Console Wars: Who Won '08?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 1, 2006
www.sendearnings.com
http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/console-wars-who-won-08-/1276642

Nintendo sails, Microsoft trails, Sony ails.

By Ben Silverman
ADVERTISEMENT

No software? No problem.

Despite early predictions that 2008 would be the year Sony regained momentum in the bitter video game console wars, it turned out to be false hope. Industry leader Nintendo stayed ahead of the pack all year, thoroughly dominating both the home console and handheld hardware markets with their Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS systems, respectively.

According to NPD Group, Nintendo flat-out owned the all-important month of November by selling over 2 million Wiis, better than twice as much as the next closest competitor, Microsoft's Xbox 360 (836,000). And at over 1.5 million DS systems sold, Nintendo tripled the output of Sony's PSP (421,000). While those numbers weren't nearly that high through most of 2008, the general order -- Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony -- held strong throughout.

Wii Ascendant

But this was hardly a banner year for Nintendo in terms of software. The biggest games -- Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii and of course Wii Fit -- came relatively early in the year, and their biggest holiday release, Wii Music, has been labeled something of a dud. Miffed that the company was focusing too heavily on catering to its relatively new mass-market audience, the usually loyal Nintendo fans complained about a lack of core games. Meanwhile, Microsoft and Sony enjoyed a wealth of blockbuster games all year long, including top-sellers Grand Theft Auto IV and Fallout 3. So how did Nintendo compete, much less lead the way?

By finding a new niche, of course. While gamers lament the deluge of cheaply made games (dubbed "shovelware") aimed at capitalizing on the Wii's mainstream popularity, many of those titles speak to their broad audience and support the company's new directive. Nintendo knows on which side its bread is currently being buttered, and while Microsoft and Sony battle for the hearts and minds of the core gamers, Nintendo is content getting their moms to play, too. And their moms often have a lot more money.

Microsoft, on the other hand, found itself in second place by keeping its eyes on the prize: core gamers willing to shell out for great downloadable content. The recently released "New Xbox Experience" system update has nearly tripled sales over Xbox Live Arcade, while huge releases like Gears of War 2 and Fable II cemented their status as the go-to console for most gamers.

New Xbox Experience

As the newest kid on the block, Microsoft is less concerned with catching Nintendo than they are with kicking Sony's butt, which is pretty much exactly what they're doing. Take, for instance, the November NPD numbers for Activision's best-selling first-person shooter, Call of Duty: World at War. The 360 version of the game sold an impressive 1.4 million copies -- over twice that of the PS3 version (597,000). It's hard to play catch up when you're getting beaten that badly.

As for Sony, well, they just can't catch a break. The company scored a major coup when Blu-ray officially trounced HD-DVD in the hi-def format war, but few believe the technology will catch on with consumers. Strong sales of big-time exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4 were promising, but the troubled launch of their 'Home' network coupled with relatively weak holiday sales (only Resistance 2 cracked the Top 10 list in November, all the way back at number 9) cramped their style. The once-promising PSP is getting whomped by both the DS and Apple's surging iPhone. Did a witch cast a spell on these guys or what?

Hopefully next year will bode better for the one-time king of the consoles, but for now, they'll have to get used to the view from the back of the pack.

Gas One

May 24, 2006
Downtown, Pittsburg. Southeast Dago.
i played wii alot before i played an xbox, and...ill just say the only reason i really got an xbox is because i can borrow my girlfriends wii at any time. its just so fun with the controller. makes the games alot more interactive. i can see why it sells more.

i think xbox is tight for first person shooters, online multiplayer and shit like that..

wii is where the 'real games' are at to me, like super mario galaxy and mario kart..that shit made me fall in love with the wii and i have yet to see a xbox game even match it in straight up fun.

ps3 is kinda weak to me, like the only friends that have the ps3 are the ones that typically make bigger purchases just to make them- its like no one else has the ps3 in their friends group but them, but i know a few people with xboxs...fewer with wiis, but the wii is still an amazing system IMO

i cant decide between wii and xbox, maybe when i get a xbox HD and i can download hella shit from xbox live im gonna like it alot more.

but i think xbox and wii is apples and oranges. you can get both and just play one when you aint in the mood to play the other. there wont be gears of war on xbox, but there wont be a mario game on xbox. you gotta pick and choose kind but both are tight. ps3 has less interesting exclusives.

alot of xbox games have been unable to catch my interest...like GTA 4 and fable 2..i buy them and just sit them somewhere..but i would know tight games for the wii and have no problem selecting fun games like i kinda do with xbox.

xbox is more of a hustle. broken xboxs, games that dont read, gotta buy hd's memory, xbox live, headsetc, games are liek 69.99, etc etc...ive put so much money into this shit i coulda prolly bought new rims for my car.

wii its more like cop the games and play..thats it

Jan 23, 2006
ps3 is kinda weak to me, like the only friends that have the ps3 are the ones that typically make bigger purchases just to make them- its like no one else has the ps3 in their friends group but them

xbox is more of a hustle. broken xboxs, games that dont read, gotta buy hd's memory, xbox live, headsetc, games are liek 69.99, etc etc...ive put so much money into this shit i coulda prolly bought new rims for my car.
truth

