Freedom Town: Aesthetic and Recreational Lawn Alternative

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

RemyRoux

Sep 8, 2018
I put in a uniform request for a new security jacket awhile ago and just got it delivered. They have brand new ones apparently... it's weird because it's just a black 5.11 tactical parka with no company markings or anything that says security or anything at all lmao. Basically just this black beanie that says security on it is the only thing that distinguishes me from just any person walking around in a black jacket and you can buy these beanies at gas stations 😂

Well theres this little flip down thing in the chest pocket that I can attach a little security guard badge on I just discovered. But fuck that. And a panel in the back that flips out and down. Maybe you're supposed to sew a security patch onto it
i love 5.11 tacticool shit

Props: BUTCHER 206

RemyRoux

Sep 8, 2018
I want to go back to school so bad. I only have like 5 hours of free time per day if I want to actually try and sleep with the 1.5 hour commute to work, being there for 8.5 hours, then the hour commute back. I know I'd burn out quick adding school to that mix.

Wish I could find a job closer to home with some downtime where I get left the fuck alone.
for sure, do it!

I went back to learn how to cook for 6 months, best thing ever because I love food

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
for sure, do it!

I went back to learn how to cook for 6 months, best thing ever because I love food
I can't quit my job. Got them dastardly bills to pay.

I'd take a big pay cut to go to school if I could get something close to my house, but the only things around my area are minimum wage part time jobs. I'd need something close to full time for at least $12 an hour to still pay bills. If I could find that near my house I'd definitely go back to school.

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
I want to go back to school so bad. I only have like 5 hours of free time per day if I want to actually try and sleep with the 1.5 hour commute to work, being there for 8.5 hours, then the hour commute back. I know I'd burn out quick adding school to that mix.

Wish I could find a job closer to home with some downtime where I get left the fuck alone.
I hear you. I did it working 12hr shifts an hour away from home. I often had to sleep in my car and wouldn't be home for two days at a time when I had physical classroom courses to attend. This was sometimes through 60 hour workweeks, but the benefit to that is no time to spend, plenty time to invest.

Online courses made the difference for me. Easier to cheat and not catered to learning? To each their own. Ive already been in the industry for long enough it doesn't matter but tbh - you get out what you put in to learning whether you spend $1 or $100000; it's what you are learning and how you are able to either apply it or teach it that matters as to how you can profit from it.

Funny thing is, I only went for the additional degrees because my employer paid for it and I always wanted to either invent, innovate or engineer on my own. That is the ultimate goal: provide a legacy of sustainability to the bloodline and the family.

Last edited:

RemyRoux

Sep 8, 2018
I can't quit my job. Got them dastardly bills to pay.

I'd take a big pay cut to go to school if I could get something close to my house, but the only things around my area are minimum wage part time jobs. I'd need something close to full time for at least $12 an hour to still pay bills. If I could find that near my house I'd definitely go back to school.
like stillhusting said, maybe online might be the answer?

do you know what you want to learn?

Props: BUTCHER 206
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
I hear you. I did it working 12hr shifts an hour away from home. I often had to sleep in my car and wouldn't be home for two days at a time when I had physical classroom courses to attend. This was sometimes through 60 hour workweeks, but the benefit to that is no time to spend, plenty time to invest.

Online courses made the difference for me. Easier to cheat and not catered to learning? To each their own. Ive already been in the industry for long enough it doesn't matter but tbh - you get out what you put in to learning whether you spend $1 or $100000; it's what you are learning and how you are able to either apply it or teach it that matters as to how you can profit from it.

Funny thing is, I only went for the additional degrees because my employer paid for it and I always wanted to either invent, innovate or engineer on my own. That is the ultimate goal: provide a legacy of sustainability to the bloodline and the family.
I've been looking at Western Governor's University for the last year or so, just haven't pulled the trigger. They start monthly, so I don't have to wait on traditional semesters and they have a go at your own pace curriculum.

I spent my entire 20's on a work, sleep, work, sleep, work, sleep, work, sleep life style. I had to leave the Army after a decade of it because of burnout. The only thing keeping my from signing up for school at WGU is asking myself if I'm willing to do that again for a couple more years in my late 30's. I'm probably gonna do it soon, just amping myself up for it and need to finally pull the trigger.

like stillhusting said, maybe online might be the answer?

do you know what you want to learn?
Programming/coding. Gonna do this Bachelor's degree when I finally pull the trigger and start. https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/software-development-bachelors-program.html

I already have an Associate's Degree in Cisco Networking Technology from one of the local community colleges, but I have zero interest in pursuing it as a career and I also don't have any of the Cisco certs, which oddly in the industry carry more weight than a fucking degree lol

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
I've been looking at Western Governor's University for the last year or so, just haven't pulled the trigger. They start monthly, so I don't have to wait on traditional semesters and they have a go at your own pace curriculum.

I spent my entire 20's on a work, sleep, work, sleep, work, sleep, work, sleep life style. I had to leave the Army after a decade of it because of burnout. The only thing keeping my from signing up for school at WGU is asking myself if I'm willing to do that again for a couple more years in my late 30's. I'm probably gonna do it soon, just amping myself up for it and need to finally pull the trigger.

Programming/coding. Gonna do this Bachelor's degree when I finally pull the trigger and start. https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/software-development-bachelors-program.html

I already have an Associate's Degree in Cisco Networking Technology from one of the local community colleges, but I have zero interest in pursuing it as a career and I also don't have any of the Cisco certs, which oddly in the industry carry more weight than a fucking degree lol
Why not get the certifications done? How long would it take? That might open up a lot more job options close to you and make getting the Bachelor's a lot easier if you're making better money and have more time. You don't have to do it as a career but what if you were able to get an easy networking related job with a lot of downtime? Could get a lot more done per pay period at WGU

Props: InfamousICON

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
My brother from another mother keeps telling me that the degree is important of course, but you could also basically self-teach yourself coding, do a coding bootcamp, and get yourself into the door that way. You'll have to be very good at it and really stick out as either being very good and efficient or very creative and innovative or both; and it'll be expected that you finish that degree eventually, but he's said a few times and his older brother has said the same thing a few times that it's pretty doable. He's actually led teams of newbie developers that have gone that path. Granted, most of them get cut after a couple months, but some gain full time jobs, and even those that get cut gain experience that gets them hired elsewhere. I'd rather get the degree and get real world experience near the end of it because I like to learn slower and learn thoroughly and completely, and the degree still has a lot of weight. Especially from a place like MIT or Stanford. A degree from a place like that will get your foot in anywhere with no experience. I'm pretty certain that I'm going to try and get the BSCSSE from UW Bothell and near completion of it do a coding bootcamp. But I'm still not fully decided on UW Bothell... I might get a wild hair up my ass and decide to try for scholarships and grants and go for a prestigious out of state college lol...

Several options out there for CS.

Last edited:
Props: InfamousICON