CROOKED FOLSOM PRISON OFFICIALS

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 9, 2004
IT'S A LONG ARTICLE BUT WORTH READING AS IT OFFERS AN INSIGHT INTO CORRUPT OFFICERS IN THE CDC.

This story is taken from News at sacbee.com.

Prison official under a cloud
Folsom associate warden is accused of getting too chummy with inmates.
By Andy Furillo -- Bee Staff Writer - (Published May 23, 2004)
The associate warden accused of failing to prevent the April 2002 Folsom State Prison riot that Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger wants the federal government to investigate had a history of helping out the inmate faction that started the melee.

Michael D. Bunnell was fired and criminally prosecuted in 1992 after investigators at Deuel Vocational Institution, pursuing rumors of inmate drug rings, recorded Bunnell fraternizing on the telephone with inmates.

"Hey, my hero," Bunnell, then chief deputy warden at the Tracy prison, said in a conversation with inmate Gilbert Tewksbury.

Tewksbury was no ordinary hero. A convicted murderer, he has been identified by prison authorities as an associate of the Mexican Mafia prison gang, aligned with the "southern Hispanic" prisoners that launched an attack on rivals in the Folsom riot.

"Hey, como está, señor? (How are you, sir?)," Tewksbury responded.

Bunnell's taped conversations with Tewksbury and other inmates at Deuel, obtained by The Bee in Sacramento Superior Court records, touched off a joint California Department of Corrections and state attorney general's investigation.

The state probe found that Bunnell had impeded an investigation into inmate heroin dealing, removed derogatory information from the file of a murderer up for parole, condoned prisoner beatings of child molesters and arranged for an outside cosmetic dental appointment for Tewksbury so the inmate could acquire, in the convict's words, "a Hollywood smile."

But when a state appellate court found that investigators had improperly recorded the tapes, the case against Bunnell disintegrated. The criminal charges were dismissed and the State Personnel Board ordered the Department of Corrections to reinstate him - with $270,000 in back pay.

Bunnell, 55, now drives a pale blue 1998 Chevy pickup truck with chrome rims, tinted windows and a vanity license plate that reads, "THNX CDC."

Bunnell returned to work as an associate warden at Folsom State Prison. And, two years ago, he was involved with a decision that allowed a faction of inmates - linked to the same inmates he was accused of favoring at Deuel - to launch an attack on their rivals, according to both a state Office of the Inspector General's investigation and a lawsuit filed by a correctional officer who helped put down the fight.

Twenty-four inmates and the officer who filed the suit were injured in the April 8, 2002, melee. The inspector general's investigation of the fight led to the dismissal of Warden Diana Butler.

No disciplinary action was taken against Bunnell, even though the inspector general said the associate warden seemed to have missed a chance to stop the riot before it started.

Injured officer is suing

Since then, the governor has called for a U.S. attorney's probe into the fight. And Patrick O'Dea, the correctional officer who suffered a herniated disc in the riot, has filed a lawsuit against Bunnell, claiming that Bunnell and two other officers orchestrated the attack.

Though the Department of Corrections and the two other officers also were named in the suit, O'Dea blames Bunnell. O'Dea claims in the suit that the events at Folsom were directly connected to the prison official's performance a decade earlier at Deuel.

The Sacramento Superior Court lawsuit charges that Bunnell "was beholden to organized criminal interests" as a result of his association with the Mexican Mafia prison gang members at Deuel in the early 1990s. It says that at Folsom, "Bunnell allowed the riot to occur for the benefit of a certain specific gang's desire for retaliation."

"Talk about a case of the fox and the henhouse," O'Dea said in an interview.

Bunnell, a 28-year employee of the prison system and son of a retired warden, filed a workers' compensation claim earlier this year and is on paid leave, according to a Department of Corrections spokesman. Sources identified stress as his disability.

Bunnell declined to be interviewed for this story. Sacramento attorney, M. Bradley Wishek, who helped Bunnell beat the criminal case, said that Bunnell did nothing wrong at either Deuel or Folsom.

"I see this effort to take some very old, baseless, unfounded allegations and find some connection or conspiracy to this new problem to be the product of a number of disgruntled individuals who have their own agenda," the attorney said.

Wishek identified Max Lemon, another Folsom associate warden at the time of the riot, as Bunnell's chief accuser. Lemon alerted the inspector general to management's handling of the Folsom riot and its aftermath. He since has been transferred to Department of Corrections headquarters.

When contacted by The Bee, Lemon laughed at the accusation that he had an agenda. "What would my agenda be?" Lemon said. "I have absolutely no agenda but to put the truth out."