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
the wii is amazing,how it sells so much hardware with no decent software to back it up is crazy. because as far as i am concerned wii has ONE good game.

ps3 needs to do something quick. seems like they are resting on the fact that they made a superior console and that all the talk from the start is that ps3 would eventually rise to the top because they have superior hardware. gas hit on the head, nobody has a ps3, everybody is on xbox live. if i am consumer and i am selecting a console,i am going to pick one that all my friends have,right now thats xbox. even geoff from gametrailers was joking around and said that he has like 6 friends on ps3 and 100's on live. i think that is the case for most people that have both. sony needs to do something drastic to turn that, and draw everybody to PSN because their online capabiities are severly behind those of live. home was supposed to be the answer but its a huge failure. even if it does succeed its only going to draw casual gamers,not the hardcore gamers that PSN severly needs right now

i think xbox fucked up in releasing that xbox with no HD. i think it is a useless console. sure its cheap but there is nothing worth a damn you can do with it without a hard drive. DLC,live arcade games,etc all become obsolete. all it going to lead to is people bitching that they have to buy this and that when they could of bought with everything for the same price to begin with. that cheap price tag is just to draw you into buying one because they know you will have to spend another $200 to get it to where you want it. meanwhile you could of bought the $400 one and got everything. it works perfectly though because casual gamers and people that dont do research are falling right into it.

Nov 20, 2005
i think xbox fucked up in releasing that xbox with no HD. i think it is a useless console. sure its cheap but there is nothing worth a damn you can do with it without a hard drive. DLC,live arcade games,etc all become obsolete. all it going to lead to is people bitching that they have to buy this and that when they could of bought with everything for the same price to begin with. that cheap price tag is just to draw you into buying one because they know you will have to spend another $200 to get it to where you want it. meanwhile you could of bought the $400 one and got everything. it works perfectly though because casual gamers and people that dont do research are falling right into it.
/thread

~k.

Nov 7, 2002
I had one broken xbox and still hands down give it xbox but only between xbox and ps3 because like gas one said the WII is not the same thing two very different systems aim at two different type of gamers. I think xbox is more often for older gamers and the WII is for younger kids and adults that dont video games much. Maybe its just me but I know about 18 fools with xbox 360 and 2 with ps3 was 5 but 3 sold it cuz they never played it and other 4 that have the WII but for there kids but thats just the people I know and is different for everybody but Xbox is the best bang for you buck for online and adult rated games to me.

Mar 1, 2006
www.sendearnings.com
i played wii alot before i played an xbox, and...ill just say the only reason i really got an xbox is because i can borrow my girlfriends wii at any time. its just so fun with the controller. makes the games alot more interactive. i can see why it sells more.

i think xbox is tight for first person shooters, online multiplayer and shit like that..

wii is where the 'real games' are at to me, like super mario galaxy and mario kart..that shit made me fall in love with the wii and i have yet to see a xbox game even match it in straight up fun.

ps3 is kinda weak to me, like the only friends that have the ps3 are the ones that typically make bigger purchases just to make them- its like no one else has the ps3 in their friends group but them, but i know a few people with xboxs...fewer with wiis, but the wii is still an amazing system IMO

i cant decide between wii and xbox, maybe when i get a xbox HD and i can download hella shit from xbox live im gonna like it alot more.

but i think xbox and wii is apples and oranges. you can get both and just play one when you aint in the mood to play the other. there wont be gears of war on xbox, but there wont be a mario game on xbox. you gotta pick and choose kind but both are tight. ps3 has less interesting exclusives.

alot of xbox games have been unable to catch my interest...like GTA 4 and fable 2..i buy them and just sit them somewhere..but i would know tight games for the wii and have no problem selecting fun games like i kinda do with xbox.

wii its more like cop the games and play..thats it

Think you jumping to conclusions on wii having better games, you've yet to play Halo 3 and games are usually 59.99 they don't go higher unless you are buying special editions.

Mar 1, 2006
www.sendearnings.com
the wii is amazing,how it sells so much hardware with no decent software to back it up is crazy. because as far as i am concerned wii has ONE good game.

ps3 needs to do something quick. seems like they are resting on the fact that they made a superior console and that all the talk from the start is that ps3 would eventually rise to the top because they have superior hardware. gas hit on the head, nobody has a ps3, everybody is on xbox live. if i am consumer and i am selecting a console,i am going to pick one that all my friends have,right now thats xbox. even geoff from gametrailers was joking around and said that he has like 6 friends on ps3 and 100's on live. i think that is the case for most people that have both. sony needs to do something drastic to turn that, and draw everybody to PSN because their online capabiities are severly behind those of live. home was supposed to be the answer but its a huge failure. even if it does succeed its only going to draw casual gamers,not the hardcore gamers that PSN severly needs right now

60gb 360 aint badd for 299$ too but good shit I agree