DO YOU OR DONT YOU USE STRATEGY GUIDES?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 18, 2006
For me personally, i think strategy guides are sorta like cheating, and i dont use them. i know a lot of people use em and i somewhat frown upon them. beat the game yourself. why waste 50+ for a game , and 10+ for a strategy guide? its like paying to win, but who you tryna prove yourself to?

using GTA as example

i mean for the main storyline of a game, i wouldnt want to, why play the game if youre just gonna cheat? no fun in it.

but for the side missions? like searching for hidden stuff, ill use gamefaqs..its impossible to find all of that by luck.

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
hell no...i'll use a faq for hidden/side quest type shit but takes all the fun out of the game for me to use it step for step. what makes the game good if you take away all the strategy,challenge and plot? all you are doing is going through the motions,proving you know what buttons to push...you dont get the full experience. its like buying a book and already knowing everything that happens,then having somebody read it to you...sure you can tell everybody you read the book,but you didnt get as much out of it as the person who read it themself did

Jan 7, 2004
only if I get stuck on a part for hours. like sometimes I get stuck on a part and I might try for a while quit try another day might even try another day but if I am still getting no where at all then I will use strategy guides/walkthroughs but I dont like using codes, only cheats/codes I'll use is for fun like big heads fumble all the time or what ever

Stealth

May 8, 2002
I used to be completely agains strategy guides because I beat FFVII on my own, and then everyone in their mother got the strategy guide. Go breed a Gold chocobo by yourself, get all of the final attacks, and all of the ultimate weapons, all of the materia, beat every sidequest and don't use the book at all and then tell me how you feel about strategy guides. If you do it without a strategy guide, then everybody else who "cheats" will piss you the fuck off.

But now that I'm older, I dont have time to invest 90+ hours into a videogame. So I'll play a game the whole way through without a strategy guide, but now if I get stuck I'll go on the internet. Its just not worth trying to do something for 3 hours straight and not get anywhere.

I'm actually about to try to figure out how to get more points on the Olympus Coliseum in KH2 if anyone knows how to do that. If not, I'm gonna ask IGN.

Sony

Sicc OG
Nov 3, 2005
Last time I bought a strategy guide was like 10 years ago before I found out about gamefaqs, I usally try to beat a game by myself first before using a guide to find hidden shit. Though I do use them if I get really stuck somewhere.

Jan 14, 2006
what the hell is the problem with people discriminating gamers that use strategy guides???

i use strategy guides the first time then i start a new game and do it without it and so on.....

Jan 14, 2006
to me Strategy Guides builds up a whole new level of fun and gaming experience....and im sure as hell no person on the internet will ever make me not use strategy guide no matter what they say (not makiong any reference to any member)

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
anyone who uses a guide is pretty gimp of a player for most games, no offense

"its just a video game" is the exact reason. How you gonna use something that tells you ALL the information about the easy video games coming out these days? Its basically like killing off the entire thinking aspect of games and turning you into a mindless zombie who just follows the book. There is NO skill involved at that point, besides hand/eye coordination twitch skills which most games dont even require.

i have nothing wrong with people who use guides, but its obvious people who dont use them are superior thinkers.