Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Clinton Woods Comes Out To Defend Junior Witter

By Terence Dooley

Clinton Woods took time out of training for his IBF light-heavyweight showdown with Tavoris Cloud to offer a few words of comfort to Junior Witter. Clinton, 37, watched with dismay as Witter quit in the corner during his make-or-break fight with Devon Alexander, the performance has left Witter in no-mans land; however, Clinton told the South Yorkshire Star that Junior has not had any lucky breaks during the course of his boxing career.

“At the end of the day, he is a professional boxer, and I know he trains hard and he's been at it a long time,” stressed Woods. “Over his career, he has never really got the big fights. If you look at my career, I have had some big fights in England defending my titles. I have been to America and had good paydays. Antonio Tarver is a massive name, I fought Roy Jones Jnr at his peak, Glen Johnson, they are all big names. Junior really hasn't had that luck.”

Woods will be hoping that he is due some luck of his own; he is taking on Cloud in Tallahassee, Florida, and will have to produce a big performance to defeat the highly touted American fighter

Jul 24, 2005
Miguel Cotto Says: "I Am Not Felix Trinidad

Posted by: Mark Vester on 08-11-2009.

By Mark Vester

WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto has spoken out against some of critics who continue to compare him to another Puerto Rican great, Felix "Tito" Trinidad. Cotto wants to make it clear, for the last time, that he is not Trinidad in any way - inside or outside of the ring.

Some people have been critical of Cotto for not being a fan-friendly fighter on the streets - like Trinidad. Cotto likes to keep to himself and doesn't like the limelight, like Trinidad.

"You can not compare the way I am with Felix Trinidad. I am not him. Tito came to a place and greeted everyone and was very well liked. But, I am one of those guys who comes and and greets everyone. I get to a site and the less people who know me, the better I feel," Cotto told El Nuevo Dia. "I have always been accessible to the press in Puerto Rico."

"I'm not Felix Trinidad. Miguel Cotto is Miguel Cotto. I'm not going to change. If I were participating in a beauty contest, I should be waving and smiling all day. But I'm a boxer."

Miguel Cotto Sr. jumped to his son's defense.

"Your personality is your personality. People have to understand that, but they can not. People prefer to see Miguel laughing and talking to them, but he is not Tito," Cotto Sr. said. "That's his personality. If you want to see Miguel Cotto laughing, then tell him a good joke."

Cotto returns on November 14 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas against Manny Pacquiao.

Send News Tips and Comments To Mark Vester @ [email protected]

>>>Click Here For Tons of More Breaking Boxing News, Articles and Insider Information<<<

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jul 24, 2005
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr-Saul Alvarez Rivalry Builds

By Mark Vester

A rivalry is starting to build in Mexico between two undefeated contenders, junior middleweight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (39-0, 29KOs) and welterweight Saul Alvarez (28-0, 21KOs). Alvarez believes that Chavez has risen in the ranks on the back of his legendary name and not for his accomplishments in the ring. Alvarez would love the chance to fight Chavez.

"He's had a good career and he's a good fighter. There has been a lot of talk about a fight between us and if they can make [the fight], then let's do it. I saw some of his fights on TV. He rose up fast because of his father's name, and I've made a career with hard work. I think people realize that when they see me fight. His promoters turned his amateur career into a pro career. I can't deny that I would like to fight him but I am also thinking about bigger things and my plan is to keep growing and growing," Alvarez said to The Record.

Chavez Jr. is not too impressed with Alvarez of his comments.

"He is a good fighter, very young. I think he talks about me sometimes. They told me that he wants to fight me. I do not like to talk a lot. He looks strong, and I think, as I said before, that he is a good fighter, but nothing exceptional. This is evident in the ring. He hasn't fought anyone. I was fortunate that my dad was Julio Cesar Chavez. But at the end I'm still the one who is fighting for the opportunity," Chavez Jr. said.

Alvarez returns on September 15 in Mexico and faces Carlos Leonardo Herrera on the undercard to Edgar Sosa's defense against Omar Soto. Chavez returns on September 12 in Mexico on the Latin Fury 11 card against Jason LeHoullier.

Jul 24, 2005
Wladimir Klitschko vs Chambers is Next,

By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com was advised by several sources that Wladimir Klitschko is going to make his WBO mandatory defense against Eddie Chambers next.

Klitschko has two mandatories due. Most had anticipated that a title defense against IBF mandatory Alexander Povetkin would come first.

While the exact reason for the switch wasn't disclosed, one source told me there was more pressure on Klitschko to meet the obligation to Chambers because the WBO gave a shorter deadline to complete their mandatory.

Chambers upset previously unbeaten Alexander Dimitrenko to earn the shot. Povetkin is going to take another fight before a Klitschko meeting. BoxingScene has heard the date of December 12 being thrown around for Klitschko-Chambers.

Jul 24, 2005
Wladimir Klitschko-Eddie Chambers Close To Being Signed For December 12th

by James Slater - It seems both Klitschko brothers, Vitali and Wladimir, will be in action against top US talent before the year is out. WBC king Vitali's September fight with unbeaten Mexican/American Chris "The Nightmare" Arreola is signed and a definite go, and now, according to Philly.com, IBF and WBO ruler Wladimir will face another Goossen Tutor-promoted fight in Eddie Chambers in December.

