Baltimore Investigates Death of Man in Police Custody

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
i dont think so bruh. unless they really want to burn bmore to the ground so they can make way for new real estate. but i think these cops gonna do some hard time, hopefully in gen pop.
It's going to be a hard fight anyway you cut it. The system is still set up and rigid in a way that will be beneficial to these officers no matter the charges. They have a lot more rights and options than any of us would given the same charges. Hopefully this DA is very competent and has a strong team, she's going to need it. Regardless of all that the fact that these charges were even brought forth and that arrest warrants have been issued is great progress but its just the start of what needs to happen with a majorly out of control issue in this country.

Jul 24, 2005
i dont think so bruh. unless they really want to burn bmore to the ground so they can make way for new real estate. but i think these cops gonna do some hard time, hopefully in gen pop.
bruh that what they want it's a reason larry hogan our governor is walking around north and Pennsylvania ave maybe the poorest hood in Baltimore he's a former real estate agent and please believe he still has friends that can triple there money and can buy up the properties around here if and when they burn this mofo down, I don't mean to sound like a broken record but gentrification is real here the average single person has to make at least 71,000 just to make ends meet here

Arson

Long live the KING!!!!
May 7, 2002
I think they broke his neck kneeling on it, and then killed him with a nickle ride, anybody who ever done anytime knows all the brutal and sick things these creeps do to people.

Rasan

Producer
May 17, 2002
Chula Vista, South Bay, San Diego, California
Jul 24, 2005
Rasan bruh I agree with him of all people we had a week of peaceful protest than that Saturday a bunch of outer towners came here in incited the riots the following Saturday, and that Monday those kids was set up at douglass high school for one thing if you are in school all day and when school is dismiss it's no school buses and they closed the subways station, than on top of that you see the police in riot gear over some bs propaganda someone put over the internet talking about let's purge mondawin mall fuck outta here with that bs how many niggas you know watch that bs that whole thing was stage so the kids can burn down that whole area is prime real estate that's why the mayor said in the video I posted let them burn a certain area which is the north ave and Pennsylvania corridor one, block which is Eutaw st separate the poor in rent the average person pays no less than 500.00 in rent on the poor side but across Eutaw in Bolton hill the average home is going for 250,000 or more so you tell me who's going to win out in this situation just last week a developer brought up the whole area I'm going to put the link when I find it and all he's going to do is wait for the not guilty verdict and let the niggas burn there own neighborhood he might resale the land to the highest bidder and double his money because the area will be a commodity, sorry for the rant but this gentrification shit is real here in Baltimore and theses dumb ass niggas don't see it

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2005
Developer hopes to bring stores to riot-damaged and vacant city buildings
Carl Verstandig, CEO of Americas Realty
Baltimore, MD -- May 4, 2015 -- Carl Verstandig, president of America's Realty LLC, stands in the vicinity of Pennsylvania and North Avenues, where his company plans to reinvest in the riot-torn area. Barbara Haddock Taylor/Baltimore Sun (Barbara Haddock Taylor / Baltimore Sun)
By Lorraine Mirabella The Baltimore Sun contact the reporter

Real Estate Property 7-Eleven Donald C. Fry

“I still believe in Baltimore. Longer term, it will come back stronger than ever.”
Pikesville firm wants to invest $15 million buying and redeveloping Penn North real estate

For 29 years, Carl Verstandig's Pikesville-based company has been buying rundown, vacancy-plagued shopping centers in distressed neighborhoods and enticing tenants with offers they couldn't refuse — free rent for a time and the ability to walk away with no penalties.

The formula worked, and many of the merchants, most of them independent, stayed, breathing new life into centers across Baltimore and 22 states.

On Monday, Verstandig, the CEO and president of America's Realty LLC, stood on a corner at North and Pennsylvania avenues in West Baltimore, ground zero of riots that broke out last week, and saw possibilities for redevelopment.
CVS plans to rebuild as Baltimore works to help riot-torn businesses
CVS plans to rebuild as Baltimore works to help riot-torn businesses

His company is prepared to invest about $15 million in riot-damaged and vacant properties along the North and Pennsylvania corridors and turn them around with its formula of using lease incentives to lure tenants, Verstandig said. He began exploring the idea after being contacted last week by property owners looking to sell.

"With what has happened in Baltimore, a lot of people that I've spoken to have said, 'We've had enough. This is more than we can take. We're going to walk away,'" he said. But "I still believe in Baltimore. Longer-term, it will come back stronger than ever."

Verstandig's faith in the city stems from his own history with it. His father owned Sam's IGA corner store in East Baltimore during the 1960s, and his family lived upstairs. When riots broke out in 1968, the store was untouched.
lRelated
After riots, now come the insurance claims

Business
After riots, now come the insurance claims

See all related

"The neighborhood knew we lived there; we gave food to the neighborhood," he said. "We were open during the riots. The neighborhood protected us from looters. When they came in, the neighborhood stepped in and we made it through."

