Boxing News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 24, 2005
Super" Six Tourney? Not Without Mikkel Kessler

By Cliff Rold

It has generated genuine excitement in the boxing fan base. Combining a slate of prominent titlists, name brand veterans, and two of the most promising young fighters in class, Showtime’s planned Super Middleweight tournament concept is a breath of fresh air.

There is a difference between concept and execution. The execution is hitting turbulence.

In the last week, fight followers have had the chance to read threats from Danish promoter Mogens Palle. Paraphrasing a letter released by the Palle camp and published at BoxingScene on Sunday (http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=21384), Palle is fixin’ to sue everybody.

Okay, maybe not everybody, but in this case it could be everyone who matters. Palle claims his contract with WBA 168 lb. titlist Mikkel Kessler (41-1, 31 KO) still has options on three more fights before Kessler is able to fight under another banner. By extension, the argument is that Kessler’s participation in Showtime’s endeavor, without Palle’s involvement, violates a valid contract.

The contract in general has been tied up in Danish courts for a while now, Kessler of course claiming Palle’s rights to him are at an end. Having not had access to the contracts, there is no comment here as to which side is legally correct. It’s worth noting the option might be available to escrow a portion of Kessler’s purses in the interim while the planned fights continue.

While not offering opinion on the contract status, the tournament’s meaning to Kessler as a professional is evident. After rocketing through the top ten and capturing the WBA and WBC belts, he fell short against future Hall of Famer Joe Calzaghe in a 2007 mega-fight to decide the division’s true king. It was a good fight and by no means a loss which should have blown his career off the rails.

It’s been blown off anyways.

A botched negotiation for a bout with then still-compelling contender Edison Miranda on Showtime, and an inability to entice a Calzaghe rematch or a notable showdown with any other major name, meant fights instead with Dimtri Sartison and Danilo Haussler in 2008.

Who?

Exactly.

One could make the case that at least the Sartison fight was for the vacant WBA belt but, having lost the same organizations “Super title” to Calzaghe only months earlier, it was initially an honor up there with a participation trophy for Kindergarten soccer. After Calzaghe vacated his titles in the division, it made him the sole WBA titlist and at least lends him the titlist credential for the tournament…for whatever that’s worth in an organization which recognizes just shy of an average two titlists per division (super, regular, or interim) right now.

Kessler needs this tournament to save a floundering career and the tournament needs the shine he brings to it. Still, it must be asked, could Kessler’s spot be in jeopardy under the cloud of litigation? If so, who steps in? And most importantly, can the promotionally dubbed “Super Six World Boxing Classic” stay upper case “S” super without him?

It would be tough, especially considering who else is not involved.

The name most prominently excluded from the Showtime tournament is, and has been from the start, Canadian-based IBF titlist Lucian Bute (24-0, 19 KO). No firm explanation has ever been offered for why he was not invited but, well, he wasn’t. The consensus top three Super Middleweights in the world right now, whether it be in the ratings at this site, Ring Magazine, ESPN, or FightNews, are Kessler, Bute, and the U.K.’s WBC titlist Carl Froch (25-0 20 KO). All have Kessler in the number one slot. Three of four have Bute at number two.

One of the strongest selling points of the “Super Six,” besides the promise of a whole mess of fun fights, is the potential to crown one of the stronger champions in the sport. Starting without the division’s number two man was an impediment to that in utero. To start, or wind up at some point without, arguably both of the two best fighters in the division is a dramatic injury to credibility in terms of determining a top dog.

The on-deck circle is already being publically filled, which may be a sign concerns are justified.

Reports this week peg contender Allan Green (28-1, 20 KO) being positioned as a ‘first alternate’ to the tournament with a highly winnable fight against middling Victor Oganov (28-2-, 28 KO) in October on Showtime as the stumbling block. On face, there is nothing wrong with getting Green ready. The tournament needs an alternate whether Kessler can go or not and Kessler is not the only source of early questions.

There are, and should be, questions about former World Middleweight champion Jermain Taylor (28-3-1, 17 KO). Taylor has been stopped violently in two of his last four, most recently against fellow tournament participant Froch in April. Taylor is matched in the first round of the tournament against German-based former IBF Middleweight titlist Arthur Abraham (30-0, 24 KO) and another knockout loss in possible. If such a thing were to occur, would he want to continue as a professional, much less in the tournament?

It’s one of the most compelling start points for the “Classic.”

From early on Green has been a one of the names prominently mentioned, after Bute, among fighters excluded. A legitimate power puncher, something the American side of the equation lacks, he is no more or less qualified than any of the American’s involved given Taylor’s recent losses and the still unproven resumes of former Olympic Medalists Andre Ward (19-0, 12 KO) and Andre Dirrell (18-0, 13 KO).

Various independent ratings show Green’s merits regarded about the same right now as either of the Andre’s. Green is rated in the top ten by Ring and ESPN and just outside of the top ten here at BoxingScene and FightNews; Ward is rated by Ring, BoxingScene, and FightNews; and Dirrell by BoxingScene and ESPN.

Green swapped for any of the Americans at any point wouldn’t discredit the tournament and would certainly still make for exciting fights.

Green for Kessler is a different matter, at least in the early going. There is always the chance Kessler makes it through to his first scheduled battle, against Ward in November. If he were to lose there and then be forced out, the quick sway of public opinion would say he wasn’t one of the top two anymore anyways and, by tournament’s end, it wouldn’t matter anymore.

