E-40 "Rep Yo City"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
S

senatorOFdaYAE

if this track is not a club banger the whole south will be playing this everywhere they go....will this be the next single????hmmmm

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
PETEY PABLO WOULD CHEW UP AND SPIT OUT 99 % OF THE BAY.

THAT SONG BANGS.

THE CD BANGS.

COP IT.

THATS ALL THERE IS.

Apr 25, 2002
I don't like all the yelling but 40 straight shreds this shit to pieces...His flow is incredible...Bun-B and Eightball drop slick rhymes as well...But again I could do without the chorus of SCREAMING although I laughed my ass off when I heard Petey Pablo screamin "in the trunk muthafucka go bang yo whore"!!!!!

May 2, 2002
www.ifuckinglovesports.com
lol this nigga said "petey would chew up and spit out 99% of the bay?" man how fucking gay are you...ill prolly see you on the news after the gay parade this weekend in frisco huh playa. what a square ass nigga talkin bout petey pablo sicker than bay artists. man get the fuck off this damn board you sucka. that shit is unbelievable. why the fuck am i even wasting my time right now lol im bent and tired i should be in the bed thats where im headed. fuck some nerds that dont know shit bout music.

May 20, 2002
www.myspace.com
I knew alot of cats round herr in tha YAY wasn't going to feel this song, but if you get to travel to tha dirty south sometime, check tha vibe out therr, it's just like dat derr. Rep Yo City is getting major rotation and flotation on tha radio stations out therr. They just on a different vibe and Unckell 40 be out there alot, and all those cats are definitely $ickWid'It accomplices in this herr GAME. Oh yeah, Dank God It's FrHIGHday y'all.....RHYTHMX $ickWid'It Records 2k2

Doxx

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
strivin.com
I'm not really a Petey Pablo fan, but I have his album (Jive's promo dept. is lovely:classic:).

I don't really feel most of it, but I have a feeling a lot of people who diss him have only heard a few singles and shit from him. If you really listen to a few tracks you can hear that he has some real strong potential.

Listen to "Test Of My Faith". Everyone gives Nas props for doing something creative on "Rewind" but Petey did something equally creative here. The song is him rappin' about his struggles, but it's told from the perspective of someone listening to the song describing Petey's struggles. It's hard to explain, but it's dope.

"Damn, there's this song from that nigga down south/
That I was tellin' y'all 'bout/
Y'all check this niggas shit out/
Remember the song I told you came on sound like/
He was talkin' about everything in my life/
How he was at a point in his own/
And the problems seemed to be takin' a toll/
He been fightin' so long/
Seemed like everything he did went wrong/
But he found the strength to keep on goin'/
And wrote a song about it later on/
Know this shit hit me home/
'Specially when he was talkin' about the money he owed/
How he took the bills and paid a little somethin' on each one/
Like he put somethin' on his light bill/
Somethin' on his phone/
Then get a little money and he'll pay a little mo'/
He ain't have it all so he just paid what he could on it/
And somehow he managed to keep all the stuff goin'/
On nothin' but the grace of the lord..."

That's some real shit and if you really understand the way the song intertwines with his experiences told through someone else hearin' the song, you'd understand why it's dope. There's no yellin' into the mic, just laid back real spit. Then listen to "Truth About Me" and "Diary Of A Sinner."

I agree about the yellin' shit, but if he cuts that out he's got some good shit.

Gone,
Doxx

Apr 25, 2002
I'm not feelin that Rep Yo City track at all. I can see where the south would be all over it but I dont think it's going to get much bang in the clubs out here in the west or over in the east. For a single, I think a cut thats more universal would be a far better choice. Let's face it, singles are about catchy hooks and a beat that bangs in the club.

Apr 25, 2002
Doxx said:
Sick Wid It is correct. Wassup folks?

Gone,
Doxx
Sick Wid It is not correct. E-40 will not sell on the east coast but he MIGHT sell in the South, there are more rap buyers in the south/midwest than any other region of the country. IF the song is tight and catchy--i havent heard it--It is a smart business move to make that the next single. Dont yall remember "Big PImpin with bun b and timothy"? That was a Southern beat with Southern rappers and it was on MTV every 10 minutes for months.

Doxx

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
strivin.com
Dont yall remember "Big PImpin with bun b and timothy"? That was a Southern beat with Southern rappers and it was on MTV every 10 minutes for months.
Yeah, it was a Southern beat with Southern rappers on it, but it also had some guy named Jay-Z on it who pushes platinum out the gate. There's a reason why that video was constantly in rotation on MTV: It was a Jay-Z song. He could do a song with my grandma and you'd see her pourin' champagne on bikini clad bitches and smokin' blunts on MTV too.

No knock on 40 (one of my favorite rappers ever), but "In A Major Way" just now went platinum. 40's fan base isn't like Jay-Z's so the comparison doesn't really work.

Gone,
Doxx

May 10, 2002
Doxx said:

Yeah, it was a Southern beat with Southern rappers on it, but it also had some guy named Jay-Z on it who pushes platinum out the gate. There's a reason why that video was constantly in rotation on MTV: It was a Jay-Z song. He could do a song with my grandma and you'd see her pourin' champagne on bikini clad bitches and smokin' blunts on MTV too.

No knock on 40 (one of my favorite rappers ever), but "In A Major Way" just now went platinum. 40's fan base isn't like Jay-Z's so the comparison doesn't really work.

Gone,
Doxx
Can the truth be spoken any fuckin louder?You hit it on the head of the muthafuckin nail sahab...

Apr 25, 2002
Of course E-40 isn't Jay-Z. But the question remains, WHAT IS E-40s fan base? It used to be the Bay/northwest and the midwest primarily, with the south second (this is in the "Captain SAve A Hoe" "1 Luv" "Sprinkle Me" days). At THIS point, sales in the south for bay artists other than Too Short are practically zero, because the South has its own crop of blown up locals. But if E-40 EVER wants another platinum plaque, he will have to regain his southern listenership. One way of doing that is to make a southern-sounding song with southern artists.

Its simple, really. If you're E-40 and you want to push 50 or 100 or even 150-200K, then by all means, make your regular style Bay Area shit and push those units in Oregon, Washington, California, Ohio, Texas, and Kansas. But if you want GOLD or PLATINUM then that is NEVER ever ever ever ever going to work.

SickWidIt - you have said many times that you hate Southern rap music, you hate the beats, you hate the yelling, you hate the raps. I think that is influencing your opinion here. From a business perspective, E-40 should most definitely push Southern-friendly records. The Bay sound no longer sells well outside the areas I mentioned above.

Is there a flaw in that reasoning?