DJ Vlad Directing Mac Dre American Gangster Episode

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 25, 2006
By Roman Wolfe and Nolan Strong

Well known mixtape DJ Vlad the Butcher will bring the story of Mac Dre and his infamous Romper Room Gang to BET on an upcoming episode of American Gangster, AllHipHop.com has learned.

DJ Vlad, who originally hails from the Bay area, will direct the upcoming episode, which will debut around November as part of BET’s new programming block.

The DJ said he became intrigued by The Romper Room Gang’s legendary story while shooting his debut documentary, Ghost Ride the Whip, which focuses on The Bay Area, the Hyphy movement and Mac Dre.

“Mac Dre went on one of the robberies cause he wanted to see a girl in Fresno and he stayed in apartment there. He ended getting hit with a conspiracy charge because he refused to rat on his friends and ends up doing years,” DJ Vlad told AllHipHop.com. “Thizz Entertainment provided a lot of the footage. With American Gangster, the main thing is access and getting people to talk about what had happened. It’s pretty serious subject matter.”

Mac Dre, born Andre Hicks, was Bay Area rapper who is considered the creator of the Hyphy and Thizz style’s of music.

The rapper put out a controversial compilation titled The Rompilation, which featured a number of rappers.

A track on the album titled “Uninvited” led to Mac Dre’s arrest, after the Vallejo Police Department connected lyrics in the song to a string of credit union robberies.

According to the National Drug Intelligence Center, The Romper Room Gang was also responsible for a series of pizza parlor robberies, narcotics sales, vehicle theft, drive-by shootings and other violent acts.

They hit a total of 8 different credit unions and were suspected in 27 more.

The dollar loss from the 35 robberies was in excess of $1.4 million dollars.

Mac Dre and 53 other members of The Romper Room Gang were eventually arrested and Mac Dre himself served six years on a conspiracy to commit bank robbery charge.

The rapper’s life came to a violent end in November of 2004, when he was shot and killed on a Kansas, City, Missouri highway, with automatic weapons.

Mac Dre’s murder touched off a war in the underworld, which resulted in murder charges for fellow Bay Area rapper Mac Minister, who allegedly murdered two others in retaliation for the killing.

"This [episode] is like ‘yeah I ran into banks with guns and ski masks and had shootout with cops.‘ Because of my experience of directing a movie in the similar vein really helped and the fact that I’ve been immersed in the Bay Area scene for years.”

In addition to Mac Dre, the upcoming season of American Gangster will document the lives of Larry Davis, Monster Cody and J. Edgar Hoover.

allhiphop.com

Feb 21, 2005
i remember getting the rompilation the morning it came out at rasp. right when they opened..

for some reason i always thought it came out after he did his time.

Sep 8, 2006
When Tech N9ne speaks on Dres Death he said that dubee knows why and who killed mac dre, has dubee ever replied to this

Jan 30, 2007
i remember getting the rompilation the morning it came out at rasp. right when they opened..

for some reason i always thought it came out after he did his time.
Damn this whole time i thought the same thing.

That one verse he spits "had to do some time cuz a n!#a dropped a dime" had me thinkin it dropped after he got out?

May 20, 2008
american gangster? are u fuckin serious?

for what?

i could understand a autobiographic type movie with a full reinact ment like the jackson movie,but not on this type of hype

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
As far as I know The Rompilation came out in 1996... after Dre was released from prison. I know he was locked up in 1992 , that's when he recorded the Back N Da Hood ep over the phone while being held at the Fresno Co. Jail.

Jan 30, 2007
As far as I know The Rompilation came out in 1996... after Dre was released from prison. I know he was locked up in 1992 , that's when he recorded the Back N Da Hood ep over the phone while being held at the Fresno Co. Jail.

Yeah i think homeboys mixed up that shit came out after he was out....

Jun 25, 2005
Yup shit came out in 96....Back in da Hood and some tracks from YBB were jail recorded....classic comp. I remember when I first heard it I was like damn what happened to Dre's voice...LOL!

Seriously tho I hope this doc dont bring more dirt to his name like tha news did when he died....I'll wait for Coolio's thoughts on this tho. RIP