Hmmmm. Re: UFC 151

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
WELL WHY WOULD JONES PUT UP HIS TITLE VS SOMEONE WHO HASN'T FOUGHT A MATCH AT 205 ON 8 DAYS NOTICE?? HE HAS EVERYTHING TO LOSE....
Jones just set a terrible example as a World Champion though, the first fighter in the 11 year history of Zuffa owned UFC to turn down a fight. The UFC said Chael is the only person that would step up, hence Chael got the offer. During the press conference they said they even explained to him all the sponsor money and everything all the undercard fighters are gonna lose if Jones don't show up and he still went the selfish route.

How can you call yourself a World Champion fighter and not be prepared to fight anybody? Shogun had to fight Jon Jones on short notice instead of Rashad, that's how Jones because the fucking champion, but he won't do the same.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Also people keep bringing up that Jon Jones only has 8 days notice lol Jon Jones had a FULL training camp. Jon Jones is probably in the best shape of his life right now. What the fuck kind of other notice does he need? Is 8 days not enough to watch tape on Chael?

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Jones own teammates are going at him on twitter now lol

Cowboy Cerrone ‏ M @MattSonzeezy cerrone
NEVER TURN DOWN ANY FIGHT! fight is what i do!!

Marc Nolan ‏ B @blockboi913 Nolan
Palmer @Palmer garcia C @CPTNDD smma @ufc M @MattSonzeezy cerrone you heard it here....BLAME C @CHRIS.E nyBones lol. Leonard Garcia says BLAME C @CHRIS.E nyBones lol haha
Retweeted by Cowboy Cerrone

Jackson Gym old schoolers Cowboy and Leonard Garcia are even blaming Jones for this shit.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Man Jones is a hoe st8 up! There is no other way to look at it! Sonnen pulled his card and he got trumped! I hope Machida slaps him silly on the 22nd. Got Em!!

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Great post from Sherdog...

As a now former fan of Jon Jones, I find his failure to step up like a true champ for the his fellow fighters, the fans, the UFC, his new sponsor, and the whole damn sport, nauseating and utterly indefensible. If you're trying to defend this, you're not hugging on his nuts, you're choking on them.

There's simply no angle where refusing to fight and sinking a whole card make any sense. As a businessman, you take this fight for the check. And dealing with a divisive personality like Chael, win or lose, worst case scenario, there's even a lucrative rematch down the road. Also, you don't jerk around your revenue stream. The fans pay the UFC and Nike, who in turn pay Jon. And he just screwed them all.

As a warrior, and especially a champion, you take on all comers. If everyone is fighting for a shot at you, sure, wait and see who proves themselves worthy. But if there's just that one crazy bastard willing to rise up and challenge you, you have absolutely got to meet that challenge.

As a MAN, you don't deprive another man of his opportunity to provide for his family. No matter what you do, you can't make that right. The other fighters on that card aren't looking for a handout. They didn't bleed and sweat their way through camp so that Jonny Bones could oh-so-graciously cut them a check or whatever the hell he thinks would fix this. They were coming to fight. They were coming to earn their keep and advance their careers.

I always try to avoid all the nuthugger vs. hater garbage, as it's almost always thoroughly idiotic, particularly as it pertains to such a polarizing fighter as Bones. He's smug and fake? So what? A kid that young who could beat the brakes off of 99% of the population is gonna be a little full of himself, period. He really doesn't need to try and act humble, the fact that he recognizes that it's a quality trait and even bothers is admirable enough. His creativity, almost reckless at times, coupled with his very real talent and marketability was pushing the envelope for MMA. He is entertaining and he WAS helping to grow and evolve the sport. For that I WAS a fan. No more, not after this prima donna B.S.

As for Chael Sonnen, love him or hate him (a whole different matter, filled with generally absurd arguments on both sides), you have got to respect his willingness to step up on short notice. Some have said he has nothing to lose, which is ridiculous. How many cracks at a title shot do you really think he's gonna get? And he's willing to go up against a monster like Jones on 8 days notice, almost certainly dropping to 0-1 vs. the reigning champ? An opportunity like this isn't much better than not getting it to begin with, especially since it could burn a better shot later. So, for that, WAR SONNEN.

