E-40 "Rep Yo City"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
I actually like that down south shit!! When i went to Florida for Black spring break and New orleans for the BAYOU classic them clubs be poppin out there. All u hear is shit like the Ying yang twins and that Khia song, People out here may think that shit is wack but out down south its a whole new ballgame theysupport there down south music.It was all kinda of groups out there goin ghetto platinum just in the south.who i have never heard of. They luv 40 in new orleans just because he was fuckin wit cash money. So if 40 wants more Bay exposure in the south he cant go wrong wit makin this his next single!!! Becausethe east coast is alwayz goin to talk the same shit!! If 40 can lock up the South and MIdwest there isnt no reason he shouldnt go platinum. Honestly i think i know why he put all them southern artist on that song. Southern exposure. Alot of cats out here just plain in simple dont like that down south shit and that includes petey pab,lil jon etc!! But i know one thing i can imagine all them thick azz down south broads puzzy poppin to this song. And i bet you that if he does a video for Rep yo City it will get more turns and video play than automatic!! JMO
If any of you cats on this board hit up a club in the ATL,New orleans,Miami etc i bet you that u will hear "rep your city" and that goes the same out here. Whenever somebody has a song like that it gets major play in the clubs because it gets ni99az juiced hollerin what turf they from. for example: Lil jon & tha eastside boys: Put Yo hood up and and its a few more i cant remember!!

Apr 25, 2002
Mezzano said:
SickWidIt - you have said many times that you hate Southern rap music, you hate the beats, you hate the yelling, you hate the raps. I think that is influencing your opinion here. From a business perspective, E-40 should most definitely push Southern-friendly records. The Bay sound no longer sells well outside the areas I mentioned above.

Is there a flaw in that reasoning?
I've never (much less "said many times") said I hate southern rap music or any of that other stuff you're claiming so I don't know where you get that from. You must be confusing me with someone else (atleast two people in this thread, not me, have commented about the yelling thing). Even if that were the case though, I have no problem separating my personal likes/dislikes from whats good for business.

You are saying that if E-40 ever wants a gold or platinum album again, he is going to have to cater to southern influenced music. Thats nonsense. The south supports their own artists in a major way and f all the albums that come out down there very few of them ever sell gold or platinum.

If E-40 wants another gold or platinum record then he is going to have to cater to something more universal and thats that. He doesn't need to be banging in southern clubs. He needs to be banging in west coast clubs, east coast clubs, mid-west clubs AND southern clubs. That will not happen with heavily southern-influenced songs (especially with southern artists all over it) because the truth of the matter, for the most part, is the only people who really give a fuck about southern music are people who live down south.

E-40 releasing "Rep Yo City" as a single will never earn him a gold or platinum album and you can quote me on that.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
because the truth of the matter, for the most part, is the only people who really give a fuck about southern music are people who live down south.
sorry sick wid it, but youre wrong there. its probably easier to say that sitting in the pacific time zone. you've obviously not spent enough time in the midwest. the midwest's style (for the most part) is influenced by east, west, south, BUT....... most especially the south. there are such blaring similarities that the south and the midwest are on the same level in a sense. not to disrespect your experience in the game by any means, but as a fan who lives here i will tell you, the biggest sellers around here (ohio, michigan, indiana, kentucky) are east coast and south shit. point blank.

mezzano had a point in gaining the south's fanbase. 40 dont have many fans on the east. matter of fact id go as far as to say as a minute number compared to the south. i agree with what you said about a universal approach, but 40 cant do that to the large market of new york (or their religious fans who wont bang anything else) but in the south? a lot more cats are feelin that shit down there. hell, thats what the south's basic foundation is built on is that hard hitting west coast sound. but they made it into their own sound. now that sound IS universal for the most part in these days and times.

Dont yall remember "Big PImpin with bun b and timothy"? That was a Southern beat with Southern rappers and it was on MTV every 10 minutes for months.
this song made jay z as big as he is today. hands down. his fanbase definitely grew when this dropped. if you deny that then i dont know what to say. that song wasnt popular because it was jay z or he had a large fanbase. it was played every ten minutes because he was spittin tight (which happened to be southern style) raps over a tight (what happened to be a southern style) beat. hence the statement above (if you dont mind me quoting myself) not to mention two underground legends long overdue in the game finally gettin some shine.

now that sound IS universal for the most part in these days and times.
i do agree about the yelling though. the song would be 500 degrees without the intensity and repetitiveness of that shit.

but i could be wrong. just my thoughts.

Apr 25, 2002
He needs to be banging in west coast clubs, east coast clubs, mid-west clubs AND southern clubs. That will not happen with heavily southern-influenced songs (especially with southern artists all over it) because the truth of the matter, for the most part, is the only people who really give a fuck about southern music are people who live down south.
where have you been? have you heard the most popular hip hop albums of the past 4 years or so? you know PROJECT PAT went platinum? Three 6 Mafia? Cash Money? Juvenile? shit and thats just the plat and multi-plat fools, you also gotta tack on Eightball and MJG, UGK, Trick Daddy, Trina, Lil Jon and the Eastside Boys, Bubba Sparxxx, etc.