However, if he doesn’t make the tournament at all or, even worse, won and then had to be removed, what are fans left with? Certainly we’d have a ‘surviving six,’ even a ‘strong six,’ but super falls out of reach.

There is every reason to think this can all be worked out before the opening bells. Boxing is a money business and there is probably a number which makes Palle happy or at least makes him go away if he can prove his contract rights valid. All fans should have their fingers crossed for as much anyways.

Boxing needs an event like this one and it’s too close, too enticing, to let it slip away or be impaired now. This corner doesn’t claim to know how exactly to do it, doesn’t really care how it gets done, but borrowing from Saturday Night Live, “Fix It!”

Jul 24, 2005
Cory Spinks Talks Next Foe, Says Pacquiao Over Cotto

by T.K. Stewart

In a week that saw his good friend and protege, Devon Alexander, win the WBC super-lightweight title with a win over Junior Witter, 154-pound IBF titlist Cory Spinks is in a good mood.

Spinks, who goes by the nickname "The Next Generation" is happy to see that his hometown of St. Louis is recognizing Alexander with a Key to the City. Mayor Francis Slay will be on hand in a ceremony at the City Hall Rotundato to present Alexander and trainer Kevin Cunningham with the honor.

As for Spinks, 31, nothing is set in terms of his next fight. “I don't know for sure. We're working on some things. I expect something soon. We've just got to wait a little longer,” said the son of Leon Spinks, the former heavyweight champion and the nephew of Michael Spinks the former light heavyweight and heavyweight champion. Spinks, 37-5, 11 KOs is promoted by Don King.

The top spot in the IBF rantings at 154-pounds is currently vacant. The leading ranked contender to the title Spinks holds is Cornelius “K-9” Bundrage who is #2 while behind him at #3 is Yuri Foreman. Those two met this past June in Atlantic City, but the fight was stopped in the 3rd round after Foreman was deemed unable to continue because of an accidental clash of heads.

While Spinks has only fought sporadically in the past few years and has had a few close decisions go the other way against him, he claims that is of no major consequence to him. “I'm a veteran, you know. I'm a former undisputed world welterweight champion. The other thing is that sometimes you don't really lose the fights they say you do. I could easily have been the middleweight champion, too.”

Spinks of course is alluding to his split-decision loss versus Jermain Taylor in May 2007 in a failed bid for the middleweight championship. In March 2008 he faced then IBF junior middleweight belt-holder Verno Phillips in which he lost another split decision. A split decision that finally did go his way was in April of this year when he defeated Deandre Latimore to garner the vacant IBF junior middleweight belt.

Besides Devon Alexander, Spinks notes that Manny Pacquiao is his favorite fighter. “I like him to beat Cotto when they fight,” said Spinks. “Even though he's not as big and strong as Cotto I think his speed will get him out on top.”

In the other big fight of the fall boxing season, Spinks says he's going with Floyd Mayweather, Jr. to beat Juan Manuel Marquez when they meet on Sept. 19th. “I like Floyd in that one. He's too good with too much skill. He's one of the best boxers out there so I think he wins that one

Jul 24, 2005
St. Vil provides details of attack by Mayweather

FIGHTLEDGER.com/Boxing report

Female boxer Melissa St. Vil is back in New York and talking about being attacked Sunday in Las Vegas by Roger Mayweather. St. Vil revealed the horrifying details to Boxingscene.com.Roger Mayweather/ Boxingscene

There are always two sides to every story, and Mayweather has not yet told his version, but St. Vil’s account of the event is quite convincing. The New York resident said she was choked by Mayweather and nearly lost her life

Jul 24, 2005
Insider Notebook: Mayweather Issue, Pavlik-Williams Close

By Robert Morales

Melissa St. Vil was back home in New York City on Tuesday, just two days after she said she was assaulted by her former trainer, Roger Mayweather.

"I'm sore, real banged up," St. Vil told BoxingScene.com via telephone from a friend's house.

St. Vil described in spine-tingling detail the events of Sunday morning that took place in a Las Vegas condominium owned by Mayweather that had been inhabited by St. Vil and fellow boxer Cornelius Lock the past several months.

Mayweather, who trains his nephew Floyd Mayweather Jr., was arrested on felony coercion and battery-strangulation charges, according to the Associated Press. He is free on bail, but St. Vil said not only will she be back in Las Vegas to testify against Mayweather at his trial should there be one, she will file a civil lawsuit against the 48-year-old former super featherweight and super lightweight world champion.

The scariest part of her account came as she described the tail end of the incident.

"Oh, yes, of course," said St. Vil, when asked if she feared for her life. "Oh, my goodness. "When (the officer) came, he (Mayweather) was choking me. My heart, everything was stopping. It was beating slower and slower. I have blood in my eye from the pressure.

"All the blood went to my head. I thought I was going to die. If (the officer) had not come at the time he came, me and you would not be on this phone right now. It has to be God, man. Imagine someone choking you and you are taking punches in the head at the same time."

It started just after Lock went to church. St. Vil stayed back but was supposed to meet Lock there. She said she heard the door bell ring, and that it was Mayweather. She said she did not answer the door.

"Roger has been stalking me for a while now and I have witnesses all over who can tell you that," St. Vil said. "I never opened the door. I saw him ringing the door bell and I just went to the other room."

St. Vil said next thing she knew, Mayweather had let himself in with a key. She said he wanted to know when she was leaving.

According to Lock, Mayweather knew he was moving back to Detroit and that St. Vil was moving back to New York City, where she grew up after being born in Haiti. St. Vil said when she told Mayweather she was leaving with Lock the next day, Mayweather blew up.

