IN OAKLAND WE ARE KILLING & DYING FOR RESPECT

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 6, 2006
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GrMBMJ2VlnY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GrMBMJ2VlnY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Apr 13, 2005
Gangsta Rock made me do it

Young minds are so fragile already,And then an outside force wants/feels the needs to force/ introduce another element into the equation like "rap music"?.
Putting A rap album in the hands of a child can have all different types of effects over the span of his life. Compare a child influenced & raised on classical piano and another who grew up listening to slick rick.Its not all bad,just the right types of rap needs to hit and others should get filtered out.

Do any of you KNOW of the conditions of PUBLIC schools in Oakland compared to other ones in the bay area?I do,,,Some 3rd world versus NASA type difference. U gotta c it to belive it.

J:M

Sicc OG
Feb 4, 2004
Gonna be even worse with thw 360 million dollar budget cut for schools money for after school programs gonna be cut bigger class rooms less teachers gonna be real crazy
Glad you up on that news, I'm not sure if there's others on siccness that are aware of current events which actually affect them. Unfortunately most don't care.

Dec 29, 2004
dumb ass town niggas with their faggot ass dreads and faggot ass dances and faggot ass niggas dancing on cars like go-go dancers and shit......the town is lame as fuck now lmao

Aug 18, 2006
Exactly, a lot of folks seem to believe that it's a white vs. the world thing, but it is really the haves vs. the have-nots and once you become a have you distance yourself from the have nots.
good point...WAR tactics, the use of deception to hide truth. To the power brokers your existence is about commerce,nothing more nothing less! They also understood the fact such an existence ostercizes the spirit and soul...and throw in some deliberate economic and social surpression the result is what we have today! A malevolent act it was and still is!!...For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. - Eph 6:12

Oct 19, 2004
In the last five years, 557 people were slain on the city's streets,
making Oakland the state's second-most murderous city, behind Compton.
Most victims are young, black men who are dying in forgotten neighborhoods
of East and West Oakland.
For the record Comptons had way less murders than Oakland in the last 5 yrs. CPT has had 211 homicides in the last 5 yrs. Its murders per capita (per 100,000 people) that put Oakland behind Compton and even still they damn near neck and neck...Richmond closely following in third. And no im not glorifying anything so dont go there.

More importantly until the things we value in our community change (ex. being from the hood, being a hustla, killa, drug dealer, the hardest, etc..) our communities will continue to be violent and self destructive.

Feb 8, 2006
our state officials are not working to better the low-income communities which is pretty evident and blatant.

"Schwarzenegger has asked for several cuts immediately, including $400 million from schools and community colleges, $33 million from Medi-Cal, $74 million from welfare programs and $25 million from a project at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center."

this will really help cities like oakland.

"The governor wants to take more than $1 billion from before- and after-school programs for low-scoring students, career and technical classes and the small-class-size program. He also wants to spend $358 million less on special education."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/11/MNCUUD91O.DTL

J:M

Sicc OG
Feb 4, 2004
our state officials are not working to better the low-income communities which is pretty evident and blatant.

"Schwarzenegger has asked for several cuts immediately, including $400 million from schools and community colleges, $33 million from Medi-Cal, $74 million from welfare programs and $25 million from a project at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center."

this will really help cities like oakland.

"The governor wants to take more than $1 billion from before- and after-school programs for low-scoring students, career and technical classes and the small-class-size program. He also wants to spend $358 million less on special education."

So? We can't always just throw money at the problem. This is the reason why nothing has been getting accomplished. We assume that throwing money at the problem will fix them. More than a quarter of the STATE'S budget is education for god's sake. I don't believe that even if education is 80&#37; of the budget, we'd still be in the same situation. I don't think it's the money, it's the actual education system that needs to be put in question. The governator is trying to fix the budget without taxing folks. It's just finance 101, money has to come from some where. Just based on the Oakland Unified School District, if you make a list of teachers and non-teachers, the list will be huge on the administration end. We gotta fix how the money is spent instead of just increasing budget year in and year out.

Apr 13, 2005
Dellums to Hire 70 New officers for 2008/Rookie Opd/Rapper "r.e.i.g.n"

This article states that 70 new Police officers are scheduled to hit the street for 2008,How many NEW RAP ARTIST are coming out of Oakland,Ca in 2008?

San Leandro native and Oakland Tech alumni, Ashlei Williams, 26 graduated as the class valedictorian in the 167th Oakland police academy. career as rapper R.E.I.G.N., which stands for Reaching Everyone In God's Name. Since she was 21, she has gathered a wide network of support by performing in schools, juvenile halls and churches from Los Angeles to Sacramento. She released her first CD of 16 original songs last year.

Dellums criticized for not hiring more police earlier

Christopher Heredia, Chronicle Staff Writer
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Oakland could have beefed up its police force under a public safety tax the city's voters approved in November 2004, but Mayor Ron Dellums and other city leaders declined to spend the money until citizens pressured them to act in the face of increasing crime and violence, officials said Thursday.
After Dellums vowed this week to increase the city's police force by nearly 10 percent this year, Police Chief Wayne Tucker said he will seek $6 million in federal and state grants as well as funds from the city's Measure Y to recruit and train new officers in the coming months.