Favoritism dangerous

Prison administration experts and inmates' rights advocates say it is crucial for prison officials to maintain open lines of communication with convicts - and develop informants, as Bunnell said he was doing - in order to manage the institutions.

But the experts say few things create more danger inside an institution than officials who show outright favoritism toward certain inmates or groups. Such relationships create resentments among rival inmate groups and leave the prison employee subject to blackmail.

"It could compromise the security of the entire institution," said former Corrections director Cal Terhune.

At Deuel, documents and exhibits from Bunnell's State Personnel Board case, as well as from his criminal and civil cases, portray a prison official who had become dangerously close to segments of the inmate population.

For Tewksbury, Bunnell was accused of arranging an outside dental visit - at a cost to taxpayers of $1,835 - so the inmate could get a cosmetic gold crown.

For Richard Allen Barker, an ex-Hell's Angel incarcerated in 1975 for the murder of two fellow motorcycle gang members, Bunnell was accused of extracting a memo from the inmate's file - just before his parole hearing - that implicated him in the slaying of a prisoner.

For Ralph Gilbert Miranda, imprisoned for burglary and robbery, Bunnell was accused of instructing prison investigators not to search the inmate's cell even though Miranda was suspected of dealing heroin; a subsequent search, however, turned up assorted items of contraband in the cell, including an associate warden's television set.

According to internal Corrections documents obtained by The Bee, Tewksbury is a "validated associate" - a confirmed member - of the Mexican Mafia prison gang.

Miranda, re-imprisoned for 25 years to life since his release from Deuel on a third-strike methamphetamine conviction, is Tewksbury's brother-in-law.

Barker was identified in court and investigative documents as a "white shot caller," or leader, at Deuel, whose Anglo ethnicity aligned him with the Mexican Mafia-influenced "southern Hispanics" in the prison subculture.

The three inmates all remain in California prisons.

Members of Deuel's Investigative Services Unit - a squad of officers that probes inmate criminal activity inside prison walls - said in declarations filed in Bunnell's Personnel Board case that they first noticed in 1991 "a system of growing reliance" between Bunnell - along with another associate warden - and Tewksbury, Miranda and Barker.

Bunnell admitted that the three inmates were his informants and that he gave them preferential treatment such as attractive job assignments and, in Barker's case, a cell of his own, according to Bunnell's termination papers filed by the Corrections Department with the Personnel Board in July 1992.

The special treatment didn't end there, either, according to one Deuel investigator.

In a December 1992 sworn declaration filed with the Personnel Board, the investigator said his team "began to develop information" that Miranda and Tewksbury "were suppliers of heroin within the prison." They said Bunnell frustrated their efforts to investigate Miranda.

On one occasion, investigators said, Bunnell scratched Miranda's name off of a cell-search list. On another, they said they learned that Bunnell told staff with drug-sniffing dogs to stay away from Miranda.

Nov 27, 2002
we may have lost from what this report said,i aint trippin cause u win sum n u lose sum aint no thang,it aint like we got killed off,so bouncer keep laughin,cause u know the only time u ever really seen a northern homie is from pics on these websites haha

Apr 25, 2002
www.mexica-movement.org
I SEEN THAT VIDEO,,ITS A TRIP,,,YOU SEE A SWARM OF SOUTH SIDERS RUSHING THIS GROUP OF NORTENOS IN THE YARD........AND I ,SHIT YOU NOT,MORE THAN HALF OF THE NORTENOS RUN AND LEAVE THIER HOMIES ON THE BENCHES TO GET BEAT DOWN..SOME OF THEM FOOLS STOOD THIER GROUND AND FOUGHT,BUT THE MAJORITY OF THEM RAN..ITS AS CLEAR AS DAY IN THE TAPE...I WONDER IF ALL THEM FOOLS THAT RAN GOT CHECKED AFTER...

I KNOW FOR FACT THATS GREENLIGHT STATUS OUT HERE.

ILL SEE IF I CAN POST IT UP.....

Oct 19, 2002
Im sure those fools that ran got checked. I've heard some stories from my brother and my cousin (both ran with the northsiders) who's been in County a grip of times but ended up serving in Quentin after for a while recently about peeps gettin smashed on quick for that kinda shit, even slight shit. I dont know about the Folsom population but in most of jails up north sureños are mandatorily PC'd up. Crazy shit that they had the oppurtunity to squab like that.

But yea try n post that shit up wicked.