"He said, 'No, bitch, you getting the f**k out today,' " St. Vil said. "I said, 'I'm not going anywhere.' He pushed me and when he pushed me that is when all the fighting started. He was punching me in the face, he was punching me in the ribs. And then I hit him with a lamp trying to get him off of me.

"He said, 'Bitch, you think you a man? I'll beat you like a man.' "

St. Vil said Mayweather then opened the door and tried to push her out. She said she resisted and that's when Mayweather started choking her.

"While he was choking me with one hand, that is when he was hitting me with the other hand," she said. "That is when the officer came in just in time. They were at gun-point. He (Mayweather) stopped."

St. Vil said she unleashed the first punch, but only after Mayweather's initial push.

"I threw the first punch after he pushed me to the wall," she said. "It's a man, you know what I'm saying? I know I'm a fighter myself, but I can't beat a man."

St. Vil, a 25-year-old lightweight with a record of 1-1-1, said she is back in New York City to stay. But she will be back in Sin City to take care of business related to this incident.

"The only time I will be in Vegas is for court," she said.

Some Background

St. Vil was trained by Mayweather for her fight against Emily Klinefelter in April in Minneapolis. She lost that fight via split decision. After that, she said, Mayweather began acting differently toward her.

"I don't know where this animosity comes from," she said. "I just know he has been acting funny."

Lock - a featherweight with a record of 18-4-1 - said he noticed the same thing and that is why a while back he strongly encouraged St. Vil to leave the Mayweather gym and begin training with someone else at Johnny Tocco's gym in Las Vegas.

"When I realized he had some kind of issues with her for whatever reason, I tried to relieve the situation by removing her from the gym," Lock said. "For some reason, he didn't like Melissa and I didn't understand why."

When pressed, Lock said there had been some scuttlebutt about St. Vil not paying Mayweather, but that St. Vil had agreed to pay Mayweather a percentage of her purses. Lock also wondered if Mayweather might have had romantic feelings toward St. Vil that were not returned. But what really confused Lock was the way everything went down Sunday. He said Mayweather came over last Thursday and spoke to him and St. Vil. Lock - who was trained by Mayweather - said Mayweather did not show up to his July 24 fight against Antonio Escalante in El Paso, Texas.

Lock said Mayweather was talking to him about that fight as well as asking St. Vil about the prospects for her fight this past Saturday - a day before the Las Vegas incident - against Jennifer Han in Las Cruces, N. M.

Lock and St. Vil said that Mayweather also let himself in with a key that day. As they were talking, Lock said there were packed boxes all around and Mayweather knew he and St. Vil were to move out of the condominium on Monday; Lock said the rent was being paid by his manager, Billy Summers.

"I told him after she comes back (from her fight) we were leaving," said Lock, 30. "It was obvious we were leaving and not coming back to that residence. He knew she was leaving the next day. Why would he come over the day before? ... He didn't show up to my last fight and I was probably going to get another coach anyway. I definitely wasn't going to stay at his condo anymore and I don't know if he was upset about that."

Interestingly, Lock fights for Mayweather Promotions, Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s company. He therefore spoke in uneasy tones about all of this.

"I'm under contract to Mayweather Promotions, so I don't know how all of this is going to play out," Lock said via telephone from Detroit. "But I'm definitely going to get another trainer."

For the record, St. Vil was asked if she and Lock are dating. She said they are only friends.

There are, of course, two sides to every story. Efforts to reach Roger Mayweather through Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe were unsuccessful.

Schaefer Not Expecting Any Problems

Floyd Mayweather Jr. is preparing for his Sept. 19 fight against Juan Manuel Marquez at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. If his uncle Roger is not able to work his corner because of his legal problems, Richard Schaefer does not necessarily see that is a hindrance to Floyd Jr. Schaefer is CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, which promotes Marquez.

"I don't know the details," Schaefer said of the aforementioned charges against Roger Mayweather. "I don't know if it is going to become an issue. The only thing I do know is when Floyd Mayweather fought Carlos Baldomir, he didn't have Roger in the corner.

"Floyd Mayweather is just such a gifted athlete, he doesn't really need anybody in his corner when it comes down to it. Of course, Roger gives him a certain confidence level. But he's gone through something similar before, Floyd, where he didn't have Roger in the corner and he looked very good against Baldomir."

Roger Mayweather was not in his nephew's corner for his November 2006 lopsided victory over Baldomir in Las Vegas because he was under suspension for his role in a ring riot during Floyd Jr.'s fight against Zab Judah the previous April. Roger Mayweather later that year also began serving a six-month jail sentence for domestic assault.

Of course, if Uncle Roger is not available, Floyd Sr. could step right in.

Arum: Pavlik-Williams Making Progress

BoxingScene.com spoke to promoter Bob Arum on Wednesday via telephone from Aspen, where he said he has been hiking seven to eight miles per day.

"I'm totally exhausted," said Arum, 77. "That's a lot for an old guy like me."

Arum wasn't too tired to talk about the ongoing negotiations for a fight between middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik and former welterweight and current interim junior middleweight champion Paul Williams.

At one point it appeared this fight - which would probably be held Oct. 3 in Atlantic City - might be dead in the water because Williams promoter Dan Goossen was not happy with the slice of the pie being offered his side.

But Arum on Wednesday sounded optimistic.

"I think we're getting very close," Arum said. "We're not there, but we're getting close. We are not wide apart like we were a week ago."

Arum was informed that rumor had it the most recent offer being made to Goossen and Williams was $1.75 million. Without admitting that number was true, he did say "there has been an adjustment, yeah," when asked if the ante had been upped.

