Def Jam 2009 Hip Hop Awards....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

BEAR

Sicc OG
Dec 15, 2007
Since when do people win music awards for really deserving it?

2008 Grammys:
Best Rap Solo Performance - Lil Wayne - A Milli
Best Rap Performance By A Duo Or Group - Jay-Z, Kanye West, Lil Wayne & T.I. - Swagga Like Us
Best Rap/Sung Collaboration - Estelle & Kanye West - American Boy
Best Rap Song - Lil Wayne - Lollipop
Best Rap Album - Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III

:ermm:

Nov 14, 2002
comeon, Too Short? He's like the definition of ABC rhymes
You're going to tell me that Tech N9ne is more of a rap "legend" than Too $hort? Kick rocks.

blame propaganda white america for this shit..
What the fuck are YOU talking about?? If white people didn't buy Tech's music, he'd still be Don Juans house in KC making the same song over and over.

iv gone on youtube and seein comments everywhere saying tech is legend blah blah blah and i tend to listen to the people.. They aint saying that for nuthin
What the fuck do a few 12 year olds on youtube know about "rap legends" anyhow? They probably though ICP were "rap legends" before they ever even heard of Tech. And as far as making waves in the industry goes, ICP are more "rap legends" than Tech.

I'm not sayin' they're better, but they've been in the forefront of the indie scene for almost 20 years now.

plus the homie rocked RTB and got props from all the rap legends of today (well most of them) how does that not make him somewhat of 1?
Tech has given props to Soulja Boy... does that make Soulja Boy a little bit of a legend?

May 20, 2006
how the fuck didnt the #1 indie hip hop artist not win any awards? you would think because of how his shows are that they would want him on their stage, i guess they'd rather have flava flavs goofy ass instead looking like hes having a seizure and not even rapping...very disappointing...

The show was a tribute to Def Jam's 25 years as the preeminent Hip-Hop label in the Music industry. If T9 was connected to Def Jam, he prob would've gotten some love. Flava Flav was an important member of the one of the greatest groups in Hip-Hop history, Public Enemy. PE is a part of the Def Jam roster. If it wasn't for Def Jam setting the standards, there would never been opportunities for companies like Bad Boy, Ruthless, Death Row, Sicc Wid' It, Murder Inc, Aftermath, and even Strange Music to follow in the path that was opened by Def Jam. Def Jam is to Hip-Hop, what Motown is to R&B and Soul music.

May 20, 2006
idk about that. But I do think Too Short is wack and still got legend status
Too Short is a legend because he introduced the WORLD to Bay Area Hip-Hop. There is nobody from the Bay you can name before Too Short.

Vell Bakardy introduced the world to Kansas City Hip-Hop before T9 got his first record deal with Nutthowze. So is Vell Bakardy a legend?

Dec 24, 2008
a legend in my eyes is someone who cannot be forgotten, 2pac, Eminem, N.W.A etc. granted tech is better than most Legendary rappers he is not yet Legendary and probably wont ever be unfortunately. Kirby has a great point and yeah he's sold 1 million independently but that doesnt mean he's a legend.
i disagree, those rappers are legends because they consistantly brought it to the table continuously, but are now stepping back whether it being a producer or just an icon, tech is still in the grind coming out with more hits, i bet you that when its techs time to retire, or if he got popped like pac, he would wud be considered a legend like no other, just wait tech will blow up after he's gone, thats how it always works, eminem's just came out with a cd but it honestly was a lil disappointing compared to older shit...

Oct 10, 2003
ya'll forgetting bout beastie boys, independantrst label in the rap game sold millions of copy's Grand Royal was the Los Angeles, California based record label set up in 1992 by the Beastie Boys in conjunction with Capitol Records after they left Def Jam Records." just an example Hello Nasty earned first week sales of 698,527 in the U.S. and went straight to #1 in the U.S. and Ill Communication, released in 1994, saw the Beastie Boys' return to the top of the charts when the album debuted at #1 on the Billboard Top 200 & peaked at #2 on the R&B/ hip hop album chart. Lets just say tech is a legend in the eye of the beholder on an official status it still has to be reached as said before.

Jul 4, 2009
Beastie boys were the fucking shit 10 years ago, I remember jamming out to I dont wanna go to school something before going to school with one of my childhood best friends, good times good times. Im glad dude beat cancer too, but this is the Strange music forum, were here to bitch about how Tech didnt get shit not about how the Beastie boys didnt

Nov 14, 2002
Dude just called it.. "I don't wanna go to school".

I bought Sean Lennons first album which I think was the first album released on Grand Royal.. Great CD. Ill have to find it again.