Damn Police

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 14, 2004
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071008/ap_on_re_us/wisconsin_shooting

Off-duty Wis. deputy sheriff kills 6 By ROBERT IMRIE, Associated Press Writer
15 minutes ago

The residents of a remote northern Wisconsin community struggled to understand Monday how a sheriff's deputy who killed six young people and critically wounded another could have become a law enforcement officer.

Tyler Peterson, 20, was shot to death after opening fire early Sunday on a group of students and recent graduates who had gathered for pizza and movies during their high school's homecoming weekend. Peterson was off-duty from his full-time job as a Forest County deputy sheriff; he also was a part-time Crandon police officer.

David Franz, 36, who lives with his wife two houses from the duplex where the shooting occurred, said it was hard to accept that someone in law enforcement was the gunman.

"The first statement we said to each other was, 'How did he get through the system?'" Franz said. "How do they know somebody's background, especially that young? It is disturbing, to say the least."

Sheriff Keith Van Cleve said he would meet with state Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen on Monday morning to discuss the case.

Crandon Police Chief John Dennee said the investigation would be handled by the state Department of Criminal Investigation because the suspect was a deputy and officer.

Peterson was killed Sunday afternoon, eight miles north of Crandon in the rural town of Argonne, Dennee said.

Crandon Mayor Gary Bradley said Sunday that a sniper killed the suspect, but Van Cleve would not confirm that officers shot him.

The gunman's motive was unclear, but the mother of a 14-year-old victim said the suspect may have been a jealous boyfriend.

"I'm waiting for somebody to wake me up right now. This is a bad, bad dream," said Jenny Stahl, whose daughter, Lindsey Stahl, was the youngest victim. "All I heard it was a jealous boyfriend and he went berserk. He took them all out."

Dennee declined comment on whether Peterson had a romantic relationship with any of the victims.

The lone survivor of the shooting, a male, remained in critical condition Monday at St. Joseph's Hospital, according to nursing supervisor Penny Funk.

The white, two-story duplex where the shooting occurred was about a block from downtown Crandon, a small town located 225 miles north of Milwaukee in an area known for logging and outdoor activities. The victims had gathered for what Dennee described as "a pizza and movie party."

David Franz's wife, Marci, said she was awakened by the gunshots.

"I heard probably five or six shots, a short pause and then five or six more," she said. "I wasn't sure if it was gunfire initially. I thought some kids were messing around and hitting a nearby metal building."

Then she heard eight louder shots and tires squealing, she said.

"I was just about to get up and call it in, and I heard sirens," she said. "There's never been a tragedy like this here. There's been individual incidents, but nothing of this magnitude."

Three of the victims were Crandon High School students, said school Superintendent Richard Peters, and the other three had graduated within the past three years.

"There is probably nobody in Crandon who is not affected by this," Peters said, adding that students "are going to wake up in shock and disbelief and a lot of pain."

Peters did not know whether Peterson had graduated from the 300-student school. But Crandon resident Karly Johnson, 16, said that she knew the gunman and that he had helped her in a tech education class.

"He graduated with my brother," she said. "He was nice. He was an average guy. Normal. You wouldn't think he could do that."

The Crandon School District called off classes Monday.

One victim, 20-year-old Bradley Schultz, was a third-year student at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee who was home to visit his friends, said his aunt, Sharon Pisarek.

"We still don't have many details, but from what they've told us, there was a girl next to him and he was covering her, protecting her," she said, sobbing. "He was loved by everybody. He was everybody's son. Senseless."

Another aunt, Rose Gerow, said Schultz was majoring in criminal justice and wanted to be a homicide detective.

"This is senseless because they were friends," Gerow said. "These guys weren't after his girlfriend, they were just getting together."

The town of about 2,000 people last made headlines in August, when community groups and a soldier helped bring an Iraqi girl to the United States for a cornea transplant. The mayor pleaded Monday for support to help the town begin to heal.

"This is something we have to put back together," he said.

___

Associated Press writer Dinesh Ramde in Milwaukee contributed to this report.

Now this is horrible. Maybe instead of small petty shit soemone needs to start investigating how these D-Bags are allowed in.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
2-0-Sixx said:
^^Pretty much. Just like the army
Not in every single department. Some of them actually do serious checks and check up on their employees. What's odd, is usually the smaller towns figure that shit out and don't hire people like that...it's usually in a bigger system that they slide right through...I wonder if they even did a background check, or a psychological analysis of that fucking lunatic.