The second fight involving a Klitschko is not a done deal yet, but according to Philly.com, "Fast" Eddie's promoter Dan Goossen said yesterday that if all negotiations are "nailed down" the two men will fight at the end of the year, most likely December 12th, and most likely in Germany and on HBO. This, naturally, is great news for Chambers. Coming off his most impressive win to date - when he travelled to Germany to totally outclass and outwork the huge and previously unbeaten Alexander Dimitrenko - the once-beaten 27-year-old is in the best condition of his entire life and his he chomping at the bit to get at Wladimir - or any recognised world heavyweight champion for that matter..

"I've been thinking about this happening for - you don't want to know how long," Chambers told Philly.com yesterday. "I've worked really hard to get here. Now all I need to do is cash in."

With Klitschko's IBF mandatory challenger Alexander Povetkin (the only man to have beaten Chambers, of course) opting to listen to his new trainer Teddy Atlas and take one more fight before going into his earned shot at "Dr. Steel Hammer," Wladimir is free to face his WBO mandatory, Chambers. It seems then, that the 35-1(18) contender from Philly is close to getting the chance to achieve his lifelong dream. But can the approx 208-pound, 6'1" Chambers beat the approx 245-pound, 6'7" Klitschko?

Chambers proved against Dimitrenko that he can handle the biggest of guys, and even though Dimitrenko is no Wladimir Klitschko, the win can only serve as a huge confidence boost for the new and improved, svelte version of Chambers.

Eddie's trainer and manager, Rob Murray Senior, certainly feels his fighter can handle Wladimir's size and strength.

"Eddie has no fear of fighting big guys," he told Philly.com. "In a way Dimitrenko was the perfect guy to fight before we fight Klitschko. He [Dimitrenko] may even be more athletic than Klitschko."

There are indeed some interesting and exciting times ahead for the heavyweight division once again. In yet more news, Goossen told the website that should both Arreola and then Chambers both win this year, the two Americans would eventually meet up in a huge unification clash. How's that for something to get excited about!

Jul 24, 2005
Hopkins or Jones Jr, Who will leave the Stronger Legacy

By John Brady - It’s one of the most interesting debates in boxing. Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr. Two old rivals, two COMPLETELY different styles who will both be inducted into the hall of fame the second they are each eligible. So who will go down as the better fighter?

On May 22, 1993 Roy Jones outpointed Bernard Hopkins by three unanimous scores of 116-112. On this night however, Roy was LIGHT YEARS ahead of Bernard when it came to the experience factor. On fight night Jones had already experienced over a hundred and twenty amateur fights, numerous golden glove tournaments, and fighting overseas. Not to mention he also experienced painful defeat in the famous 1988 Olympics where he was flat out robbed of a gold medal at age 19. Roy also had the benefit of quality sparring partners in his amateur days including the likes of Sugar Ray Leonard..

While Jones was honing his skills fighting in the Olympics and winning amateur tournaments nationwide throughout the eighties, Bernard Hopkins was spending the better part of the decade sitting in Graterford State Penitentiary. It was when Hopkins was sitting in jail that he decided to take up boxing. Not exactly the world class training, sparring partners, and opponents that his old friend Roy was receiving at the time.

After being released in 1988 Bernard immediately turned pro losing his debut to a man named Clinton Mitchell who would only fight a total of five times in his entire career. It turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to Hopkins because it made him realize that he was in with the big boys now. If he was going to step up in class to become a champion, and beat fighters with Roy Jones-like experience, he would have to have a do or die attitude. He wouldn’t get many chances and he knew it. That loss caused Hopkins to take a year and a half off from boxing to clear his head and make 100% sure that this was the route he would take. Upon returning, he would then go on to win twenty consecutive fights before meeting Jones that night in May for the IBF middleweight title.

In my opinion that fight was good for both men. It was a quality win for Jones against a good up and coming fighter who obviously didn’t possess his skills but was the best opponent he would have fought up until that point. It was also a quality loss for Hopkins because he was still a very green fighter, only five years removed from prison and going twelve quality rounds with the future pound for pound king had to be a great learning experience. The fight in 93 proved that Roy was the more experienced fighter AT THAT TIME. And we all know that Roy Jones and Bernard Hopkins have both done a WHOLE LOT more for their respective careers since they clashed in the early nineties. Unfortunately one thing they couldn’t do in the past 16 years was agree to a purse split for a rematch. That’s what happens when you’re dealing with two of the biggest egos in boxing. Although something tells me it absolutely would have happened the last time around had Jones beat Calzaghe in November, but that’s neither here nor there. It’s never going to happen and that’s that. So back to my original question, who goes down as the better fighter?