That south shit is hot right now, EVERYWHERE in the country. So by catering to the south, you do not cut yourself off from other regions, and you have the advantage of gaining southern listeners.

this song made jay z as big as he is today. hands down. his fanbase definitely grew when this dropped. if you deny that then i dont know what to say. that song wasnt popular because it was jay z or he had a large fanbase. it was played every ten minutes because he was spittin tight (which happened to be southern style) raps over a tight (what happened to be a southern style) beat. hence the statement above (if you dont mind me quoting myself) not to mention two underground legends long overdue in the game finally gettin some shine.
Jay-Z also had Nigga What Nigga Who (Jigga What was the edited version), which definitely had a southern bounce beat. And a few of his other singles have definitely drawn on southern and west coast influences.

Apr 25, 2002
Mezzano said:
where have you been? have you heard the most popular hip hop albums of the past 4 years or so? you know PROJECT PAT went platinum? Three 6 Mafia? Cash Money? Juvenile? shit and thats just the plat and multi-plat fools, you also gotta tack on Eightball and MJG, UGK, Trick Daddy, Trina, Lil Jon and the Eastside Boys, Bubba Sparxxx, etc.
Three 6 Mafia has 1 1xplatinum album out of 6 albums. Project Pat has 1 gold out of 4. Cash Money we all know about. Naming those artists doesnt really mean shit though because you are only naming a very very very very small handful of all the artists who put stuff out from that region. If capturing the south was getting people gold and platinum albums then a lot more people would have them. Especially the people from that region, who get a great deal of local support.

That south shit is hot right now, EVERYWHERE in the country. So by catering to the south, you do not cut yourself off from other regions, and you have the advantage of gaining southern listeners.
I guess you don't get to very many different cities because I'm not hearing a whole lot of southern shit being banged. Not in the clubs and not on the radio. Some yes but a lot, hell no. You said that catering to the south wont cut you off from other regions. Sorry homie, I can't agree with that. How many southern rappers do you see on MTV that arn't Lil Bow Wow? How many times have you heard a Three 6 Mafia song on the radio? Me? Never. Project Pat? Never.

Jay-Z also had Nigga What Nigga Who (Jigga What was the edited version), which definitely had a southern bounce beat. And a few of his other singles have definitely drawn on southern and west coast influences.
Jay-Z blew up off the "Hard Knock Life" single, not "Nigga What Nigga Who" (which was never even released as a single).

I said it once and I will say it again. "Rep Yo City" is a poor choice for a single. E-40 doesn't want a successful single in the south, he wants a successful single from coast to coast I'm sure. "Rep Yo City" will not give him that. You can still quote me on that.

If that does wind up to be his next single then I hope I have to eat those words. I won't be holding my breath waiting for that to happen though.

Apr 25, 2002
phil said:
not to disrespect your experience in the game by any means, but as a fan who lives here i will tell you, the biggest sellers around here (ohio, michigan, indiana, kentucky) are east coast and south shit. point blank.
No disrespect taken homie. What you're saying is cool and everything but how many of these cats you are referring to have ever earned themselves a platinum album? Shit, how about gold? My guess is not a hell of a lot of them since the only platinum mid-west artist I can name off the top of my head is Nelly (its 2:36am though, but still).

mezzano had a point in gaining the south's fanbase. 40 dont have many fans on the east. matter of fact id go as far as to say as a minute number compared to the south. i agree with what you said about a universal approach, but 40 cant do that to the large market of new york (or their religious fans who wont bang anything else) but in the south? a lot more cats are feelin that shit down there. hell, thats what the south's basic foundation is built on is that hard hitting west coast sound. but they made it into their own sound. now that sound IS universal for the most part in these days and times.
I don't disagree that having an audience in the south will help 40 sell units. What I am saying is that featuring southern artists (like Lil Jon in "Rep Yo City") will not earn him a plaque. Having a tailor-made southern beat (like "Rep Yo City") on his single will not earn him a plaque.

BTW, the south acts like they just discovered the Roland TR-808.

About Jay-Z "Big Pimpin":

I don't think that song was as big as it was because of Bun B. or it's southern influenced sound. It was all about Jay-Z, Roc-A-Fella Records, and politics.

May 2, 2002
As a matter of fact, they did play this in the South. I was in Memphis and they played this song constantly on Hot 107.1. Y'all remember Bushwick Bill from the Geto Boys? He's a DJ on that station.

Apr 25, 2002
MizeryMade said:
As a matter of fact, they did play this in the South. I was in Memphis and they played this song constantly on Hot 107.1. Y'all remember Bushwick Bill from the Geto Boys? He's a DJ on that station.
they did play what ?

and aint bushwick from houston, how'd he end up in memphis

S

senatorOFdaYAE

rep yo city is getting alot of club play and aswell radio stations are starting to pick it up threw out the whole south..also 40 has been in texas oklahoma and a few other southern citys this week doing shows and radio interviews..hes doing a whole mid west east coast tour in aug..the 1st show is in kansas city aug 15th..... WHO AM I?SEANATOROFDAYAE MUTHA FUCKA...lol i like peety pablo and the club goes crazy when dude screams that part....

Apr 25, 2002
"Rep Yo City" won't blow up 40 to platinum status I don't think...I mean look at 1999's (Wasn't it '99?) "Look At Me" which had the Hot Boys and a BLAZING beat from Bosko. They had that playin down south while the single on the west was "LIQ" I hope this album blows up though.