Arum said everyone would like to see this fight.

"So, hopefully, we will get it done," he said.

Arreola-Klitschko Done

A source very close to the negotiations has told BoxingScene.com that the heavyweight fight between champion Vitali Klitschko and top contender Chris Arreola is a done deal for Sept. 26 at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

The source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said a news conference would be held Aug. 13 in Los Angeles to make the formal announcement.

Dan Goossen, who promotes Arreola, could not be reached for comment. But at Saturday's card in Rancho Mirage, Calif., Arreola
said that as far as he was concerned the deal was already consummated.

"I'm already training like it's a done deal," Arreola said.

Arreola (27-0, 24 KOs) lives in Riverside, Calif., but he was born in Los Angeles. He is trying to become the first heavyweight champion of Mexican ancestry.

Klitschko will be returning to the arena where he gave Lennox Lewis hell before Lewis won via 6th-round tecnical knockout because of nasty cuts sustained by Klitschko, who was ahead by two points on all three scorecards. Lewis was defending his title that night in June 2003. He never fought again.

Klitschko (37-2, 36 KOs) returned to Staples Center two fights later - in April 2004 - and stopped Corrie Sanders in the eighth round to win the title vacated by Lewis.

At 38, Klitschko is 10 years older than Arreola.

De La Hoya: Mosley Has Himself To Blame

Oscar De La Hoya last week was asked about "Sugar" Shane Mosley, a partner in De La Hoya's Golden Boy company. Mosley is coming off one of the biggest victories in his career - a ninth-round stoppage of Antonio Margarito in January in Los Angeles - yet here he sits without a partner for his next dance.

"Shane put himself in a very difficult position because of his last fight with Antonio Margarito," De La Hoya said. "Obviously, nobody wants to fight him and now you have to move on to the young guys that are coming up, the (Andre) Bertos, the guys nobody wants to fight either and he is willing to fight.

"It's a matter of him just making his mind up on who he wants to fight if it's not going to be Manny Pacquiao, and we will make the fight happen."

Mosley tried everything he could to lure Pacquiao into a fight, but Pacquiao instead is scheduled to fight Miguel Cotto on Nov. 14 at a catch-weight of 145 pounds. Mosley has not fought at lower than 146 pounds for the past 10 years, but Mosley early on said he would meet Pacquiao at 143. Then he really stretched things by saying he would take on Pacquiao at 140, the weight class at which Pacquiao knocked out Ricky Hatton in the second round in May.

"He really wanted that fight to happen," De La Hoya said. "It doesn't surprise me how persistent he was because that's the kind of warrior he is. It shocked me that he even wanted to go down to 140. That is how badly he wanted the fight."

It appears there is a chance that Mosley and Berto - both of whom are welterweight champions - could fight in December. BoxingScene.com publisher Rick Reeno reported that Schaefer will be in New York this week to explore that opportunity. Schaefer is scheduled for a sit-down with Berto promoter Lou DiBella and HBO.

Huerta-Wilson II?

Golden Boy's card last Thursday at Club Nokia in Los Angeles was a success in that the fights were good and the attendance - 2,276 - was terrific for a club card.

Of course, it was not all good because Golden Boy featherweight Charles Huerta was knocked the heck out by Derrick Wilson in the first round of the main event.

Huerta came in 11-0 with seven knockouts, but he was overwhelmed by a very quick-starting Wilson (5-0-1, 2 KOs), who leveled Huerta with a vicious left hook from which Huerta never rose.

Schaefer had a few thoughts on this rather stunning performance by Wilson.

"I think (Huerta) got caught by surprise," said Schaefer, who was sitting in the balcony with his wife. "I think he got caught cold there and I think it is going to be a different story in the rematch."

Schaefer said he has already told Golden Boy matchmaker Eric Gomez to go to work on putting together a return fight.

"That is a fight I think people would want to see again," Schaefer said.

Schaefer also said that just because Huerta now has a knockout loss on his ledger, that doesn't mean he still can't realize his dream of becoming a world champion.

"Just because he lost a fight ... we need to be a little bit more forgiving," Schaefer said. "All of us, promoters, managers, fans, media. He is a young fighter. As long as he uses that as a learning experience. He might have lost the battle, but not the war."

Huerta, of Paramount, Calif., is 22.

Robert Morales covers boxing for the Los Angeles Daily News, Long Beach Press-Telegram, and BoxingScene.com.

>>>Click Here For Tons of More Breaking Boxing News, Articles and Insider Information<<<

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
lol, JuanMa seriously needs to step it up and fight Caballero, he's looking kinda foolish at this point. Blatant ducking going on....

Warrior Boxing and C. Caballero make their own postcard

"I will say it again &#8211; if Juan Manuel Lopez is the great champion you say he is, he will step up and fight me. This is a fight for the fans and the sport of boxing, and if Lopez cares about his reputation and legacy, this should be the only fight he&#8217;s thinking of. Just because Lopez comes from the island that produced great Puerto Rican champions like Felix Trinidad, Wilfred Benitez, Wilfredo Gomez, and Miguel Cotto doesn&#8217;t mean he&#8217;s one of them yet. Those champions never ducked a challenge. Don&#8217;t let him disgrace them by being the first. And yes Orlando, I will go to Puerto Rico to fight Lopez, so you can talk all you want, but if you go to Bob Arum and tell him you want this fight, I know he will get it done" - celestino caballero

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
lol, JuanMa seriously needs to step it up and fight Caballero, he's looking kinda foolish at this point. Blatant ducking going on....

