Evolution

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 5, 2002
Damn, this shit STILL goin on... I think I made my views pretty clear so I'm gonna leave them at that. I'm not here to change peoples minds so I ain't gonna worry bout it...

Did I say anything about historical data? Perhaps you understood me wrong... I spoke of an idea, not of history. All religions are based upon the idea of a God(s). No one can prove the existence of a God... its followers are told to simply believe and to learn the words of men (often written many years after the fact) who were supposed to be messengers of God(s).

The idea of God can not be proved
The Theory (idea) of evoluiton cannot be proved.

Historical Data is not always proof. You are relying on another man's word of whom died hundreds of years ago. It is nothing more than data. Data is to be interprited and used in combination with other data to piece together conclusions. We write history; however, we don't write the properties that govern our universe.

ill

EDJ

Sicc OG
May 3, 2002
www.myspace.com
THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM ILLUSION,
YOU BELIEVE THAT THE IDEA OF (gOD) IS WHAT YOU TYPICALLY SEE IN THIS SOCIETY AND LABEL IT AS SUCH AND RULE IT OUT. ALL I CAN SAY IS TO RESEARCH THE ORIgINS OF EVERYTHANg PUT FORWARD AND DECIPHER WHAT IS WHAT. FOR EXAMPLE, YOU SAY RELIgION. SO WHAT ARE RELIgIONS BASED ON? HOW YOU KNOW ABOUT THE IDEA OF A (gOD) OR CREATOR? WHO PUT THAT INFORMATION THERE? AND WHAT IS THAT BASED ON?

Come on EDJ, you should know better than to make assumptions about me.

I believe the idea of God is nothing more than and idea. Not because of what one typically sees it in "this society". Because of its origins... because it rests in the minds of man... because it is a "belief", something assumed by some to be the ultimate truth - A truth that lies in faith and can only be achieved by such - A truth that cannot be proven by rational thought or scientific research - A truth of mind and spirit, not of matter and math.

<<< ALL I CAN SAY IS TO RESEARCH THE ORIgINS OF EVERYTHANg PUT FORWARD AND DECIPHER WHAT IS WHAT. >>>

Congratulations, you have reworded what I already said.

<<< FOR EXAMPLE, YOU SAY RELIgION. SO WHAT ARE RELIgIONS BASED ON? HOW YOU KNOW ABOUT THE IDEA OF A (gOD) OR CREATOR? WHO PUT THAT INFORMATION THERE? AND WHAT IS THAT BASED ON? >>>

Almost all religions are based on the principle acknowledgment of a God(s). A few eastern religions have slightly different views towards the "entity" of which they submit to and use for spiritual enlightenment.

From what do I know about religions? I've studied many on an overview level and have studied western civilization from the Roman Empire to the Protestant reformation. Have I studied religious scriptures? No, I've only studied some men who dedicated their lives to the study of religious scriptures (only a handful of the Christian faith).

Regardless of what is in the scared writings, it is quite important to study the history of a religion and to obverse the behaviors and intentions of religious "agents” - To see how the "word of god" has been used and for what intensions. I believe man to be evil in nature, as a result my observations of Christian, Catholic and Islamic pasts lead me to the conclusion that they are nothing more than a brilliant mechanism to control the masses and protect the interests of those "agents" who are held as leaders or prophets of a given belief.

I believe in the pursuit of spirituality so that a heightened awareness of life in it's purest form many be realized. Most religions have a few good and pure ideas but they are clouded by the weakness of human agents whom seek a power seat through their so-called affiliation with the divinity.

There are too many inconsistencies amongst western religions for me to take them seriously. Do I believe in some vague idea of a divine entity? I'm not sure... I'm only 21; I don't think anyone so young could possibly answer such a profound question. Those that think they can, I can’t help but wonder how many factors they combined to draw their ultimate conclusion. I think a large sum of daily life experience and occurrences is required with the accumulation of historical and scientific knowledge in order to draw a real personal belief in such matters. I don’t trust those who fall into the flow of either direction from a slight push without having already questioned both sides.

ILLUSION

EDJ

Sicc OG
May 3, 2002
www.myspace.com
NO ASSUMPTIONS HERE PLAYA. JUST COMMENTIN' ON WHAT YOU STRESSIN'.
IT'S gOOD THAT YOU QUESTION THANgS. YOU SHOULDN'T JUST FOLLOW CONVENTIONAL THINKIN'. BUT ALSO, YOU ADMITTED THAT YOU AIN'T THOROUgHLY RESEARCHED THANgS BUT gENERALIZE THEM.

