Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Bradley vs. Mayweather Jr. on May 4th?
January 20th, 2013 | Post Comment

timothy bradley floyd mayweather jr By Allan Fox: According to Dan Rafael of ESPN, WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley (29-0, 12 KO’s) could be under consideration for Floyd Mayweather Jr’s next fight on May 4th. Recently, Bradley’s name has been mentioned as possibly fighting Yuriorokis Gamboa on March 16th, but that fight might not happen if Mayweather decides he wants Bradley.

Rafael speculates that the reason why Bradley’s team hasn’t finished the negotiations for that fight is because there’s chance that he could possibly get selected by Mayweather Jr. for May 4th. It goes without saying that the Mayweather Jr. fight is a much better one for Bradley than a fight against Gamboa, who really doesn’t have much of a fan base to speak of in the United States.

It’s been previously thought that Mayweather Jr. would be fighting WBC interim welterweight champion Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero on May 4th, and if not him then WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. After all, May 4th is the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo, and it doesn’t make sense for Mayweather to be fighting on that date unless he’s going to be fighting a Mexican fighter.

The only reason I could see Mayweather Jr. choosing not to fight a Mexican American like Guerrero is perhaps he may have gotten cold feet after seeing some of his recent fights.

To be sure, the Bradley fight is a much better match-up for the 5’8” Mayweather than a fight against the tough southpaw Guerrero. Bradley is only 5’6”, and he doesn’t throw a lot a lot of punches like Guerrero.

Bradley is physical like Guerrero, but not nearly as much. He’s not going to grab you and hit you at the same time like Guerrero sometimes down. The worst that Mayweather Jr. would have to worry about in a fight with Bradley is to try and avoid getting hit with a head-butt given that Bradley often leads with his head when he fights.

Jul 24, 2005
Mikey Garcia wants Gamboa next; willing to fight him at a catch weight
January 20th, 2013 | Post Comment

yuriorkis gamboa orlando salido mikey garcia By Dan Ambrose: Newly crowned WBO featherweight champion Mikey Garcia (31-0, 26 KO’s) defeated Orlando Salido (39-12-2, 27 KO’s) and won his WBO strap by a head-butt that caused an eight round technical decision. After the fight, Mikey called out former two time featherweight champion Yuriorkis Gamboa, saying he’d be willing to fight him at a catchweight.

The chances of Mikey, who isn’t a big name, getting the Gamboa fight will likely come down to whether Gamboa can get a title shot against WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley. That’s the fight that Gamboa wants considering it’ll pay a lot more than fighting Mikey.

However, if Gamboa can’t get the fight with Bradley, then he might want to take the fight with Mikey, and I think Gamboa wins that fight as long as he doesn’t get knocked out. That’s the only way Mikey can beat Gamboa seeing that he’s a lot faster than Mikey, and he’s got power almost as good.

I think it’s doubtful that Gamboa will back down to featherweight to fight Mikey because Gamboa is 31 now, and he wants to get bigger fights with more money. Fighting Mikey is a backwards move for Gamboa. The money is at welterweight and Gamboa has a good chance of being an immediate player at that weight. Mikey needs to get a clue and look to move up in weight as well to get bigger fights.

I wouldn’t mind see Mikey face WBC lightweight champion Adrien Broner if Mikey were willing to move up two divisions to make the fight happen. Mikey can forget about asking the much more popular Broner to fight him at a catch weight because he’ll get laughed at, but if Mikey wants the better fights he’s going to have to be willing to move up just like Robert Guerrero did. I don’t think Mikey will do well against a solid fighter like Broner, but at least he’d get a good payday in losing.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
lol Canelo is a boss! 22 years old and already has his own company. BOSS!

I deleted it because I read online the floyd sr account is fake and the canelo vs mayweather rumors are false at the moment. Got EM!
Awe really? Man I am gonna stop reading these rumors until things are confirmed. This is getting pretty late on these announcements though. Its almost Feb and we dont know who who either May or Canelo is fighting. Would be surprised if they are fighting each other because of the short time to build up fight. Got Em!!

Props: IronLungs420
Jan 12, 2006
Awe really? Man I am gonna stop reading these rumors until things are confirmed. This is getting pretty late on these announcements though. Its almost Feb and we dont know who who either May or Canelo is fighting. Would be surprised if they are fighting each other because of the short time to build up fight. Got Em!!
Yeah these rumors are getting out of control, I'm guessing they're trying to get the numbers right for both fighters. I also don't think these fighters need much time to build up this fight. The numbers for this fight are going to be insane, I can't wait to watch 24/7 and max kellerman do the face off.

Jan 12, 2006
Floyd Mayweather Sr Floyd Mayweather Sr ‏@FJMayweather
Yes I can confirm Lil Floyd will face Saul Canelo Alvarez next on May 4th! #MayeatherAlvarez
Retweeted by Bernardo Osuna ESPN
Dan Rafael ‏ D @danr afaelespn
@osunaespn That Mayweather account is fake dude. Look at your DM.
Bernardo Osuna ‏@osunaespn
B @ben2 012_London I've been "catfished"
trolled

Props: 2-0-Sixx

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
Tim Bradley like I always knew. Hope this shit is true he earned it more than anyone imo
I wouldnt mind Mayweather fighting Bradley, Guerrero, or Canelo. Anyone else would be wack. Im sure it will be one of the 3 and most likely between Bradley & Guerrero. I actually see Mayweather fighting Bradley in May and Guerrero in September. Thats the route I would go especially if Canelo doesnt fight Trout. He needs to fight Trout to earn the Mayweather fight in my opinion. Got Em!!

Props: trips