Bay Rap is dead

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 11, 2006
YEAH HOUSTON GOT PAUL WALL WICH IS WHITE AND DETROIT GOT EMINEM WICH IS WHITE TOO BUT THEY ARE A RARE BREED OF RAPPERS THAT GREW UP IN THE GHETTO WITH BLACKS, IN THE BAY YOU GOT BLACKS GROWING UP WITH ASIANS AND WHITES IN A SUBURB TRYING TO BE ALL HARD AND SHIT WICH SOME ARE BUT THERE MUSIC IS STILL WEAK

Feb 11, 2006
WE HAVE TO TAKE IT BACK TO OAKLAND AND RICHMOND , MAKE VIDEOS IN THE THE GHETTOS OF OAKLAND AND RICHMOND WERE THE REAL SHIT HAPPENS WITH THE REAL INHABITANTS THAT GO THREW THIS SUFFERING ON A DAILY BASIS, NOT A FUCKIN DUDE IN SAN MATEO RAPPING ABOUT CRIME THAT DOESNT HAPPEND IN HIS CITY, WE NEED TO STICK WITH OAKLAND AND RICHMOND AND OTHER BLACK COMMUNITIES IN THE BAY OR ELSE NOBODY WILL GIVE A FUCK ABOUT SOMEONE COMING FROM SANJOSE OR NOVATO OR WEREVER THESE WACK ASS WANNA BE RAPPERS COME FROM

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
It's not dead, it just kinda sucks for the most part.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good artists still around, like most of the ones Swervin named.

But what happened to the Mobb shit? The thick, rhythmatic beats.. the street shit. Now it's a bunch of clown shit that has no gangster appeal to it in the sense that the stuff from the 90's have. I keep hearing "everything has to evolve", and I say, fuck no it doesn't if artists don't let it. This hyphy shit is boring as a mother fucker. Mac Dre is the only one who did it right imo. E-40's hyphy style is a joke. If his new album has hyphy shit it will be just as shitty as Ghetto Report Card was. So for fucks sake I hope he has mobb style, street shit.. Studio ton type of deals..

Jan 18, 2006
just like when cats were saying the bay is back, it never went any where. I mean the Mob Figaz just by themselves are keeping the bay alive, then you got F.A.B who ive never really liked but is bout to blow the fuck up.

Jan 4, 2003
www.myspace.com

Don't get me wrong, there are some good artists still around, like most of the ones Swervin named.

But what happened to the Mobb shit? The thick, rhythmatic beats.. the street shit. Now it's a bunch of clown shit that has no gangster appeal to it in the sense that the stuff from the 90's have. I keep hearing "everything has to evolve", and I say, fuck no it doesn't if artists don't let it. This hyphy shit is boring as a mother fucker. Mac Dre is the only one who did it right imo. E-40's hyphy style is a joke. If his new album has hyphy shit it will be just as shitty as Ghetto Report Card was. So for fucks sake I hope he has mobb style, street shit.. Studio ton type of deals..
Just wait til my singles come out I got some things lined up.

Jun 27, 2005
WE NEED MORE RAPPERS COMING FROM OAKLAND,RICHMOND,VALLEJO,HUNTER POINT AREA AND EPA, WE NEED MORE real BLACK GANGSTAS TAKING OVER AND NOT HAVE INDIANS AND ASIANS TRYING TO ACT LIKE THEY FROM THE HOOD AND MAKING OUR AREA LOOK LIKE SOME WANNABEES NO DISRESPECT TO INDIANS AND ASIANS BUT THEMEJORITY DONT LIVE IN AREAS LIKE OAKLAND AND RICHMOND WERE THE REAL SHIT GOES DOWN WICH TRANSFER INTO REAL LIFE GANGSTA RAP MUSIC WICH WE ALL USE TO LOVE.
Naw we need LESS rappers. Nowadays its more rappers than fans.

Mar 30, 2006
tooo many rappers and not enough balcks and latins in the bay no more!! the bay iz gonna cater to the ASIANS and whites now!! and thats POP music! even the blacks and latins the youngsters iz goni mainstrem! so whatever there iz left in the bay the BAY RAPPERS can get!! but its dwindelin! good luck!
yeah we need more "balcks"

Nov 2, 2002
part of the problem is we got too many old timers still in the game, making things look stale for everyone else. How many more songs can you make about how things used to be back in 93? That old mobb style is gonna completely die out due to the fact its not as ghetto in the bay as it used to be. No disrespect to those dudes because they are legends, but i think its time to make way for some new blood.

but yea, things are looking A LOT better than they were a year ago.....jacka keeping us afloat until we regroup

