Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Marquez: "My Skills Will Overcome Floyd Mayweather Jr"

By Mark Vester

Juan Manuel Marquez is counting down the days until the biggest fight of his career. With a little over a month to go, Marquez is preparing for his challenge of of his life against Floyd Mayweather Jr. on September 19 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Marquez sees Mayweather as the best fighter in the world and he feels that his skills will overcome the physical gifts of Floyd.

"I am convinced that Floyd Mayweather is the best boxer of the world. We are ready for him. We know that it is a difficult fight, therefore we are training very hard. We will beat him with our skills and being intelligent in the ring. What is important is to take the challenge, because I have always said that a person can't win if he doesn't take risks. A person has to take risks to become something in the life," Marquez said to ESTO.

Marquez felt that he could beat Mayweather prior to signing the contract. He doesn't fear the weight advantage. Marquez, the WBA/WBO lightweight champion, is moving up be nearly two weight divisions to meet Mayweather at 144-pounds.

"I wouldn't have accepted that fight if I didn't think that I could beat him. Mayweather is a very tough opponent, but he can be beat by using intelligence in the ring. He's very good with his defense, and very technical and a good boxing. He is considered the best, pound by pound in the world, and I also consider him the best, and I think the public and the media does as well," Marquez said.

Jul 24, 2005
Chris Arreola - "I Want The Fight To Be A Classic

Exclusive Interview by James Slater - One of 2009's most anticipated fights comes on September 26th in Los Angeles, as WBC heavyweight ruler Vitali Klitschko squares up with unbeaten Mexican/American challenger Chris Arreola. Promising to be a great battle of big punching warriors, the title fight has sure got the fans (and the media) buzzing.

28-year-old Arreola, nicknamed, of course, "The Nightmare" is anticipating an "all out war" next month, and he is sure he will be the man left standing when all the smoke clears.

Very kindly taking time out to speak with me earlier today from his San Fernando Valley training camp, the 27-0(24) big man had the following answers to my questions..

James Slater: It's a pleasure to speak with you, sir, as always. Just to start off, how has training been going so far? I know you've only been in camp for a week or so.

Chris Arreola: My pleasure. It's been going good, man. Darryl, my conditioning coach, has been putting me through it and my trainer, Henry, has also been kicking my butt in the gym, so it's all coming together.

J.S: Have you started sparring yet?

C.A: Oh, sure. I'm in my second week of sparring already.

J.S: And who have you been working with?

C.A: At the moment it's Cisse Salif, and we're going to get Lance Whitaker and then either Tye Fields or Michael Grant.

J.S: Obviously big guys with height then, to emulate Vitali?

C.A: Of course, yeah.

J.S: And you're out at San Fernando Valley now, right?

C.A: Yeah, I'm out in San Fernando and I love it here. It's really nice here - so much better than Big Bear. I hate Big Bear!

J.S: We all saw the press conference last week, when you and Viltali came face-to-face. Was that the first time you'd met him up close?

C.A: No. I met him when I'd had about three or four fights. I doubt he even remembers it, but it was back in LA when I was sparring with his brother.

J.S: When you sized him up last week, so to speak, did you have any initial thoughts, like he's taller or shorter than you thought he'd be?

C.A: He was actually a little smaller than I thought. You build up this image of him in your head, of him being like out of Rocky, you know, Ivan Drago. But he's not that big really. But regardless of that, I've still got to chop him down to my size in the ring.

J.S: A lot of fans liked how you and Vitali were both gentlemen at the press conference - you both showed each other a lot of respect. There's never any trash talk from you, is there?

C.A: Boxing is a gentleman's sport. Some people need to talk trash to get themselves mentally up for the fight. I don't need to do that. I knew Vitali would be a gentleman also. We talk business in the ring, that's all.

J.S: The fans are really buzzing about this fight, and are happy that the heavyweight division has a great fight to look forward to at last. Are you feeling any different in yourself? I mean, I know you're massively motivated, but do you feel anything else differently? Are there even any nerves?

C.A: No. I have no nerves at all. I am hugely motivated for the fight, but I'm not scared, I'm not intimidated. I'm happy about this fight. I'm looking forward to taking the bull by the horns. I won't pay any attention, really, when I enter the ring and all the lights and the cameras are on me. I'm happy to be getting the opportunity to put heavyweight boxing back on the map.

J.S: Ring magazine are excited about this fight. They said that Chris Arreola may not win, but he will give it everything he has trying. I know you don't want to hear about people saying you'll lose, but even Ring are pumped about this fight, does that make you feel good?

C.A: I think it's good that this fight has given people something to talk about. But, you know, I'm coming to win. I will win.

J.S: It's great that the fight got made, and seemingly so easily. We know what happened over here in the UK with David Haye Vs. Klitschko becoming a farce. Fans are glad that this fight is actually happening!

C.A: I'm here to fight. That's what it's all about and what we're [boxers] here for. People pay to see us fight, they pay to see action. They sit down with their popcorn or whatever and they want to be entertained. So I always want to fight, whoever it's against. I just fight, man.

J.S: Everyone talks about Vitali's long reach and his good left jab. Is that your main concern, his jab?

C.A: Yes, of course his jab is a concern, but his right hand in my main concern - the way he drops that hammer down. The jab sets up his right. So, of course, we have to take his left jab away from him, and that will leave him with nothing. I have to get inside.

J.S: As good as he is, Vitali is 38 and he has to go some time. Do you think it will be against you?

C.A: Well, nowadays, 38 is nothing really. Age doesn't really come into it today, look at Bernard Hopkins. So age is not a factor. He's [Vitali] still a warrior and I have to fight him like he's a young man.

J.S: Have you got your tactics firmly in your head? Do you have a mental picture of how you see yourself fighting against Vitali?

C.A: Yeah, I know I have to get inside. That's most important. And I've got to apply pressure, constant pressure. I have to hit his arms, his chest, his head, his belly - I have to just make sure I hit him everywhere I can. I have to make it my fight. And of course, I have to try some new things, like head movement, side steps and angles.

J.S: Most people are expecting a great action fight. Do you expect a really brutal fight? A war?
C.A: I'm hoping it will be. I really am. I want an all out war. I hope this fight is a classic, plain and simple.

J.S: Well, it's been great speaking with you once again, Chris. I really wish you all the best for September, and hopefully the next time I speak with you you will be the heavyweight champion of the world!

C.A: Thank you. I'm always happy to do interviews

Jul 24, 2005
Why the heavyweight division will continue to decline

Bill Patrice Jones - It is no secret that the heavyweight division has currently been receiving some of the most intense criticism ever levelled at professional boxing. It is fair to place the real origin of this criticism with the retirement of universally recognised and undisputed heavyweight champion of the world Lennox Lewis and the subsequent failure to provide in his absence another seemingly worthy and dominant champion.

His vacated WBC belt fell into the hands of the respected but certainly only reasonably famous in America: Vitali Klitschko, whom Lewis had shared a titanic tussle with in his last defence. Though only one of four belt holders Klitschko was widely seen as the current heavyweight champion and his demolition of Britain’s overmatched Danny Williams in 8 rounds seemed to suggest something of a huge gap between himself and the rest of the division..

