Bay Rap is dead

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 16, 2002
I personally think if the material coming out was really good / hot, people would not download (wanting to listen to it first, see if it's worth buying). Back in the mid to late 90's (of course downloading was not the thing), but the music coming out was good. Now a days, 98.5% of it is in fact garbage hyped up to be the hottest shit out.

And it's true, there are a lot more rappers than there are real fans today. It's like everybody rushing out to paint cars, do construction, weld etc etc...because it's the latest craze. Just because you have a paint gun & compressor, a painters booth and overalls doesn't make you a good painter. Ever since you could load a recording program into your computer everybody became a rapper and business man. When in fact over half of these muthaphuckaz couldn't sell one cup of ice cold lemonaide for 25 cents on a summer day.

Jul 3, 2003
here we go with another thread about Bay Area rap. Look, there are tons of garbage ass rappers, with garbage ass tracks flooding the bay, but there is also tons of hot shit, from the big names to the smaller names. Its all about taking your time to listen to what everyone has to offer, and giving it a chance. I have a shitload of older bay cds from the 90's and when I play some of them, I realize that some of the music today is better, and the bay is moving in the right direction. Thizz Ent is a good example of making money without completely selling out

May 16, 2002
here we go with another thread about Bay Area rap. Look, there are tons of garbage ass rappers, with garbage ass tracks flooding the bay, but there is also tons of hot shit, from the big names to the smaller names. Its all about taking your time to listen to what everyone has to offer, and giving it a chance.

I think the chance was given plenty of times over the years when people bought Cd's. People just got tired of buying Cd's with one good song, or the Cd having recycled tracks. The Hustler became the Con-Man, the difference being that a Hustler gives the people what they want and will stick around & step his game up to make more money. Hence a Con-Man is out to make a quick buck and dissapear to new spots where he is not known...start fresh on new suckers.

As far as garbage music, rap, rappers etc etc...it's not just in the Bay (in the Bay's defence), it happening in every city / small town across America and on to the rest of the world.

Jun 17, 2002
Keep downloading music in general or was that at me, i have over 2500 bay cd's and been in the bay music since 89. The music that comes out this year is not good at all, maybe a few cd's but in point there isnt good quility at all? i like the jacka and all that, but there just any music that gets exposer! Most the people that responed with the shutt the fuck upp it aint dead shit, are most likly the ones that cant rap at all and flooded the bay a few years back, ive been on this board for a long time, and even befor that was on the OG BART board in like 97! So i would love to have rap back in the bay, but it just seems like its flooded with crap and people that cant rap? I dunno may be wrong, just how it seems

Apr 17, 2008
I'm glad bay aint on mainstream. What the rappers should really do is just do it for the fans anyway, they make pleanty money other ways. Oakland is too ghetto for mainstream. :p Dude, watch the fucking e-40 tell me when to go video, and that is some fuckin sick hyphy ghetto ass shit. sideshows goin man that video is off the hook actually.

The only good release this year was starters in the game, although the were already dre songs i heard before i didnt hear the ones from fab and dubee.

Dec 2, 2006
good info 70 sav.

very interesting and probably true. but bay rap isnt dead, like it was said it is flooded with garbage but theres still quality music being put out. whats dead is album sales! too bad fans cant support the artists that bring fire and deserve some real soundscan numbers!

Dec 21, 2005
YOU SEE THE THANG IS...

good music in general is almost completely dead, doesnt matter what kind or where its from, east west north south rap r&b whatever the fuck, none a that shits as good as it used to be

May 16, 2002
ONLY a handful of bay area rappers will ever be famous or notable or even recognizable at 7-11.

Bay Rap ain't dead. It's like anything, not everyone is going to blow-up. Most people are NOT EVER GOING TO BLOW UP.
True, so be careful who you paying for verses. Even if things look promising for that artist remember, at this point his chances are about as good as yours to blow up. Okay, so he may have a little more push behind him, get your grind though.

Another thing, a lot of rappers are charging for verses because they are cosidered "hot" at the moment (on a underground level) etc etc...game has been taken from 2Pac back in the early / mid 90's around the time he was shot in NY. Pac was charging for verses...EXCEPT! PAC WAS ALREADY SIGNED TO A MAJOR AT THE TIME (WARNER BROS. / TIME WARNER). HAD A HIT UNDER HIS BELT ALREADY (I GET AROUND) FROM HIS PREVIOUS ALBUM "STRICKLY FOR MY NI**AZ". AND ALREADY HAD A VIDEO IN ROTATION ON MTV!

...so if anybody is killing the rap game, it's a bunch of promising rappers that perhaps won't ever blow up, or come close to on a major level. Yet, we have a lot of people that make a bunch of nobody's (with all due respect) sound like the next biggest rap super star. When in fact he's just a dude tryin' to make it to the majors like everybody else.

People claiming he's eatting, or the rappers claiming they gotta eat, shit I gotta eat too (although, I could skip a few meals huh? LOL!!!!) and my kids gotta eat. But I'll be dammed if I let anybody that claims he's a upcoming star eat off my kids plate...fuck that. Sell that to somebody else.

Unless you see platinum, gold, or some kind of buzz on a major level? You better save your money cause chances are you just paid a regular Joe off the street that people said was a upcoming star.

Mar 1, 2006
I don't begrudge any person who charges for their services, that's just business, but I honestly do not understand why one rapper would BUY verses from another. It makes absolutely NO SENSE. If you think people are gonna run out and buy your ENTIRE album due to the fact that you have 16 bars of the next man's voice on your shit then you're deluding yourself. A lot of cats just need to be honest with themselves. The only reason they're payin for these verses is because they want to name drop. In other words they just want to validate to other people all the time and effort that they are wasting in their absolutely futile pursuit of rap music as a career. They want to APPEAR that they have reached a certain plateau in the game by mere association. Trying to ride to fame off the next niggaz bigness.

In reality payin for verses is a just a vanity purchase. It's TRICKIN pure and simple. You are payin to rub shoulders with those that you CAN'T, without breaking bread. It's no different than an ugly muthafucka payin a fine ass prostitute for tha yoc. He could never get a fine ass broad without out dough and she would never fuck him if it wasn't for the money.

To those of you lames who are trying to run this old tired ass game I tell you this: The record buying public is a lot more savvy these days so you're not fooling anyone but yourselves. Customers aren't a stupid as you think they are. They realize what your attempting to do and I think most of them are beginning to feel insulted by some of your elementary plots and schemes to separate them from their hard earn dollars. Why would they want to take a chance on buying an album from a cat who needs a another artist or a gang of features to prop them up up and give them credibility? Shouldn't you have already earned that through your own talent or bigness? Do the math... If you need X to add to your Y to equal Z... then you're not Z. Youre just plain ole' Y. After you've finally come to this conclusion then THAT is exactly what you should start askin yourself. Y? or in other words... WHY? WHY am I wasting my time? WHY am I wasting everyone else's time. WHY am I in the way?