Bay Rap is dead

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

El D

Sicc OG
Mar 7, 2006
and anyone claiming that 40's last album was full of hyphy joints must be out of his damn mind...there were only 3-4 tracks that could be considered "hyphy"... the rest of the album was on some modern day mob shit....

May 12, 2002
dope.st
On some real shit the Bay Rap scene ain't dead....it's just floooooooded with hella dudes jumpin on a gimmick. Dudes ain't really being themselves.....everybody on the same blueprint. Back in the day dudes was doing themselves.....Waaay different styles......you could tell the difference
Realest thing that been said on this thread. On the real it ain't dead but no one is coming with any originality anymore. When Hyphy was poppin off it was nice but now its just horrible how everyone trying to be like the next man, its like the formula for putting out a CD has just got too stale and automatic.

The music hasn't evolved for a minute now, it's been tired for a year or two. Everyone did their own thang wit the mobb music, it evolved on to something way cleaner like when Quinn dropped I Give You My Word and Keak dropped Copium, but then just as they was all stepping their game up, Hyphy hit hard.

And Hyphy is dope for the most part, but it made a lot of people complacent, suddenly a lotta cats could jump on a fad rather than keep progressing with their own sounds and innovating. And it was fun for a while, but now it's like shit, we need some of these dudes to bring it back to where they were at.

Bay Rap ain't dead, that's just a line to catch peoples attention, but people on the gimmick tip need to fall back to let others breathe. There is plenty of good hyphy music but everyone else needs to do themselves. People like DJ Fresh are innovating and they're the ones who can re-energize the music.

Feb 16, 2006
www.thebayisback.com
at all:ermm:

pluse the beat makers that are out now is just str-8 up trash

i like ro lo shit tho no doubt for these other niggaz space synthersizers and shit

is getting old
Wacha think of the production on Berner & Jacka's album and the Errlevent album? I thought both had quality beats....not on some "I wanna make a beat that sounds like errythang on the radio" type shit.

Jun 25, 2005
To me Bay rap always seems to go in cycles....there was a time when dudes was fuckin up the mobb shit and compilations were gettin weak ass fuck...nobody was comin original wit beats or subject matter so they started samplin shit thats been hella played already(the pre-mixtape era)LOL....then the hyphy shit brought the Bay back up and now its goin thru another drought full of unoriginality....so I'm countin on another revival....IDK maybe 3rd or 4th quarter 08? LOL

Dec 4, 2006
rap/hip hop is not dead at all..

the problem is that the rap/hip hop game is saturated with too many over night rappers/mc's or whatever they call themselves now a days.

Blame myspace for giving the wack fucks a chance to think they can rap, I don't think downloading music is the problem at all. The problem is the competition thats out there, the whole rap/hip hop industry is fucked up because the money the people want to make for their music.

Alot of these artist forgot one simple thing, which is make music for the love of hip hop. Now they make music for the love of money, money that most of these artist don't see because they put out 1 good track and the rest of the album is garbage.

Another problem is, most of these artist don't want to spend the money to put out quality engineered music no more. They buy a PC, a cheap mic, some PC audio programs and they make their shitty beats with shitty quality.

But on the reals, IF YOU AN ARTIST AND YOU WANT US TO BUY YOUR MUSIC. SPEND SOME CASH SO YOUR CD CAN HAVE THE TOP NOTCH QUALITY SOUND, TRUST ME...YOU HAVE THAT AND PEOPLE WILL START BUYING CD's AGAIN.

Feb 13, 2004
part of the problem is we got too many old timers still in the game, making things look stale for everyone else. How many more songs can you make about how things used to be back in 93? That old mobb style is gonna completely die out due to the fact its not as ghetto in the bay as it used to be. No disrespect to those dudes because they are legends, but i think its time to make way for some new blood.

but yea, things are looking A LOT better than they were a year ago.....jacka keeping us afloat until we regroup
MOBB MUSIC WILL LIVE FOREVER HOMIE.

Mar 1, 2006
Bay rap ain't dead but it's definitely in critical condition and in need of life support. The number one problem is... too many producers and not enough consumers. Every swangin' dick is runnin' around thinkin' that he's the next Rapper slash CEO slash Producer who is gonna turn Hip hop on it's head, and that The Bay would be back, "if we would just support our artist like they do down South". The problem with these scenarios is that 99% of these jokers are hot boo boo on the mic and what's worse is that they're business skills are even more garbage. I think this stems from the fact that like it or not, in The Bay Area, hating is fundamental, and that The Bay breeds that special type of disrespect that says that, "If THAT nigga can do it, I KNOW I can do better". For the last time... IT AINT ALWAYS AS EASY AS IT LOOKS! What's funny about it, is that alot of these jokers jump into the game after seeing some scrub who's frontin' like he's really doin' it (ie. comin out of pocket to buy shit then flossin' it and claiming he got it through unit sales), and then realizing they aint cut out for it but repeating the same vicious cycle. As for the The Bay supporting it's artists... why should they? The artists don't support The Bay. There's nary a rap muthafucka out here that I know who aint makin the majority of their albums off of free shit, thereby putting the bay areas professional photographers, graphic artists, producers, engineers, etc., etc... out of business, and I don't see none of 'em trying to give back to the community in any way shape or form with the dough they do make when the bay does decide to spend it's hard earned dough on their releases.