America's Realty has identified about a dozen properties it hopes to buy, some damaged, many vacant, along two miles of North Avenue and along more than a dozen blocks of Pennsylvania and is negotiating with some of those owners, Verstandig said. It has lined up small grocers, independent pharmacies, urgent-care center tenants and others interested in moving in.

"We come to an area like this," he said Monday at Pennsylvania and North, "and we look at where the void is."

He motioned to one of the rioting's most visible scars, a burned-out and boarded-up CVS Pharmacy. It's one of 235 businesses Baltimore officials identified as sustaining damage April 27, the day of the funeral for Freddie Gray, the 25-year-old man who died from a spinal injury he received in police custody.
After cleanup from Baltimore riots, some fear economic scars will linger
After cleanup from Baltimore riots, some fear economic scars will linger

In the wake of looting and arson, businesses were left with damage from broken windows to total loss of property and merchandise, said William H. Cole, president and CEO of Baltimore Development Corp., which on Monday launched the BaltimoreBusinessRecovery website in an effort to assist damaged and shuttered businesses and connect them with city, state and federal resources.

The BDC has been in touch with about 80 percent of the owners of damaged property, Cole said. Many have reopened and those that haven't "are intent on reopening, and we're doing everything humanly possible to make that process as seamless as possible," he said.

Cole said the city will "work with anyone willing to invest in our neighborhoods."
cComments

False. There was no order to "stand down". You are lying. The only guy to have made this claim has now recanted (or "clarified") his statement. He now admits he never heard Rawlings-Blake say any such thing. I always love the wingnut tactic of imagining what their opponent...
IsabellaF
at 2:02 PM May 07, 2015

Add a comment See all comments

"It's critically important that we get a lot of private investment… in the communities that are impacted," to bring in jobs and services, said Donald C. Fry, president and CEO of the Greater Baltimore Committee business organization. He added that both government and private sector investment is necessary.

Verstandig said it could cost $30 million to $40 million to rebuild damaged properties in the Pennsylvania and North corridors alone — citywide rebuilding efforts would cost much more.

America's Realty plans to seek tax breaks and other assistance from the city and the state to help with redevelopment costs and allow it to give breaks to tenants. Verstandig's plans include offering a year's free rent and the ability to walk away from a five-year lease after three years if tenants are not satisfied with business.
Carl Verstandig's shopping center empire
Carl Verstandig's shopping center empire

"The retailers that we've spoken to are very interested in going into the city … and we feel the folks in those areas deserve to have good neighborhood stores," he said. "The demographics are very strong. There are a lot of people who need services."

Valencia Langston, who lives near Mondawmin Mall but has an aunt who lives near the burned-out CVS, said the loss of the store has been difficult for her aunt and other family members who need prescriptions but have no transportation.

"It needs to get better," said Langston of the neighborhood. "I want that CVS back. My family needs that."

CVS said Monday it is planning to rebuild.

Verstandig says his company, which started 29 years ago with a Parkville shopping center redevelopment, has a successful track record redeveloping and re-leasing inner city centers. The company now owns 284 centers nationwide, including Edmondson Village Shopping Center, Pimlico Center, Belvedere Thrift Center, Oakleigh Shopping Center and Liberty Center in Baltimore.

Verstandig also operates a separate company, founded before America's Realty, that purchased 14 vacated 7-Eleven convenience stores in the city. The developer outfitted the stores and leased them to family-owned operators, many of whom remain in business.

"When you see a city burned, torched and looted and people are out there and cleaning up the day after, to me that gives me confidence," he said. "When you see the city come together after destruction instead of staying in their houses and hiding, it shows me they deserve to have services that aren't there anymore.

Jul 24, 2005
and like I said before those cops are going to get off They are going to beat this case base off of collusion how the hell a council man and states attorney are married and both are speaking out about justice for a victim against their city employees any lawyer can get this case thrown out easily

Police charges in Freddie Gray case are incompetent at best
Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby's "quick" and "decisive" action in charging six Baltimore police officers a mere two weeks after the death of Freddie Gray reflects either incompetence or an unethical recklessness.

Alan Dershowitz, the noted defense attorney, sharply criticized her for using her charging power as "crowd control." John Banzahf, a George Washington University law professor, predicted the eventual dismissal of most if not all the charges. The breadth of the charges, Ms. Mosby's overreaching, is all-too-obvious.
lRelated
Prosecutor's timeline in the Freddie Gray case

Baltimore City
Prosecutor's timeline in the Freddie Gray case

See all related

Any prosecutor interested in the truth and in justice would have used all the tools at her disposal to find them. Ms. Mosby ignored them. She has one of the most experienced homicide prosecutors in the state of Maryland as chief of her homicide unit, but did not ask him to investigate. She had the police report all of one day before filing charges, her mind already made up. And she failed to make use of the grand jury to gather, probe and test the evidence before a group of average citizens.
Who are the officers charged in the Freddie Gray case?
Who are the officers charged in the Freddie Gray case?

