I think the term "New Bay" was better for the Bay than "HYPHY movement"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 22, 2005
I think the term "New Bay" was better for the Bay than "HYPHY movement"

Think about it.Sayin New Bay only meant reppin the Bay with whatever new sound was coming from here.Whether it was hyphy shit,mobb shit,backpack shit or whatever the fuck you did.It represented basically the new generation of mc's here and could have been used to describe a wide variety of music being put out from THE BAY AREA.All it was sayin is this is the NEW BAY sounds coming from these NEW BAY generations and some folks took it the wrong way.

You had hella og's hatin the term like it was a diss to them in the first place when it wasnt.I think alot of them were scared of getting forgotten when all they had to do was put out some more shit.Now they done contradicted themselves by fuckin up the "new Bay" saying.Cuz now we got "THE HYPHY MOVEMENT" and with that,you either put out hyphy shit or you aint reppin whats hot in the Bay.I think its all fucked up.We could have had the hyphy movement within the NEW BAY but nope.Now if you wanna get heard on the radio your shit gotta be stupid dumb retarted mane yadadadadig'ish or it aint gettin love at all.Not only that but since HYPHY wasnt a type of music in the first place,if it blows up your gonna have all kinds of misinterpretations of the word,the movement,the music and whatever else.But thats because it wasnt a movement to begin with.I know I 'm gonna get some fools in here not understanding what I'm sayin and try to diss but I think it would have been better to rep the term "New Bay" and have everybody do they own thing musically under that name instead of conforming and having to make what they think people will buy.What yall think?

Btw I aint much of a fan of Balance or Frontline(they got their slaps tho)but I'm really speaking on the term they came up with to rep these new sounds coming from here rather than those artists(frontline and balance) music.

To sum it all up...

New Bay=whatever sound your repping from whatever city your repping.Say what you want how you want to while still repping the Bay

Hyphy Movement=One sound,one mentallity

but than again maybe the term New Bay wouldnt get as much attention nationally,but is that all we want?

EDIT:If not the term NEW BAY than what should it be? Cuz I dont think "hyphy movement" reps the whole Bay the way it should if we are to be exposed to the masses.

Jan 19, 2006
didnt read the post

but "new bay" seems to close to "new coke"

unless you just wanna do this so you can get "bay classic" and have e40 release "in a major way pt2"

Dec 31, 2002
www.StraightTripping.com
I HATED THAT TERM?? what the F? is the NEW BAY?.. Some NEW undiscovered land?... Naw.. its the same BAY... Saying NEW BAY, I felt.. didn't give respect to the Og's that set up this game for us now.. so how are we going not to promote them too? when alot of them are still doing their thang?.. they set this shit up for us.. and we say thanks. but now we doing this NEW BAY shit.. so they're out?.. It just seemed disrespectful to all the OG bay artist who set this shit up for us, and still doing their thang. The Bay needs to support the BAY.. not just the new cats? not just the old.. but the ones making good music. (period)

Check us out!!. ;)

www.StraightTripping.com
we outta SAn Jo!!

Dec 3, 2004
www.ap9online.com
i think everyone will agree that the golden era of bay area hip hop was that mobb shit that we all know and love, but i think the hyphy movement has a better chance of going national and gettin those radio spins, we'll have to wait and see. but my shit will alwaysbe the mobb sound fo life.

Apr 5, 2005
Al Boo Boo said:
man go read what I wrote before responding so you dont look like you dont know what your talking about.
I thought u figured it out on BART already. In case you didnt. Not a lot of folks on here like or know how to read. Meaning, you are not likely going to get many responses. But I can understand where you are going with this. A lot of folks, if not all have misinterpreted the term NEW BAY that it's directed for just the younger artists rather than a new sound coming out of the bay. People don't like the term because they feel they are being disrespected and left out. Even Messy Marv said he had nothing against the NEW BAY on the "im so hood" track off BULLYS WITH FULLYS 3. To tell you the truth though, I don't think the term NEW BAY is as appealing as the term HYPHY. The word HYPHY is used everyday and is widely accepted throughout the Bay Area. It used to be an expression as well all know, but made its transition into a way of life and culture. In addition, HYPHY music has been blowing up ever since the song HYPHY came out which over shadowed the "NEW BAY" term.

