd get in the game too. Because a nigga has to be thinking. . .Hell, I can come up with the kind of shit I hear on radio!!! Let alone I might be able to get some paper from it.

Music is not about being a good rapper anymore. It's about being a good hustler. And, that's the problem.

V.Jones

Jazzo

Master of Debauchery
Aug 18, 2003
Off the Grid
Mr Ceza said:
100% agree!!! I know folks have dreams, but a lot of these cats I've heard need to find another career. I'll be the first to admit that I have nothing beneficial to add to the rap game. That's why I'm a fan and not an artist, producer, etc... If not, then prove me and other fans wrong! Be original and not watered down. For me, the beat has a lot to do with if I buy the album or not. Most of the time I could care less about lyrics and all the stupid shit rappers are talking about. The only rappers that I really dig what is being said are artists like: E-40, Devin The Dude, Mac Dre and a few others. I feel like artists focus more on quantity than quality anymore. Kind of reminds me of Master P's No Limit run in the late 90's with all that garbage being released.

Jan 9, 2006
up2nogood said:
I think its because of oversaturation, gimmicks, lack of imagination and creativity
thats definatly the biggest reason why the industry is fucked right now, and...artists/producers/record company's can use this valuable information to their advantage.