I think the term "New Bay" was better for the Bay than "HYPHY movement"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 5, 2005
Look at the SOUTH for example. Everthing that came out from the south in the previous years when CRUNK took the nation by storm was damn near considered CRUNK. However, a lot of southern artists benefited from that movement and look at how many doors have opened for them. The HYPHY movement is only leading us into the right direction. Since the Bay and the SOuth are very simlar we need to get all of our production on point, but we need to keep flooding the music industry with more of this hyphy music so that more local artists can get signed by major record labels. Artist names need to become more established in the mainstream level if we want our region to be heard. If we cant keep up with the momentum, we will once again be overlooked. One person can't put us back on the map. The Bay needs to unify as a whole to put us back on the mainstream map.

Apr 22, 2005
yeah but the South is a big ass region.There was moere than one sound there so when the doors opened for them.They took advantage of it by showing all sides of their music,mostly that gangsta shit but still they doin it right now.But even tho they shinin they gettin played out by the mainstream too and startin to all sound the same again,mainstream-wise.We're much smaller so even if hyphy opens the door for more of our artists,most of them will prolly have already hopped on the hyphy train instead of doing the music they would have without the hyphy influence.I see what your saying tho but I think too many people will be focusing on making what they think will get them signed instead of doing what we're known for which is going against the grain and constantly coming up with new shit.Not just what is expected of us.We shouldnt only rely on one artist like you said but the same goes for the type of music we put out.We shouldnt only rely on hyphy to showcase the real talent out here,feel me?

Mar 2, 2006
All 4 the Bay said:
Look at the SOUTH for example. Everthing that came out from the south in the previous years when CRUNK took the nation by storm was damn near considered CRUNK. However, a lot of southern artists benefited from that movement and look at how many doors have opened for them. The HYPHY movement is only leading us into the right direction. Since the Bay and the SOuth are very simlar we need to get all of our production on point, but we need to keep flooding the music industry with more of this hyphy music so that more local artists can get signed by major record labels. Artist names need to become more established in the mainstream level if we want our region to be heard. If we cant keep up with the momentum, we will once again be overlooked. One person can't put us back on the map. The Bay needs to unify as a whole to put us back on the mainstream map.
don't you think that by floooding the music industry with hyphy, we're only hookin up artists who have that "hyphy" sound? What if you're an artist with a hiero type sound, or jacka type sound, that ain't gonna help them. I just think that by overdoing hyphy, we're gonna become less creative as a whole. And that's what the bay USED to be know for, straight creativity. People like e-40 didn't give a fuck what others thought and did his own thing. This hyphy thing is tight, but we known for other shit too you know.

Apr 22, 2005
thizzle925 said:
don't you think that by floooding the music industry with hyphy, we're only hookin up artists who have that "hyphy" sound? What if you're an artist with a hiero type sound, or jacka type sound, that ain't gonna help them. I just think that by overdoing hyphy, we're gonna become less creative as a whole. And that's what the bay USED to be know for, straight creativity. People like e-40 didn't give a fuck what others thought and did his own thing. This hyphy thing is tight, but we known for other shit too you know.
bam lol exactly what you said man.Hyphy even closin out mobb music,not just Hiero and Coup type music.You hit the nail on the head tho mane.:cool:

Mar 2, 2006
Al Boo Boo said:
bam lol exactly what you said man.Hyphy even closin out mobb music,not just Hiero and Coup type music.You hit the nail on the head tho mane.:cool:
yea forreals though, i would love to see someone from hieroglyphics blow up or somethin. I mean, look at kanye west, his lyrics are dumbed down compared to ALL of the hiero crew. People front like kanye got the best lyrics. I mean, while his lyrics okaaay, most people don't realize its his BEATS that got him popular. Now there is a difference between beats and lyrics, lol. Let's be honest here, kanye's lyrics are not astounding, but can you imagine what would happen if something from the likes of Del went mainstream? That shit would blow everyone outta the water forreal. I think its time we diversify our radioplay. Show em' that we got a "kanye" too, but our shit is better. What about our R&B scene? Mike Marshall would destroy Nate Dogg, R-Kelly, or whatever other shit there is out there. He's on his own level, he got his own class. We're MORE THAN JUST HYPHY. It's time we got some love, from other avenues besides hyphy. I feel ya pain tho man, haha.

Apr 5, 2005
^^^^^then again how many great lyricist do you know have gotten the attention they deserved? im not saying they have to be a hyphy artist to put out good music. But its a good idea for the non-hyphy artists to go with the flow and put our a couple tracks or become features. Not everyone in the south is a crunk artist, but the crunk genre has created opportunities for other artists. Look at Mike Jones, Paul Wall, Young Jeezy, and Chamillionarie. None of these artist are from the crunk genre, but still got the chance to shine.

