creating art vs. having a hustle

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
I think there is a serious problem with the commercialization of music in general, hip hop more specifically, and the Bay Area independent rap scene in particular. When participating in an art form is viewed as a hustle, it means that "artists" will value making money over the actual music itself.

You might say, no the market corrects for that, because if its not good people won't buy it. But lets be realistic. The fact is that SOME people will buy it regardless, and if you can spend a few hours on an album and sell 20,000 copies you will probably make a nice profit. But you've put out a piece of shit album.

I think thats the biggest problem with Northern Cali rap right now, when some Bay pioneers blew up in the early and mid 90s they showed everybody that we had our own sound and we could sell records.

But then a bunch of people got into the game who just want to make independent money and don't spend anytime putting together quality albums.

So WE - the consumers - are stuck trying to find out which are the 2 or 3 artists who actually put time and effort and artistry into their releases each year. And its a short list. Northern Cali comes out with hundreds of albums every year and damn near NONE of them touch the quality of music in the early-mid 90s.

So I see all of you internet rappers out there, and some of you are talented, but my question is why do you want to rap?

If you only rap to make money, go back to college and be a stock broker, DONT RAP. Spare us. You're better off as a cook at Denny's than rapping.

If you have some kind of love for the artform and a message that you want to put out there, then keep doing your thing regardless of the obstacles. Hopefully the "hustlers" will clear out of your way and un-saturate the northern cali hip hop market.

.....And spare me the JT the Bigga Figga speech (track 1 off Hustle Relentless) of I'm hustling for the community, thats bullshit, his making money by putting out 100 mediocre albums a year doesnt do shit for the community, it just helps HIM. Unless he plans on giving new shoes to all the kids in the hood and filling everybodys frigdes instead of buying the rims that keep spinning when you stop. I doubt it.

G

GANGSTAEIGHT

Re: creating art vs. having a hustle -- what is the future of bay area/northern cali rap?

Mezzano said:
When participating in an art form is viewed as a hustle, it means that "artists" will value making money over the actual music itself.
it's a damn shame

let em know mezzano

as for me, i rap for the love of music... and to tell you the truth, i don't care if i make any money at all as an independent artist. just as long as i break even, then it's all gravity.

May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
i feel you on this...most of the rappers out right now are just in it to get paid...i got potnas that rap, they got a lil skills, but they say that they just wanna make money...they just wanna be like Nelly and al them other bullshittin ass rappers...i'm a artists myself, i know i'm not the best out, but i keep rappin because like you say i got a love for the artform...i'd make an album and just pass copies out on the bus for free if it came down to it...but your right about rappin to make money...thats not what its about...thats not what any art is about...its about the artform itself...

O

Oluos Rekian

Kavie said:
they just wanna be like Nelly and al them other bullshittin ass rappers
sounds familar.. i'll leave it at that .. lol.. good points tho.. niggas ain't in it for the luv no more.. but it's all gravy.. i don't support that shit.

:angry:

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
^^^^

Yup yup, fuck them bullshit ass rappers...I recorded my album from August of 2001 until May 2002...spendin time on that muthafucka makes it that much better...and as long as I break even, FUCK IT, I could give a shit...if the money comes, so be it...if not, at least I'm doin what I love to do...

Apr 25, 2002
Good post. I agree 100%. I been sayin it, and ill keep sayin it, Im not buying CDs off hustlin' rappers no more unless I hear the whole thing before I buy it.

Mezzano. i been reading ya opionions man. U take ya time posting stuff. Keep that honesty up. One thing that kinda bugs me sometimes is why poeple are so worried about what "commercial" radio wants? or u tryin too hard to break into the main radios. Sometimes these cats are thinking too hard of what others are doing.

I feel like if 'you' like your sound then keep it. u should pursue it regardless. no matter how much people hate. as long as your happy with it. Think about who is the best in the game right now and think about how could u make your self 10 times betta then the person who is on top. Set some goals for yourself. People always gona have way too many opinions. Constructive cristism from poeple could be a real good thing also. But in my opinion do what makes you feel happy instead of worryin about if its goin to sell or not or if its goin to break into commercial radios or what other think of it. Only listen to poeple who are real loyal to you. Cause all u got is your own style. Be independent and pursue ya shit and perfect it. If u got the passion and drive and if it sounds good then the recognition will come as time goes by.

