bay blowing up?....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
M.O.B. Boss said:
The big words with no valid points = tadou....
Im done arguing with you. Aright, your philosophically superior, you don't take low blows, your brilliant, and your the next hot act to hit the world rap scene.

And I agree with Peete 100% on Done Deal...you guys need some distribution and promotion though, Im not sure how well Done Deal Fam sold but most of it had to be word of mouth because while I was in the bay I didnt see any promotion anywhere and I couldnt even find it when Im in school in SD.

Doxx

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
strivin.com
MrPeete said:

*a moment of silence for the career of Pretty Willie*
I lost all interest in this thread days ago because of certain people pissin' at each other, but this quote at least gave me a good laugh. Poor Pretty Willie. LOL

Brutal Dion, brutal.

Nov 28, 2002
ILL TELL YOU ONE THING, IF THE BAY DOES "BLOW UP" ALL THESE RAPPERS WE ENJOY TALKING TO HERE ON SICCNESS WONT HAVE THE TIME FOR US ANYMORE. BUT FUCK IT, ITS WORTH IT. WHOS GOT THE POTENTIAL TO GO BIG? I SAY 11/5 CAN LEAD THE WAY.

Apr 25, 2002
I dont know about 11/5. I mean, they obviously have shown they have talent but their last dope album was six years ago...I think the bay will be heading in the direction of its established consistent artists (Yukmouth, Quinn, Mac Mall, Nickatina) and its up and coming talent as well (Riddla, Fully Loaded, Willie Henn, Kee, Cozmo, Louie Loc). I honestly think a lot of the rappers from the bay's so called Golden Days are headed for the hills cause its just about over, people are sick of waiting on their albums and being dissapointed when they come out.

But its really all about who's bringing the realest and most original shit to the table with their albums...you never know you might even see a BART artist or two coming up in the game, because although a lot of the rappers here arent as good as the OG's yet they are hungry and they work hard and for the most part they aren't trying to do some repetitive shit.

Jul 7, 2002
cdbaby.com
just a couple questions.... Mr. Peete, i absolutely agree with you about quinn not the others I havent heard enuff of them but what's taking quinn no long.. i mean if he's been out there and workin his ass off for so long, when is he going to blow... i mean i no it takes time but the man been on deck since he was like 15 or watever.. but i only bump him and some selected few...
\
for the folx sayin the bay will blow... who will blow first... e-4o has the most love and he barely gets radio play out here.. im just wondering.... u gotta have connections..right? where are ours?

Apr 25, 2002
www.mexica-movement.org
Rap as we knew it is in it's last days. It's becoming too pop. Props to all the folks keepin it real but shits gettin played out.
EMINEM HAS ALOT TO DO WITH RAP GOING DOWN HILL NOT TO MENTION NELLY & JA-RULE..BUT I AGREE WITH THIS POST 100%,I THINK ITS ALREADY HAPPENING WITH ROCK MAKING A HUGE COMEBACK...RAP USED TO BE SOMETHING FRESH AND NEW,ITS BECOME RECYCLED AND POP..

Mista CaNE

On the Rise
Apr 25, 2002
www.mistacane.com
I agree with Dion, on almost everything in this post. I agree it will be a select few not the "whole bay" and I agree that all of the artists he mentioned have heat. I don't think he's being biast I just think that those artists work so closely with him he gets to see a side of them we don't on a consistent basis. I also agree that Done Deal puts out some of if not thee best shit in the bay recently/and have since there birth of the label in 99? However to me it's like the same reason people hate the raiders.. most of there fans are hella ignorant and unrealistic, and so is the bay. I love the bay don't get me wrong but man.... it's hard to hustle music in a place thats full of hustlers. You sell a cd for 5 and the cats wanna pay 3.50. You get some stolen merchandise and try n sell it to someone for 20 bucks for like a ecko sweater or some shit and they wanna give you 10... etc you feel me? We DEFINITELY don't support our own... NOT just anyone im sayin we dont support our REAL artists with chances to make it. I bought e-40's last album not because i thought it could be tight or would be tight or should be tight, but because he is the only cat in a position to help get the shine back on this area (sad but true) as of right now. I'm just ramblin but anyway...

May 10, 2002
rap4rights - First off, fuck what anybody say about that flick wit you and Pac. Use that shit. It's a good picture... As far as Quinn goes, well shit, I don't know. The only thing that I can say is, when he finally does get there it'll make for a better story that it took so long. As far as the others that I mentioned, trust me, they got it. They just need the right material and that one big break to get em in the door.

A little off topic, I just gotta say I'll never understand why folks HATE Eminem so much. I know everyone has their tastes and all, but how is he responsible for rap goin down hill? That's like sayin the Williams Sisters are responsible for the decline in womens Tennis talent. If anything Eminem RAISED THE BAR and should be commended for that (as should the Williams Sisters). Yea yea, he's white and gets played on Rock Stations and MTV loves him and blah blah blah. BUT (and this is a big but folks) YOU CANNOT TAKE AWAY THE MANS TALENT.

