First Cover

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 12, 2002
I have a couple dj-style mixtapes that I'm going to just put up for free download on my myspace and website. I wanted to have covers done for them but since I am broke right now I couldn't afford to pay anybody to make one. I downloaded CS4 the other day and started messing around with this tutorial on how to make yourself look like a comic book character. Then some ideas just started popping in my my head and found some more tutorials and before I knew it, I had a cover done without intending to do one in the first place.

So take a look and I would appreciate any feedback I can get on what I can do better and what you think from all you great graphic artists we are blessed to have here on the Siccness. I must say though, for my first cover I am pretty damn happy with the job I did especially since I don't consider myself artistic or creative when it comes to visuals.

Jul 12, 2002
Thanks guys. I made this on my desktop and now that I am looking at it on my laptop some of the colors in the background dont look the same. I'll have to check on another computer to see if it's just my laptop or what. Also I forgot to mention that this is an electro house music mixtape, not hip-hop.

Kayne

Sicc OG
Oct 8, 2005
www.myspace.com
Thanks guys. I made this on my desktop and now that I am looking at it on my laptop some of the colors in the background dont look the same. I'll have to check on another computer to see if it's just my laptop or what. Also I forgot to mention that this is an electro house music mixtape, not hip-hop.
i guess you got a glossy screen on your laptop right? thats why colors seem to be off.. i plug my laptop to external screen and do graphics work on..

Jul 12, 2002
i guess you got a glossy screen on your laptop right? thats why colors seem to be off.. i plug my laptop to external screen and do graphics work on..
Yes I do have a glossy screen so that would be the problem then! I don't do any editing on my laptop I was just on it when I read the post and noticed the weird coloring. Thanks for letting me know about that!

Jan 10, 2003
looks pretty good man, got a cool feel to it.

I dont know about the horrible job you did with the fingernails though... lol
and the top text doesnt really fit.. Try and find a tutorial to give your regular text some character, and change the font, thats more western style than disco.

fix that, and your all good in my book

Jul 12, 2002
Thanks guys. I purposely kept the font plain because i liked the Superfly font. The fingernails I fucked with on purpose and wanted to make them kinda weird because of the title of the mixtape. I'm not gonna spend any more time on the cover since this mixtape is just some random shit I'm throwing out there. Anyways, thanks for the feedback everybody. For big projects that I care about I'd definitely look to one of you before even thinking of doing it myself.

ESFCE

Sicc OG
Dec 4, 2004
good graphic for your first try. although to me it doesnt really look like a cover, just a graphic. if you mess around with the font placement and maybe play around with some ideas it could look better. besides that as i said, good job for being your first try

Jul 12, 2002
SO YOU ASK FOR FEEDBACK, BUT AINT GONNA CHANGE NATHIN'?
I might make a few changes like flip the Sox on the hat but like I said this isn't a big project by any means to me and isn't worth much more time. I more or less created something really quick, and wanted to know what you guys thought. I appreciate the feedback good or bad, thanks for taking the time to check it out! If I decide to do another cover myself for one of my projects I will take into account everything you guys said.

Jul 12, 2002
good graphic for your first try. although to me it doesnt really look like a cover, just a graphic. if you mess around with the font placement and maybe play around with some ideas it could look better. besides that as i said, good job for being your first try
Word. I hear ya on the graphic vs. cover part. Just wanted to make something simple and quick that's all. Thanks for the feedback!