Slo-O debut album "Game Over" in stores July 9th, 2002.

Apr 25, 2002
peace to all.

Even though I don't listen much to rap groups like Blackalicious, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Mystik Journeymen, Black Eye Peas, etc., I respect them because I get the feeling from them that they are artists and musicians first, not hustlers who found a lucrative business in music. I think The Coup is similar in that respect.

I was hoping that some of the rappers, producers, execs, etc. on this board would jump on this post, I assumed that some of them would want to defend making a hustle out of music.

Apr 25, 2002
Mezzano said:
peace to all.

Even though I don't listen much to rap groups like Blackalicious, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Mystik Journeymen, Black Eye Peas, etc., I respect them because I get the feeling from them that they are artists and musicians first, not hustlers who found a lucrative business in music. I think The Coup is similar in that respect.

I was hoping that some of the rappers, producers, execs, etc. on this board would jump on this post, I assumed that some of them would want to defend making a hustle out of music.
I don't understand why you don't listen to Mos Def or Talib Kweli, you got to get up on that shit. Do you have any of there Debut albums? That shit is 5 star classic and Mos Def's "Black on Both Sides" is one of my favorites ever.

M

MrFreeze

people do whatever it takes to make money and i cant really hate on them for it. its easy to say youll never sell out but if my phone rang right this second and it was nsync's manager offerin me $100,000 to do a song with them id be on it quick. havin love for the music is all good but when it comes down to it an artist needs to make money. its hard to make alot when your doin underground rap so you see lots pf people switchin their style to a more mainstream or radio playable one cuz thats how you make money. like it or not its all about $.

Apr 26, 2002
www.streetcredmg.com
This is another GREAT POST! Got me typing in a middle of a meeting! I Agree thats why Done Deal Takes so Long! I mean right now we have a good name for Quality Shit & I want to Keep it that way! A Good Name is better than Gold! If you see our Logo on it than atleast you know its gunna sound good whether or not you like The production or the lyrics is your own personal taste but quality is universal it either sounds good or it doesnt! There is alot of Quick throw out projects i could do to make some Money, but i choose to have a real Label, not one that does alot of Album Deals then you never hear from that artist again! Im critized alot from certain industry people for not putting out more albums, with the access i have but I rather make sure the shit and people i got now are straight before venturing off in other shit!

Apr 25, 2002
www.BallerSignMusic.com
I have mixed feelings on this topic...
On one hand, I make music for the love of the art, but on the other hand, I want to be successful. I think one must learn to strike the right balance. First of all, it is most important to make music that you are inspired to create. If it happens to gain you commercial success, then that's great, but it's another thing to follow whatever trend seems to be hot... But you've also got to realize that if you only make music for yourself or your "hood," the masses most likely won't feel it.

May 26, 2002
I think there is a serious problem with the commercialization of music in general, hip hop more specifically, and the Bay Area independent rap scene in particular. When participating in an art form is viewed as a hustle, it means that "artists" will value making money over the actual music itself.
This point blank is one of the best posts I have peeped on this board. And the funny thing is he is talking about half the fools on this board....Its one thing to agree with what my man Mezzano is saying but now its time to start acting on it.....Lets start supporting SOLID artists who strive to give us that dope ass album verses buying all 4000 records Master P dropped when he thought his shit didn't stink. The only way to change this trend is to stop supporting your Nelly's (I dont consider him rap..He is POP.) and your Lil romeo's. Contrary to popular beliefs rap and hip hop are not the same...

May 5, 2002
I think a lot of the cats that end up making it are the ppl who did it cuz it was a hustle.. whereas I think a lot of the new ppl coming out **this applies to the ppl on bart** are doin it as an art form...
I know rapping is an artform but I think just practicing what to say cheapens it.. i think it should just be in you or not in you.. develop once u are popular.. dont reherse shit to make it sell.. if you can feel me on that let me know...
I can parallel it to hippies.. ppl who started the whole trend versus ppl who saw it, thought it looked coo and decided to be a hippie.. went out n made themselves a hippie versus actually being one all along

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
tell em moe!
you gotta be born with it...
thats why the west ain't on top cuz we making these lil bullshit albums just to get by..i know we ain't doing right cuz some of these rappers go back to the streets! i mean, you don't see nelly goin back to the block and slangin!
all we gotta do is come together, from SD to sac and make some classic albums..i think another problem is that we all hatin on each other...