"From what do I know about religions? I've studied many on an overview level."

SO THAT MEANS THAT YOU gROUP "ALL" THEM INTO ONE. RIgHT?

AND YOU gO TO SAY...

Have I studied religious scriptures? No

THAT'S YOUR #1 PROBLEM RIgHT THERE PLAYA. HOW YOU gONNA KNOK SOMETHIN' IF YOU AIN'T RESEARCHED IT? YOU ONLY PEEPED gAME ON THE INTENTIONS OF THE MEN THAT SUPPOSEDLY SUPPOSE TO FOLLOW SOMETHIN'. IT'S LIKE IF YOU WORK IN A FACTORY AND YOU A QUALITY INSPECTOR AND ONLY CHEK OUT THE THE FINISH PRODUCT WITH OUT LOOKIN' AT THE DIAgRAMS PROVIDED BY THE ENgINEER AND ACCEPTIN' OR DENOUNCIN' THE PRODUCT WITHOUT KNOWIN' IF IT WAS BUILT TO THE SPECIFICATIONS OF THE ENgINEER.

AND THAT'S WHY I SAID TO RESEARCH THE ORIgINS OF EVERYTHANg PUT FORWARD AND DECIPHER WHAT IS WHAT. AND BY YOUR OWN ADMITTANCE YOU AIN'T DONE THAT BUT gENERALIZE.

AND WHEN I ASKED YOU ABOUT HOW YOU KNOW THE IDEA OF A gOD, I'M PRETTY SURE BEFORE YOU WENT TO SCHOOL OR COLLEgE, EITHER A PARENT OR SOMEBODY OR SOMETHIN' PUT THAT IDEA THERE, RIgHT? AND WHERE DID THEY gET THAT IDEA FROM? AND WHO gAVE IT TO THEM? AND WHO TOLD THEM? AND WHO TOLD THEM? DO YOU SEE WHERE I'M gETTIN' AT? EVERYTHANg STARTED FROM SOMETHIN'.

SEE, THE IDEA OF A (gOD) CAN BE TRACED TO THE SCRIPTURES. WITHOUT THAT, THERE AIN'T NO TELLIN' WHAT ELSE MAN WOULD HAVE THOUgHT OF, BUT YOU ALREADY KNOWIN' THAT THERE WOULDN'T BE AN IDEA THAT AN ALMIgHTY FORCE IS TO BE WORSHIPPED OR PRAYED TO IF IT WASN'T HANDED DOWN TO THRU gENRATIONS RIgHT? SO IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE ORIgINS.

May 12, 2002
GoProGraphics.com
It was told to our parents by their parents. By their parents parents by their parents parents parents, and from there it can be traced to their parentsX6 or whatever. Then you find the origin. A man in need of saving his people, so he rounds up his buddies, they go have a few beers. they decide on a plan to make one of them famous, and the others will be known as "deciples". They create an elaborate story of a god who punishes evil doers. Since this is no age of reason or science, the people of their time relish in good deeds and punish the bad. Making new rules of the land from a man who has become so popular he is now wanted dead. So they put him on a crucifix and more and more stuff happens that i dont feel like going on.

May 5, 2002
Bottom line, Evolution is a theory. A hypothesis that has been tested time and time and came out true. More research will bring up more evidence, but it does take time. On the other hand, a religion is mearly just a hypothesis. Its not something you cant just test to see if their is a god, so it can never truely be a theory, and thus can't never be proven.

Thats my last word on this subject, cuz we have gone 8 pages and I seriously doubt any minds were changed...

EDJ, I'm not going to comment on most of your post simply because it is not necessary.

I have no interest in being an expert in religious scriptures (currently at least); the history of a given religion is enough for me to draw a conclusion.

If I wanted to turn the finger, I would tell you to get a masters in math, physics, and astrology… but that is ridiculous. You keep pointing to the scriptures, yet I can’t help but wonder how advanced your knowledge in chemistry, biology, physics, math, and astrology is. But unlike you, I don’t point to your lack of knowledge in a given area as an excuse… or exploit it to make a statement such as, “that is your #1 problem”.

"SO IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE ORIgINS."