Second biggest problem with Bay Area hip Hop is the subpar level of quality and creativity and the lack of true understanding of the game itself. Back In the day when cats used to try and sound and swag like other cats they had a name for it... BITING, and it was thoroughly frowned upon. Nowadays the shit is pretty much rampant in The Bay. Fools need to get some originality going and stop swangin' on other men's nutz for real. Understand that trying to follow other successful artists blueprints to the letter is pretty much a guarantee that you are NOT going to make it. Dig it, as artists and companies you have to realize that a consumers only have so much to spend on music, so if a consumer decides to spend his dollar on YOUR release then THAT my friend is a dollar out of some OTHER artist's or label's pocket. The Majors know this and that is why they give out deals to artists who sell units. See it is entirely in their best interest to have control over, and knowledge of those independents that slip through the cracks and are able to find alternative means of outselling them. Once they have you signed they have access to your books and can figure out exactly how you're doing what you're doing, and start setting up ways to STOP those that would follow in your footsteps. Diabolical you say? Yes, but then business is business and you would do well to remember that. You can't come to a gunfight with a butterknife.
Stop with all these copycat business schemes. Learn the FUNDAMENTALS of business then formulate your own plans. You may surprise yourself and everyone else.

Third biggest problem is mentalities like this:

part of the problem is we got too many old timers still in the game, making things look stale for everyone else. How many more songs can you make about how things used to be back in 93? That old mobb style is gonna completely die out due to the fact its not as ghetto in the bay as it used to be.
How the fuck you gonna tell a nigga who helped to create something that he can no longer take part in it?
Young niggas kill me. I swear they think the sun shines out they ass. It's this self absorbed type of bullshit that ran the Bay Area Hip Hop train off the tracks. We had a good thing going with Mobb Music. Shit the entire world was feelin' The Bay. Instead of allowing it to evolve NATURALLY into something even better though, some young niggas basically tried to run in and hijack shit and change it all overnight. The rest of the world is wondering what fuck happened to the bay sound they know and love and now all of a sudden instead of the bay being synonymous with Pimps and Playaz leanin in covertible Eldogs, its synonymous with dummies in multicolored clown fits, ridin in retarded yellow busses, and jumpin around like drunk kangarickets. Don't get me wrong, there was nothin wrong with the Thizz or Hyphy movements except for the fact that as usual young niggas had to WAAAAAY overdo shit. But see thats what young niggas do. If you're young and you've ever been left alone in the house for a couple of days, or if you're older and you ever LEFT a young nigga alone in your house for a couple of days then you know what I mean. As far as I can see that is exactly what happened with Bay Rap, the young niggas was left in charge for a minute and the results speak for themselves. When you're young you think every song you make is the shit because you have nothing to compare it to, and it's common sense that you wouldn't MAKE something if you didn't think it was tight. Problem is it aint tight, but you aint tryin to hear what the rest of the world is telling you cause in your youth and arrogance you're too busy smellin yourself.

Apr 7, 2006
The rest of the world is wondering what fuck happened to the bay sound they know and love and now all of a sudden instead of the bay being synonymous with Pimps and Playaz leanin in covertible Eldogs, its synonymous with dummies in multicolored clown fits, ridin in retarded yellow busses, and jumpin around like drunk kangarickets. Don't get me wrong, there was nothin wrong with the Thizz or Hyphy movements except for the fact that as usual young niggas had to WAAAAAY overdo shit. But see thats what young niggas do. If you're young and you've ever been left alone in the house for a couple of days, or if you're older and you ever LEFT a young nigga alone in your house for a couple of days then you know what I mean. As far as I can see that is exactly what happened with Bay Rap, the young niggas was left in charge for a minute and the results speak for themselves. When you're young you think every song you make is the shit because you have nothing to compare it to, and it's common sense that you wouldn't MAKE something if you didn't think it was tight. Problem is it aint tight, but you aint tryin to hear what the rest of the world is telling you cause in your youth and arrogance you're too busy smellin yourself.
LOL ... sounds like the youngsters need to be grounded...

Jun 18, 2007
The Bay music isn't dead, but with a very unsure industry, downloading, MySpace and it being the era of the ringtone rapper its a terrible time to try and be a hip-hop artist for a living. Now on top of that the Bay is coming with some shitty new music and for those wishing for that old mobb sound the Bay and the rest of the little parts of the country that cared got sick of that shit too.

Jan 22, 2007
The Bay music isn't dead, but with a very unsure industry, downloading, MySpace and it being the era of the ringtone rapper its a terrible time to try and be a hip-hop artist for a living. Now on top of that the Bay is coming with some shitty new music and for those wishing for that old mobb sound the Bay and the rest of the little parts of the country that cared got sick of that shit too.
True....However, entertainers are still more regarded and earn more money than 99% of the population so why not give it a shot???

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Take a look around bro. Bay rap is alive and kicking. It may be evolving, but to say it is dead is completely fallacious. If it was dead, you think any threads would be up here? You think Jacka would be selling out venues around the Bay? You think Ya Boy would be buzzing around the country? You think Keak would be featuring Prodigy of Mobb Deep and The Alkemist on his new CD? What about Mistah F.A.B.? Dude was #3 on 106 and Park yesterday and still climbing. If Bay rap was dead would he be freestylin' with a legend like Supernatural at a huge convention in Chicago? Bay rap is alive and kicking. All you gotta do is open your eyes to see, and perk up your ears to hear it slapping all around the country. Is Bay rap as acknowledged or respected as I would like? No. But it is certainly doing it's best to mature and become a mainstay region in the game. Bay Rap needs the support of those in the area to lift it up to become even greater. Haters like you are ignorant and detrimental to the area's well being. When the Bay eventually gets what it deserves I can't wait to here you repping that shit.
actually these are all signs that Bay Rap is dead, believe it or not

you just have to think about it a little bit deeper