After beating Hopkins, Jones would then move up the weight classes with ease eventually becoming the first fighter in over 100 years to go from middleweight titleholder to heavyweight titleholder. Along the way he would record quality wins over James Toney who was one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world at that time, Virgil Hill who Jones was the first one to knockout (with a body shot I might add), and Montell Griffin who Jones suffered his first loss to by disqualification but set the record straight with a first round pummeling. Roy eventually climbed all the way up to heavyweight where he would meet WBA champion John Ruiz in March of 2003. Roy coasted his way to a unanimous decision victory and was now on top of the boxing world. He was the clear cut pound for pound king. But apparently Jones climbed too many weight classes. His options were running out. It was either stay at heavyweight and be forced to fight the likes of Lennox Lewis and/or Mike Tyson which most would view as suicide. Or option two; move back down to Light Heavyweight and face long time nemesis Antonio Tarver who Roy had already been accused of ducking in the past. Jones chose option two and watching him in the Ruiz fight compared to the first Tarver fight which was only eight months later, it looked like he had aged eight YEARS instead of months. Roy wound up squeaking out a decision in what turned out to be his last meaningful victory and this in my opinion is where he should have retired. Roy would then go on to suffer his first knockout in the rematch and his second KO to Glen Johnson. Tarver would dominate Jones in the third meeting, and then Roy would eventually get back on the winning track with journeymen and blown up, over the hill welterweights. He did have one meaningful fight in the midst of his “comeback” against Calzaghe where he reminded all of us how old he is. However during Roy’s prime which started right about when he fought Bernard and lasted up until the first Ruiz fight at Heavyweight, he was a very special fighter that does NOT come along very often. The problem was he fought strictly on his reflexes and his god given speed but once that started to wear down with age, he became human. His legacy however, will never be forgotten.

After the loss to Jones, Hopkins kept his head up high. He was like a sponge soaking up all the knowledge around him about the sweet science that he could. He was already a gym rat so the physical conditioning wasn’t a problem. He was now learning about shady promoters, fighting overseas, adapting to different styles etc. Bernard unlike Roy revolves his fighting style around strategy and planning which he’s one of the best at by the way. He was also never all that concerned with “providing entertainment” as Roy was. This, combined with his amazing work ethic has lead to him not taking much punishment throughout his career or even being in much trouble for that matter. This has resulted in Bernard’s fighting career aging like a fine wine. It got better with age. As a matter of fact the better part of Bernard’s career didn’t even begin until the Trinidad fight when he was 36 years old. When Roy was 36 he had already been KO’d twice and almost everyone was begging him to retire. Bernard defended his middleweight title a record twenty times before dropping a controversial decision to Jermain Taylor. Jermain then took care of business in the rematch as well in a close fight but much more convincing then the first. Bernard’s middleweight run was over. He had defeated the likes of Glen Johnson, Oscar DeLaHoya, and Felix Trinidad along the way. He was 40, he made a ton of money, put his name in the record books, and now he was facing two consecutive defeats. Most fighters would have called it a career. Hopkins was just getting started. After the Taylor fights, he immediately moved up two weight classes to take on the best Light Heavyweight in the world, former Roy Jones conqueror Antonio Tarver. Hopkins would dominate Tarver to take the Light Heavyweight crown. Bernard would then take on a man in Winky Wright who had an impossible style to figure out and was one of the most avoided fighters in the business. Hopkins would again win unanimously. Then came another controversial loss for Hopkins at the hands of Joe Calzaghe. I think Bernard ruined any chances he would have had for a rematch by telling Joe before the fight that he would “never lose to a white boy”.

Hopkins begged for a Calzaghe rematch after Joe disposed of Roy Jones but never got one. So what does he do? Well, what does Hopkins always do after a loss, he shakes it off goes out and redeems himself by shocking the boxing world again. After the Calzaghe loss, Hopkins would take on undefeated middleweight knockout artist Kelly Pavlik. With the whole world writing him off, Bernard would go out and give Kelly a 12 round clinic while making 43 look like 23. This would be his last fight to date and he is now talking about taking on the winner of the Dawson-Johnson rematch on November 7th. I can only imagine what a victory over the winner of that fight will do for his legacy.

Both fighters are phenomenal in their own way. Roy was a physical freak, while Bernard was and still is a mental freak. (And I mean that in a good way.) Roy Jones’ legacy is intact and is not going anywhere but he stopped adding to that legacy after the first Tarver fight. Roy is fighting the likes of Prince Badi Ajamu, Anthony Hanshaw, Omar Sheika, and Jeff Lacy while Bernard is still fighting world class opposition like Tarver, Winky Wright, Joe Calzaghe, and Kelly Pavlik. Granted Roy Jones fought Joe Calzaghe too, but I think we all saw the difference there.

Look, Roy wants to keep fighting and that’s fine. I’m not one to tell somebody how to earn a living but the bottom line is this; the Roy Jones that we’re seeing today is NOT the Roy Jones that we came to know and love, and the Bernard Hopkins that we saw on May 22nd 1993 is NOT the Bernard Hopkins that we came to know and love. Did they both fight at one point? Yes. Were they both at the top of their games when they did? Absolutely not. Both of these men are two special fighters that we all had the privilege of witnessing throughout their careers and still are to an extent. Few questions though, Roy 100% in his prime versus Bernard 100% in his prime, who wins? And also who goes down as the better fighter? Who leaves us with

Jul 24, 2005
Bute vs Andrade on HBO &quot;Boxing After Dark

I'm thrilled to be partnering with Interbox and HBO on this exciting rematch between two of the top super middleweights in the world," said Oscar de la Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions. "We wanted to make sure we could offer this fight to both the Canadian and American boxing fans and everyone should expect fireworks on November 28th."

"It's an honour for us to welcome HBO to Canada for the first time in over 30 years, said InterBox CEO Jean Bedard. "We look forward to collaborating with one of the greatest US Television networks. This will be a great opportunity for Lucian to get the highest visibility possible in his sport and to showcase all his skills to prove he's a World class Champion."