The only other rated champion was American Chris Byrd who held the IBF belt. Byrd had recorded a past win over Vitali Klitschko but it had been the result of a freak injury and few thought Byrd could realistically stand a chance in a rematch. We may have been happy to settle into a reign with Vitali, but unfortunately his injuries persisted and his career was suddenly in jeopardy as it emerged he was unable to make it safely through a training camp. His much anticipated clash with former champion Hasim Rahman was put on hold again and again, until eventually Klitschko was stripped of the title. There were probably myriad reasons for Vitali‘s retirement he may have been: Sensing little to accomplish in a division in which he was clearly the best by a long way, depressed by Lewis’s refusal to meet him in a rematch and struggling with persistent and debilitating injuries. It led our last recognised ‘champion’ into retirement. Leaving us the boxing fans with the unsavoury prospect of four largely unpopular and unheralded belt holders: Hasim Rahman, Chris Byrd, Lamon Brewster and John Ruiz. None of them was sufficiently dominant to get people particularly excited. People were getting increasingly desperate and looking in all sorts of places to find our next heavyweight idol. Samuel Peter the young Nigerian puncher was thought of commonly as heir apparent to Mike Tyson, but he was defeated by Wladimir Klitschko in his first major bout, went on to win a version of the title but was humiliated when defending it against Vitali. No Saviour found there! Chris Byrd’s reasonable success with his IBF belt led some inside the sport to think of him as a potential redeemer, but he was pummelled into submission by Wladimir Klitschko and saw his career destroyed in the process. No Saviour there either! Lamon Brewster was tough and entertaining, but lost his title to the lightly regarded Sergey Lyakhovich. Certainly no saviour there! John Ruiz meanwhile tediously led us through an uninspiring title run before being deposed controversially by the freakish giant Nikolai Valuev. Yet we needed no confirmation that Ruiz was no saviour!

These four belts would change hands in horrible contests until finally one man began to dominate: Wladimir Klitschko. He partially unified the belts and certainly began to appear head and shoulders above the rest of the division. Then Lo and Behold Vitali Klitschko came back to pick up another belt. The two brothers now reigning together.

Enough has been written about the Klitschko brothers in recent months. This article does not concern them alone. Certainly they have proven themselves the best of a very poor era.

This article concerns the single most important factor in contributing to the decline of quality on the heavyweight division: Weight!

For years now our heavyweights have become consistently heavier as the years have passed, until we have reached a point where the current heavyweights tip the scales in such devastating fashion as to dwarf many of their historical predecessors. Indeed if one looks at some of the last known weights of each of the top ten heavyweights here is what it looks like:

Wladimir Klitschko 240
Vitali Klitschko 253 (against Samuel Peter)
David Haye 220 (against Monte Barrett)
Nikolai Valuev 314 (against Evander Holyfield)
Ruslan Chagaev 240 (against Wladimir Klitschko)
Eddie Chambers 208 (against Alexander Dimitrenko)
Alexander Povetkin 241 (against Jason Estrada)
John Ruiz 239
Juan Carlos Gomez 241
Samuel Peter 263 (against Eddie Chambers)

With the exceptions of David Haye and Eddie Chambers, the sheer heaviness of each of our current top guys is truly staggering. People reminisce constantly about the days of Holyfield and Tyson but tend not to make the crucial connection between the slim athletic builds offered by the two and the non athletic and much higher weight offered by today’s heavyweights. I think that Holyfield Tyson II is arguably the last heavyweight contest in which the two combatants truly fought with good athletic movement and got up on their toes from the opening bell.

One needs to be directed back to such bouts as Tyson Spinks, Holmes Norton, Ali Frazier etc and be amazed at the level of athleticism on display. Just watch how Tyson jumps into Spink’s chest from the opening bell and then contrast that with Samuel Peter’s incredulously slow walkout against Vitali Klitschko

There will always be good and bad eras of boxing, that is just life. Yet the reason why this new era of heavyweight boxing is so incredibly bad and why it sees no improvement on the horizon is because of the weight issue. Mike Tyson in his prime weighed in at around the 210-225 mark Evander Holyfield the same. A prime George Foreman’s prime weight was somewhere within the 217-225 region, Joe Frazier‘s between 203-209. The mean weight of today’s heavyweight is almost 30 pounds heavier than that. Just ask yourselves as viewers when was the last time you saw two heavyweights move at the pace anything remotely resembling the golden age?

The general disdain for today’s heavyweight boxing is not about racism or bias against Eastern Block fighters but about the lack of athleticism on display. Just take a look at the prime weights of former heavyweight champions:

Muhammad Ali 202-216
Joe Frazier 203-209
George Foreman 217-225
Kenny Norton 205-220
Larry Holmes 209-213
Michael Spinks 170-209
Mike Tyson 215-221
Evander Holyfield 187-218
Michael Moorer 175-222
Riddick Bowe 225-235 (though at times to his discredit much higher)
Lennox Lewis 225-239 (though at times higher resulting in poor performance)

This September Chris Arreola will square off against Vitali Klitschko in what will in all probability end up being a mismatch. It might bring one aged boxing fan in America to tears watching their ‘top guy’ in Arreola wobble around the ring carrying 30 pounds of excess baggage with him. Especially considering how long ago it now feels like when Tyson and Holyfield went at it in 1996.

Solution? Perhaps there is none, or perhaps the only foreseeable way of changing this trend is to introduce a limit on the weight of heavyweight boxers? Though this seems terribly extreme and may backfire. David Haye may be infuriating boxing fans worldwide but he has my utmost support purely on the basis of the athleticism he delivers in the ring. On the basis of him being a smaller heavyweight in an era of untalented bigger heavyweights.

Love them or hate them, the Klitschko’s are currently the two best heavyweights out there and more importantly are of the rare variety of big heavyweights who are skilled and well conditioned. Though not as good as Lennox Lewis (especially a young one) they are in the same vein. But where will we look to in the wake of their respective retirements? When all that we see on the horizon are seriously overweight non athletic competitors? The heavies are too heavy! If you look at the last 50 years of heavyweight boxing you can see in all fairness only four truly ‘big men’ in terms of weight who won the heavyweight title and were well conditioned and athletic in the process: Lennox Lewis, Riddick Bowe, Wladimir Klitschko and Vitali Klitschko. All of the other past greats we hark back to when reminiscing about the golden age were considerably lighter than our current modern heavyweight.

52 comments

Jul 24, 2005
Is Donaire Looking For A New Trainer

Is Donaire Looking For A New Trainer?
By – Benjie Varella: The “Filipino Flash” Nonito Donaire, the newly crowned WBA Interim Superflyweight without a doubt outpointed his foe Rafael “El Torito” Concepcion of Panama last Saturday to capture the vacant title. Many boxing fans and analysts didn’t expect though the match to last full twelve rounds. I personally believed that the Filipino Flash will finish El Torito somewhere in the mid-rounds of the match but that didn’t happen. I was more than surprised when Donaire’s knees wobbled several times after wild barrage of punches from Concepcion between different rounds.