Mar 2, 2006
All 4 the Bay said:
^^^^^then again how many great lyricist do you know have gotten the attention they deserved? im not saying they have to be a hyphy artist to put out good music. But its a good idea for the non-hyphy artists to go with the flow and put our a couple tracks or become features. Not everyone in the south is a crunk artist, but the crunk genre has created opportunities for other artists. Look at Mike Jones, Paul Wall, Young Jeezy, and Chamillionarie. None of these artist are from the crunk genre, but still got the chance to shine.
I feel what you're sayin, and you're right in a way. But anybody who doesn't have that laid back gangsta sound, club sounds or whatever is gettin fucked in the bay man. But peeps like Mike Marshall for example might get blown up later cuz a quinn track might leak out or whatever. You're right, a lot of people do get helped, but a lot of people also get left behind.

Jun 13, 2002
"New Bay" seemed kinda square, lol......Hyphy Movement is better......altho, i hate the fact that niggas is expecting EVERYBODY to get hyphy now, cuz da sound does get annoying, lol

C

CCCUser925

lightweight, semi, mid,low,old bay same shit to me....only thing i dont like about this hyphy movement..is mothafuckas trying to get on it, knowin they wack as fuck...i mean ..we have mothafuckas from Gilroy and other non-bay area cities trying to rap about gettin hyphy, being at oakland sideshows...really tho...i rarely see any sideshows now a days...and how in the fuck these wack ass myspace rappers tha aint from the bay talkin about scrapin in oakland? when i dont think they ever been to a sideshow in the 1st place....like i been sayin....all you rappers tryin to get on the hyphy movement...LET THE PRO'S DO IT..yall just kick back and stop givin this movement a bad name..

Apr 5, 2005
^^^^^^why do you think all the artists who are representing this hyphy movement are already established rappers? The newbies are already being outshined. You dont even have to worry about them. Are they on the radio making moves? are they making a name for themselves? the answer is hell no!

May 31, 2005
im tired as fuck so i didnt read what u said....but ima agree with you just on the title of the thread...the hyphy movement sounds corny and a lot of the rest of the country think its just a rip of CRUNK.... the new bay woulda sounded better...

Mar 2, 2006
Meelo said:
im tired as fuck so i didnt read what u said....but ima agree with you just on the title of the thread...the hyphy movement sounds corny and a lot of the rest of the country think its just a rip of CRUNK.... the new bay woulda sounded better...
The new bay, like the old bay wasn't tight? IMO the new bay woulda been weak. Man i can use some grapes right now. :cheeky:

May 31, 2005
thizzle925 said:
The new bay, like the old bay wasn't tight? IMO the new bay woulda been weak. Man i can use some grapes right now. :cheeky:
naw see thats where cats gettin it twisted, it doesnt have shit to do with the past....it had to do with everybody in the bay steppin they muthafuckin game up in the last couple of years, and demandin the spot light back over here.. EVERYBODY. not just "hyphy" rappers, and really there is no fuckin hyphy rappers..except for the federation who made their whole career off that shit.

Mar 2, 2006
Meelo said:
naw see thats where cats gettin it twisted, it doesnt have shit to do with the past....it had to do with everybody in the bay steppin they muthafuckin game up in the last couple of years, and demandin the spot light back over here.. EVERYBODY. not just "hyphy" rappers, and really there is no fuckin hyphy rappers..except for the federation who made their whole career off that shit.
I feel ya. But do you know what the moral of the story is now? It means that in order for us to get radioplay/attention, we have to use gimmicks like "crunk" and "hyphy." This being due to the ignorance and lack of curiosity of the Average hip-hop listener. Otherwise, we ain't gonna get the nationwide attention. In my opinion we were doing fine without hyphy or new bay or whatever gimmick we have to throw out there. But I ain't hatin on any of the bay's movement, i support that shit, cuz i like it. As a matter of fact, the whole hyphy thing is just a reflection of how we "dont give a fuck" in the bay. It ain't even about the word, we just lettin listeners know what's up. We ain't afraid to act a fool and be different. One luv.

lol that sounded cheesy but what the hell, it's the truth man.

Jul 1, 2002
nah that new bay term was hella gay, couldnt see myself reppin it and i think neither could alot of other people, the hyphy movement is koo i like it but the fact of the matter is none of this shit was good until mac dre died...the hyphy movement is bascially everyone doin tha mac dre, so unless this leads 2 another sound...the bay aint goin nowhere

Nov 14, 2005
The new bay is the big picture, hyphy is a catagory inside the new bay. the Hyphy movement is new (the word hyphy isnt but the hyphy movement is). so the new bay should be seen as the new music were puttin out. thats the way i see it. so fuck it...... NEW BAY!

Feb 28, 2006
Scyance said:
I HATED THAT TERM?? what the F? is the NEW BAY?.. Some NEW undiscovered land?... Naw.. its the same BAY... Saying NEW BAY, I felt.. didn't give respect to the Og's that set up this game for us now.. so how are we going not to promote them too? when alot of them are still doing their thang?.. they set this shit up for us.. and we say thanks. but now we doing this NEW BAY shit.. so they're out?.. It just seemed disrespectful to all the OG bay artist who set this shit up for us, and still doing their thang. The Bay needs to support the BAY.. not just the new cats? not just the old.. but the ones making good music. (period)

Check us out!!. ;)

www.StraightTripping.com
we outta SAn Jo!!

hahahahahah "new land" that funny .