"We're excited to do our first ever "Boxing After Dark" from Canada," said Luis Barragan, director of programming, HBO Sports. "The Canadian crowd generated a tremendous atmosphere for the first fight and there's obviously some unfinished business between these two fighters so we expect great boxing action."

The first time the IBF World Super Middleweight Champion, Bute (24-0-0, 19 KO's) and IBF number one ranked super middleweight contender, Andrade (28-2-0, 21 KO's) met in the ring, a war ensued, leaving Bute the winner of a controversial decision. Now, with the rematch scheduled, each hopes to leave everything in the ring on November 28th to settle fans curiosities over who is the true champion.

Jul 24, 2005
Team Paul Williams: “We Will Test Pavlik’s China Chin”

By Rick Reeno

Ask and you shall receive. Paul “The Punisher” Williams finally got his wish. On October 3, he makes his return to the middleweight division to challenge the number one fighter at the weight, WBC/WBO champion Kelly “The Ghost” Pavlik. The Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City will play host, and HBO will televise the action.

BoxingScene.com received a call from a very happy George Peterson, the manager/trainer of Williams. Pavlik is going to be the biggest, and strongest, fighter that Williams has ever faced in the ring. Peterson told BoxingScene that several options were on the table but they viewed Pavlik, despite the physical advantages, as the easiest fight on their list.

“You are right. He never fought anyone that big. He’s the smaller man, no doubt about that. But, that doesn’t frighten us because we know what we are doing. We are going to make that height and weight advantage work against him. He’s just a basic fighter. You don’t have to prepare for anything specific to fight him,” Peterson said.

“We had a few choices to fight but we chose to fight this guy because he was the easiest guy for us. The guy is a robot. The guy is programmed. He is going to come out and do the same thing, nothing different. He is like Frankenstein; he will take those steps and punch and take those steps and punch. This fight is long overdue.”

People are expecting fireworks in this fight and fireworks they will get. The strategy for Williams, according to Peterson, is to stand his ground and take the fight directly to Pavlik. Peterson has a theory that Pavlik is one of those punchers who can dish it out, but can’t withstand the return fire.

“He won’t have to find us because Paul will step right to him and rock him. His chin is made in china. Paul will stand right in front of this joker and bang him right out. We are fighting a ghost that you can see. We thought a ghost was invisible but we have one here that we can see and we are going to spank that butt. They call him “The Ghost” but what do you do when you have a problem with a ghost - you call Ghostbusters,” Peterson said.

“Pavlik is taller, bigger and punches harder but he has to find something to punch. When will he have time to punch when 125 punches are coming at him in every round? All of those guys who can punch, they can’t take it. You have to be able to pitch and catch. We want to see how good he can catch. How well can he catch? How good is his chin? I know he can pitch but can he catch? Paul is going to test that chin.”

A very hard training camp begins today. Peterson doesn’t see the weight playing a role in the fight. Williams is coming off a dominating performance over Winky Wright, at middleweight. Peterson expects the same kind of performance on October 3.

“Rick, it’s going to be a war like you said. Ill tell you one thing, we are going to spank that butt. We are going to start training today and Paul can’t wait. I haven’t seen him this excited in eleven years. Like Ghostbusters, we ain’t afraid of no ghost,” Peterson said.

Jul 24, 2005
WBC Sanctions Dawson-Johnson II for Interim Title

Chad is thrilled that the WBC has sanctioned this fight as it gets him one step closer to regaining the first world title he ever won and even closer to unifying the titles which has always been the goal of both fighters," said Shaw. "We are grateful to the WBC for seeing the value and the importance of the Dawson-Johnson rematch to the fans and to the division."

The world title rematch pits Dawson, the light heavyweight division’s kingpin, defending his world championship belt against Johnson, the man who gave him the stiffest test and closest shave of his career. In their first battle, which took place in April 2008, the two squared off with Dawson’s WBC light heavyweight title on the line. Dawson came away with a hard-earned unanimous decision, but the entire boxing world was left clamoring for more from these world-class fighters.

Since their first rumble, Dawson has only raised his profile with two nationally televised victories over former undisputed champion Antonio Tarver. Johnson has also kept a high profile, stopping Aaron Norwood in four rounds, and then avenging a highly controversial draw with Daniel Judah by winning a clear-cut unanimous decision in February.

Dawson (28-0, 17 KOs), from New Haven, Conn., serving his second term as light heavyweight champion, successfully defended the International Boxing Federation (IBF) and International Boxing Organization (IBO) titles on May 9 in a rematch against former world champion Tarver, whom he dethroned last October. Dawson won his first world title in 2007 with a dominating performance over undefeated defending WBC champion Tomasz Adamek. It remains Adamek's sole professional loss. Dawson successfully defended the WBC title three times, including a close and very competitive victory over Johnson, before vacating that title to challenge Tarver. Dawson, unable to get an exception from the IBF for his mandatory title defense, vacated his IBF title in order to make the Johnson rematch, which will also be for his IBO championship.

Jul 24, 2005
James Toney Scheduled To Return Vs. Matthew Greer In September

by James Slater - James "Lights Out" Toney is still not done yet. Not quite anyway. Though he turns 41 later this month (August 24th) and though he has looked poor in three of his last four fights (he looked okay in his rematch with Hasim Rahman back in July of last year) Toney is set to carry on punching for pay for a while longer yet. Next up for the former middleweight, super-middleweight and cruiserweight ruler is a fight with journeyman heavyweight Matthew Greer.