But the new champ still has to be given credits for winning the title because he was fighting a bigger-bloated Concepcion who weighed in 4 ½ pounds above the 115-pound limit. Donaire was originally fighting in the Flyweight division.

As mentioned earlier, still, many fans were disappointed by the performance of Donaire. Many spectators were waiting for annihilation just like what he did to Vic Darchinyan two years ago. No one can blame the fans; Nonito is a pound for pound boxer meaning that he is considered as one of the best boxer in the world. He needs to live up to this status.

That’s why rumours has it right after the fight that Donaire is considering of parting ways with his trainers, the Penalosa brothers, Jonathan and Dodie Boy because he was not properly conditioned for the match.

But Donaire himself during a press conference held at GMA-7 last Tuesday afternoon in Manila said that he is staying with the Penalosa’s even assuring that the brothers will be in his corner later this year for a blockbuster fight with either Arce of Montiel.

The Filipino Flash has been victorious twice with the guidance of the Penalosa’s. Prior to the Concepcion match, Donaire won by a knockout 4 months ago against then undefeated challenger Raul Martinez to retain his IBF Flyweight crown.

During the press conference, well-known trainer Freddie Roach’s name was mentioned if there was a possibility of a Donaire-Roach tandem in the future.

The Filipino Flash said that he is not closing his door of tapping the service of Roach in the future but stressed that he would prefer trainers who would give him 100% full attention from training to battle.

Donaire reiterated that Roach has a lot of boxers in the Wild Card gym to pay attention to. Pound for pound king Manny Pacquiao, Bernabe Concepcion who was disqualified in Pinoy Power 2 and Amir Khan are just few names under his care.

Jul 24, 2005
Carl Froch - "I'm Going To Smash Them All And Win The Super-Six Tournament

James Slater - Carl "The Cobra" Froch, the unbeaten WBC super-middleweight champion has already proven he is a real fighter who can walk the walk as much as he can talk the talk. Having gone over to America to make the first defence of his belt and rallied while behind on points to KO former middleweight king Jermain Taylor in doing so, the Nottingham man has shown us what he is made of. And now, as he gets ready for what will be his first fight in the upcoming "Super-Six" tournament of super-middleweights that will be shown live on Showtime, Froch has been talking the talk again.

Set to meet unbeaten former Olympian Andre Dirrell in his first fight of the tourney, Froch has been nothing but supremely confident during his preparations. So too has Dirrell, even to the point of predicting a KO win on October 17th, and the fireworks are sure to come when the bell for round-one goes..

As is usual when he is in the run up to a fight, Froch has been speaking to his local media. Speaking with This is Nottingham.co.uk, the exciting puncher had a something to say about Dirrell, the Super-Six tournament in general and, once again, former champion of the world Joe Calzaghe.

Froch sure knows how to make the fans pay attention, as you will agree when you've read what he had to say recently.

Froch first spoke about how he has been having some problems getting adequate sparring for the fight with Dirrell.

"My biggest problem is getting sparring. I need a big, tall southpaw if you know of anyone," Froch stated. "I was thinking of giving Joe Calzaghe a ring. After all he was the best super-middleweight in the world. But I think he might be a bit too heavy these days."

You've got to love that crack at Calzaghe! In seriousness, Froch said he may have to import an American or Canadian fighter to spar with him for the October fight. And the WBC ruler says there is no way Dirrell will KO him as he's said he will.

"This young American says he will knock me out. But I'm going to smash them all and win the tournament," Froch continued. "It will be interesting to see how Mikkell Kessler does against [Jermain] Taylor. And Arthur Abraham could be a danger. He is coming up a weight and could be a handful. But I'm not the bookie's favourite for nothing, you know. Don't forget, "The Cobra" is unbeaten and I've knocked out eighty percent of my opponents."

Is Froch actually the betting favourite to win Super-Six? The WBC champ sure thinks he is, and that may be all that matters in his mind. It's interesting to read how Froch lists Kessler and Abraham as the two fighters of the tourney he is most interested/wary of. And it sure will be fascinating seeing how his two biggest rivals (on paper) do in their fights. In short, this whole tournament is a great and hugely exciting idea. And win or lose, Froch is definitely a fighter who will give his all in each single bout.

"The Cobra" finished off by saying how he is making sure his fans will be able to get cheap tickets for the October fight in his hometown.

"We need to fill the arena," he said. "I've asked that tickets be kept at £30 for my loyal fans who have followed me from the start. I think ringside will have gone up to £400, but believe me, they will sell out in thirty seconds flat

Jul 24, 2005
BJ Flores Speaks Out

Exclusive Interview by Geoffrey Ciani - Saturday night, undefeated cruiserweight contender BJ Flores scored an impressive stoppage victory against Epifanio Mendoza. Before the fight Flores had wanted to make a statement to the fans—and make a statement he did, in what might well have been his most impressive performance to date. I was afforded the opportunity to have a brief chat with Flores to discuss his performance and his future. Here is what he had to say:

Q: First off BJ, congratulations on your impressive victory against Epifanio Mendoza. Going into that fight, a lot of people thought Mendoza would be able to give you some problems, but instead, you thoroughly dominated the action. What were you able to do that enabled you to dictate the terms of the fight?

I went out there and I had two healthy hands. A lot of people have this misconception that I’m a passive fighter and that maybe I’m not aggressive, but when I’m healthy and I’m in shape, I’m going to be aggressive with any cruiserweight. This guy had 25 knockouts and 29 wins. We were going after him, our plan was to knock him out and not win by decision.. I went out there and I showed that I could be aggressive . I could definitely be aggressive and I could definitely take the fight to somebody, and that’s what I did on Saturday night.

Speaking of the knockout, watching the fight from my perspective, it seemed that it was only a matter of time before you were going to score a knockout. Did you feel cheated out of the KO victory when Mendoza hurt his shoulder?

A little bit. I mean I wanted to land a clean shot and score an impressive knockout. Any fight I have ever been in where I have been landing my jab like that, it’s only a matter of time before I knock him out, because when I’m touching him up with the jab like that I started to catch him in the third round with my other power punches. Every time I hit him I felt like I rattled him and he was hurt. I think it was just a matter of time before I landed the clean shot. If he really injured his shoulder then I hope he recovers well. I would definitely have liked to have scored a knockout, but I’ll take a stoppage victory anyway I can get it.

BJ, when I last had the opportunity to speak with you it was on the On the Ropes Boxing Radio Program, and on the show, you had said that you wanted to make a statement on August 15. In your mind, did you accomplish what you set out to do in that regard?