In fact, Ms. Mosby was so hasty it appears she locked up two completely innocent officers. She charged Freddie Gray’s arresting officers with “false imprisonment” because she said the knife that Gray had on him was legal. In fact, as The Sun reported, the Police Task Force found it to be illegal after all. It was Ms. Mosby who had no probable cause to lock the arresting officers up, an injustice she could have easily avoided by taking her time.
cComments

Ms. Mosby's charges were based on her own investigation. Once the BPD submitted theirs she filed charges. Her mind was made up based on what she discovered on her own. BPD should not be investigating themselves, it should be an investigation independent of the normal channels. She is...
Sabenah
at 10:50 AM May 10, 2015

Add a comment See all comments

The Fraternal Office of Police called Ms. Mosby's charges an "egregious rush to judgment." It smacks more of a calculated push to the spotlight, filing charges after a mere two weeks. She conducted her own "parallel" investigation using her police integrity unit (the only unit listed on her published staffing tree missing the name of a supervisor.) She had no time to evaluate the crucial autopsy report, or consult with experts about its implications. In her haste to step into the national limelight, she circumvented normal charging procedures by grabbing a member of the sheriff's office to swear to their truth and file them for her. She calculated her actions for surprise and maximum effect, and she got it.

Published ethical standards prohibit the use of a prosecutor's powers for political (crowd control) or personal (career ambition) purposes. They demand that prosecutors be fair and objective and protect the innocence. Instead Ms. Mosby, without all of the evidence yet available to her, pandered to the public by promising "justice" for Freddie Gray.
Freddie Gray prosecutor comes from family steeped in policing
Freddie Gray prosecutor comes from family steeped in policing

In the long run, Ms. Mosby may be undermining the cause of justice rather than promoting it. She has created an expectation of guilt and conviction. If that does not happen, many will blame the system as unfair or unjust, when it may have been Ms. Mosby's own lack of competence and/or arrogance in bringing charges so quickly.

And she has created a new expectation in the city: that police officers who arrest without what she considers to be probable cause (a subjective standard) are subject not just to civil action (the current norm) but criminal action. Mere mistakes, or judgments exercised under duress, can land them in the pokey.

If I were a Baltimore police officer, I'd be looking for another job immediately. And as a Baltimore citizen, I may start looking for someplace else to live. When the police cannot depend upon the state's attorney to be as thorough, competent, non-political and fair with them as she is supposed to be with all citizens, none of us will be safe

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-freddie-gray-mosby-20150505-story.html

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2005
The boy forgot who his boss was and more head's will roll soon,they are taking all of Marilyn Mosby allies from her, to make her the escape goat for this fail trial and I don't blame them

Baltimore Mayor Rawlings-Blake fires Police Commissioner Anthony W. Batts

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake fired Police Commissioner Anthony W. Batts Wednesday, saying his presence had become a distraction in a city that needs to focus on ending a dramatic spike in homicides.

"Too many continue to die on our streets, including three just last night and one lost earlier today," Rawlings-Blake said. "Families are tired of feeling this pain, and so am I. ... We need a change."

The mayor's decision to replace Batts on an interim basis with Deputy Police Commissioner Kevin Davis — effective immediately — came as the City Council was preparing to send her a letter calling for Batts' resignation. And the city's police union was poised to hold a no-confidence vote next week.
Batts: 'I've been proud to be a police officer for this city.'
Batts: 'I've been proud to be a police officer for this city.'

Batts was under attack on multiple fronts amid the disclosure that some police stations have been closed to the public after 7 p.m. and news that three people were shot to death Tuesday night near the University of Maryland's downtown campus. On Wednesday morning, the Fraternal Order of Police issued a highly critical report of police leadership during the recent rioting.

In her late afternoon news conference, Rawlings-Blake said she was responding not to that report, but to her concern about continued violence. "Recent events have placed an intense focus on our police leadership, distracting many from what needs to be our main focus, the fight against crime," she said.

Her timing surprised some. Just hours before announcing that she had fired Batts, the mayor's office issued a statement denouncing the union's report as "no more than a trumped up political document full of baseless accusations, finger pointing and personal attacks."

Batts, who was confirmed to a full six-year term last September, told The Baltimore Sun that he leaves the job proud of his service.
lRelated
Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony Batts

Baltimore Crime Beat
Baltimore Police Commissioner Anthony Batts

See all related

"I've been honored to serve the citizens and residents of Baltimore," he said. "I've been proud to be a police officer for this city."