I CHALLENGE ANYBODY WHO VOICES THEIR DISLIKE FOR EMINEM TO ELABORATE AS TO WHY YOU HATE HIM SO MUCH. It can't be his lack of skill, cause he will eat YOUR favorite rapper.

Anybody.... ?

May 10, 2002
tadou said:
Raised WHAT bar is the subject at hand. The rap bar or the white rap bar?
A) The Rap Bar. After Eminem came out, you could hear it in other cats lyrics that they had to tighten up a bit. Because around the when the Slim Shady LP came out, Nas was goin thru his identity crisis and I forget what Jay-Z was doin (not to slight Jay at all). Em changed the game because it was heading towards the bubble gum state that it's in now. Shit you had Nas doin shit wit Timbaland and Ginuwine around that time. He made cats focus back on lyrics. Did he not?

tadou said:
Example: Listen to Slim Shady LP and Eminem Show, and compare his styles; COMPLETELY different, i.e., the man is talented yet inconsistant.
[/B]
A true artist will ALWAYS re-invent himself/herself. Quincy Jones did it, Michael Jackson did it, Madonna is STILL doing it, Jay-Z does it, Nas tries (I still got love for Nas tho), and Eminem will continue to do it. I didn't care for The Eminem Show much either but I understood where he was going with it. Shit, I wasn't feelin the first BLUEPRINT when I first heard it but now that's my shit. Maybe I'll take a listen to The Eminem Show once again to see if anything's changed. If not, I always got the 8 Mile Soundtrack

3 minutes 12 seconds (but who's counting)

Jun 1, 2002
Eminem inconsistant?

No way. Eminem has consistantly gotten better ever since he started. His new LP might not be as good as the one before that, but his skills, delivery and style continue to evolve and elevate. Just listen to the pattern he spits on "Lose Yourself." Inconsistancy? Gotta disagree with you on that.

Now, you wanna talk about inconsistancy, look at Nas. His first LP was his best. Ever since then he has gone progressively downhill, (save for a few classic songs,) album-wise. Stillmatic was a step back in the right direction. God's Son was pretty sub-par for the potential Nas has and Nastradumus was horrible. It Was Written, and I am were aiight. Nas is inconsistant as hell.

May 19, 2002
www.federashun.com
All three are going down-hill in my opinion..... Jay-Z keeps calling himself Hova and the King, Nas is arguing agains (he's probably the best out of the three though and when he comes with heat, The Lost Tapes, he COMES WITH HEAT), Eminem has skills but is trying to sell records more than coming with the real heat like he used to. RAP not Eminem, Nelly, Jay-Z, ANYONE is getting booboo, I think the whole fuckin game isn't bein played right, in my humble opinion. The brainwashing has begun....... "you can't get your foot in the door with the skills anymore" era is now in full effect. Jay-Z put Ja Rule in his video back in the days and he STUNK then, and he stinks now. He just had that huge boost with a famous rapper and a record company behind him. Even 50 Cent, who I used to feel a little, he's doin the same shit (I'm ready for the arguing here). But real talk, "Me im no mobsta, me im no gangsta, im just me.. me" that aint the best shit I heard........ (Neither is "you aint no friend of mine, you aint no kin of mine".... this shit sounds JUST like Noreaga-type shit.....) Whatever, it's pointless to fuckin keep arguin cuz we ain't changin shit. We'll (the bay) keep on doin what we're doin and hopefully Arista or Columbia will pick up Quinn or Yukmouth will get his foot in the door with some sort of beef with someone.... (again, pathetic but fuck it whatever works)

May 10, 2002
I feel bad for Nas cause his FIRST album has to be in the Top 5 Hip Hop albums of all time. You can still put that mufucka on RIGHT NOW and it's the shit. Not too many records like that. No where to go but down from there, lol. Aint heard God's Son yet. Haven't heard one positive thing about it tho. Stillmatic was a good record tho.

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
I don't really see Eminem like that Tadou. It's of course your opinion and i'll respect it but I see it like this. The Eminem Show is my least favorite Eminem CD by far (SS EP and Infinite #1, then SSLP, then MM LP, then Soul Intent EP, then E.Show) but its definitely not what anyone did before. Style wise, possibly, but no one can touch Eminem's skill IN this specific style. It was a new sound for most people and definitely better than what was going on years ago. I believe Eminem's 4th CD will be similar to the Shady LP.

