@ D-Sane about Soreline CC...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 23, 2002
www.soundclick.com
Whatz up man? Me and my careerz class took a field trip there today, for tha last 2 yearz I have been extremely intrested in Shoreline. But after today I'm not sure. My problum is all tha puterz are Pro Tools based, witch I don't like cause everyone usez it and I like to be different. Also they are all Macs, witch I'm not a fan of either or familure with. And there equipment isn't as top of tha line as I thought it'd be. My question is are PCs and Macs basically tha same as far as recordin' goez? Will I learn a lot about other mixing and sequencing software besidez Pro Tools? If you could answer those Q'z I'd be grateful, and any other info would be coo too. Thankz.

Jul 12, 2002
lol thats funny because i pm'd d-sane a few days ago asking him about shoreline. i think it's alright. im going there because they have soccer and some music programs. i plan on going to the musician's institute in LA after that for recording engineering, so if their programs aren't that complete, i can still get a good base at shoreline and then work with it from there. if you do end up going there, holla at me. by the way, have you applied and all that good stuff yet?

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
TaC said:
Check out S.A.I they have a good program. I was there over 10 years ago and Im sure it has improved majorly by now.
They dropped their music biz course though.....and it's a hell of alot more expensive to go there. Was Chris Knab there when you went there? He's a cool cat.....he came and lectured while I was goin' to Shoreline. Plus he's got a pretty resourceful website for independent artists & labels.

@MASKED MAN......Honestly you'll probably have to deal with the Macs anywhere you go. From what I understand that's what most of the schools use.....and ProTools is pretty much the "pro" industry standard. I haven't been to Shoreline is years.....but I know they upgraded right after my last quarter there. They got a new Mackie mixer and bunch of other shit. My thing was....I never used any of their equipment to do my assignments because I could do it all at home since I already had my own gear. Macs are definitely more stable than PC's though (Macs rarely crash).....but I think most of the Windows OS was hijacked from Mac OS so they're not that drastically different. You should be alright once you get used to it.

Just make the move man.....what else are you gonna do?

May 17, 2002
yea they use macs cuz they are alot more stable and less maintenence, simple solution to a simple problem, and the point of going to school is not to work with the best gear there is, the point is to go and learn the basic and if you choose, advanced techniqes and fundamentals, and that is something you bring with you to every peice of gear and studio you go to.....i mean if you learn how to use a sequencer, then even if you have to use one you have never used before, you still know enough about sequencers to stumble your way through it until you get the hang of the new interface....

it dosnt really matter what program you learn with...the point is that you learn it, same thing, if you know the ins and outs of a program, then you can take that to any other one and eventually you will get the hang of it. besides you aint goin to music school, you goin to beauty school.

Jul 12, 2002
Shoreline got some huge ass mixer in that was donated by somebody a few days before I visited there in the fall of '02. They had like 4 pro tools workstations on carts that you could move around from room to room also. It looked like an alright setup and exactly what i needed to get some experience.

As for S.A.I., I talked to an engineer who had went to Full Sail in Florida (he said it was way too expensive for what you get), and he said that he had some buddies that he works with now that had went to SAI for recording and they said it was a shitty program compared to others. One thing he did tell me that I can understand was that no matter what school you go to, wherever you end up working at will have different equipment so you're gonna have to learn new stuff no matter what after you get out of the school. So it might be wise to go to a place like Shoreline instead of like Full Sail or some extreme shit like that.

May 23, 2002
www.soundclick.com
Thankz for tha info folkz.

@ C Marsh, I haven't signed up or nothin' yet, these next few dayz I'll be desidin' if I'ma go or not, if I go I'll for surely hit you up. But yeah, I saw that big analog mixer they had, they are buildin' a few new roomz as we speak.

@ D-Sane, thankz a lot man, that'll help me out a lot if they let me record my own gear. Also, I've heard mixed thingz about tha Macz, espescially tha G5z, at www.TweakHeadz.com Tweak said his G5 crashed 3 timez in 3 weekz.

@ Bane, I feel you man, except tha beauty school part you homo.

Feb 4, 2004
Only other one that I know of is The Art Institute of Seattle. They have a pretty good Audio program. Cool professors but its kinda expensive. Keep in mind its not where you go to school or if you go to school at all. It really depends on how well you work with other people, who you know, and most of all where you are located.

Apr 14, 2003
hey is tha seattle art institute any good? some girl was tellin my class about it... she said theres another one in Canada where your actually the Artist and shit... anyone know about these? holla

Jun 13, 2002
siccness.net
D'struction said:
hey is tha seattle art institute any good? some girl was tellin my class about it... she said theres another one in Canada where your actually the Artist and shit... anyone know about these? holla

If youre talking about the graphic design part you can get an education just as good somewhere else. I heard something about a Bellevue community college. For an AA in graphic design at the ARt Institute its like $40,000 & a BA is like $63,000. If I find about more I'll drop the knowledge, I'm trying to get a degree in design.