Set to face the 32-year-old known as "Gator" on the same September 12th show in Temecula, CA that will see unbeaten super-middleweight contender Andre Ward up against Shelby Pudwill, Toney will be having his first fight this year.. Last time out, back in December and against Fres Oquendo, Toney looked a faded force who was lucky to have been given the split decision. What Toney has been doing since what was his 71st victory (with six losses and three draws) we don't know. Has Toney been training? Has he kept his weight under at least reasonable control? We don't know.

Still, unless he's gone back even further than he appeared to have done against Oquendo, Toney should be able to handle club fighter Greer, 12-5(11) easily enough. This is not to say Greer is not tough - anyone who saw his last fight, a gutsy points loss to fringe contender Brian Minto, knows he is a brave and game fighter. But unless his skills have eroded beyond all recognition, "Lights Out" will surely win a pretty wide decision next month. A KO win for Toney may not come off - after all, Toney has not stopped anyone since he TKO'd Evander Holyfield way back in 2003 - but he should have enough left to win the ten-rounder.

How much desire Toney has left is another question. Will this latest return be the first fight in what the veteran hopes will be another run at a heavyweight title? Toney is still a big name and if he can get some momentum going and get himself a number of wins, who knows? If he has got something left and if the laboured win over Oquendo late last year was simply a bad night, there are a few name heavyweights that Toney would have a good shot at beating. The aforementioned Minto, for example, would likely enter a fight with Toney as a slight underdog.

Maybe Toney will look at a fight with "The Beast," assuming Minto beats the undefeated Donnell Holmes this Friday night, that is. As with fellow future Hall of Famer Roy Jones Junior, though, it is somewhat sad watching a faded version of Toney trying to continue to do his stuff. Both men can still look good in spurts, but both men could conceivably lose on any given night.

Toney will probably keep defeat and the end of his career at bay on September 12th, but for how long?

Jul 24, 2005
Dzinziruk Dumping Universum For Paul Williams Fallout

By Andrey Krikunov

WBО light middleweight champion Sergiy Dzinziruk is leaving Universum Box Promotion and will seek a new promoter in the United States. This year the champion hasn’t fought even once. At first, his bout with James Kirkland had broken down and now the fight with Paul Williams, which was set to take place on October 3, also isn’t going to happen. The American boxer will take on Kelly Pavlik on the same date.

Dzinziruk blames his German promoters in the fight breakdown and doesn’t want to deal with Universum any longer.

“When I asked Universum executives whether the fight would take place on October 3 for sure, they just nodded, - says Dzinziruk to BoxingScene.com. – “Don’t worry, everything is settled down. Just do your training”, - they told me. So I started my training camp – worked two weeks in my hometown Brovary and then moved to Hamburg. I’d been training for a week in Universum gym and than this news came. I’m still shocked”.

Dzinziruk also told that his contract with Universum expired in 2008 but the company decided to renew it for two more years.

“I consulted my lawyers and they explained that unilateral prolongation of contract is against the law. It’s violation of human rights. If Universum doesn’t let me go, I’ll sue them. In any case I will never again fight under the Universum. I'd rather hang myself than work with Germans again," - claimed the Ukrainian boxer.

Now the champion plans to go to the United States and to look for a new promoter there.

“Two well-known American promotional companies are interested in my services, - told Dzinziruk. - I hope to sign an agreement with one of them and to have my first bout in the US in November-Decemb

Jul 24, 2005
Dawson Prepared To Stun Johnson, Grab WBC Gold

By James Blears

Undefeated Bad Chad Dawson who's clinched the acceptance of the WBC to again fight Glen Johnson, and this time for the Interim WBC title, says he's going to fight a smarter fight.

Accompanied by his Promoter Gary Shaw and his Manager Mike Criscio, Chad met with Don Jose and Mauricio Sulaiman in the WBC Zona Rosa offices, and it was announced that he'll be fighting for the green and gold belt in Connecticut on November 7th.

Chad who was a WBC Youth Middleweight Champion and the WBC's Light Heavyweight Champion, relinquished the crown to fight Antonio Tarver for the IBF title. But now he wants to return to the WBC fold.

He said to BoxingScene.com: "Last time against Glen I fought more of his type of fight, but this time I'm going to use my boxing skills and keep him on the outside, use my speed and my youth. I'm a better fighter and I'm younger. He's got a lot of will but in this fight I'll have more. He's tough, but one dimension. Look at all his fights. He fought Roy Jones, Antonio Tarver and me, the same way. He just keeps coming forward. I'm going to execute my gameplan and I'm going to be victorious. This is the fight which'll open eyes up to the Light Heavyweight Division.

"It'll mean everything to me to win the WBC belt again. When I was young, and saw Mike Tyson holding up the green and gold belt I wanted it, and the opportunity to get it back again after winning it myself, is just great."

Gary Shaw explained to BoxingScene: "We had to give it (The WBC Belt) up. There was a lot at stake to give it. But it was money, and it was my decison and did what I told him he had to do. But coming back is very big.

"In the first fight, to the fans it looked as though Glen was making the fight, but if you break it down, Chad was winning every round and punishing Glen with some real good body and head shots. This time Chad will fight a smarter fight. Chad is still growing. I signed him at 160, but he never fought there, going to 168 and then 175. I believe he could be a heavyweight one day if he wanted. He's got a huge career ahead of him.