I didn’t score a clean knockout like I would have liked, but through the four rounds I was in control. I felt like I was showing hand speed, I was showing power, I was showing combination punching, and just showing that—even though a lot of people thought this guy was going to give me a lot of problems—when I am on top of my game I can make things work. I think that’s what it was on Saturday night. I was seeing everything in slow motion and it was just one of those situations where I felt like I was able to see everything he was doing. My punches were coming off fast and hard and every time I connected I could see I was physically hurting him. It was just one of those nights.

That’s why you work so hard in the gym. Unfortunately, at this level that I’m at now, you have to have one of those nights every single time out. You can’t afford a bad night because everyone will make it be known if you are not on top of your game. So that’s why I work so hard in training camp.

Ideally, when will we see you in the ring again and who would you like to fight next?

I’m already scheduled to fight November 21 in Australia on the Danny Green-Roy Jones under card. They are getting somebody for me, right now, I guess. I believe they have somebody in mind already. I’m not sure who the opponent will be. To be honest, there were eight different guys who we offered this (last) fight to, and Epifanio Mendoza was really the one who, on three weeks notice, said, “Yeah, I’ll take it. I got 25 knockouts so I’ll knock BJ out.” I respected him for coming in and taking the fight, but we offered it to a lot of different guys and they didn’t want it, so this is going to be exciting to get an opponent this far in advance for this November 21 fight. Whoever they get me, I’m good to go. I have faith in my promoters, and whoever they get me, I’ll be ready for it.

Speaking of Roy Jones, what did you think of his performance on Saturday?

‘Spectacular’ is my thoughts on it. I don’t care how old he is, he has the fastest hands in boxing, period. People say he isn’t what he once was, but I think that right now, he is as physically gifted as he has ever been and I think he knows how to fight a little smarter now. I think he just went through a little down time when he lost to (Antonio) Tarver and (Glenn) Johnson, because he was coming back down from heavyweight and his body wasn’t fully recovered from losing all that weight. Since then he has had time to settle in and regained his confidence. I think he will give any light heavyweight in the world problems right now. I think he beats Jean Pascal, I think he beats Zsolt Erdei—the WBC and WBO champions. The only one who you can’t say Roy is almost a clear-cut winner to beat is Chad Dawson. Chad Dawson has earned the title and he is now the best light heavyweight in the world, but I think that Roy is the only one who really matches up with Chad physically. I think that would be a very exciting fight down the road.

All of the other light heavyweights on the landscape—I think Roy beats them. If you look at Adrian Diaconu, and you look at some of those other light heavyweights, I think Roy just has his way with those guys. He’s too fast, he’s too strong, and he’s too smart, so I just don’t see those guys beating him.

Rumors have recently surfaced about a possible comeback for former cruiserweight champion Vassiliy Jirov. What are your thoughts on his comeback and would you perhaps be interested in fighting him?

Oh, of course. We heard about Vassiliy’s comeback, and we actually offered him this (last) fight. They said they wanted to get another comeback fight or two before they looked in our direction. Vassiliy Jirov was a great champion and he has a great name. He’s been out of the ring for a little while but he’s still got a good game and he has very, very good credentials. He’s a gold medalist and he’s very tough, and he is one of the biggest names in the division. He’s one of the few cruiserweights who has established his name, so that would be a very interesting fight for me. I think he’s earned everything he’s gotten so far, and I think it would be a very tough and very entertaining fight. If my people want to put me in that fight, then I am all for it.

Assuming the Tomasz Adamek-Steve Cunningham rematch happens, which is not definite by any means yet, who do you think would win that fight and where do you think you would personally fit in amongst the cruiserweight landscape once all the dust has settled?

I think Cunningham wins the rematch, and the reason I think that is because of the addition of Nazim Richardson in his corner. I think he’s going to box Adamek smart the second time and be more intelligent, and I think he would have won the first time if he had been a little more intelligent. With that being said, I think Adamek is very tough, but if Cunningham sticks to the game plan then Cunningham beats him.

And how I match up with Cunningham? Cunningham is an outstanding boxer. He is in fantastic shape, he’s a former world champion and he is very physical and very good. It’s impossible to say how I would do against Cunningham, but I think I would be very competitive. People saw a little glimpse of me on Saturday night of my jab and my straight punches and the body shots and what I have. That’s kind of what I have known the whole time and have said the whole time, and people may have been a little surprised when they saw me at the top of my game, and I think Saturday was a little glimpse of that for a few rounds. I wasn’t trying to rush anything and wasn’t trying to rush a knockout, I was just following my game plan. Everyone told me when I got out of the ring, “You look bigger, you look faster, you look stronger. I don’t know what happened to you.” Right now, mentally, I am in a very good place and I’m very excited.

In my opinion, that was one of the best performances, if not the best performance, I have ever seen from you. You had everything working nicely. You had the jab going well, you were sneaking the right in behind it, you were throwing good combos, and you were mixing it up to the head and body very well. How do you attribute everything coming together for you so perfectly in your last fight? Was it something in your preparations?

I think sometimes it just takes awhile to get comfortable in the ring as a professional. Saturday night was a fight where I wanted to go in and make a statement. I knew my back was kind of against a wall, and it really just kind of relaxed me to be honest with you. I was totally relaxed getting in the ring and I knew that there was nothing Mendoza would be able to do to stop me that night. I said at the Press Conference, when everyone was saying “if I win”, “if I win”, I said, “Listen, on Saturday night, there’s nothing Mendoza’s going to do to stop me from winning—I will win.” I was very calm and very confident and very relaxed, and I think it was because of my preparations. I want to thank my strength coach Ray Franklin, my trainer Jacob Chavez, and my father Frank Flores, and also my management team—Jerry and Megan—they all combined to come together as a team to make it possible to where I don’t have to worry about anything else except boxing. That right there is what makes it possible for me to go out and perform like I did on Saturday, because my team has come together and put me in a situation where my only concern is boxing. That’s what I can do when I am at my best and don’t have any other distractions.

And I have a lot more than that, people just saw a little bit of it. There’s going to be a lot more of that. I can do that consistently, I could have done that all night. Trust me, Mendoza wouldn’t have stuck around all night if I would have just done that for a couple of more rounds. I can do that all night, I can do that for ten rounds, I can do it for fifteen rounds.

BJ, is there anything else you would like to say to all of your fans over at East Side Boxing?

I just want to say that I wanted to go out and make a statement in this fight and I know that I have to be entertaining and that’s what I tried to do on Saturday. In the future you’re going to see a more aggressive BJ Flores—one who wants to go out and put on a good show and be entertaining. I’m coming up now and I’m in my prime now. I love my life, I love my job, and everyday I wake up and I’m excited, so I’m in a very good place right now. That’s pretty much the message I want people to know. I love boxing and I’m very excited about where I am right now.

I would like to thank BJ Flores for his time and wish him the best of luck in all future endeavors both inside and outside the ring.

Jul 24, 2005
Who Should Bernard Hopkins Fight Next - Adamek Or The Winner Of Dawson-Johnson II

by James Slater - The word is Bernard Hopkins wants one last fight on or around January 15th next year, the date on which he will turn 45-years young. Apparently, as fans may have read, "B-Hop" is looking at facing either IBF cruiserweight king Tomas Adamek, or the winner of the upcoming November rematch between light-heavies Chad Dawson and Glen Johnson (a fight which will now contest the vacant interim version of the WBC crown).