Apr 4, 2005
new bay was watever at first, then balance and frontline really shut dat shit down and made it seem like they was the only cats who could be considered the "New Bay," and dats when it became weak.......

Apr 22, 2005
^@Pioneer,you got a point man.But I think thats cuz the older cats kinda cornered them into it so nobody else ended up backing it too.

^@650 D naw thats with the help of Sway and Lil Jon's promoting.I aint sayin 40 wouldnt of jumped off but I think those are big factors when it comes to the "love" mtv has been showing lately.

All 4 the Bay said:
I thought u figured it out on BART already. In case you didnt. Not a lot of folks on here like or know how to read. Meaning, you are not likely going to get many responses. But I can understand where you are going with this. A lot of folks, if not all have misinterpreted the term NEW BAY that it's directed for just the younger artists rather than a new sound coming out of the bay. People don't like the term because they feel they are being disrespected and left out. Even Messy Marv said he had nothing against the NEW BAY on the "im so hood" track off BULLYS WITH FULLYS 3. To tell you the truth though, I don't think the term NEW BAY is as appealing as the term HYPHY. The word HYPHY is used everyday and is widely accepted throughout the Bay Area. It used to be an expression as well all know, but made its transition into a way of life and culture. In addition, HYPHY music has been blowing up ever since the song HYPHY came out which over shadowed the "NEW BAY" term.
lol I know they dont be readin but good post man.You seem to know where I was coming from.

If not NEW BAY than I wish there were at least a term or whatever that didnt box alot of our artists sound into whats suppose to be "hot" .Our whole scene aint hyphy,even Frisco shit but it'll get looked at like that cuz thats whats reppin the whole Bay mainstream-wise right now

Sep 24, 2004
So what was the definition of THE NEW BAY? was it a particular sound or did the emcees have a new cadence?

The so-called Old Bay was very diverse but folks continue to put it in the Mobb Music category.

Apr 22, 2005
Poisonpen said:
So what was the definition of THE NEW BAY? was it a particular sound or did the emcees have a new cadence?

The so-called Old Bay was very diverse but folks continue to put it in the Mobb Music category.

well now that I look back on my subject of this thread.Really I guess I was looking for a term for our whole music scene and imo NEW BAY best represented it.But since that gets alot of negative responses I'm wondering what can out music be labeled beside hyphy movment since not everybody is on that hype? I dont know what frontline and them definition of NEW BAY was but I looked at it as just the new sounds coming from here,whether it was from new artists or old.I never even thought of it as a diss until I heard some older srtists talkin like it was.Maybe this hyphy movement should be replaced with THE BAY AREA MOVEMENT or NOR-CAL something something lol but I dont like everything coming out having to conform to the hyphy sound if they want to get shown love on the radio.

Apr 22, 2005
by the way you make a good point about that mobb music,it was very diverse but still to this day is thrown in that category but then again the quality of music on all sides was much better back than too.

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
Good points AL.
I don't like the fact that u gotta be hyphy to be considerd new and hip for the bay.
Buy I gotta producer named TEAZM that's gonna freak tha whole sound while keeping it dope..that's all ill say on that one now.

I have even resorted to making a hyphy track ahhh. Didn't want to but I think it'll be kool. Ill post it up when its complete.
Peaaaaace!

Mar 2, 2006
I think the reason why hyphy blew up, and new bay didn't was cuz E-40 was more for that hyphy shit. Who's gonna win the battle in terms of radio-play, the "movement" that e-40 supports, or the one that locksmith, left, and balance support? I think that's the answer right there in my opinion.