"I will say it again &#8211; if Juan Manuel Lopez is the great champion you say he is, he will step up and fight me. This is a fight for the fans and the sport of boxing, and if Lopez cares about his reputation and legacy, this should be the only fight he&#8217;s thinking of. Just because Lopez comes from the island that produced great Puerto Rican champions like Felix Trinidad, Wilfred Benitez, Wilfredo Gomez, and Miguel Cotto doesn&#8217;t mean he&#8217;s one of them yet. Those champions never ducked a challenge. Don&#8217;t let him disgrace them by being the first. And yes Orlando, I will go to Puerto Rico to fight Lopez, so you can talk all you want, but if you go to Bob Arum and tell him you want this fight, I know he will get it done" - celestino caballero

Caballero: &#8220;I'll Break Juanma's Mouth in Puerto Rico&#8221;

By Mark Vester

WBA/IBF super bantamweight champion Celestino Caballero continues to bait WBO champ Juan Manuel Lopez. Caballero has called Juanma every name in the book and now he is willing to face the Puerto Rican fighter on his own ground. He says Juanma is being protected by his handlers from real challenges.

"I am going to break his mouth but I want it to be in Puerto Rico so the people there can be convinced that he is a not a champion, a fraud to the crown, only fights in his country and he is protected," Caballero told ESPN Deportes.

Caballero has no fear of facing Juan in Puerto Rico. He loves to take big fights in hostile territory.

"They call me the champion traveler. I took a unification fight in Canada and beat a Canadian. I went to the house of the number one fighter in Thailand and I also had a great knockout. If Janma wants it, I'll break his mouth before his fans in Puerto Rico," Caballero said.

Jul 24, 2005
Roy Jones Jr Heads To The UFC To Scout Anderson Silva

Eight-time world boxing champion Roy Jones, Jr. is taking a well-earned day off from his intense training for his fight next Saturday, August 15th, against Jeff “Left Hook” Lacy on the "Hook City" pay-per-view show live from Biloxi, Mississippi. Jones will be attending tomorrow night's (Saturday) UFC show in Philadelphia to scout Anderson Silva in order to check out his skills in person.

Jul 24, 2005
Sergio Martinez Ready To Fight Paul Williams on October 3

By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com was advised that Sergio Martinez, WBC junior middleweight champion, is ready to fight Paul Williams on October 3 - if Williams' promoter, Dan Goossen, is unable to reach a deal to fight WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik. Williams' side is still negotiationing with Top Rank and they hope to complete a deal. Martinez is holding back from finalizing a title defense in France. Williams holds the WBO's interim title at 154-pounds.

A Martinez camp member told BoxingScene "Sergio is ready to fight Paul Williams on October 3. We believe the deal to fight Kelly Pavlik will get done because HBO has so much money on the table [$3.75 million] but if they don't reach a deal, Sergio wants to fight Williams as long they treat it like a unification fight and don't treat Sergio like 'an opponent

Jul 24, 2005
Mosley-Berto Talks Positive, Fight Not Likely in 2009

By Rick Reeno

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer has arrived in New York to conduct some business. He met with promoter Lou DiBella to discuss the possibility of putting together a unification bout between welterweight champions Shane Mosley and Andre Berto for December 5 on HBO.

The meeting went well - but BoxingScene.com was advised that there may not be enough money in the pot to make the fight happen in 2009. The first quarter of 2010 is more likely, at least at this point.

There are several problems. HBO is offering $3.2 million, a figure that doesn't satisfy the financial needs of both boxers. From what I was told, a Los Angeles venue is not available for the date. The parties looked at the possibility of staging the fight in Las Vegas. The problem with Vegas is the site fee money. Because the date falls at the end of the year, and the date is only a few weeks after the Pacquiao-Cotto mega-show, the promoters are able to secure a much bigger site fee if the fight is staged in early 2010.

There could be hope for Mosley-Berto if the proposed middleweight fight between Kelly Pavlik and Paul Williams falls apart. Pavlik-Williams [being offered $3.75 by HBO] falling apart would potentially leave more money in HBO's budget to bump up the offer for Mosley-Berto.

If the financial issues for Mosley-Berto are not resolved, look for both boxers to take fights before the end of the year to build up a meeting in 2010. Mosley has the December 5 date and two names being thrown around for opponents are Kermit Cintron and Joshua Clottey. Berto may opt to unify with IBF champion Isaac Hlatshwayo

Jul 24, 2005
Pacquiao Wants To Fight Cotto For The WBC Diamond Belt

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Filipino boxing hero and world pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao says he would be “very happy” to fight for the World Boxing Council’s newly-minted “Diamond Belt” and “appreciates the offer” which was made by WBC president Don Jose Sulaiman.

Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz spoke to Sulaiman early Friday after the WBC confirmed what Sulaiman told BoxingScene.com, insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports earlier this week about the WBC plan to institute the “Diamond Belt” for elite fighters at catch-weights.

Koncz who was with Pacquiao when we called said Pacquiao was “pleased and honored” to fight for the “Diamond Belt” since he has been a longtime WBC champion in different weight divisions and has proudly worn the WBC belt in the past.

Koncz said he would meet with Top Rank promoter Bob Arum next week in the US and inform him that Pacquiao wishes to fight WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto for the WBC “Diamond Belt.”

Koncz and Sulaiman had a telephone conversation after which Sulaiman told us that he had “a very nice conversation” and that he was “very, very happy and I will wait for Arum to call me.”

