EDJ... a question.....?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
i live right by los feliz. But if the mexicans or latinos in general are to say I am Spanish, are black Americans to say I am English, Scottish, Jewish or whoever else raped themsleves into the bloodline?

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
enserio said:
He's got a point, Lamberto. You did say this:

Most of us mexicans don't get family trees done that go all the way back to our peoples in Spain. It's much easier for us to acknowledge that our peoples come from a certain part of Mexico and stop there.

But you don't have to be that way, since your mom has no native blood, and mostly Spanish blood. You, most likely, can easily find out where and who your peoples are in Spain. It does sound like you despise half of yourself, homie.
Like I said above, I know that I can trace part of my ancestry back to Spain, France, and Japan, but I definitely don´t consider myself anything other than Mexican because the Native blood in me makes me completely different than them. I believe that even if someone (who´s in a case similar to mine) has hardly any Native blood, as long as it´s there, they are completely different than the people of Europe from where their ancestors came from.

Jun 15, 2005
Lamberto Quintero said:
I am part of the Cosmic Race...:classic:
The phrase, "La raza cósmica", in English "the cosmic race", embodies the notion that traditional, exclusive concepts of race and nationality can be transcended in the name of humanity's common destiny. It originally referred to a movement by Mexican intellectuals during the 1920s who pointed out that Latin Americans have the blood of all the world's races (white, Amerindian, and black), transcending the peoples of the "old world"; beliefs not expressed in Vasconselos' essay. The phrase was coined by the Mexican philosopher and Secretary of Education José Vasconcelos.
Yet your position goes against both concepts of La Raza Cosmica.

Also, if you are totally different than those in Spain because of the Native blood in you, then aren't you totally different from the Natives because of the Spanish blood in you?

Don't get me wrong, homeboy. I am speaking from personal experience on this one. I felt the same as you at one time. I still feel completely removed from the Spanish (I mean the ones from Spain, not those that grew up here), yet having been involved in indigenous activism and lifestyle, I feel closer to that side of my lineage. Yet, I can't help but feel that this is mostly due to the fact that I live close to indigenous peoples.

So, at the end of the day, I am just a Chicano from San Diego. I am not asking you to re-label yourself or change your politics. I am asking you to be wary of divisive cultural perspectives.

May 2, 2002
Lamberto Quintero said:
One thing is having blood in me, but I have nothing to do with the country of Spain. My ancestors can be traced to that country, as well as France and Japan like I said. I don´t despise that I´m Spanish, but I do despise what the Spanish did to the Natives of Mexico. And the creation of the Meztiso is from Mexico and not Spain. Everything that I know is from Mexico, although part of my family obviously came from Spain, I don´t have anything to do with that country in terms of considering myself Spanish. A new people were created as a result of the conquistadores, and that´s what I consider myself to be. (Even though it is true that I could trace my ancestry back to Spain, France, and Japan. The Native in me make me completely different than the people of the countries I just mentioned.)
Your Mom is freakin' Spanish! Repeat after me...I Lamberto Quintero am Spanish, French...and Japanese!

Something happen between you and your Mom? Why are you trying to distance yourself from her side of the family?

Do you think it's just cool to be Mexican?

You may not despise your Spanish side...but you are trying to separate yourself from it. Like it or not...you ARE Spanish...and French, and Japanese.

Like enserio said...

Also, if you are totally different than those in Spain because of the Native blood in you, then aren't you totally different from the Natives because of the Spanish blood in you?
My best friend...his Dad is Black, and his Mom is White. Yet, he doesn't acknowledge his white side. He says people only see the fact that he his black. That may be true, but like it or not...he is half white.

You can't pick and choose what you are.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
enserio said:
Of course, that´s what being a Meztiso is; a combination of the two. But look at where I ended up, in Mexico. That is where my family is from, that is my country and those are my people. Of course there is an obvious connection to Spain, but the revolution led by Miguel Hidalgo made us our own country and our own people, seperate from Spain. If every colony that came from Spain, England, France, etc., still claimed to be Spanish, English and French, what would be the point of their revolutions for independance?

enserio said:
Don't get me wrong, homeboy. I am speaking from personal experience on this one. I felt the same as you at one time. I still feel completely removed from the Spanish (I mean the ones from Spain, not those that grew up here), yet having been involved in indigenous activism and lifestyle, I feel closer to that side of my lineage. Yet, I can't help but feel that this is mostly due to the fact that I live close to indigenous peoples.
I understand exactly what you´re saying my friend, and I don´t deny my Spanish blood, but politically, culturally, and with everything else, I am Mexican. I´m sure the ancestors of the Americans who started the United States don´t consider themselves to be English, although they have that blood in them. What really is the point of having a revolution and independance if the people of that country still claim to be citizens or people of the mother country?

enserio said:
So, at the end of the day, I am just a Chicano from San Diego. I am not asking you to re-label yourself or change your politics. I am asking you to be wary of divisive cultural perspectives.
At the end of the day, I am just a Mexican living in Sacramento. I am wary of divisive cultural perspectives and the many different ones there are among my fellow people. Unfortunately, I don´t speak Nahuatl (sp?), Mayan, or any Native language. I speak Spanish, and I was raised catholic. I am very aware which side of me this came from.

May 13, 2002
montyslaw.blogspot.com
gimpypimp said:
Your Mom is freakin' Spanish! Repeat after me...I Lamberto Quintero am Spanish, French...and Japanese!

Something happen between you and your Mom? Why are you trying to distance yourself from her side of the family?

Do you think it's just cool to be Mexican?
How am I trying to seperate myself though? Do I think it´s just cool to be Mexican? LMAO, let me explain something to you. When you´re family is born and raised in a certain country for many generations, they are considered part of that country. I really had no say on being Mexican, I was just born into it, like everyone else who is born into this world. So I really don´t understand why you would ask such a silly question.

And nothing happened between my mom and I, she considers herself Mexican too. I have Spanish, French, and Japanese in me, but I am NOT directly affiliated with either of those countries, so I don´t see how I am Spanish, French or Japanese. I am, however, directly affiliated with Mexico. That is where my family is from, my relatives live, and it has been this way for a very long time. There was a war between Mexicans and the Spanish a long time ago, and that made Mexico it´s own country. Just understand that, and you´ll know why I don´t say I am Spanish.

gimpypimp said:
My best friend...his Dad is Black, and his Mom is White. Yet, he doesn't acknowledge his white side. He says people only see the fact that he his black. That may be true, but like it or not...he is half white.

You can't pick and choose what you are.
I acknowledge the fact that I have Spanish, French, Japanese, and Native blood in me. And I have never stated otherwise.

Jun 10, 2002
I think the dumbest question people ask me is what I consider myself more of either black or white I mean what the fuck kinda question is that. I consider myself a person to be honest. but I came up with a answer one day I said if white folks are trippin I will just say im black then if the black folks are trippin Im gonna be white and if they are both trippin Im neither lmao. but for real im proud of both sides and slowly but surely learning more bout who I am and where im from