I feel like I have no choice but to partake of the Haterade... and offer up a big F*CK YOU, Jon.

Oct 11, 2009
WHY NOT JUST LET HIM FIGHT MACHIDA ON THE 1ST INSTEAD OF PUTTING IT ON THE 152 CARD?? THAT WOULD MAKE MORE SENSE SINCE HE'S NEXT UP ANYWAY... IT'S NOT LIKE HE TOOK MUCH DAMAGE A FEW WEEKS AGO...

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
WHY NOT JUST LET HIM FIGHT MACHIDA ON THE 1ST INSTEAD OF PUTTING IT ON THE 152 CARD?? THAT WOULD MAKE MORE SENSE SINCE HE'S NEXT UP ANYWAY... IT'S NOT LIKE HE TOOK MUCH DAMAGE A FEW WEEKS AGO...
Machida was mid air on a flight back to Brazil when all this was going down, if he took the fight while on the flight he would have to land then have to reboard, take another 2 days worth of flights and step off the plane with like 5 days lol Dana didn't want to do that to him

Dec 12, 2006
Im a huge Chael fan but its not like hes a complex fighter, he does the same thing every single time, and Jones is clearly in better shape.

I wouldnt bet a dollar on Chael to win that fight but I give him all the respect in the world for stepping up to fight Jon Bones Jones

Jul 24, 2005
Exactly. Jones' massive payday would have been even more huge.

Jones' is fucking scared of losing his Nike contract, guaranteed. It sucks that undercard fighters who only get sponsor money if they fight won't get shit because the guy with the guaranteed sponsor money is scared to lose his sponsor.

agreed but me as a man would not have did that to anyone it hard out here and for jones to do that to 16 other fighter is crazy he's in the fight business that's his job

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Jon Jones killed Joe Rogan's comedy show at the same venue that week from this too, holy shit the river of shit that rolled down hill from Jon Jones saying no to a fight

Joe Rogan ‏ B @Bob-o rogan

I am completely bewildered that Jon Jones didn't accept the fight with Chael Sonnen. Never saw that coming in a million years.

Now the entire UFC card is scrapped because Jones didn't accept a fight with a 185lb'er who is completely out of shape. WOW. Just wow.

People coming to my show at Mandalay Bay on Friday the 31st- because of the UFC canceling the event, Mandalay is canceling the show as well.

All the folks that bought tickets in advance can get a full refund. My humble apologies, it's completely out of my control.

Jul 24, 2005
Dana White: 'If you are the best in the world in your weight class, you definitely shouldn't be worried about fighting a 185lber' #UFC

Feb 12, 2004
Jon Jones went down in my book. I bet Wanderlei or Chuck never turned down a fight when they were champs and said bring any motherfucker on when they were offered a fight against ANYONE in the world. SMH.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Jon Jones went down in my book. I bet Wanderlei or Chuck would of said bring that motherfucker on when they were offered a fight against ANYONE in the world. SMH.
Wand has already done it lol he took the Mark Hunt fight on only 2 days notice and he was outweighed by 80lbs. Fucking warrior plain and simple.

Jon Jones basically said it in an interview a few days ago, he's not a fighter he's a "business man"

Feb 10, 2006
damn this is sad but awful news...i just got out of work n seen this shit,WTF!!! Jones is a coward, plain and simple...

Feb 12, 2004
Wand has already done it lol he took the Mark Hunt fight on only 2 days notice and he was outweighed by 80lbs. Fucking warrior plain and simple.

Jon Jones basically said it in an interview a few days ago, he's not a fighter he's a "business man"

Not only that, but Wand didn't need some fucking nerd in his corner manipulating the rules and coming out with the lamest and play it safe game plans. Wand stood toe to toe with the k1 world grand prix champion.

WAR WAND! FUCK JONES!!