"After this fight, I'd like Chad to fight either Roy Jones or Bernard Hopkins. Either one would be a great."

Chad's already got a mini WBC belt to go home with. Don Jose presented him which neatly fits around the wrist, for his six year old son Prince.

Also sitting around the famous glass table supported by the concrete WBC letters, was Sergey Gulyakevitch of Belarus (26-1-0 12 KO's) who's the WBC's number one contender in the Super Featherweight Division plus European Champion, and third ranked Humberto Mauro Gutierrez of Mexico (51-1-1 19 KO's). They're going to fight a final eliminator bout in Los Cabos on August 22nd.

Sergey's Co Manager Philippe Fondu said: "Sergey only lost once in his career due to a cut. He's won against a German in Germany, and an Italian in Italy. So we're very sorry, but he's going to defeat this Mexican opponent in Mexico."

But Gutierrez who's from Sinaloa, which is the home State of Julio Cesar Chavez and Jorge Travieso Arce has an appreciably higher rate of KO notches than the man from the East

Jul 24, 2005
Pavlik's Trainer: "Paul Williams, a Very Dangerous Fight

By Mark Vester

Jack Loew, trainer of WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik, says the October 3 title defense against Paul Williams is a very dangerous fight. This is Pavlik's third defense of the middleweight titles. The first two, against Gary Lockett and Marco Antonio Rubio, were easy. This defense will take Pavlik to the limit.

“People traveling to Atlantic City are going to see a very, very good matchup,” said Loew to The Vindicator of Youngstown. “This is no Gary Lockett fight. This is a legitimate, real fight. It’s going to be a very dangerous fight.”

While many are not giving Williams any credit for his power at middleweight, Loew says the former welterweight champion can punch at the weight and his workrate of throwing 100 or more punches per round is overwhelming to many fighters.

“He’s a good fighter. He throws a bunch of punches and he can punch. Paul Williams has huge balls. I give him all the credit in the world for jumping up in weight. There was nobody for him at 154 pounds and nobody but us at 160," Loew said.

Loew, like many others, is very curious about Williams' ability to take a punch from a legit middleweight banger. Loew knows that Pavlik can take a good punch, but he plans to find out if Williams can.

“I don’t know how he’ll react when he’s in there against a legitimate, big-punching middleweight. He’s never fought that caliber of fighter, while we’ve fought much bigger people than Paul Williams. I think people are going to see a stronger, healthier Kelly Pavlik. He’s going to step up to the plate and take care of business,” Loew said.

Jul 24, 2005
Vivian Harris Badly Hurt By Head Butt In No-Contest Fight With Noe Bolanos

15.08.09 - by James Slater - There were dramatic scenes last night in Tucson, as former WBA light-welterweight champion "Vicious" Vivian Harris was carried from the ring at the conclusion of his fight with Mexico's Noe Bolanos. Badly hurt by an accidental head butt that came in the 2nd-round, Harris collapsed and was so hurt he had to be lifted from the ring by a stretcher.

According to Ring on line, the 30-year-old who was born in Guyana but now lives in Brooklyn, New York, was taken to a nearby hospital so as to undergo observation as a precautionary measure.. Harris collapsed about 90 seconds into the 2nd-round of the fight that was shown live on ESPN, and though he regained his feet after taking a knee as the butt landed, Harris then collapsed as he tried to walk towards his corner.

The word is that Harris is okay, but was badly shaken up by the head clash that resulted in last night's fight being declared a no-contest. However, Ring on line reports that Harris was complaining about head pains whilst in hospital. We all wish him well. The former champion who signed with new promoter Golden Boy recently, and had his first fight with them last night, is now 29-3-1(19).

Bolanos, 20-4-1(11), lost the opening round of the cards of all three ringside judges, yet he appeared to hurt Harris at the end of the 1st round with a number of hard body shots. The Mexican said he himself was not at all hurt by the accidental head butt. The fighter's corner man, Juan Mendoza, went as far as to suggest Harris all but quit last night.

"He just didn't want any more of those body shots," Mendoza said. "He knocked himself out. My boy is just too strong for that dude. That's the bottom line."

Some will see Mendoza's claims as nonsense, obviously. How on earth did Harris, who has ambitions of getting back into the world title picture at 140-pounds, knock himself out!? As all those who saw the fight know, the butt, though purely accidentally, was a bad one.

Perhaps, after he's recovered and watched the tape so as to see for himself what happened (apparently, Harris was heard to ask "What happened?" last night) Harris will look for a rematch with Bolanos. In any case, last night's result was in no way what "Vicious" Vivian was hoping for in his debut for Golden Boy.

Jul 24, 2005
Manny Pacquiao To Have Just Two More Fights After Bout With Cotto?

by James Slater - It seems it could be a case of enjoying the great Manny Pacquiao while we can. The pound-for-pound king and all-time great has said in the past that he may only have a few more fights before calling it quits on a quite sensational career, and now his trainer Freddie Roach, as quoted by ABS CBN News, has said his fighter has told him he will fight just two more times after November's battle with Miguel Cotto..

Of course, "Pac-Man" is speaking from the perspective of him winning on November 14th, for if Manny were to lose in an upset his plans would perhaps alter some. But even if he were to do away with Cotto with some ease, it appears as though we have only a few fights left in which to cherish and appreciate the fighter who has been referred to as a modern day Henry Armstrong.