Under the terms of his contract, he will get $190,000 in severance plus a payout for unused leave. He had been earning $201,700 a year.

Rawlings-Blake's decision was applauded by many church and political leaders, some pointing to the rise in homicides, which reached a 25-year high in May when 42 people were killed. In June, 31 were killed.

But others pointed to the commissioner's rocky relationship with the community — and with rank-and-file officers.

"It's very clear that the coach has lost the locker room," said Councilman Brandon M. Scott. "Once the coach has lost the locker room, it's up to the manager to the make the decision that either the coach goes or the locker room goes."
We cannot grow Baltimore without making our city a safer place to live. We need a change. - Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake

The Rev. Jamal H. Bryant, a civil rights activist and pastor of Baltimore's Empowerment Temple, praised the "incredibly good decision on the mayor's part to start the process of healing between the community and the police department."

Rawlings-Blake, who hired Batts in October 2012, described much of his record in positive terms Wednesday, saying he had instituted many reforms. She said he put more officers on the streets during the hours when crime is more likely to occur, brought more transparency to the agency and improved police accountability. "This was not an easy decision," she said.

Under his six-year contract, if Batts were fired for "just cause" — defined as alcoholism or drug use, committing a felony or being persistently negligent — he would not be entitled to severance. In being terminated without cause, he is entitled to the severance and payout. Sean Naron, a Rawlings-Blake spokesman, said Batts' immediate dismissal Wednesday is considered a firing.

It's unclear how soon the mayor may look to name a permanent replacement for Batts. She hailed Davis, who previously held police leadership positions in Prince George's and Anne Arundel counties, for his "decades of distinguished service and results."

"Under his leadership, we will continue to take guns off of our streets. We will continue our focus on repeat violent offenders," Rawlings-Blake said. "We'll continue to look for ways to hold officers who act out of line accountable for their actions."

Warren Alperstein, an attorney who represents about 30 Baltimore police officers who were injured during the rioting after the death of Freddie Gray, warned that officers may associate Davis with Batts, potentially stalling progress.

"The resentment is not just toward the commissioner himself," Alperstein said. "It certainly extends throughout his administration."
Document: Anthony Batts' employment agreement
Document: Anthony Batts' employment agreement

While some focused on the deteriorating relationship between the police union and the commissioner, state Del. Curt Anderson, a Baltimore Democrat, saw Batts' chief failing as not being able to reform the culture of the department. A Baltimore Sun investigation last year found that city taxpayers had paid nearly $6 million since 2011 to settle 102 lawsuits alleging police brutality and other misconduct.

"I know there was a lot of frustration over what was going on in Baltimore," Anderson said. "Clearly when the discussion about the police commissioner becomes more important than actual problem, the mayor has to remove that obstacle."

Anderson counseled Davis to get a strong leadership team in place so he can carry out his agenda. If Davis is unable to take control, Anderson said, it will raise the question of whether the lower ranks are the department's real problem rather than its leadership.

Still, Anderson, the co-chair of the General Assembly's new working group on public safety, said he'd prefer someone from outside the agency be chosen as Batts' permanent replacement.

"I'm not sure a person who's in the system can see it for what it is," he said.

Councilwoman Rochelle "Rikki" Spector said Davis' appointment, with his knowledge of the area, is promising. Batts had relocated to Baltimore from California, where he had long worked in law enforcement.

Davis is "closer to home, so I am hoping that makes a big improvement," Spector said. "We do have a problem when you bring someone in who doesn't know North Avenue from Northern Parkway."

Councilman Nick Mosby thanked Batts for his service, but said a change in leadership was necessary.

"I hope this change will be a complete reset of a cooperative relationship between the mayor, the city council, rank and file officers, the commissioner's office, and the community," Mosby said. "Baltimore sorely needs leadership during this time of crisis."

Councilman Edward Reisinger said members were preparing Wednesday to draft a letter to Rawlings-Blake calling for Batts' resignation. Council members discussed delivering the letter as early as Thursday. Reisinger said he's glad the mayor took action first.

"It's overdue, way overdue," Reisinger said. "Batts said he had a plan. I hadn't seen anything."

Two council members — Robert Curran and Warren Branch — said they continued to support Batts. Some community members also defended him.

Munir Bahar, co-founder of the city's 300 Men March, said Batts' resignation won't fix the cultural and systemic problems creating violence in Baltimore. Having Batts shoulder the blame deflects the need to for the city to address long-standing problems.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...-md-ci-batts-fired-20150708-story.html#page=1

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2005
batts brought this on him self by leaking information to the states attorney and the Baltimore Sun homie forgot who his boss was plain & simple