Which option would you, the fans, prefer "The Executioner" to take?

Looking to further cement his place as one of the smartest, most durable and flat out greatest fighters in boxing history, Hopkins would earn plaudits with a win in either of the two talked of bouts. And even though he will be even further into the early years of middle age by fight time, Hopkins would have to be given a superb shot at winning over whichever one of his three possible opponents he meets..

With a win over the tough Pole, Hopkins would have conquered yet another weight class, he would have become the first man to defeat Adamek at cruiserweight and he would also have added another world title to his trophy cabinet. On the other hand, if Hopkins were to beat Chad Dawson, he would have sent another young and unbeaten fighter back home with a 1 added to his loss column and he would also have beaten a man many see as the best 175-pound operator in the world today. As for the third possible foe in Glen Johnson, no disrespect to Johnson, but with a win "B-Hop" would simply be going over old ground (having stopped "The Road Warrior" in the 11th-round way back in 1997).

So, the two most attractive opponents for Hopkins' January 2010 date are Adamek and (providing there is no upset win scored by Johnson) "Bad" Chad. Adamek may be the more dangerous man of the two. We have yet to see how Hopkins can handle himself against a 200-pounder, for one thing, and Adamek has an iron jaw and he gets stronger and stronger as a fight progresses for another. Dawson, a better boxer than Adamek, has shown a somewhat suspect chin and a tendency to allow himself to be bullied and roughed up (see his first fight with Johnson).

In truth, it's easy enough to picture Hopkins schooling either Adamek or Dawson; so adept has he proved himself to be at continually proving his critics and the odds wrong. And there will no doubt be a number of people who will predict a loss for Hopkins if he takes either fight. Having been burned so many times by the Philly legend's ability to cause an upset, I will not be one of them!

Adamek has more of a chance of hurting Hopkins, especially late in the fight when "Goral" comes on strong and, as he did in the Joe Calzaghe loss, Hopkins fades a little. Of course, Dawson could well prove to be too fast for a 45-year-old, inactive-since-he-shut-out-Kelly Pavlik, version of Hopkins. But on the other hand, could "B-Hop" perhaps score a stoppage over the 27-year-old lefty? Don't forget how much of a master 'Nard has proven himself to be against southpaws, after all.

Both fights are intriguing, but personally, I'd like to see how Hopkins would handle the bigger and harder hitting fighter. It wouldn't be an upset if Hopkins were to take Adamek to school over the 12-rounds, but it sure would be impressive. Even more so, I think, than him doing the same thing to the less dangerous Dawson.

But against whoever it is he faces in what may well be his farewell fight, Hopkins is likely to be the man receiving the most cheers. And that hasn't always been the case in this modern day legend's all-time great career.

Jul 24, 2005
Haye vs Valuev Bout, No Decision Yet By The WBA

By Per Ake Persson

The WBA have still not made a ruling on Nikolai Valuev´s next defence which could be against David Haye or vs mandatory challenger John Ruiz. There are now negotiations going on for Ruiz to step aside and fight on the undercard to Valuev vs Haye on November 7.

Jr welterweightss Jo Jo Dan and Ojesun Olusegun clash in a WBC eliminator October 9 in Romania.

The Polish megafight between Tomasz Adamek vs Andrew Golota could be on for late October in Poland. There will be a press conference on Tuesday next week where more details will be known.

Karo Murat has vacated the EBU super middleweight title due to problems making the weight and is moving up to lightheavy. Murat was in training for a defense of the EBU title against Italian Lorenzo Di Giacomo on August 29 but is now on short notice on for a fight against Sergey Demchenko for the vacant WBO I/C title August 29. As for the vacant EBU title, Dimitri Sartison was mandatory challenger for Murat and he will now fight the highest available challenger, likely to be Universum stablemate Denis Inkin, to get a new champion.

Polish jr middleweight Daniel Urbanski won a close decision over Swede Karlo Tabaghua in Miedzyzdroje on Tuesday night with the IBF Youth and Int´l Polish titles at stake. The decision was controversial with most feeling Tabaghua, fighting on a Polish license, had nicked it. The two will now be rematched. Win, lose or draw Karlo, now 11-1, is heading back to welterweight.

Roy Jones, Jr, will be ringside for the "Ingo the Champ" show in Karlstad, Sweden on September 4. The show is a memorial event for the late Ingemar Johansson headlined by heavyweights Timor Ibragimov vs Al Cole and Attila Levin against Ivica Perkovic

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
I think Hopkins should fight Adamek. Chad very well might be the better fighter, but Chad cant sell for shit and it doesn't add much to Hopkins legacy at this point. Think about it.

If hopkins fights adamek he would move up to Cruiserweight (200 pounds) at age 45. If Hopkins were to win he would win his third lineal title in as many weight classes, two of which coming after the age of 40. That's insanity.

Plus I think adamek style is more suited for Bernard, a big puncher that doesn't have a tremendous amount of skill. Although any way you look at it's risky as hell being that Hopkins turns 45 in January and would be adding weight and adamek packs a helluva punch.

Jul 24, 2005
James "Lights Out" Toney - "The Klitschkos Have Been Ducking Me For Six Years!"

Exclusive Interview by James Slater - 40-year-old future Hall of Famer James Toney is the first to admit his showing against Fres Oquendo in his last fight back in December was in no way his best. The critics jumped all over "Lights Out" after the split decision was awarded him, and with good reason. However, back in the gym immediately after scoring what was his 71st win (with 6 losses and 3 draws), Toney says he is in great shape right now and ready to get to the top of the heavyweight division.

Set to take on the 12-5(11) Matthew Greer on September 12th, Toney is aiming for an eventual shot at one of the two Klitschko brothers - or the Klitschko sisters, as James refers to Wladimir and Vitali!

Very kindly taking the time to grant me the following interview earlier today, the all-time great had the following answers to my questions.

James Slater: It's a pleasure to speak with you, Champ. First of all, this fight you have coming up on September 12th, what do you know about Matthew Greer?

James Toney: How you doing, sir? I don't know too much about Matthew Greer. I know he's a game fighter, who'll come to fight and try his best, but it don't matter - on his best day he'll never have enough to live with me..

J.S: Have you been in the gym since your last win, over Fres Oquendo last December?

J.T: Every day! I've been in the gym for nine months. I'm in great shape and now it's time to get back at it. I wasn't happy with my showing last time out, and a lot of other people were not happy either. Everyone knows that wasn't the real James Toney (Vs. Oquendo). But the real Lights Out is back now.

J.S: Can I be rude enough to ask you what your weight is right now?

J.T: No problem. I left the gym today at 209.

J.S: 209? Wow, that's the old James Toney!