May 8, 2003
On some real shit the Bay Rap scene ain't dead....it's just floooooooded with hella dudes jumpin on a gimmick. Dudes ain't really being themselves.....everybody on the same blueprint. Back in the day dudes was doing themselves.....Waaay different styles......you could tell the difference between an artist by the music behind the lyrics a mac dre beat sounded hella differnet from a too short, 11/5, rbl posse, E40, luniz, celly cel, spice 1, IMP, messy marv, san quinn, ray luv, mac mall, seagram, delinquents, etccc...beat.....All these new artists are not evolving and seperating themselves with there own distinct style.....producers. Got to admit that there are a few here and there doing the damn thing. step up^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nov 2, 2002
On some real shit the Bay Rap scene ain't dead....it's just floooooooded with hella dudes jumpin on a gimmick. Dudes ain't really being themselves.....everybody on the same blueprint. Back in the day dudes was doing themselves.....Waaay different styles......you could tell the difference between an artist by the music behind the lyrics a mac dre beat sounded hella differnet from a too short, 11/5, rbl posse, E40, luniz, celly cel, spice 1, IMP, messy marv, san quinn, ray luv, mac mall, seagram, delinquents, etccc...beat.....All these new artists are not evolving and seperating themselves with there own distinct style.....producers. Got to admit that there are a few here and there doing the damn thing. step up^^^^^
thats true........
as recently as 2004, each part of the bay had its own distinct sound. You could easily tell what town someone came on just by hearing their album. "oh, thats hella pittsburg style" or "that is some vallejo shit" etc..... That aint happenin no more. Actually, the same thing happened nationwide, the bay was just a microcosm of what myspace and shit did to rap

Feb 12, 2003

I agree with you 100%. I didnt like Ghetto Report Card. So many people will probably come with that dont hate on 40 shit. I love E40 and alot of stuff he has done but i just dont like most his recent shit. Hope he has a different sound. I think why Mac Dre sounded so good with a"hyphy" style too is because he blended a nice mix of hyphy dance shit and gangster lyrics to where you could feel his albums on both levels. Like the first two songs on Ronald Dreagan "Feelin MYself" total party club song and then "Fa MY Niggaz" which is more of a hood song lyricwise with an his kind of upbeat flow yet he was spitting cutthoat shit. Personally i dont think the bay has been the same since dre left. Everytime he was on a song with yuk or keak or anyone it seemed like everyone came harder like he brought the best out of them. I know people also say that bay music has to evolve and it cant go back to the 90s or whatnot but the sound can evolve from hyphy and thats what i want to say. Because its just a bandwagon and i think alot of people are realizing how old it is now. Get the cutthoat lyrics back with some fresh new beats that arent so hyphy but clean and made with new technology that wasnt around in the 90s.

Ohh yeah and Bay Rap is not dead. The artists that are great in the bay. Will still shit on 50 cent Fat Joe Rick Ross etc. IMO its not as good as it used to be but you never know what will happen. There is still music out here that is the freshest in the world. You just have to weed through the bullshit.

PS Buy CD's if you listen to them and like them go buy them so your favorite artist can keep making good albums. I mean i see the music they amke as a BIG favor and uplifting things to many peoples lives so return the favor and pay the 13 bucks. Most record stores you can sample albums before you buy them so not "knowing the quality" is no excuse.

May 5, 2005
WE HAVE TO TAKE IT BACK TO OAKLAND AND RICHMOND , MAKE VIDEOS IN THE THE GHETTOS OF OAKLAND AND RICHMOND WERE THE REAL SHIT HAPPENS WITH THE REAL INHABITANTS THAT GO THREW THIS SUFFERING ON A DAILY BASIS, NOT A FUCKIN DUDE IN SAN MATEO RAPPING ABOUT CRIME THAT DOESNT HAPPEND IN HIS CITY, WE NEED TO STICK WITH OAKLAND AND RICHMOND AND OTHER BLACK COMMUNITIES IN THE BAY OR ELSE NOBODY WILL GIVE A FUCK ABOUT SOMEONE COMING FROM SANJOSE OR NOVATO OR WEREVER THESE WACK ASS WANNA BE RAPPERS COME FROM
That shit has been done 1 million times already. It's played out, old, and stereotypical. Not all blacks in Richmond and Oakland are poor and in the "ghetto". There are all types of hiphop and all types of Black People. You can only rap about so many guns and murders and coke sales. That shit is played the fuck out. Not every in the hood is on some illegal activity bullshit. Grow up. You sound like a white boy fascinated by ghetto life.

Oct 28, 2003
who cares...
when it comes down to it...rappers should just make music they like
and hopefully somebody else will like it to
True...But when they do that the people are so programed to follow they shun the ones who try to break loose if they are not "reppin" the right way. They might get hit with the "that's not ______ enough". People say they want something different until it comes and they become afraid and run to their little safe zone...something they can "trust". I think that the Bay act that says fuck the Bay and it's stuck in mobb or hyphy ass sound will be the one who can liberate this area from itself, because the Bay and the majority of it artist making the same ass songs and sounds is what is killing the bay.

El D

Sicc OG
Mar 7, 2006
No disrespect, but shut the fuck up with that shit, you obviously ain't looking in the right places for good music or even trying, stop fucking listening to the radio, buy a CD, pop it in the stereo and listen to the whole album all the way through not just the singles. You need some good mixtapes, they got hella blogs and sites out there to update you on them, ain't no excuse at all for not enjoying bay rap at any time, same with any area's music.
Naw we need LESS rappers. Nowadays its more rappers than fans.
That shit has been done 1 million times already. It's played out, old, and stereotypical. Not all blacks in Richmond and Oakland are poor and in the "ghetto". There are all types of hiphop and all types of Black People. You can only rap about so many guns and murders and coke sales. That shit is played the fuck out. Not every in the hood is on some illegal activity bullshit. Grow up. You sound like a white boy fascinated by ghetto life.
best 3 posts in this thread so far