Apr 26, 2004
I SEEN THAT VIDEO,,ITS A TRIP,,,YOU SEE A SWARM OF SOUTH SIDERS RUSHING THIS GROUP OF NORTENOS IN THE YARD........AND I ,SHIT YOU NOT,MORE THAN HALF OF THE NORTENOS RUN AND LEAVE THIER HOMIES ON THE BENCHES TO GET BEAT DOWN..SOME OF THEM FOOLS STOOD THIER GROUND AND FOUGHT,BUT THE MAJORITY OF THEM RAN..ITS AS CLEAR AS DAY IN THE TAPE...I WONDER IF ALL THEM FOOLS THAT RAN GOT CHECKED AFTER...

lol ITS EXPECTED FROM NORTENOS TO RUN,BUT THEY ALWAYS MAKE UP EXCUSES "THEY WERE TOO MANY OF THEM" "THEY HAD KNIFES"" THEY HAD STRAPS" C'MON TAKE IT LIKE A MAN, LOL AND I'VE SEEN NORTENOS AND LET ME TELL THEYRE NOTHING BUT CLOWN LOOKING FOOZ AND 4 ON 1 OF COURSE THEY GOT THE BEST PART BUT I AINT TRIPPIN NOW I KNOW WHEN I GO TO SALINAS TO TAKE MY 38 CUZ U FAGS NEVER FIGHT ONE ON ONE, THATS WHY THIS FAGS JUMPED ME AT THE GAS STATION ON E.LAUREL AND NORTH MAIN.. BUT ITS COOL ONLY A COUPLE OF BRUISES LOL
YOU BITCHES HIT LIKE A GIRL... LMAO

Jan 9, 2004
THIS ARTICLE HOLDS MORE TRUTH THAN YOU COMPUTER BANGERS ARE SEEING. THE ARTICLE IS AN EXAMPLE OF HOW IT IS IN THE PEN. ONCE YOU ARE INSIDE ALL YOU ARE IS AN EASILY MANIPULATED PUPPET WHILE THE REAL POWER IS HAD BY THE AUTHORITY. THINK ABOUT IT, NO ONE HAS A SAY IN ANYTHING NO MATTER HOW BAD YOU THINK YOU ARE, YOU DO WHAT THEY SAY WHEN THEY SAY AND THESE GUYS CAN DO ANYTHING, JUST LIKE THE U.S. JAILERS IN IRAQ. I'M NOT SAYING THEY ARE GOING TO TIE BLINDFOLDS ON YOU AND STRIP YOU DOWN AND TAKE PICTURES BUT THEY CAN DO ANYTHING THEY WANT IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT.

Apr 25, 2002
www.mexica-movement.org
I DONT KNOW WHO THAT WAS DIRECTED AT BUT .. ABOUT THAT ARTICLE SHOWING MORE TRUTH,YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME,MOST OF THESE IDIOTS THAT WRITE THESE STORIES DONT KNOW WHATS THE FUCKS GOING ON IN OR OUT THE PEN ..

REGARDLESS,,I SEEN THE VIDEO ON TV WERE THE PLAYED THE ENTIRE TAPE,INCLUDING FOOTAGE OF OTHER RIOTS...SOMEBODY ALSO POSTED IT ON THE BROWN PRIDE BOARD,IT WAS UP THERE FOR A GOOD MONTH..

I AINT SAYING ALL THE NORTENOS BITCHED UP BECAUSE THEY ALL DIDNT ...BUT ITS CLEAR ALOT OF THEM RAN..

BOTTOM LINE ,BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANNA BELIEVE..

Aug 16, 2002
BOUnSER said:

lol ITS EXPECTED FROM NORTENOS TO RUN,BUT THEY ALWAYS MAKE UP EXCUSES "THEY WERE TOO MANY OF THEM" "THEY HAD KNIFES"" THEY HAD STRAPS" C'MON TAKE IT LIKE A MAN, LOL AND I'VE SEEN NORTENOS AND LET ME TELL THEYRE NOTHING BUT CLOWN LOOKING FOOZ AND 4 ON 1 OF COURSE THEY GOT THE BEST PART BUT I AINT TRIPPIN NOW I KNOW WHEN I GO TO SALINAS TO TAKE MY 38 CUZ U FAGS NEVER FIGHT ONE ON ONE, THATS WHY THIS FAGS JUMPED ME AT THE GAS STATION ON E.LAUREL AND NORTH MAIN.. BUT ITS COOL ONLY A COUPLE OF BRUISES LOL

YOU ARE A STUPID ASS SCRAP!! THINK BEFORE YOU RUN YOUR YAP!!!

"A widely circulated videotape taken by prison cameras shows the southern inmates gathering at one end of the yard. Sources said the southerners were angry after sustaining the worst of the violence in the fight with the northerners three months earlier"

Jan 9, 2004
WiCkEd said:
I DONT KNOW WHO THAT WAS DIRECTED AT BUT .. ABOUT THAT ARTICLE SHOWING MORE TRUTH,YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME,MOST OF THESE IDIOTS THAT WRITE THESE STORIES DONT KNOW WHATS THE FUCKS GOING ON IN OR OUT THE PEN ..

