CHARGERS VS RAIDERS

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

who will win?

• raiders

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • chargers

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
Jun 23, 2005
The Oakland Raiders still need help to advance to the postseason for the first time since 2002, but at least they have a chance.

The San Diego Chargers already know their fate ahead of their regular-season finale.

Oakland goes for its fourth consecutive victory in this matchup Sunday when the visiting Chargers will try to avoid their first losing season since 2003 while ending their AFC West rival's playoff chances.

By snapping a three-game skid with last Saturday's 16-13 overtime victory at Kansas City, Oakland (8-7) remained in the playoff hunt. The Raiders have not been to the postseason since their 2002 AFC championship season, yet a victory and a Chiefs win in Denver will clinch the West for Oakland.

Even if the Broncos win the division title, the Raiders can still secure the second wild-card spot if they win, Cincinnati loses to Baltimore with either the New York Jets winning over Miami or Tennessee losing to Houston.

With all the possible playoff scenarios, what is clear is Oakland will be eliminated with a loss.

"I am not going to get caught up in all the different scenarios," coach Hue Jackson said Monday. "I know they're out there. I think I would be remiss as the leader of this football team if I just jumped over in that boat. I think the boat I have to jump in is getting this team to play as hard and well as it can play this weekend."

Winning three straight after a six-game skid gave the Chargers (7-8) hope late in the season, but their slim playoff hopes were dashed Christmas Eve when they lost 38-10 at Detroit and the Bengals defeated Arizona.

"When you lose six in a row in this league, you're probably not going to the postseason, but we fought our way back in it," said Philip Rivers, who was named to the Pro Bowl this week despite throwing a career-worst 19 interceptions. "You're hanging your hat on running the table, and going to beat playoff teams on the road, it's tough."

There's a good chance San Diego will be playing its final game under coach Norv Turner, who has failed to lead them to the playoffs in back-to-back seasons after going in five of the previous six years.

"We all know that's something that's discussed at the end of the year," Turner said.

The Chargers' main motivation will be avoiding their first sub.-500 season since going 4-12 in 2003 and sending the Raiders home for the year.

"I don't want the Raiders to go (to the playoffs)," said Pro Bowl safety Eric Weddle, tied for the NFL lead with seven INTs. "We have control over at least one more game, and who can go. "We're going to try our hardest to spoil their postseason and keep them out of it."

If that's going to happen, the Chargers will have to perform better than it did in a 24-17 home loss to Oakland on Nov. 10, when the Raiders piled up 489 yards and avoided a third straight defeat.

Carson Palmer - making his second start and third appearance since being acquired from Cincinnati - threw two TD passes to Denarius Moore, while Michael Bush ran for a season-best 157 yards with a career-high 85 yards receiving.

While Oakland's offense could get a huge lift with the possible return of running back Darren McFadden (right foot) and wide receiver Jacoby Ford (left foot), who have missed eight and six games, respectively, the club will have a significant edge in special teams.

Kicker Sebastian Janikowski, who drilled the game-winning 36-yarder last Saturday, was named to the Pro Bowl, as were punter Shane Lechler and Richard Seymour, the AFC special teams player of the week who blocked two field goals against Kansas City.

Oakland could also improve its playoff chances by committing fewer penalties. After being whistled for a season high-tying 15 last week, the Raiders are four shy of setting the NFL record with 159.

Oakland, which had lost 13 straight to San Diego before its current three-game run, ended a six-game home losing streak to the Chargers with a 35-27 victory Oct. 10, 2010.

NO EXCUSES ALL HANDS ON DECK WE NEED A WIN! LETS GO NATION!

Meta4iCAL

Raider Nation
Feb 21, 2005
Biggest game the raiders have played since the super bowl loss to Tampa bay. If you're a raiders fan and in or near the bay you HAVE to be at this game

Joey

Sicc OG
Jul 2, 2002
My wife want to go to this game hella bad 2. I may go. Damn it should not have come to this in order for us to make the Playoffs..

corinthian

Just Win Baby!!!
Feb 23, 2006
3rd ID
don't forget the loss to the lions by 1 point, giving up two touchdowns at the end of the game. the big one was the loss to denver though, after dominating the first half and then melting down in the second half. a win their would have us a game up right now and owning the tie breaker. we always gotta do it the hard way though.

even if we end up not getting in to the playoffs. I still want the team to go down fighting. better not get left out because we couldn't beat SD. if we get it should be because denver won and cincy too.

Jan 18, 2006
Always worried when playing the Chargers but our linemen its seems have been dominating on both sides of the ball in the past few games against the Chargers and it has led us to convincing wins which is crazy to me cuz of how talented the Chargers are

Mar 11, 2011
Chargers are gonna be pretty dialed in after gettin mollywopped by the Lions. Rivers plays best when he has nothing to really lose.

I'm takin the Chargers, that passing attack is gonna be too much and Matthews and Tolbert compliment it well. But the raiders have a nice little vertical passing game too, especially when Ford's 100%.

Cosign it's gonna be a dope ass game.

Dec 2, 2006
Reno,Nv
heading to the fkn game got luxy seats from grandpa for Xmas the team better show up to play a dangerious SD team who could give a fuck about us trying to make the playoffs going to be a great meaningful game an may the better squad win! LETS GET IT RAIDERS! play for fkn pride infront of the whole motherfucking nation

Apr 25, 2002
The most important game in this new decade, we the people in the raider nation deserve 60 minutes of heart on that field. For our fallen leader and the organization. No excuses, play hard play smart. To those that are going to the game represent all of us who can't make it to the game. Shut the mouths of all these lil bitches that oppose our squad. The turmoil of our bumpy rollercoaster ride we have this season, with all that we witness should come to fruition as the autumn wind has turned to a winters wonderland. Just win baby!!!!!

2011 afc west champs on the horizon let's earn it!!!!

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
before the season started I figured the afc championship would come down to this game, but I figured it would be between us and the chargers.....I'll be there screaming as loud as I can....I hope seymour knocks out phyllis rivers

Dec 4, 2006
If you ever visit the bay area, let me know..I'd like to drop off you off in the middle of the swampy D and yell out ..

"THIS IDAHO FAGGOT SAID FRISCO IS FULL OF FAGGOTS" .. bet you'll have a change of heart towards SF..