City Councilwoman Jane Brunner said Thursday that the chief's forthcoming request to the council is long overdue. The money to recruit and train new police officers has been at the city's fingertips since voters approved the crime-fighting Measure Y parcel tax in 2004, she said.

"I think it's the chief that needed to come forward," Brunner said Thursday. "The mayor is his boss. The council's been asking for a plan for recruitment for some time. We've been waiting for the chief to tell us what it's going to cost. From day one, we said fill the department to 803 (officers); use Measure Y money. It's not the council who waited."
Dellums, in his state of the city address to the council on Tuesday, acknowledged that pressure from Oakland citizens led him to call for bringing the department to full strength - 803 officers - by the end of this year.
The department is about 70 officers short of the 803-member force authorized under Measure Y.
"If you ask people around Oakland, 'Do we need to be at 803?' - the answer is overwhelmingly yes," Dellums told the council. "Let's get it done."
Measure Y provides about $9 million a year in property and parking tax revenue for recruiting and training new officers who are assigned to community policing.
"I'm delighted that now the attention is on it from the mayor's speech, I think it will happen," Brunner said. "Crime is the most important issue in the city."
Tucker said he hopes to use the extra money to expand the city's recruitment beyond the Bay Area to try to hire retiring members of the military and graduates from college criminal justice programs around the nation.
If the council approves Tucker's $6 million request, it will not be the first time elected officials have thrown money in the pot for recruiting and training police officers. In 2006, the council gave Tucker $2.8 million to bring the department up to full staffing, but the city has had difficulty meeting that goal because of a lack of qualified academy candidates and officers who are retiring at a rate of five per month.
The city is also facing competition from law enforcement agencies across the nation, which are also short of officers.
Tucker, a former Alameda County assistant sheriff, said he is talking with Alameda County about establishing a large academy to train Oakland police recruits at the county sheriff's training center in Dublin.
The plan Dellums unveiled this week also calls for working with the Peralta Community College District to develop a program to prepare academy applicants and establish incentives to keep older officers on the force longer.
Dellums, Tucker and other city staff put a magnifying glass on the city's officer recruitment and training efforts to learn why they weren't producing the results that officials and residents wanted, said David Chai, the mayor's chief of staff.
"The important answer here is that we are going to get to 803 by the end of the year," Chai said. "We're committed to making the streets safe and getting more cops. People are always going to say you could do more, act faster. We laid down an aggressive marker to get this done. That's the important thing, to look forward, not backward."
SAN LEANDRO - ASHLEI WILLIAMS sees her careers as a Christian rap artist and now as an Oakland police officer as both helping serve people. "What I do on my own time, I can now do as a career and make a difference in someone's life," the 26-year-old said.
Williams, a San Leandro resident, was born and raised in Oakland and graduated valedictorian from the 162nd Oakland Police Department Academy on Thursday.
Out of the 47 students who entered the academy, 21 graduated, according to Sgt. Mary Guttormson, an academy coordinator.
Williams doesn't see being a valedictorian as making her any better than her classmates.
"I just got one more point. We're all equal," she added. "Yes, I gave 100 percent. I just applied myself."
For the honor, she spoke at the graduation ceremony, drew first for shifts and was first to pick her badge number. She started as a patrol officer Saturday and was looking forward to serving the community she grew up in and learning as much at every level as possible.
Williams has family in law enforcement but more in firefighting and was planning on becoming a firefighter until about a year ago. She was training to be a paramedic while working as a personal trainer at 24-Hour Fitness, where two of her clients were Oakland police officers.
"If I don't try something, I'm never going to know if I could do it. I could potentially miss an opportunity or die tomorrow," Williams said. "People have desires in their minds. The worst thing that could happen is I don't like it." She applied to San Leandro and Pleasanton police departments but really moved forward with her application for Oakland police.
Throughout the six-month police academy, Williams kept up her career as rapper R.E.I.G.N., which stands for Reaching Everyone In God's Name. Since she was 21, she has gathered a wide network of support by performing in schools, juvenile halls and churches from Los Angeles to Sacramento. She released her first CD of 16 original songs last year.
Before becoming a rapper, Williams said she planned on becoming an actor, and studied one year after graduating from Oakland Tech High School at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy in New York City, until returning home for a summer. She penned her first song and found she enjoyed music as much as her audiences enjoyed her.
"Acting ties into ministry. I understand the stage and how to use it for me doing music," Williams added.
She takes her rapping career seriously and performs three weekends a month — one performance even happened between two police academy firearms tests. But she maintained that the police academy was her first priority.
Williams said she ultimately wants to go into investigative work.
"I like conversing with people," she said. "Getting them to talk to you and solve a crime."
She said the tactical practical training exercises were the most challenging part of the academy. Like the Oakland Police Department slogan, "It's more than you think," she said she grew more mentally than physically.
Her biggest concern is the way people look at police officers in uniform.
"I don't change," she said. "I don't put on a police officer uniform and change into a superhero."