Sulaiman told us early this week from his home in Mexico that he believes the WBC had a significant role in the “projection of Manny (Pacquiao) from a simple champion to a very popular, famous and great champion that he is today.” He also mentioned the fact that he “always thought Manny was “a good friend of mine, proud and happy to be a WBC champion.”

Sulaiman said the WBC Board of Governors had voted unanimously to implement the “Diamond Belt” concept which they said will help promoters and television networks “looking f or highly interesting and passionate battles for the benefit of boxing fans around the world.”

In a press statement the WBC said “it believes this belt will play a very important role in modern boxing as the fights between elite boxers c alled ‘catch weight’ fights have not been a complete success due to the fact that nothing is at stake.”

Under the proposal the WBC wants promotions to “render homage to the two greatest fighters of such division who will be showcased in the battle for the belt.” Sulaiman told us the belt will use the same design as the famous WBC green and gold belt but the material will include 18 karat gold fusion and will be encrusted with 598 diamonds, 196 emeralds, 6 rubies and 150 other semi-precious stones.

The WBO had earlier demanded that both Pacquiao and Cotto pay the organization $150,000 each in order for their catch-weight showdown to be sanctioned as a world title fight which provided an opening for both fighters, Arum and the WBC itself to try and work out an agreement to fight for the “Diamond Belt” without paying such a huge sanction fee which would amount to almost P7.5 million for each fighter.

Jul 24, 2005
Cotto Says Split With Evangelista a Long Time Coming

By Mark Vester

WBO welterweight champ Miguel Cotto spoke on the record for the first time about his violent split with uncle/former trainer Evangelista Cotto. Miguel says the split was a long time coming and there were always problems in the camp. On April 8, the team finally exploded at their gym in Puerto Rico after a dispute over the training camp location [for the Joshua Clottey fight] would lead to Miguel firing his uncle and then it was violence as a brawl erupted between the two of them.

There are various reports over who threw the first punch. The two would fight in the gym, at Miguel apartment and on the street. Evangelista would head to the hospital with a possible broken nose and injured ribs. Since the brawl, Miguel made Joe Santiago the head trainer, and Evangelista has filed a $7 million dollar lawsuit against Miguel, claiming breach of contract and for the beating.

or a long time trying to hide it, maybe even fix it, but Miguel 'JUnit' Cotto just accept that the relationship with his former coach and uncle, Evangelista 'Cano' Cotto, it was untenable to the point of reaching the violent separation now facing a court case, with no apparent reconciliation.

He sais Evangelista never liked the conditioning coach, Phil Landman. He said Evangelista was a control freak.

"Evangelista did not understand. Phil came to make his job easier and Evangelista did not understand it. He is the kind of person who wants to have control of everything. Everyone had to work in harmony for my benefit, and he wouldn't," Cotto told El Nuevo Dia.

Miguel said that his uncle began to train other fighters there would always be conflicts with their training sessions. He claims Evangelista would train others at the same time and sometimes take off to help them. There were also lifestyle clashes. Evangelista hated that Miguel would party.

"I'm wasn't asking him to not have other boxers, but you have to have priorities. He did not tolerate my lifestyle and did not tolerate the things I did. Yes, I agree, I like going out, but I've learned to be responsible with my personal life and my professional life. I know how to divide them. When I'm training, I am training. You're not going to see me anywhere, and he could not handle that," Cotto said.

"This could have been avoided [the brawl]. It's painful for me, for the whole family, but it was something he did not want to avoid but the relationship between a nephew and his uncle was lost many years ago."

Cotto returns on November 14 against Manny Pacquiao at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Jul 24, 2005
Emanuel Steward: &quot;I Can Help Cotto Knock Pacquiao Out&quot;

By Mark Vester

Hall-of-fame trainer Emanuel Steward is hoping to hook up with WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto and help the Puerto Rican star beat Manny Pacquiao on November 14 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. There were rumors that Cotto would hire Steward to work his corner. To date, nobody has contacted Steward from Cotto's camp.

"Up until now, nobody has communicated with me [from Cotto's camp], but I would love to be able to have the opportunity to work with Miguel. If we reach an agreement, I don't have any doubts that Miguel would knock Pacquiao out," Steward told Primera Hora. "I am of the few people who gives Miguel a big shot to win that fight by boxing. Miguel is perhaps the best boxer to go to the body. I have seen some as many things that can improve and I know that he can knock Pacquiao out."

"Miguel is one of the few boxers that I would love to work with if they gave me the opportunity. I am a great admirer of Miguel because he never refuses to fight against the best."

Steward says Cotto is not given enough credit for his recent decision win over Joshua Clottey. Cotto suffered a very bad cut to his left eye and still finished the fight. He said a lot of welterweights were avoiding Clottey, but not Cotto

"No other boxer would have accepted that fight, much less continue (fighting) with an injury like that. Miguel does not get the credit that he deserves and I know that a lot people do not give him a shot at beating Pacquiao, but I do," Steward said.

Jul 24, 2005
Malignaggi on Diaz &quot;I am going to put on a boxing clinic

By Thomas Newman: Paulie Malignaggi throws himself back into the Jr Welterweight mix on the August 22nd in an exciting bout against former World Lightweight Champion Juan "Baby Bull" Diaz. The result of this match will no doubt catapult the winner towards a title shot against one of the crop of Junior Welterweight champions. Paulie Malignaggi takes time out of his training regime to talk to Thomas Newman from www.boxingcommunity.tv

(TN) Paulie you are next up against Juan Diaz on August 22nd. What would you say is the "Baby Bull's" biggest weakness?

