FEDOR AND THE UFC

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 2, 2009
July 13, 2009
By Gary Herman
Special to CBSSports.com

With his decisive TKO victory over Frank Mir, Brock Lesnar is clearly the undisputed UFC heavyweight champion. However, the question remains: is he the best heavyweight in the world?

Many people believe the only way to settle the discussion is for Lesnar to step into the Octagon with former Pride heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko.

UFC president Dana White stated in the past he would like to bring in Emelianenko. After UFC 100, he repeated those sentiments.

"The whole Fedor thing is going on and on," White said. "I want Fedor. Eventually, Fedor will come to the UFC. We'll get that deal."

The promotion remains optimistic it will one day bring Emelianenko to the UFC.

"We'll get Brock vs. Fedor done," White said.

Before there are any serious negotiations, Emelianenko first has to fulfill his Affliction MMA contract, and he must get past former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett.

Unlike Emelianenko, UFC is not interested in bringing back his Affliction opponent.

"People aren't knocking down my door to bring in Josh Barnett," White said.

Nov 7, 2006
i hope so cause brock just keeps getting better and better. and he already looks very very unstoppable. i just want him to be taking out and i know fedor can do it, i thought mir could but didnt

Jul 24, 2005
I see this happing @ the end of the year it nothing else for fedor to do but fight in the ufc I will agree with u krazee he better fight brock now cause I see brock being unstoppable when he learns the stand part of his game

Feb 7, 2006
^^^ According to Fedor, White offered him a UFC deal two years ago. "What they wanted was very rigid," says Fedor, through an interpreter, during a recent interview in New York City, where he had gone to promote the Aug. 1 fight. In conversation, Fedor is serene, but his narrow eyes are piercing, just like those of one of his biggest fans, Russian Prime Minister (and martial-arts practitioner) Vladimir Putin. "The bottom line was that the UFC was a one-sided offer, and you know, that's something that can never be acceptable," he says.

Fedor says White demanded that he fight exclusively with the UFC. Given his stake in his own promotion company, M-1 Global, that would have been a significant sacrifice. Fedor also insists the UFC would have virtually owned him if he won and would have been able to dump him if he lost. "If I was the UFC champion, I would never be able to leave the UFC," Fedor says. "The contract would just keep extending and extending. But if I lost, they could just kick me out of the UFC."

Further complicating matters, Fedor also specializes in another form of martial arts called sambo. This judo-like sport was developed for the Red Army after World War I and is now a Russian pastime. Under White's dictates, says Fedor, he'd have to stay away from sambo. "That's something I do for the pride of my country and is very important to me," says Fedor.

May 3, 2002
I rather see Brock fight other people before Fedor. Arlovski for one. Even Kimbo would be fun to watch. Fedor would be great, just too big of a risk for White.
yeah, i would really like to see it.. and ufc would make a lotta money on it. But i dont see them bring him in asap to squash their champ and after that match, then what? retire the UFC heavyweight belt for good? lol.. cuz nobody else is really worth and I dont see Fedor fighting all the time, he's getting older and who really has the status to fight him. :ermm:

Jul 29, 2008
This is the fight that every MMA fan wants to see, and it will happen one way or another.
Well, there were some great matches we still havent seen. Couture and Fedor. Couture and Big Nog (which is gonna happen).
-------------------------------------------------------

Dana is trying to Build Brock.. Period. I hate to say it, but I think brock is a one dimensional fighter til I see something more. If Fedor got in the ring with him.. I see another loss. Fedor is just too well rounded and experienced.

as for Fedor getting older, Brock is too. He might be new to mma, but he's still 32 yrs old. Alot of people think bekuz brock is new to mma, he's 24 yrs old.

Fedor does not show signs of slowing down. He will eventually have to find new competition... but Fedor is on a level that is distant to anyone else right now. His stand up is outstanding, his Ground game is good, and he's taken some shit that other's wouldnt stand (randleplex). But him taking out Tim Silvia and Arlovski to me proves even backs that up.