But - just who will be the two fighters Pacquiao gets it on with as he attempts to further cement his place in boxing history? Two fights isn't many, so it is to be hoped "Pac-Man" makes sure his final two victims, sorry, opponents, are top quality operators; the kind of fighters the fans want to see in there with the Filipino dynamo. I think we know who one of these two fighters is!

Providing he does indeed beat Cotto in his final fight of 2009, and providing the returning Floyd Mayweather Junior gets past Juan Manuel Marquez two months before, fingers will be firmly crossed that the two modern day masters agree terms and give us the super-fight we all want to see in 2010. Simply put, it would be awful if this potentially awesome fight did not take place.

As to Pacquiao's other fight before retiring, if he gets past Mayweather he could pretty much pick who he wanted for a "Farewell" type fight - even more so if he were to beat "Money" decisively (dare I say by a KO!)

It's reasonably safe to assume that Pacquiao will fight out the remainder of his career at either 140 or at a catch-weight poundage of around 143-145, therefore a number of top welterweights will continue to offer to boil down in weight to land a huge money fight with "Pac-Man." Manny is in a position to be able to call the shots, so why shouldn't he do so.

"Sugar" Shane Mosley remains a possibility for Pacquiao's next or last opponent, even though the 37-year-old's efforts at landing the date Cotto now has resulted in zero. Another possibility for Manny could be Marquez, if he upsets Mayweather. We could all stand for a third instalment of Pacquiao-Marquez, that's for sure.

Really, whoever he fights after his anticipated rumble with Cotto, Pacquiao fans the world over will be tuning in. But will the 30-year-old superstar be able to stick with his two-more-fights-after-Cotto plan and really retire? Or will Manny, as has been the case with so many other fighters who had a retirement plan all mapped out, be unable to hang up the gloves when the time comes?

Jul 24, 2005
Jones Junior, Green Both Win By Stoppage - Jones Vs. Green At Cruiserweight Next

James Slater - Both Roy Jones Junior and Danny Green got the job done in some style last night in Biloxi, with the 40-year-old all-time great becoming the first man to stop Jeff Lacy at light-heavyweight and Green taking out Julio Cesar Dominguez up at cruiserweight. It's no secret that the plan now is for the two to get it on before the end of the year, most likely in Green's homeland of Australia.

An interesting bout on paper, will Jones, 54-5(40) be able to win what would be his first ever fight at the 200-pound mark? Or would the 36-year-old former super-middleweight and light-heavyweight belt holder who has never been stopped as a pro prove to be too strong?

Jones, who showed enough of his former skill to impress some people last night, basically battered a younger, but far more faded opponent in "Left Hook" on the way to the stoppage that came after the conclusion of the 10th round. Even more a "shot" fighter than we thought he was, 32-year-old Lacy must surely get out of the game for good now. In truth, the former super-middleweight belt holder has never looked good since his awful drubbing at the hands of Joe Calzaghe, and last night Jones hammered what little there was left of his career into the ground.

Against the much fresher and physically stronger Green, however, a man who can really bang, it could be a different story for the former pound-for-pound king. Green, who hurt Dominguez in the opening round, causing a standing count to be issued, and stopped him in the 5th, showed a good right hand and a nice left jab. The Australian tough guy would go right at Jones should the likely match-up go ahead.

Jones spoke about facing Green, 27-3(24) after he'd taken care of Lacy.

"I'm coming to Australia, baby, you better get ready. G'day mate," Jones said post-fight. "I've got to go down under and get prepared and be in the best shape for him [Green]. He's strong and he's going to be coming at you. I'm looking forward to going down under and taking Danny Green down under."

As for Green, he is a huge fan of Jones, and he was impressed with what he saw from the 40-year-old last night.

"His performance was awesome, " Green said of Jones' win over Lacy. "It's going to be extremely hard [fighting him]. Tonight he proved he's one of the best fighters of all time."

There is little doubt Jones IS one of the best in history, but how much does he have left today? Though dominant, Jones' win over an utterly spent Jeff Lacy failed to tell us.

Jul 24, 2005
Dawson-Johnson "Title" Bout Enrages Jean Pascal’s Agent

By Rick Reeno

When BoxingScene.com broke the news regarding the WBC sanctioning the Chad Dawson-Glen Johnson rematch for the interim-light heavyweight title, one of the first phone calls I received was from well known boxing agent Don Majeski.

Majeski represents WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal. At first, Majeski was in disbelief when he saw the news on BoxingScene but after official press releases began to flood the internet, he knew the was true. Pascal is making the first defense of his title against the mandatory, Silvio Branco, on September 25 in Canada. Majeski told BoxingScene that he [on behalf of Team Pascal] plans to legally oppose any promotion of Dawson-Johnson, scheduled for November 7, as a “WBC title bout.” Majeski says the WBC is creating a situation where there will be two champions at the weight, which may confuse the average fan.

"There is no reason for there to be an interim-champion. It hurts Pascal and his fight with Branco. It hurts our promotion. We already have people calling and asking for refunds, asking if the title is really on the line. They could make it an eliminator and the WBC will still get their sanction and we'll fight the winner of the eliminator. There is no reason for this. Pascal is fighting the mandatory Branco. Why on earth would the WBC make an interim-champion? Chad Dawson gave up the title last year and is not even ranked by the WBC," Majeski said.