The origins is man, a man, a group of men, whatever floats your boat. It is an idea that's been passed down and down the lines of disgusting creatures known as humans. Like any idea it was "thought up", realized, created, etc. The scriptures say “God” himself implanted it. Somewhere back along the lines... there was someone/some group that "invented" the idea. Whether they pulled it out of their ass, realized it as a mechanism of control, imagined it as the result of an imbalanced brain, or received it from a divine vision or voice ("God")... no one knows for sure nor ever will. I always leave the door of possibility open, and for that reason I feel I can make the safe generalization that nothing in any holy scripture can lead me to believe the idea of God was put in place by "God". I will always leave the possibility of a “divine entity”, just as I will always leave the possibility that life is nothing more then biology… once the brain dies, there is nothing beyond death… we become as though we never were… our death is no different than the death of the cow whose meat I had in my enchilada for lunch. There are infinite possibilities, and for that reason I can’t point to one and say with 100% confidence that IS the TRUTH.

Man has been around thousands of years before monotheistic beliefs appeared (according to historical “data”). In Homo sapiens earliest stages why did the divinity of "God" not implant the seeds? Why are the earliest records of the idea of a high power in the form of "multiple gods"? Man didn't just appear out of nowhere and start writing and thinking. I look to man in his most primitive stage as the proof that religion is man invented/created. Monotheist religions didn't appear until there were masses living in communities that needed a bonding element... order... rules... regulation... guidance... etc. Religion is transferred through language; language is the tool we use to comprehend. Language didn't just start out of nowhere already complex. It was developed over time... as it developed man began to be able to compute more complex ideas and thoughts... you talk of origin. The origin I point to is pre monotheistic religion... before man had written languages... back to the earliest traces of Homo sapiens (hell why not back to even pre Homo sapien records?). Back when we were nothing more than beasts that could think, but were forced to lives of hunting and gathering for survival. Our mental abilities were the same during our earliest stages as they are now (as the DNA is the exact same, we have not "evloved" any). The only difference is we now have complex languages to utilize the power of our mind.

Or take it even further, into the science of astrology… look to what we already know about our universe and then relate it to these “holy scriptures” that rest on an unbelievably insignificant mass of matter in some random galaxy. Look back 12 billion years to the first generation stars, back when the universe was composed of the simplest element (hydrogen). I find it amusing to think some hold “sacred scriptures” as the most significant “origin”… it’s the origin of an idea, a profound idea that will forever haunt mankind... but nonetheless, an idea.

ILLUSION

If it isn't apparent that I have heard and absorbed what you said then all hope is lost...

Again, another avoidance of acknowledging a varied perspective.

It often feels like I'm the only one who's trying to make a real effort of exploring other perceptions.

For some reason I dropped by out of the blue to see how things were progressing a few days ago since I hadn't checked the board in 3-4 months. Not much has changed... I'm done for now. Take care.

ILLUSION

EDJ

Sicc OG
May 3, 2002
www.myspace.com
ALRIgHT,
I'LL ADDRESS YOUR ISSUES AND CHOP IT UP WITH YOU PLAYA. LET'S gO BAK TO YOUR LAST REPLY.

AND I QUOTE, "EDJ, I'm not going to comment on most of your post simply because it is not necessary."

WHY AIN'T IT NECESSARY? I FEEL LIKE YOU'RE INSULTIN' MY INTELLIgENCE AND NOT AKNOWLEDgIN' WHAT I BRINg TO THE TABLE.

"the history of a given religion is enough for me to draw a conclusion."

THAT'S TRUE TO A POINT. AND IN CHRISTIAN SECTS THEY ALL(IN MOST CASES) BASE WHAT THEY BELIEVE IN TO THE SCRIPTURES(OR MISINTERPRETATION OF THEM). IN FAR EAST RELIgION(S), WHAT THEY BASE THEY RELIgION AND FAITH ON?

"If I wanted to turn the finger, I would tell you to get a masters in math, physics, and astrology… but that is ridiculous. You keep pointing to the scriptures, yet I can’t help but wonder how advanced your knowledge in chemistry, biology, physics, math, and astrology is. But unlike you, I don’t point to your lack of knowledge in a given area as an excuse… or exploit it to make a statement such as, “that is your #1 problem”. "

AIN'T NO FINgER POINTIN' gOIN' ON HERE. THE ONLY POINTIN' I'M DOIN' IS TO RESEARCH THANgS FOR THEY ORIgINS AND TO VALIDATE IF THEY AUTHENTIC AND HOLD TRUE WHAT THEY SUPPOSED TO BE. AND HOW DO YOU KNOW IF I KNOW ABOUT CHEMISTRY, BIOLOgY, SCIENCE, MATH, ASTROLOgY(I HOPE YOU MEANT ASTRONOMY), AND OTHA KNOWLEDgEABLE THANgS WHICH ARE NOT USEFUL IN MY EVERYDAY LIFE? KNOWLEDgE IS A BEAUTIFUL THANg. IT'S NICE TO SOAK UP ALL gAME. SO PLEASE DON'T ASSUME WHAT I DO KNOW OR DON'T KNOW. NEXT TIME ASK.