I'd like to see him go at Silva and Arlovski in a longer battle.. that way we can really assess how he'd go against them in the longer rounds.

and before anyone new to mma puts me on blast, watch all of Fedor's fights. And for the record, I'm a MMA fan and respect Fedor. But I roll with Big Nog, so I aint a big Fedor fan like that.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
^^ You know the Randleplex broke 3 of his ribs and he didn't even tell anyone for a couple months? That would've killed anyone that isn't him or Nog lol.

I think Fedor's bottom escapes are too good for Brock to do much but try to smother him, even then Fedor could fly out from under him and grab an arm like he did to Coleman.
Standup, Brock's only real threat is landing a big shot but Fedor's head movement has been so good lately I don't see that happening either.

I saw a video of Fedor sparring Aleks in Russia a couple weeks ago and Aleks couldn't land shit on him, and he's 20X the boxer Brock is. Andrei couldn't land shit but kicks and he trains with Roach lol

Jul 29, 2008
^^ You know the Randleplex broke 3 of his ribs and he didn't even tell anyone for a couple months? That would've killed anyone that isn't him or Nog lol.
Oh yeah... its why I said Fedor is just a monster.

I remember when Mark Hunt had a Kimura on him.. and still couldnt finish Fedor.

I think Fedor's bottom escapes are too good for Brock to do much but try to smother him, even then Fedor could fly out from under him and grab an arm like he did to Coleman.
Standup, Brock's only real threat is landing a big shot but Fedor's head movement has been so good lately I don't see that happening either.

I saw a video of Fedor sparring Aleks in Russia a couple weeks ago and Aleks couldn't land shit on him, and he's 20X the boxer Brock is. Andrei couldn't land shit but kicks and he trains with Roach lol
Its why I feel Fedor has no problem taking Lesner. I agree wid you brotha!

An MMA fighter to me is what Fedor is... He's really well rounded. Same with GSP. Fedor is the real deal.. hate to leave Big Nog out of it, but lets be real.

Fedor's ground and Pound game, his escape game, his boxing, his take downs, his defenses, his submission game....

Whats Lesner's gnp like? his escapes? His boxing? his submission game? Escape game? Lesner def has the power and the size. He does have the wrestling... but one thing he also dont have is experience. Fedor been doing this shit forever!!! Maybe not MMA, but Sambo.

This is just my opinion on Brock.. but to me, he's not really in it for the sport.. He's in it for his ego. Like how he did football and wrestling. I could be totally wrong, but he dont seem like the dedicated type to do bjj for 8hrs a day or run the miles...

Fedor trains like crazy.. I dont think Brock does.. again just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Sep 24, 2006
one solid punch from fedor and brock will run around the cage trying to escape like bisping did against henderson brock only beat mir because he laid on top of him and look how big of a size difference that is that strategy would not work against fedor there for brock would have a 1% chance of winning that fight

Dec 30, 2003
one solid punch from fedor and brock will run around the cage trying to escape like bisping did against henderson brock only beat mir because he laid on top of him and look how big of a size difference that is that strategy would not work against fedor there for brock would have a 1% chance of winning that fight
fedors gameplan will def be ground work with lesnar.... i think he will take the hong man choi approach... hes gonna try and pull guard and hope that lesnar dont hammerfist him to death and try to pull off an armbar... on another note to everyone thinks fedor is unstoppable... hes been rocked b4... and that huge slam from randleman... fedor is just really good at regaining composure and not panicking... he knows how to react to every single situation put in front of him and that is what makes him a solid fighter. but honestly i think brock can take him...

Dec 9, 2005
Did you even watch the video above ?

Brock was applying some very effective strategys to nullify any attempts at escaping and possibly getting a submission attempt.

And you're a damn fool if you think a 285 pound super athlete is running from anyone.

Brock's strategy will not change, even if he's fighting Fedor. He's going to take him down, and impose his will on him.

I don't think it would be an easy fight, but I think that Brock would come out the victor in that fight.

Sep 24, 2006
im not saying fedor is unstoppable but he has beat alot higher of talent than brock has i just dont see brock really having more than a slim chance of winning that fight. i just dont think his game is good enough at this point in time to beat fedor maybe if he had a few more fights under his belt but with only 5 fights to his cred i dont think he has enough at this point