BoxingScene spoke with Johnson’s co-promoter Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing. Margules does not expect any legal resistance for several reasons. While it is true that Dawson is not currently rated by the WBC because of his previous position as the IBF champion; when the next WBC ratings come out - Dawson is expected to land within the top three. HBO is not promoting the event as a WBC title fight and the network has never mention the WBC title. Johnson has been waiting for a shot at the WBC title for a long time. Margules tells BoxingScene that Johnson sat back while Adrian Diaconu was given two exceptions and when Pascal won the title from Diaconu, Johnson was skipped over in favor of Branco.

“I went down to Mexico and asked the WBC to sanction the fight for the interim-title before Diaconu and Pascal even fought. Johnson was waiting for a fight with Diaconu. Diaconu took two other fights - so why should Johnson‘s position change? There is no legal basis to oppose this fight [as a WBC interim-title bout],” Margules said.

Jul 24, 2005
Concepcion Moving Up To Bantamweight Next

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Panama’s Rafael “El Torito” Concepcion who failed to make the 115 pound super flyweight limit for his WBA interim title fight against Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire at the Hard RBock Hotel and Casino on Sunday, Manila Time, will move up to bantamweight.

Concepcion’s manager Damon De Berry of Optimum Sports Agency told BoxingScene.com, insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports after the weigh-in “we arrived into Las Vegas at 119 ½ lbs and after six days of attempting to lose weight Rafael couldn’t g et down any more and was completely dried out.”

De Berry who was in the Philippines when Concepcion won the WBA super flyweight interim title with a stunning 10th round knockout over fancied, world-rated AJ”Bazooka” Banal at the Cebu Coliseum last year said “this will be his (Concepcion’s) last fight at super flyweight. He will go up to 118 after this bout.”

Should Donaire win as expected, he will be crowned champion. However, should Concepcion win the title will be declared vacant.

Even without throwing a punch Donaire earns $6,500 which will be deducted from Concepcion’s purse while another $6,500 will go to the Nevada State Athletic Commission for Concepcion’s failure to make the weight.

Jul 24, 2005
Vivian Harris OK, Promises To Come Back Better

By Ryan Songalia

Despite the horrifying scene that unfolded last night at the Desert Diamond Casino in Tuscon, AZ, Vivian Harris says he's OK.

This news comes less than 24 hours after Harris was incapacitated by a headbutt to the temple in the second round of his ESPN2 Friday Night Fights main event with Noe Bolanos. Harris collapsed in the corner and had to be escorted from the ring on a stretcher. He was later taken to an area hospital where he underwent precautionary CAT scans.

"I was more concerned for my daughter that was ringside," said Harris, 31, of Carlstadt, NJ by way of Georgetown, Guyana.

"That's boxing, things happen. You have to just keep moving on. I'll be back again to perform better and better every time. I'm focused."

The 29-3-1 (19 KO) former junior-welterweight champion was competing in his first bout in 10 months and his first since signing with Golden Boy Promotions. This was the second fight with trainer Tommy Brooks in his corner.

In his last fight, Harris climbed off the canvas twice in the first round against unknown Octavio Narvaez to score a sixth round TKO.

Harris believes that had the Bolanos fight continued without the butt, he would have gradually taken over with his experience and class.

"I was getting more relaxed with my jab and keeping him at long range. I was pleased with myself because it's kind of hard to change my habits of banging out in the first round."

For Brooks, the scene was eerily similar to the one he endured in San Antonio last year when his pupil Oscar Diaz lapsed into a coma following his bout with Delvin Rodriguez, also on ESPN2. Brooks says that had he followed the game plan laid out before the fight and not closed the distance, the butt wouldn't have occurred.

Despite Harris' two knockout defeats, he says he had never been hurt as bad as he was by the clash of heads.

"That was the [expletive] worst. That headbutt was some rare, crazy stuff. It was no joke. The first round had a headbutt too but it wasn't like the second one. Still I wanted to fight."

Harris commended the Arizona Boxing commissioner for his handling of the situation.

"That's a good commissioner. He takes good care of the fighters. I really respect him for that. He came to the back of the dressing room and made sure I was OK. I didn't want to go to the hospital but he made sure I did so I'd be OK."

Jul 24, 2005
Valuev: "David Haye, a Bigger Blabbermouth Than Ruiz"

By Andrey Krikunov

WBA heavyweight champion Nikolay Valuev started his training camp for the bout against David Haye which is set to take place on November 7. The Russian boxer trains in his hometown of Saint-Petersburg, but has a lack of decent sparring-partners.

“Now we have two training sessions per day with one day-off in a week, - told Valuev’s trainer Alexander Zimin to Sovetskiy Sport. – We pay special attention to fitness. It’s very bad when a fighter doesn’t have fights. Later on we’ll increase Nikolay’s work with a partner. He had several sparring sessions with Italian Olympics heavyweight champion Roberto Cammarelle who came to Peterborough with his team. But we don’t have a permanent sparring partner here."

Valuev himself is in a confident mood and is ready to silence talkative Haye on the ring.

“My future opponent is David Haye, or to be more precise – David Boor, - joked the Russian giant. – He’s really a rude guy. He likes to wag his tongue even more than the other blabbermouth John Ruiz," Valuev said