DONALD GOINES

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
I agree, he has some good books... but look at the difference of the literary value between Goines work and someone like Maya Angelou... thats why its sad.

But then again, white folks is buying John Grisham and not Shakespere.

Jun 27, 2002
i read them ALL...........Dopefiend,whoreson..all of em...Donald goines is a savage of a writer and will keep you hooked readin his books, i picked up one and then read them all in like 6 months....but at the same time John grisham is a fuckin brilliant author....especially StreetLawyer" or "the testament" ....i used to read A LOT....but lack of good material like goines and grisham is the reason ive stopeed....any recommendations

Apr 25, 2002
Nathan McCall- makes me wanna holla

Iceberg Slim - The Life and Times of.. *cool lil collections of essays that he wrote, just his experiences in the world, and his interactions with people, gets deep.

also "PIMP" basically the story of his life, he speaks on family, his children, jobs he has had, love, pain, real good read.

Check them out Musty and tell me what you thought

Jun 27, 2002
lol...dogg i read them alll...lmao

Nathan mcall books have a postive vibe to them...good reading...
read all slims books.....Fillmoe slim gotta book comin out too,cant wait to snatch it

Apr 25, 2002
As far as Iceberg Slim goes "Pimp" was cool, but I think "Trick Baby" was a better told story.

Also, do you guys recall some book written about doin dirt in Oakland and SF or sum shit. It ws a fictional novel if I recall right. I forget the name, but I remember people mentioning it on this board. If I hear the title Ill remember it.

Apr 25, 2002
Well I take it that you have read the book Monster.

There is a cat, OG Piru who is in prison right now. He get out in about another year or so. He is writing a book somewhat like Monster, telling about his life. From those who have had an oppurtunity to read pieces of it, they say its blowin Monster Kodys' shit away. So keep your eyes peeled for that.

Jun 27, 2002
yeah monster was a savage book, i lost count of how many times that cat got shot and locked up....Sanyika Shakur....tru sav....is he still doin time...the end of the book said he was locked up for that AK he got for christmas or somethinglike that, and after that i heard he had been sent back again.

May 8, 2002
MONSTER was an excellent book, though after reading it I thought that gangbangers were even bigger idiots than i previously did.
My favorite Iceberg Slim book is DOOM FOX. I think it's easily his best work. A lot more character development than most of his other stories. But MAMA BLACK WIDOW is another quality one.
I do, however, prefer Goines to ICEBERG. I thought that GOINES, though obviously not a literary master, was much more viscereal than Iceberg. The last lines of DOPEFIEND still haunt me to this day, talking about Porky having a lot of problems, but at least he wasn't a dopefiend. Shit gave me chills.
Goines is the author I try most to emulate when I write. I liked the fact that his books don't pussyfoot around. They throw you headfirst into the violence and scandal right away. My novels are very similar in that aspect, but the content of my stories is completely different.

May 8, 2002
No, I'm doing the whole self-publishing thing. It's scrillions to print a book in perfect-bound form (paper-back). My first two novels have been ready for months, it's just a matter of me getting the scrill to print the first 100 copies. I hope to do so by the middle of August. When they're printed and bound, I'll be sure to let folks on the Siccness know. I haven't said much about it because everyone and their momma has a project that will be "Coming Soon!"
You can check out a sample of my work @
http://www.siccness.net/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56155

May 8, 2002
^^^Thanks for the kind words, Musty. My first novel LACRIMAL is pretty amatuerish and I'm not very proud of it, but I started developing themes of addiction and illness that I want to explore further in upcoming novels. BRAND OF REHEBOAM is a lot grittier and more violent, plus it is chock full of scandal. Though it's a Western, I stuffed so much fucking moonshinin' and scandalous activity in it that i think our urban friends here on the Siccness would appreciate it. Hell, it may be the first Western anyone here ever reads. I, myself, can't fucking stand Westerns. That's why I wrote one that I'd want to read, a relentlessly savage tale.
But again, thanks for the compliment. To know someone out there actually appreciates it makes writing worth it to me.
Much appreciated.