J.T: Yes sir. I'm back to the weight I was when I took out Evander Holyfield (in 2003). I want to show that I'm the best fighter in the world, the best skilled fighter out there. I'm one of the best fighters of all-time! Now I'm looking at getting back to the top of the heavyweight division.
(after the interview, John Arthur, James' current trainer/manager, spoke about how people are continually getting on his fighter's case about the weight issue. "James don't mind talking about his weight," Arthur said. "But I have to tell you that he may surprise everyone when he steps on the scale for this fight. He may weigh 209 right now but he may weight 215 tomorrow. He's a heavyweight, and even if he weighs in at 230 it's no problem. I don't want him dropping a whole lot of weight and weakening himself. He will surprise people when he weighs in for the fight, put it that way.")

J.S: Do you want a KO against Greer?

J.T: Just as long as I get a comprehensive victory, that's all that matters. It don't matter if it's a KO or a decision. I just want to get a win and then go after my goal of fighting the Klitschko sisters. They've both been ducking me for six years, and everyone knows it. It's like they think I have the plague or something! They keep talking about how great they are, yet they don't ever fight nobody, they just fight patsies. If they ever get in there with a real fighter like me they'll freeze and be KO'd - everybody knows that.

J.S: I read where your promoter, Dan Goossen, has said that if you look good against Greer a world title fight may come next year. Is that what you are looking for?

J.T: Don't forget I already have a title - I'm the IBA heavyweight champion. The belts don't label me. No belt makes me, I make the belts, man. I just want to continue fighting the best fighters out there, like I've always done. It's up to the public who I fight and if I get a Klitschko sister into the ring; it's up to the fans clamouring for it. Everyone wants to see me in with the Klitschkos, though, to see if they are the real deal. Everyone knows I'm the real deal. I'm the only middleweight since the great Ezzard Charles to have campaigned for so long up at heavyweight. I'm old-school, like he was.

J.S: You're talking to a fan here, James. I know I have to be impartial, but I do rate you as a true great, just like the "Cincinnati Cobra."

J.T: You know all about The Cincinnati Cobra! He was the best light-heavyweight and middleweight in history. Everyone knows Archie Moore wouldn't fight Charles for the world title - that's why he had to move up to fight Rocky Marciano for the heavyweight title.

J.S: You want the Klitschkos, as you've said. But would a fight with Nikolai Valuev interest you if it was offered instead?

J.T: He's a joke. He's a puppet, like a sideshow. He can't even spell fight! I know David Haye is fighting him, because he [Haye] sees that as an easier option than facing one of the Klitschko sisters. But bottom line, I'll fight anyone, any time. That's been my motto for 30 years, to fight the best.

J.S: After you beat Greer, do you plan to fight again this year?

J.T: My goal, and I told my dad this the other day, is to have three more fights this year. As great as I feel now, physically and mentally, I want to fight again in October and then in either November or December. Then, in 2010, being back as brand new, I'll kill everyone I fight!

J.S: Your place in history as a great is secure. But the critics want to know why you are still fighting at age 40. I know you were born to fight......

J.T: (jumping in) I love it! I'm in great shape and I'm having fun every day in the gym. I'm the most skilled fighter in the world. Ain't no-one who can do what I do. Now I want to get back to the top of the heavyweight division. I've already beaten Holyfield, John Ruiz, Dominick Guinn, Sam Peter - even though he was supposed to be this big puncher he couldn't do nothing to me, I killed his spirit.

J.S: It's a real pleasure t speak with you, James. As I say I'm a real fan. You have often made some predictions on fights other than your own. Can I ask you your take on the upcoming Vitali Klitschko-Chris Arreola fight? Does Chris have a chance of winning in your opinion?

J.T: Thank you. Yeah, Arreola has a chance - he has a snowball's chance in hell! If he can't get Vitali out of there in the first 3 or 4 rounds he'll be in trouble - he won't be able to last the distance.

J.S: You don't think Arreola is in shape?

J.T: I can't say he's not in shape, because that's not my place to say. I mean, anything's possible, and I like Chris. But I think in his last fight, against Jameel McCline, McCline took a dive. But I wish Arreola the best.

J.S: Well, we all wish you the best, James. Thanks again for taking the time to speak with me.

J.T: You're welcome.

one of the best shit talkers in the game

Jul 24, 2005
The Floyd Mayweather, Jr. You Don't Know

by T.K. Stewart

After nearly two years away from the sport of boxing, Floyd Mayweather, Jr. is preparing to make a triumphant return to the arena that has made him famous and wealthy beyond anything he could have once imagined.

For his last three bouts, Mayweather has earned an astronomical $60 million. But it was not that long ago that “Money” as he is now known, shared a bedroom with half-a- dozen of his siblings and lived in a house in a tough neighborhood of Grand Rapids, Mich. A house that often times went for days without electrical service.

These days, most know Mayweather for his brash manner, his boastful ways and over-the-top personality. It is a public persona that easily overshadows the increasingly private, father of four who retired from the sport in 2007. Over the past few years he has managed to become one of the most wealthy athletes in the world. He has helped promote the biggest names in the world of hip-hop music (Lil Wayne, Beyonce, Jay-Z, Mary J. Blige) possesses a fleet of luxury automobiles and now resides behind the tall gates of a $10 million mansion that he recently had built in Las Vegas.

But there's another side to Floyd Mayweather, Jr. - and it's a side that those who know him best - wish the world would get to know, too.

There is probably no one that knows the 32-year-old Mayweather better than his most trusted confidant, Leonard Ellerbe. It is Ellerbe that serves as Mayweather's right-hand man, the CEO of Mayweather's burgeoning business empire and the man that, in Ellerbe's words, “takes care of business outside the ring, so that Floyd can take care of business inside it.”

Ellerbe has known Mayweather for a long time, since back in the days when Floyd's uncle, Roger, trained Ellerbe on the finer points of the sweet science. He was introduced to Floyd before there was any “Money” and before the young virtuoso went on to win boxing championships in five weight divisions, blaze to an undefeated record of 39-0, 25 KOs and become universally regarded as the top pound-for-pound boxer on the planet.

So Ellerbe, who is very passionate about all things Mayweather, sometimes becomes disturbed when he reads and hears things about his friend that don't tell the rest of the story.

“He never gets the credit for his philanthropy , he never gets the credit for that,” Ellerbe said via phone from Las Vegas this week. “There's a perception out there, with him promoting his events, which is just him basically doing his job, and the media gets it mixed-up with who he is as a person. It's a totally false perception that's out there.”

Ellerbe says that, “Floyd has such a big heart” and he wishes more people could see past the wads of rolled up one-hundred dollar bills that stuff Floyd's pockets like the packs on a mule's back. That way they could see the difference between Floyd the public entertainer - and Floyd the private person.

“My challenge has been to change the perception of him from just this mad man, running wild, throwing money up into the air,” explains Ellerbe. “People need to understand that's just a form of entertainment and that's just him doing his job.”