(PM) Thanks for having me. Well, Juan Diaz is a great fighter and is going to come to fight. We know that for a fact, but I will show the Baby Bull's weaknesses on August 22nd.

(TN) Without giving too much away...what is your game plan for the fight?

(PM) Well your going to see the old Paulie Malignaggi back in action. We have got a great game plan on August 22nd, and I am ready for anything baby bull has to offer. We have got a great team and I am going to put on a boxing clinic..

(TN) Who do you want next after the Diaz fight?

(PM) Right now were not looking past Juan Diaz, he's a quality opponent. But really whoever brings the most money.

(TN) Aside from Manny Pacquiao - who is the most dangerous opponent that you could face in the Junior Welterweight division?

(PM) Well, there are a lot of great fighters in that division...you got Floyd Mayweather, Shane Mosely and Juan Manuel Marquez moving up. Therefore, there are definitely big names in this division. We will weigh up our options after Diaz on August 22nd.

(TN) What did you make of last weekends action with both bouts ending in an unusual fashion?

(PM) That's boxing...you never know whats going to happen!

(TN) You famously challenged Miguel Cotto back in 2006. How do you rate his chances against Manny Pacquiao and how do you see the fight going?

(PM) We see Cotto being the bigger, stronger, more aggressive fighter. Personally, I think Manny's a little to small for 147. But it's still going to be an exciting fight to watch.

(TN) Who would be your dream opponent (current or past) in the Light Welterweight division?

(PM) Right now its Juan Diaz, he's the main focus. After we make him disappear, we will find another dream.

(TN) What do you think the future is for Ricky Hatton....retire or purely concentrate on promoting?

(PM) Ricky Hatton should retire and help out UK boxing.

(TN) Some people in the UK boxing press have mentioned your name as a possible opponent for Britain's new WBA Jr Welterweight champ Amir Khan. If that happened how would you see the outcome?

(PM) Anything is possible. If he brings money...then we can talk.

Paulie Malignaggi takes on Juan "Baby Bull" Diaz on August 22nd at the Toyota Centre in Houston, Texas. The fight will be broadcast on HBO's "Boxing After Dark".

Jul 24, 2005
Roy Jones - Jeff Lacy PPV card complete - four title fights featured

NEXT WEEK IS JONES VS. LACY WEEK ON ESPN CLASSIC

Hooks will be flying in Biloxi on Saturday August 15 when Eight-Time World Champion, Roy "Captain Hook" Jones Jr. and Two-Time World Champion Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy battle it out in "Hook City," at the MS Coast Coliseum. To prepare us for this highly anticipated match-up of speed and power, ESPN Classic will air past Jones and Lacy fights every night next week and all day Saturday.

The current Broadcast line-up is as follows, all times ET…

Monday, Aug 10, 8 PM - Roy Jones, Jr vs. Glen Kelly (February 2, 2002)
Jones puts his hands behind his back, sticks his chin out, then knocks Kelly out with one punch in what Jones calls the "Chicken Wang" punch

Tuesday, Aug. 11, 8 PM - Roy Jones, Jr vs. Antonio Tarver (November 8, 2003)
Jones drops twenty pounds from his previous fight in this gutty performance to beat Tarver and regain the light heavyweight world title he gave up to fight at heavyweight

Wednesday, Aug. 12, 8 PM - Roy Jones, Jr vs. John Ruiz (March 1, 2003)
In an awesome display of both speed and power, Jones makes history when he stymies then-heavyweight world champion John Ruiz to become the first former middleweight champion in over 100 years to win the heavyweight world title

Thursday, Aug. 13, 8 PM - Roy Jones, Jr vs. Felix Trinidad (January 19, 2008)
A sharp and focused Jones, fighting at his lowest weight since '96, floors the legendary Trinidad twice en-route to a unanimous decision win.

Friday, Aug. 14, 8 PM - Roy Jones, Jr vs. Omar Sheika (March 21, 2009)
Jones Jr trains with dad, "Big Roy," for first time since amateur days and shows flash not seen since the Ruiz fight in 2003. Sheika gets stopped for the first time as a pro on round 7.

Friday, Aug. 14, 8:30 PM - Jeff Lacy vs. Robin Reid (August 6, 2005)
In front of Lacy's hometown crowd in Tampa, Lacy knocks down Reid, who had never been dropped, not once but four times en-route to a brutal TKO 7 win

trips

Sicc OG
Feb 8, 2006

"I will say it again – if Juan Manuel Lopez is the great champion you say he is, he will step up and fight me. This is a fight for the fans and the sport of boxing, and if Lopez cares about his reputation and legacy, this should be the only fight he’s thinking of. Just because Lopez comes from the island that produced great Puerto Rican champions like Felix Trinidad, Wilfred Benitez, Wilfredo Gomez, and Miguel Cotto doesn’t mean he’s one of them yet. Those champions never ducked a challenge. Don’t let him disgrace them by being the first. And yes Orlando, I will go to Puerto Rico to fight Lopez, so you can talk all you want, but if you go to Bob Arum and tell him you want this fight, I know he will get it done" - celestino caballero

Caballero: “I'll Break Juanma's Mouth in Puerto Rico”

By Mark Vester

WBA/IBF super bantamweight champion Celestino Caballero continues to bait WBO champ Juan Manuel Lopez. Caballero has called Juanma every name in the book and now he is willing to face the Puerto Rican fighter on his own ground. He says Juanma is being protected by his handlers from real challenges.