"Whether they pulled it out of their ass, realized it as a mechanism of control, imagined it as the result of an imbalanced brain, or received it from a divine vision or voice ("God")... no one knows for sure nor ever will."

YOU'RE RIgHT, I AgREE. NO ONE WAS THERE OR LIVED THAT LONg TO WITNESS IT ALL.

"I always leave the door of possibility open, and for that reason I feel I can make the safe generalization that nothing in any holy scripture can lead me to believe the idea of God was put in place by "God"."

FIFTY=FIRST OF ALL, WHO IS (gOD)? IS THAT HIS NAME? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
XCONDLY,
IF YOU LEAVE THE DOOR OF POSSIBILITY OPEN, THEN WHY IS YOU CLOSIN' THE ONE ABOUT (gOD) BEIN' THE ONE WHO PUT THE IDEA OF A gOD IN THE HOLY SCRIPTURES? WHY THE CONTRADICTION? YOU SHOULD LEAVE ALL OPTIONS OPENED.

"I will always leave the possibility of a “divine entity”"
BUT YET AND STILL YOU DON'T BELIEVE THIS ENTITY HAD N-E-THANg TO DO WITH THE BIBLE? LOOK ABOVE.

"once the brain dies, there is nothing beyond death… we become as though we never were… our death is no different than the death of the cow whose meat I had in my enchilada for lunch."

I AgREE. THE BIBLE DOES TOO. DID YOU KNOW THAT WE HOLD THE SAME DNA AS DIRT?

"Man has been around thousands of years before monotheistic beliefs appeared (according to historical “data”)."

I AgREE.

"In Homo sapiens earliest stages why did the divinity of "God" not implant the seeds? Why are the earliest records of the idea of a high power in the form of "multiple gods"?"

"I look to man in his most primitive stage as the proof that religion is man invented/created."

THAT JUST PROVES THAT MAN HAD A SENSE OF SPIRITUALITY AND WITHOUT PROPER gUIDANCE RESORTED TO MAKIN' THERE OWN gODS. BUT ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH THE STORY OF KANE AND ABEL AND THE gENERATIONS AFTER THAT?

"Monotheist religions didn't appear until there were masses living in communities that needed a bonding element... order... rules... regulation... guidance... etc"

NOW WHY IS THAT?

"Our mental abilities were the same during our earliest stages as they are now (as the DNA is the exact same, we have not "evloved" any)."

SO YOU'RE BASICALLY SAYIN' THAT MAN DIDN'T gO THRU EVOLUTION LIKE SOME ARE SAYIN'? HOW ABOUT THE REST OF THE LIFE SPECIES HERE ON EARTH? OR OUTER SPACE?

"Or take it even further, into the science of astrology… look to what we already know about our universe and then relate it to these “holy scriptures” that rest on an unbelievably insignificant mass of matter in some random galaxy. Look back 12 billion years to the first generation stars, back when the universe was composed of the simplest element (hydrogen). I find it amusing to think some hold “sacred scriptures” as the most significant “origin”… it’s the origin of an idea, a profound idea that will forever haunt mankind... but nonetheless, an idea.

THE SCRIPTURES DON'T CONTRADICT THE SCIENCE OF "ASTRONOMY". ASTROLOgY IS ANOTHER TOPIC.

AND BLIgHT,
YOUR SARCASM IS NOT THAT HUMOROUS. BUT THRU IT I SEE YOUR MISPERCEPTION AND gENERALIZATIONS. TAKE THE TIME TO STUDY AND RESEARCH PLAYA.

SNUBNOZE,
HOW IS A THEORY TRUE? EVOLUTION HASN'T BEEN PROVEN TRUE.

May 5, 2002
A theory is a tested hypothesis that uses test to prove whether the hypothesis is correct or not. You wouldn't call it a law tho, but the theory is based on results from tests and evidence(facts). Religion is still a hypothesis tho, their is no tests or evidence that proves it correct.

E

Epitaph

@HTB yeah I try to explain things in simple terms because people are asking simple questions. As for bad mouthing higher education it seems obvious you have never taken a 300 level ecology course or you would have a few less incorrect preconcieved notions about the depth to which the subject of evolution is taken. If you want a greater degree of explaination all you have to do is ask a specific ? that requires it. My post was set up as an intro. You speak against me then post up some article you found w/o even a basic understanding of what it means its really pretty pathetic.

ANY ?'s

As for evolution having holes creationism is a donut, with 1 glaring all incompassing missing link...................where is your creator?