Gang Wars "Sactown Bloods vs. Sactown Crips"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
I

Instigator

DE, how do you respond to those who say that this album does nothing more than perpetuate and glorify gang violence, regardless of the amount of proceeds going to gang prevention programs? Doesn't the success of this album rest on the fact that many young people believe that gang life is positive rather than negative, and will be attracted to this album because of the "real life gang members" who appear on it? If the purpose of the album is to truly put a stop to gang violence, especially in Sacramento, shouldn't rappers who are not gang affiliated appear to spread this message, to show kids that there is another way?

As a long-time fan and supporter of your music, I am interested in knowing your position and how you came about with this particular idea. Generally, I have heard you preach out against gang violence. Yet, in this case, it seems that you are trying to profit from it.

Oct 14, 2004
It dont believe its so much promoting it, as it is making people aware of what goes down through music. And better for the beef to be on wax then more coffins being built for all the wrong reasons.

I

Instigator

Rob S4,

Aren't we all painfully aware of what goes down out here already? I certainly agree that it is much better for the beef to be on wax, rather than on the street. But will this album actually help to do that? Sadly, I envision this project's intentions being misconstrued by the kids who will listen to it. As I look at the cover art and tracklisting for this album, I have serious doubts that the listeners will be purchasing this album with the thought of ending gang violence guiding their decision.

Maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse here and need to hear the actual album first.

I grew up with the bloods and have made hits with the crips. "Gang Wars" has no bias.

First off, when Lynch, Mr Doc, and C Bo were "Seasonin'", "Setrippin'", and "Chamberin'", I was workin in the heart of 29th St (Florin Meadows) tutorin maf and runnin gang prevention programs, as a teenager. I have done the same in G Parkway and Burbank High School. I have been active in the South Sac community for 10 years.

The Purpose of "Gang Wars" is a 6 mouf gang truce in the Sac Valley. When deciding how to present this message, I thought, "What if I gathered up 16 people that have real life gang influence, let then do their thing to tight DE and Beta beats, then deliver The Purpose?" I realized this was the best way to get the attention of the Sac gang bang community. If I released an album with "rappers who are not gang affiliated to spread this message, to show kids that there is another way?", my target audience for this would throw it out the window.

There have been 15 gang related murders in the Sac Valley in 2005. The goal of "GW" is to decrease that number to 0 threw July 19 to Jan 2006, after the Hmong New Years Festival. No matter what the media and public think of this album, it is sure to cause discussion.

Also, I wanted a way to provide needed monies to underfunded, gang prevention programs that have been overlooked by Arnie and Nunez. I promised God and the Sac community that America's facination with gangs would lead to positive results for Sac inner city youth.

Good art reflects reality. If there wasnt a real gang war in Sac right now, there would be no "Gang Wars" album.

I look forward to your reviews.

I

Instigator

Thank you, DE, for your thoughtful response and further explanation of what this album is about. I am aware of your credentials and the work that you've done in the South Sacramento community. It was because of this that I first raised my eyebrows at this project. Working with the youth in Sacramento everyday, I too have seen the devastating reality of gang life here firsthand. I do truly hope that the purpose of Gang Wars is realized. Good luck to you.

I am getting some very negitive feedback on this album from all around. I need to clear up some things.

Some DE fans feel that the mixing is awkward. They are having a hard time getting used to it. I have stange "high" mixes because this album is supposed to take you back to the early '90s. Underground Sac music, as heard on First Degree The DE's "Before There Was Fahrenheit", has a lot of reverb on voices. Growin up listenin to "Black Rage", and "X Unknown", I grew to love the sound of over effects. Some of you will not like the sound. Some will not like the sound at first then grow to love it. Some were expected gang bang "I hate you" shit. THIS IS A RAP COllABORATION featuring people who Ive seen that are popular in their neighborhood. I have mis-used the term "gang leader".

I also got a couple of bad resposes from some of the artists on the album. I approached them about a "Sactown gangbang album for peace". A couple of the artists feel the cover and my posts misrepresents them and misrepresents the purpose of the album. 6 MONTHS OF PEACE.

This is a rap collabo over DE and Beta beats, not a fightin, beefin, negitivity album. I hope my posts havent mislead you. Its about being proud of were you are from and and still living a positive lifestyle.

Oct 14, 2004
Fuck what people think D.E. I know that its better then them shooting each other in the streets. I would rather a rap cd then more people dying that dont need to.

May 4, 2002
www.myspace.com
MzThicK said:
beta is MOS def not a blood

and even tho he may not BANG..he is still affiliated....if i hang out with bloods all day and all the people I love are bloods...but i dont bang....i still wont like crips...feel me?

i guess ill have to see it to believe it...hope fully it isnt DE..that would be a un-true representation of SACRAMENTO ...if it has favors toward certain folks or sets

thank you @ the lips comment unkut, <3 much love
L yea i feel you i neva banged but all i use to kick it wit was crips so i was crip biased but i dont give a dam no more...
oh and your welcome...

Dec 26, 2004
Whens the official release date N price????

At least you cleared things up for the negative responses, i dont mind how it is supposed to be towards a coming together of peace. jus drop that CD for im always lookin for somthin different N new.

Aug 17, 2002
There are other gang wars going on in Sacra besides Crips and Bloods, but a truce is actually more than possible for them(Crips and Bloods) as opposed to the others. Looking forward to hear the album.

Jul 19, 2002
dosiared.greedygraphiks.com
c0rn brEaD! said:
There are other gang wars going on in Sacra besides Crips and Bloods, but a truce is actually more than possible for them(Crips and Bloods) as opposed to the others. Looking forward to hear the album.
I NEVER SEE A TRUCE WITH CRIPS AND BLOODS..ITS GOING TO BE AS SUCCESSFUL AS THE WAR ON TERRORISM...

Aug 17, 2002
MzThicK said:
I NEVER SEE A TRUCE WITH CRIPS AND BLOODS..ITS GOING TO BE AS SUCCESSFUL AS THE WAR ON TERRORISM...
I never said it had already happend or will happen.. Just saying it is more than possible as apposed to the Nortenos and scraps..I see crips and bloods be more than civil with each other at times..However, you will NEVER see such an act with Nortenos and scraps...That's all. Sheesh!