Ellerebe attempts to drive home the point that the Mayweather most people don't know about, is the man that gives to those that are now in a place where he once was. It's a side of the boxer that few see, few know and that most don't care to learn more about. The side that is glitzy and outlandish and entertaining is the man the public have seen on stints with 'Dancing with the Stars' or on World Wrestling Entertainment. It's the man they have watched on the HBO 24/7 series and the man they have seen throwing money into the air like confetti at a wedding.

But Ellerbe says what he sees everyday is the compassion that Mayweather has for those that are less fortunate or those that are going through a rough time in their lives. It's the Mayweather that has serious thoughts of one-day opening a homeless shelter in Las Vegas and the Mayweather that thinks about the people who live just miles away from him that don't get enough to eat.

“That’s just one example of what a tremendous heart that he has,” says Ellerbe. “When people see him on 24/7, that's just entertainment, that’s not the Floyd Mayweather that I know. He’s a great father, he’s a great humanitarian. God has truly blessed him and Floyd understands what that's all about. He knows that he's been put in a great position, with great responsibility, to be able to help other people.”

Last year, Mayweather donated over a quarter million dollars of his own money in order to prevent the National Golden Gloves amateur boxing championships held in Grand Rapids from being canceled altogether.

“At the Golden Gloves, over 300 kids were able to participate and pursue their dreams of becoming a pro boxer – of going to the next level,” Ellerbe points out. “Floyd's reason for doing that is because he came through that same type of program. He’s a five-time national amateur champ and he understands those are the steps needed to become a pro. He used all of his own money and the kids really had a wonderful time. It was great event put on in his hometown.”

Last Friday in Las Vegas, a kindler, gentler Mayweather took time from training for his Sept. 19th fight against Juan Manuel Marquez to speak with a group of teenagers from the Nevada Partnership for Homeless Youth at their safe place drop-in center. A calm Mayweather was received by the teens with a great deal of excitement. For them, it was a once in a lifetime chance to meet a genuine world champ and celebrity and a chance to hear from Mayweather that life can be what they make of it.

The teens, who attend the NPHY life skills program once a week, were touched by Mayweather's message and were able to relate to the champ's own struggles in life.

“Today was one of the most inspirational days of my life,” said Breanna Watkins, age 18. “It's not easy to keep your head up and push through the storm, but after today, I realize that no matter how much you struggle, it's possible to make it out on top. I really appreciate that Floyd Mayweather and his team took the time out of their schedules to give us words of encouragement.”

Mayweather employs 23 people in Las Vegas, and a couple of more in other cities. Ellerbe notes that his staff consists of people that are not just African Americans, but people of all colors, creed and ethnic origin. Together they work to increase global recognition of what Ellerbe calls the “Mayweather brand” and they also help Floyd bring his humanitarian ideas to life.

“His vision is he wants to give back in any way that he can to his community,” Ellerbe explains. “So we take it from there and I take it upon myself to do these things and make them happen. We are using boxing as a platform to do things that no boxer, except Oscar De La Hoya, has ever done before. Over a period of time we have worked not only in Grand Rapids to fund sports and youth programs, but we have a number of charity events. We have our annual Thanksgiving food giveaways, we have toy drives at Christmas. These are the kinds of things you don’t hear the press write about.”

Certainly in the past couple of years, the image of Mayweather has begun to change. While there are still times that he can appear to be surly, most notably in recent interviews with Brian Kenny of ESPN, there have been more frequent occasions when he is the picture of gentlemanly manners.

“Floyd has developed a persona and people get the two confused,” explains Ellerbe. “He's the biggest star in all of boxing, but that’s his job. On the other hand, he has a tremendous heart and he's given a number people a number of opportunities over the past thirteen years. There are people in his inner circle, people that have had some things happen in the past that wouldn’t allow them the chance to work in corporate America. But Floyd is the type of guy that will give people like that an opportunity. He’s given people opportunities that have really messed up their lives in their past. In any other situation, they can't even get a job, but he exposes them to a livelihood that many people never in their lifetime would ever have a chance to be part of. I mean, with him, they get to make a good income and they get to travel all over the world.”

In a world driven by the 24-hour news cycle, a world where sensationalism rules the day, the lines between perception and reality and news and entertainment have become horribly blurred. Ellerbe's mission then, to separate Mayweather the entertainer - from Mayweather the person - would seem like an impossible task. He knows a Floyd Mayweather that few do and it perplexes him to no end that the rest of us can't see what he does.

“His heart is just so big and Floyd never, ever gets the credit for the kinds of things he does,” Ellerbe says. “The mainstream press just wants to talk about the flash and the flamboyance and not how he’s made a difference in so many kids' lives. They don't see a guy who has worked hard his whole life. They don't see a kid who dropped out of high school to pursue his dream to take his family out of poverty and then turned around and has helped so many kids in so many communities.”

And then as Leonard Ellerbe spoke, he seemed to come to the realization that all the work he is doing down here, the work to change the perception of his best friend, might just be paying off after all. For even if he is able to convince every person that doubts Mayweather's good intentions, there is one that doesn't need to be convinced.

“God understands where Floyd's heart is,” Ellerbe says. “And that's why he continually blesses him.”

Feb 23, 2006
hopkins should fight roy jones jr they both old they hate each other.... i know they will give it every thing they got. i would pay for that. james toney is done klistchos would fuck him up

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
^^agreed. The only way I see Hopkins taking the Jones fight is if Jones beats Danny Green next (that IS his next opponent) and Hopkins were to fight & beat Adamek. Both Jones & Hopkins would own a belt at Cruiserweight which would actually make the fight relevant and not just for bragging rights.

Also, Paul Williams responded to Golden Boy today and he said he's willing to fight Hopkins at 165, but not 170. Which leaves me to believe he really doesn't want the fight because in the past he said he'd fight ANYONE as high as 168 now he's saying 165. Hopkins cant make 165 he's a few months away from being 45 years old, doesn't sound like Paul wants it.

Jul 24, 2005
Roy Jones Statement & Bernard Hopkins

Roy “Captain Hook” Jones Jr., fresh off Saturday night’s dismantling of Jeff “Left Hook” Lacy in Biloxi, MS, is sending notice to all boxing pundits. “I showed on Saturday night against Jeff Lacy that I have the best hook in the business,” said Jones. “And I am the only one that can throw either one of those hooks 5 or 6 at a time. No one can match that. I would like for someone to show me who can throw those combinations, OR who has quicker hands. I don’t see it. Anything a great boxer needs, I have it. Skill for skill, I am the best.”

“As far as the pound-for-pound best goes, they’ve got it all messed up. It’s not supposed to be a fashion show, but it has turned into that. Pound-for-pound is about being the best boxer – effective speed, combinations and power. I can show them anything they need to see at any time..”

“Manny Pacquiao is at the top of the list and is a great fighter, but even he has not displayed a better hook. Bernard Hopkins can’t throw three or four hooks at one time and he is not as entertaining to watch than I am right now. The Roy Jones that was in the ring on Saturday night, no one could beat. Roy Jones is back!”