REGARDLESS,,I SEEN THE VIDEO ON TV WERE THE PLAYED THE ENTIRE TAPE,INCLUDING FOOTAGE OF OTHER RIOTS...SOMEBODY ALSO POSTED IT ON THE BROWN PRIDE BOARD,IT WAS UP THERE FOR A GOOD MONTH..

I AINT SAYING ALL THE NORTENOS BITCHED UP BECAUSE THEY ALL DIDNT ...BUT ITS CLEAR ALOT OF THEM RAN..

BOTTOM LINE ,BELIEVE WHAT YOU WANNA BELIEVE..

MY COMMENT IS TOWARD ANY COMPUTER BANGER THAT GOT STUCK IN THE "THEY RAN, THEY DIDN'T RUN; SO AND SO SMASHED, SO AND SO GOT FUCKED UP". THERE IS A LOT MORE TO THE ARTICLE THAN WHO GOT SMASHED ON. THE ARTICLE IS WRITTEN WITH FACTS, NOT AS A COMMENTARY. MAYBE THE WRITER DIDN'T DO TIME BUT THE ARTICLE STILL STANDS ON ITS OWN.

ALL I'M SAYING IS THE MAIN FOCUS IS NOT ON WHO GOT SMASHED- IN THE END, EVERYONE GOT SMASHED ON BY THE GUARDS AND DIRECTOR. THOSE OF YOU WHO DONT SEE IT BETTER LOOK CLOSER OR YOU'RE GOING TO END UP GETTING A FIRST HAND LOOK AT IT.

PLUS, THIS ARTICLE WAS RECENTLY PUBLISHED, I DONT THINK IT IS THE SAME ONE YOU SAY WAS ON BROWNPRIDE.COM FOR A MONTH.

Jose

Sicc OG
Jun 4, 2002
BOUnSER said:

Fool u swear like surenos don't jump anybody. Most of the time, regardless of North/South affiliation, fools don't want to waste time boxing 1 on 1, but then again some fools can handle their shit quick w/o their homeboys jumping in.

And those quotes in your post, about fools running saying "THEY HAD STRAPS..." I've heard that directly from surs over here on why they ran like bitches even though they were just gonna get beat.

Apr 25, 2002
www.mexica-movement.org
CARLOS ROSSI said:
"A widely circulated videotape taken by prison cameras shows the southern inmates gathering at one end of the yard. Sources said the southerners were angry after sustaining the worst of the violence in the fight with the northerners three months earlier"
WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THIS INCIDENT,,IM SURE THERE ARE PLENTY OF TIMES SHIT GOES ONE WAY OR THE OTHER,,WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH LEAVING YOUR BOYS TO GET BEAT DOWN...

AND ABOUT THEM OFFICIALS BIENG CROOKED,,,,THEM FOOLS ARE TAME COMPARED TO THE CRASH UNITS OUT HERE...OR THE SHERRIFFS IN THE L.A. COUNTY JAIL...AS A MATTER OF FACT THE PEN IS DISNEYLAND COMPARED TO THE L.A. COUNTY JAIL...I WOULD RATHER SPEND TIME IN THE PEN THAN IN THE L.A.COUNTY...IF I HAD DO SOME TIEMPO,,

Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
you fools from the north that come on here always get your pussies hurt when somebody mentions the south...on the co co records board, no even talks music on there..everyother word is skrap this and skrap that. the topic of the thread is crooked prison officials. then you fools turn into stupid shit. you come on the southern kali board, no mention of norte fools. why? because we above your level. we lookin at you through our rear view and you fools no that thats why you spend so much time with our names in ur mouth

Oct 19, 2002
escobar92113 said:
you fools from the north that come on here always get your pussies hurt when somebody mentions the south...on the co co records board, no even talks music on there..everyother word is skrap this and skrap that. the topic of the thread is crooked prison officials. then you fools turn into stupid shit. you come on the southern kali board, no mention of norte fools. why? because we above your level. we lookin at you through our rear view and you fools no that thats why you spend so much time with our names in ur mouth
Chalk it up to lack of so-called sureños on the siccness. Believe me you'd see a whole lot of that shit comin outta southsiders too if the netbangers ive seen elsewhere spent their time here. :confused:

Jul 25, 2003
www.brazzers.com
these fools are lame....ratas talking out there azz ....dont know how to read a damn article..haha....and they hella proud of them jumping another group....but as it said..."the southerners were angry after sustaining the worst of the violence in the fight with the northerners three months earlier"....fuckin read skrapa.