It does sound like a sniper took him out though, which is good. It obviously shouldn't have gotten to that point, but hind sight is always 20/20. Sometimes people slip through the cracks...no system in the US is perfect...

And police actually get training on how to deal with out of control individuals, where as I don't think the army does that because your goal is to kill, not to arrest, prosecute, and hold in jail for as long as humanely possible.

Mar 26, 2006
^HAHAHAHAHA jeez they might as well get homeless people to join or start putting gang bangers in there, like the army, so when they make an arrest they can tag up and mark their spot.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
HiLsyde707Kloun said:
Oakland P.D. got ads on tv and radio and a big-ass banner on the side of the jail/police buildin' downtown beggn' 4 recruits
that's fuckin weird...they must really need police cause that's the first i've ever heard about advertising police jobs on tv and the radio.....

it's okay though, we're pretty close to living in a police state anyway....get use to it.

Feb 17, 2006
i know a few people who live in crandon (one of my friends who lives in the dorm room across from me has parents in crandon) and they said the whole town was on lockdown after that

i dont know how it is in other parts of the country, but being from wisconsin and being around all these people who do crazy shit like this or those guys who tried to dig up that body to have sex with (i knew them, they lived in the town next to mine) i can say that almost every guy i know from this state would freak out and grab a gun and start shooting shit...the question is whether they do it because they know they can because they have the guns or if there's just something in the water here

i respect the second amendment, but it's pretty insane when someone in an unstable condition can grab a deadly weapon in almost every house in wisconsin and go to town (literally)

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
the.know.how said:
i respect the second amendment, but it's pretty insane when someone in an unstable condition can grab a deadly weapon in almost every house in wisconsin and go to town (literally)
maybe it's the people doing the background checks rather than the amendment that sucks.....or is faulty or whatever it is you're thinking.

people should lock their fuckin' houses if people just run in and grab guns and run out and shoot people for no reason......at least, that's what it seems like you're saying...

if gun owners weren't bitches about their guns, they wouldn't lose them or have them stolen. i mean, if you keep the shit in your dresser or closet rather than a safe or some shit like that where nobody can get to it but you, you're a fucking idiot and deserve what happens.

not sayin these kids deserved that shit...cause they didn't for sure. but you can't let ONE dumb mother fucker ruin shit for everyone. I mean, I know that's the American way, one person fucks up and then there's a law for everyone--but that shit needs to change. just because some people are fucking idiots, doesn't mean we should do away with the 2nd am. or even revise it....people just need to take care of their shit better (lock your house).

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
ColdBlooded said:
No one wonders what kinda pizza party has 21 year old college students all the way down to 14 year old high schoolers at it?

Suspect!
When I heard that the youngest girl was 14 and her mom let her hang out cause it ws homecoming night or weekend, i started yelling at the TV...

what kind of fucking parent lets their 14 year old spend the night out with people who are seniors in high school or have already graduated? that girl's younger sibling was saying she would "change the world" because she's a fucking vegan and a animal rights activist or some shit.....yeah, a fuckin lettuce eating activist will change the world, simply because she eats lettuce and is an activist...

fuckin small town hicks for ya.....the neighbors even said the shooter was a nice guy and wouldn't expect him to do that...well, it's not that hard to comprehend...dude was mad that his ex girl was kickin it and having fun, so he went nutso because he had the opportunity to get ahold of guns--not because of the 2nd amendment, but because he's a fucking P-I-G.

even if everyone in the town had their homes full of guns, that guy still could have used his fucking issues weapon, so it doesn't matter......

i kinda wish they hadn't killed him, but at the same time, it's WAY cheaper than putting his stupid ass on death row for 15 years.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
ColdBlooded said:
That also apparently helped to set him off. He was shouted down, at the end of his argument with his ex, by everyone as a "Worthless Pig".
shouted down? i assume you mean people called him a worthless pig...well, i guess they were right...

Not in WI.
So, shooting someone is not cheaper than locking them up for 15 years and making tax payers fund it? I don't see how that is economically possible. I mean, each year a prisoner costs quite a bit of money...I don't remember the exact figures, but I think it's over 20-30K each year...so....killing that dude was much more cost effective. Unless you know something that I don't...