Jones played to the fans on Saturday night and at one point was working Lacy in the neutral corner when a fan yelled out “Roy, knock him out - right on top of the Square Ring logo.” Jones looked at the fan, took a step back and connected on a five-punch combination that had Lacy out on his feet and darned near went down right on the logo.

In other news, Bernard Hopkins was on the Calvin Murphy radio show last night and an associate of Jones got hold of Roy so he called in to join the conversation that soon turned into a fight negotiation. Jones came to the conclusion that “Bernard is scared,” and here are some highlights…

Bernard Hopkins: Money has been the issue for the past ten years with us.

Roy Jones: How much will you give me

BH: I will make it a 60:40 split

RJ: How about 60 to the winner and 40 to the loser

BH: Now you want to make a contest out of it. I don’t need Roy Jones. It could wind up in the judges hands and you never know what will happen.

RJ: You pick the judges.

BH: If RJ will take 40, we can get it done before the year is out. But if not…

RJ: He already has an L on his record from me and he is trying to make me take 40 so he can prove that I am the lesser man. But if will make it 60 to the winner and 40 to the loser I will take my chances with that.

BH: Do you think I would make more money fighting Roy Jones than I would a young stud like Adamek or Dawson?

RJ: Bernard doesn’t want to fight me. Why would he want to fight me? He’s having fun now at this point in his career. He doesn’t want to take that gamble.

BH: Is Roy willing to go on record to take 40% win, lose or draw?
Show Producer: How about the winner-take-all?

RJ: That’s even better for me.

Show Producer: Bernard are you there?

RJ: No. When you said winner-take-all you ran him off the phone. He’s been doing that to me for 5 years now. He disappeared. That’s what happens to me. every time.

Jul 24, 2005
Andre Berto Responds to Ochocinco’s Challenge

HOUSTON, TEXAS) – A war of words between WBC Welterweight World Champion Andre Berto (Winter Haven, Fla.) and Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Ochocinco on Twitter hit new levels on Thursday following the Bengals’ victory over the New England Patriots as Ochocinco told the media that he plans to fight Berto following the football season. “So when I get in the ring and knock out Berto, and people are like ‘I didn’t know Chad could fight, I just told you,’” Ochocinco told the Sporting News..

Berto is ready to take on Ochocinco’s challenge and had these remarks upon reading about his post-game comments. “Ochocinco has been talking about fighting me for awhile now,” Berto said. “Now that he is talking publicly, I’m ready to get this thing going. When his football season is over, which should be before the playoffs start, I’ll give him the beating of his life. I’ll show him the difference between kicking footballs and getting his butt kicked. “

“By the time I am done with him, he’ll want to change his name to No Mas,” Berto added. “If he’s serious, I’ll give him the business. But if you ask me, he should worry about making sure he scores more points as a wide receiver than a kicker.”

Ochocinco and Berto have been discussing their potential match-up on Twitter for over two weeks. Follow Berto on Twitter at www.twitter.com/andreberto to get additional updates on the potential match-up between one of the NFL’s top wide receivers and the undefeated welterweight champion

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao-Cotto: WBC Approves Diamond Belt Bout

By Jose Sulaiman

“The WBC Board of Governors has approved by a unanimous vote that the Manny Pacquiao-Miguel Cotto fight, promoted by Bob Arum’s Top Rank, Inc. on November 14 in Las Vegas, will be the first ever for the prestigious WBC Diamond Belt.

“The Diamond Belt was created as an honorary championship exclusively for fights between elite boxers, and Manny Pacqiuao, a three-time WBC world champion in three different weight divisions, and Miguel Cotto, a former WBC International champion, are unquestionably qualified as two of the best boxers of today. The belt is handcrafted by an artisan in Mexico City with 18 carat gold fusion and has about 800 diamonds, emeralds and rubies, as well as 150 Swarovsky semiprecious stones.

“The Diamond Belt has received a tremendous positive response from promoters and media around the world, and we at the WBC are very excited and proud that this important and historic fight will be the first for the Diamond Belt. The WBC will not charge a sanction fee on this extraordinary occasion

Jul 24, 2005
Frank Warren: "Roy Jones and Jeff Lacy are Both Shot

By Mark Vester

There were some who were impressed with the recent performance of Roy Jones Jr. Last weekend, Jones broke down, dominated and stopped former super middleweight champion Jeff Lacy. Some people said Jones appeared to be the same Roy Jones who dominated his opponents. Promoter Frank Warren says the people who think Jones looked like the "old Roy" - are delusional. He says Jones, and Jeff Lacy, are both shot fighters who need to retire.

"A small crowd watched Roy Jones Jnr stop Jeff Lacy at the weekend and some claimed Jones looked like his old self. These people are delusional - both fighters are shot and should pack it in," Warren said.

With the exception of his final fight, Warren was the promoter for Joe Calzaghe. Calzaghe dominated both Lacy and Jones. Warren and Calzaghe parted ways before the Welsh fighter came to New York last November to beat Jones. Calzaghe would retire from boxing a few months later

Jul 24, 2005
Valuev: "David Haye Will Have To Answer With His Fists"

By Andrey Krikunov

WBA heavyweight champion Nikolay Valuev continues his training camp for the bout with Briton David Haye, and at the same time trying to answer all the verbal attacks from his caustic opponent.

Valuev-Haye fight is set to take place on November, 7. The Russian boxer, 35, assures that he is already 30 percent prepared. He even used a pool metaphor to explain his progress.

“If we compare preparation process with a 100-meter swimming pool, I can say that I have already got over 30 meters, - said Valuev to Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper. – I plan to reach my top form in November”.

Valuev also commented on Haye’s desire to knock him out – a goal which till now remained unreachable for his opponents.

“He’s not the first one who wanted to do it, - reacted the Russian giant. – Many opponents threatened to knock me out, they tried and wanted it so badly, but they all failed," Valuev said.

"Haye just likes to make a flashy show in American style out of his training camp – “cuts” his opponent's neck with the edge of his palm or threatens and intimidates with words. I even called him David Boor because he talks so much. He’s a smart guy outside the ring, but inside he’ll have to answer with his fists, not his tongue. Then we’ll see how well he is prepared."

>>>

Jul 24, 2005
Vitali Klitschko Sees The Fear in David Haye

By Mark Vester

WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko is not buying any of David Haye's stories. He doesn't believe the British fighter was injured when he pulled out of his June bout with younger brother Wladimir Klitschko. Haye also withdrew from a September bout with Vitali - and the older Klitschko doesn't believe any of Haye's reasons for doing so. Vitali is convinced that Haye is running scared and wants to avoid facing either Klitschko at all costs.

"Haye is scared. In my personal opinion, he is not serious and it's not good for boxing," Vitali said. "I don't believe he had an injury. It was an excuse and he didn't understand the contract we signed with him."

Haye kicked Vitali aside to sign a deal to face WBA champion Nikolai Valuev on November 7. Vitali says Haye signed a deal to fight Valuev because the British fighter saw that as his best chance to win a heavyweight title.

"My personal opinion is he sees Valuev as his best chance of becoming world champion," Vitali said