Infinite - Very happy positive hip hop sound.
SS EP - Some more intense songs.. D12 thrown in.. Eminem's life is doing 180's...
SS LP - Eminem steps up and dishes out some mean shit all around. Some party songs (cum on everybody), but the main theme of the CD is somewhat of a depressed one with cuts like Rock Bottom and J.D.G.A.Fuck.
MM LP - Pissed off and dissing everyone. Darkest CD...
Eminem Show - Happy again. Has Hailey back and Kim and Mom are idle for now. The most mainstream sounding of the CD's, and the most non-RAP. So I agree with you slightly on that... its close to an alternative hip hop genre.

So again, I think he will go back to the true Rap battle sound on his next CD. More lyrics similar to those that were seen on Infinite through SS LP, pure rhyming skills. Only time will tell...

Sorry for being off topic.

Apr 25, 2002
I gotta disagree with M.O.B. on Nas...his first album was the definition of a hip hop classic but he took his shit 360 with Stillmatic, in fact I actually like Stillmatic better. Nas is still on top of his game, The Lost Tapes was the shit and Godson was straight too.

As far Em, I agree with Dion. He's got skillz like a motherfucker...his only problem is he's all over the place, everywhere you turn theres an Eminem poster, a music video, a movie, a song on the radio, it's overkill. I was a little dissapointed with The Eminem Show but it was still dope and the 8 Mile Soundtrack is nice...

...as for the bay, we all seem to agree that a few folks will make it just wait and see..

Jul 20, 2002
hmmm what about artist like soul of mischef they blew up and if they drop another album they will do it. Also you got pharcyde they were tight. i dont know if ya'll like them but something else other then that gangsta shit lol. What about short cant for get about him. still making album and selling not major but selling he been feature on alot of shit (puff,biggie,8ball etc). Man all this aruguing will get you nowhere. I wish all these artist best of luck. Dont give up keep trying you might not make it til you 30 and some might not make it at all but keep ya head.

May 10, 2002
tadou said:
If my memory suits me, Jay-Z was selling millions and was one of the leading advocates of the newer-ish trend of multi-syllable rhyming (e.g. Eminem, Jadakiss, etc).
I'm not talking about the style. I'm talking lyrics and content. Fuck the style for right now. Not too cats was really doin those concept tracks before Eminem came along. He brought that shit to the table BIG. 96 Bonnie & Clyde changed shit. He wasn't just rappin, he was creating songs and stories! Even the way hip hop music was mixed changed because before Em the level of the vocal wasn't as prominent in hip hop as it was after he came out, which put more emphasis on the lyricist and his/her lyrics. With him it's not the style, it's the lyrics and the way he bends them words and the wit in which he bends them. I understand delivery is important, BUT, that's not what got Em over and it's not why he changed the game.

tadou said:
Also, CMR was on top at the time, and the Bling Bling raps were gaining popularity. However, with CMR's simple rhyme schemes and everyone else imitating them, it only made it SEEM as though Eminem came out of nowhere with a bar-raising style of rap, which is simply not the case.
Bullshit. Again, I'm talking about the style.

tadou said:
I am not talking about image or demeanor, i am talking about rhyme form. Listen to Eminem's flow back on Slim Shady, then listen to his NEW style. He moans the lyrics now, rather than his old battle style, i.e., the man is trying to be more like alternative rap than hip-hop, i.e., the man is crossing back and forth like a chicken on crack.
And I'm not talking about image, demeanor or rhyme form. I'm talking about artistry. Eminem is a true artist that knows he must reinvent himself to stay affloat. Mufuckas don't wanna hear that battle shit on every record. He'll go back to that when he feels he should (personally I can't wait). You gotta respect the man as an artist.

tadou said:
What it all comes down to is that...........and i hate to have to say this, because i know cats is gonna BITCH and WHINE and complain and say i dont know what im talking about............unless you know the SLIGHT differences that separate--for example--DMX, Ghostface Killah, Nas, RZA & Jadakiss...then you'll NEVER understand how much the game changed WITHOUT Eminem....
You still gotta give him his credit regardless of any of that. You're making a blank point with that statement. Other emcees will give him credit for what he's done for the culture and that's really what counts.

tadou said:
Eminem's style is exactly what Jadakiss was doin 3 years ago....do the homework! (no disrespect meant by that, mind you) The only difference is, other rappers have moved on, but fans are JUST NOW noticing multi-syllable rhyming, and think its the illest shit ever, when in fact, its been done since the early 90's...just not by Vanilla Ice!!!!!
Homework shmomework ... Again, this isn't a debate on style because I never mentioned anything about style (I don't believe I did anyway). It's like cats look for a reason to say why he's not what others make him out to be. When they should just give credit where credit is due and leave it at that.

Funny you don't have a problem with Nas. Don't get me wrong, I've always been a Nas fan. You say he has his own style but you're forgetting he's just a Rakim reincarnation.... Funny that doesn't come up tho ... hmmmm