"I am going to break his mouth but I want it to be in Puerto Rico so the people there can be convinced that he is a not a champion, a fraud to the crown, only fights in his country and he is protected," Caballero told ESPN Deportes.

Caballero has no fear of facing Juan in Puerto Rico. He loves to take big fights in hostile territory.

"They call me the champion traveler. I took a unification fight in Canada and beat a Canadian. I went to the house of the number one fighter in Thailand and I also had a great knockout. If Janma wants it, I'll break his mouth before his fans in Puerto Rico," Caballero said.
please make this shit happen, would b a classic!

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
I wouldn't mind seeing Caballero fighting Bernard Dunne. Since Caballero has proven he's down to fight anywhere it shouldn't be much trouble to make this fight happen .. especially since Dunne just out gunned one of the two guys that beat Caballero.

Juanma has shown that he really doesn't want this fight. He said he wouldn't fight Caballero unless he gets a guaranteed million and neither of these guys are at that star point. It's a shame too cause a win over Caballero can go a long way ..

Also if anyone hasn't checked out Caballero's fight against Mathebula, you should. It's weird seeing Caballero fight a guy just as tall as he was .. turned out to be a pretty good, extremely close fight.

May 13, 2002
Seattle
www.socialistworld.net
Juanma vs Caballero: Lopez Sets Aside January Date

By Mark Vester

The pressure of Celestino Caballero, and the boxing public, has finally broken through to Juan Manuel Lopez. For months, Caballero has been attacking Juanma in the press and the Puerto Rican fighter has not responded but recently he spoke with the press and said that he was setting aside a date of January 23, 2010 for a unification with Caballero. Juanma will risk his WBO title and Caballero will put up his WBA/IBF belts. If the fight doesn't happen, Juanma is looking at a move to featherweight to challenge the winner of Steven Luevano's upcoming WBO title defense against Bernabe Concepcion.

"I am willing to fight Caballero whenever, but first his promoters have to sit down to speak with mine. I have listened to Caballero and not said anything, so I hope that when the fight comes, he backs up everything that he says. I am going to knock him out. He won't make it past the eight round," Juanma told Primera Hora.

If the fight comes together, Juanma is willing to postpone his move to featherweight until next June. Juanma returns on October 10 against Rogers Mtagwa in New York and Caballero faces Francisco Leal on August 29 in Mexico.

Jul 24, 2005
Timothy Bradley-Amir Khan Unification Fight &quot;On The Horizon&quot; Says Frank Warren

by James Slater - A world title fight unification is always a good thing for the sport, and according to top British promoter Frank Warren, one could soon be coming up in the 140-pound weight class, with the fighter he promotes in Amir Khan taking on rival light-welterweight ruler Timothy Bradley. Khan, who, according to his promoter "arrived on the world stage" with his points win over Adreas Kotelnik last month, would be attempting to add Bradley's WBO crown to the WBA strap he took from the Ukrainian. It's still very early days, and so far Warren has only spoken about the fight, but he did go as far as to say that the match-up is "on the horizon.."

Bradley, unbeaten in 25 pro outings and coming off a controversial stoppage win over Nate Campbell, would likely start favourite over the once-beaten 22-year-old from Bolton. However, due to the improvements he's clearly made since hooking up with ace trainer Freddie Roach and moving up in weight, Khan would be in with a genuine chance of winning. Fans could expect a top quality boxing match/chess match if the fight were signed, and it's debatable who the faster boxer is between the two champions.

Both men are quick and throw lots of punches, and it's safe to say Bradley-Khan would not be a boring affair. The venue the fight takes place at will be an interesting factor. Bradley, as he proved when coming to the UK to relieve Junior Witter of his WBC belt last year, is not afraid to travel, but would Khan perhaps relish the idea of making his debut in America in this prospective fight? Maybe.

The man who now holds the WBC crown, Devon Alexander, would have something to say about it, but the winner of Bradley-Khan could make some claim to being the best title holder at 140-pounds. Bradley must first fight the unbeaten Lamont Peterson (his mandatory challenger), but it's almost a certainty that "Desert Storm" would jump at the chance to face Khan - and Alexander, come to that.

Wherever and whenever it takes place (the sooner the better), let's hope Bradley Vs. Khan does indeed get made. The light-welterweight division, still a distant second to the welterweight division in terms of available super-fights, is in pretty good shape these days. And it's thanks largely to talented and hungry fighters like Bradley, Khan and Alexander that this is the case. Indeed, between these three champions alone, there is the potential for some excellent fights in the coming months.

Jul 24, 2005
Carl Froch Says That His A-Game is Still There

By Terence Dooley

Carl Froch has insisted that age is just a number, and that he is about to enter the peak years of his career. Froch, 32, turned professional relatively late, aged 27, and the Nottingham fighter has told Sky Sports that he is still at the top of his game.

“I've kept a diary since I turned pro and it logs every run, every sit-up, every sparring session I've ever had and how I've felt mentally after each session,” said Froch. “Basically, the diaries record every punch I've thrown in my pro career. Every training session gets recorded and it means I can look back and see how I'm progressing - not just through an individual training camp but through my entire career”

He continued: “I've compared the times and stats with stuff I've been doing in the gym through the years and I'm still improving on them so I'm getting better and better. I honestly don't believe I've reached my peak yet and the diaries back that up.”

Froch is in training ahead of his showdown with undefeated American Andre Dirrell this October; the fight will see Froch defend his WBC super-middleweight title in front of his Nottingham fans, as Carl aims to make an impressive start to the Super Six tournament